Unofficial Portkey Archive

Brothers by Choice by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Brothers by Choice

Konflickted

A/N: Yes, I realize that it's been months since I posted, and I am sure that few are still following it, but I still wanted to write, and I didn't want to leave this story undone. I was suffering from the six/seven chapter syndrome (also known as the SSCS). It's when you sit down to write the sixth or seventh chapter and completely can't figure out what you want the direction to head in. I blame that or my real life (or the two stories I wrote in between).

Disc.: Plot mine. Characters not.

At Home

It was near midnight, and all through the house of Potter, there were the silent sounds of sleeping souls. James and Sirius were passed out in Sirius' room, Peter, Frank, and Remus were asleep in the small spare room, Lily and Alice nestled in James' bed, and the matriarch and patriarch Potter in the master suite. Not even the wind brushing the tree's leaved branches against the old lead glass could wake them. All was peaceful and all was calm, despite their arrival at the house of Potter. It was no surprise that the door chime, echoing through the halls of the house woke them all quite immediately, their hearts in their throats, pounding away quite mercilessly. Each of the being sprung from their beds, wands drawn, as they rushed from their rooms. Despite the tension, James couldn't help but grin to see Lily clad in his favorite tee shirt and sweat pants, both much too big for her small frame. At Mr. Potter's insistence, the kids remained on the stairs behind Mrs. Potter, who stood as a frail barrier between them, as Mr. Potter opened the door.

"Augusta, thank God," Mr. Potter said as he pulled the weary woman in, pulling her into a strong embrace moments after securing the door. Frank, seeing his mother, pushed his way through the masses and nearly tackled the small woman as she stood there with Mr. Potter. She smiled weakly as she threw her arms around her son, holding him to her tightly. Tired and battle worn, she hung on to her son tightly, not wanting to release him quite yet. Mr. Potter gestured to the parlor, where Faldo immediately appeared with a large tray of tea. Frank helped her to the nearest chair at Mrs. Potter's suggestion and eagerly handed her a cup of tea. She was tired; her face cut up and bruised.

The kids remained in the door way a bit as tea was poured and Mr. Potter gestured for the frightened young witches and wizards to put away their wands and join them. James watched as Lily and Alice slowly entered the room, still gripping onto each other's arms for stability.

"Alice, honey," Mrs. Longbottom said pulling herself to her feet, embracing the young woman. The others remained quiet as Mrs. Longbottom hugged her. "You are going to come home with me and Frank. You needn't worry about anything, child."

"My… my mom," Alice sobbed as she fought gallantly to maintain some control, though her parents had only died but hours before.

"Your mother was my best friend and we made arrangements on both ends to make sure you kids were ok," Mrs. Longbottom said wearily.

"What happened, Augusta?" Mr. Potter asked quietly. The kids were piled around the room, Alice having abandoned the elder Longbottom's arms for Frank's arms. For a minute, so brief and fleeting, James wondered what it would be like to have someone in his arms like that. He shook the thought from his head and joined Remus and Sirius on the long sofa; Peter took a spot on the floor. Lily sat near them, tucking her legs under her as Mrs. Longbottom settled back against the chair.

"Jan, Ted, and I came back to the beach houses after having spent the evening out, to find that the house had been ransacked," Mrs. Longbottom said. "This was above and beyond the normal teenage boys look the house had kept. I heard a crash from next door, and I rushed over there immediately, but Jan was… already… hit. The house was crawling with Death Eaters. We, Ted and I, battled a good many of them, but then we heard the kids coming, and Ted yelled for me to run and get the kids to safety."

"There were so many of them, the Death Eaters, demanding to know where Sirius was. Whatever they wanted with him, I didn't wait to find out, just shoved Sirius through the grate first, then the others. Right after James went through, a swarm of them crashed through the door and I just barely escaped with my life. If members of the Order hadn't shown up, I don't know what would have happened," Mrs. Longbottom said quietly. Several minutes passed in silence.

"Augusta, you did what needed to be done and the important thing is the kids are all safe, thanks to you and Ted and Jan. Nothing else more needs to be said," Mrs. Potter said quietly, patting Mrs. Longbottom's arm. She turned to the kids. "Boys, you will have to squeeze in with Sirius and James tonight. Faldo will get the cots from the attic. Augusta, you can take the spare room and stay as long as you like."

"You've always been so kind," Augusta murmured as she nodded to Mrs. Potter. James felt his heart swell for his mother, for she really was a wonderful woman. Mrs. Potter looked over at her son with worry and concern, but said nothing.

"I think the kids should head back to bed," Mr. Potter said calmly. "There will be time in the morning to discuss more, should more need be discussed."

"But," the kids all complained weakly. Mr. Potter shook his head and pointed, each of them knowing that he meant it. Frank, Alice, and Lily all stopped to hug Mrs. Longbottom before heading towards the door to the parlor. James hugged his mother, and Mrs. Longbottom pulled Sirius into a hug, before the seven were sent off to bed.

Sirius' room was crowded, James and he in the big bed while three canvas cots were crammed on either side of the bed and at the foot. There was hardly any room to move around. It was dark in the room, Peter's soft snores almost deafening in the silence. James tucked his arm behind his head, deep in thought.

"You awake?" Sirius asked in a whispered voice, poking James in the shoulder roughly.

"If I wasn't, I'd be about now," James whispered back.

"Me too," Remus piped up from his cot.

"As would I," Frank whispered. The four hesitated, almost expecting Peter to chime in, but his snores punctuated the night.

"I feel responsible for Alice's parents'," Sirius said quietly. "I mean, I know Prewett and I don't get along that great, but I feel like it is my fault that her parents are dead."

"It's not your fault," James implored as he pushed himself into a sitting position on the bed.

"The Death Eaters were there because of me," Sirius said crossing his arms. Remus and Frank crawled onto the end of the bed, ignoring Peter's whimpers and snores.

"Sirius, they'd have come after us all anyways," Frank said quietly. "My mum was talking to Dumbledore and they are recruiting left and right. Its only a matter of time before one of them comes looking for one of us. Your time just happened to be up."

"Still," Sirius said shrugging. "I feel awful."

"I'll be ok," James promised. The others looked at him skeptically. They knew he was full of it. There was no way that James could legitimately say that with much convincing.

The boys finally fell asleep before dawn and were awake well before noon. The mood at the breakfast table was subdued. Lily and Alice both looked like they had been crying most of the night, their faces red, splotchy, and puffy. James glanced over at her several times, worried about her. Mr. and Mrs. Potter were quiet, dignified as they are, the teenage boys a little less so. Mr. Potter had the paper unfolded, reading it. Without words, Mr. Potter handed it to Lily.

Sirius and James exchanged a look, uncertain. Lily opened it and read without comment or word, folding over the top page to look at the names listed. It was then that James realized that Lily was reading the obituaries. James watched her eyes widen slightly, her breath caught in her chest. He watched her struggled with control for a moment before she drew a shaky breath and passed the paper to the next person, skipping Alice.

"Alice, Frank, and Lily," Mrs. Longbottom said quietly. "We're going to stay here for a few more days at Dumbledore's request."

"Ok," Alice and Frank said. Lily only nodded once, and continued to focus on her thoughts.

"Maybe the kids would be more comfortable outside in the garden once the Order starts to arrive," Mrs. Potter said. Mrs. Longbottom nodded.

"We want to stay," James protested. Mrs. Potter raised her eye brow. "I want to join."

"You're too young," Mrs. Potter said shaking her head. "When you're out of school, I'm sure that Albus and the rest of the Order will be more than happy to have you in their ranks."

"But mom…" James said in a borderline whiny tone. Sirius kicked him under the table as the door bell rang. Everything and everyone froze, fear gripping their hearts. James felt his stomach clench uncomfortably. The fear was starting to wear on them in quite a painful way.

"Stay here," Mr. Potter said as he swiftly rose and headed out of the dining room. Mrs. Longbottom and Mrs. Potter followed, pulling their wands out at the same time. They could feel their hearts pounding in their chests as they also moved to the doorway, crowding to see.

"Oh, thank god," Mrs. Potter said as Professor Dumbledore entered the foyer followed by an older man with a thick, stately beard.

"Sorry I didn't message ahead," Professor said apologetically. He lightly kissed the cheeks of Mrs. Potter and Mrs. Longbottom. "Augusta, your holding up spectacularly."

"As good as can be expected," Mrs. Longbottom said. He nodded grimly. Professor Dumbledore's eyes fell on the children.

"Ah, nearly all of my rising sixth years Gryffindor students, including my prefects," he said beaming. He turned to the man who up to this point had not been addressed. "Alphard, do you see him?"

"Aye," the well dressed man said nodding once in a distracted way.

"Perhaps, if you'd be so kind, Sirius, Alphard, and I may use your drawing room?" Professor Dumbledore asked politely as he addressed Mrs. Potter. She hesitated before nodding once.

"Sirius, come along," she said as lead the way away from the dining room, across the foyer and into the other room. Sirius looked at James; the two boys shared a look of uncertainty. Professor Dumbledore chuckled.

"I promise no harm will come to you," Professor Dumbledore said. Sirius nodded once as he eyed the other man warily. Mr. Potter signaled for the rest of the kids to continue their breakfast without Sirius.

It was three hours later when Professor Dumbledore, Sirius, and the man called Alphard exited the room. The three of them looked pleased with whatever the outcome was. James and the others had spent that time, sitting on the stairs, waiting. Sirius looked up at James, grinning, and gave him the thumbs up signal. James grinned back, relief spreading through him. Professor Dumbledore saw Alphard out of the house before joining Mr. and Mrs. Potter, and Mrs. Longbottom in the other room.

"It's fantastic," Sirius said as he hurried up to where James was sitting. "That man, Alphard, is my mother's brother. Another twisted branch in my family tree, and he's financing my education. I don't have to worry about anything, he promises."

"That's fantastic," the others said. James frowned.

"You were worried?" James asked. Sirius shrugged. James scowled. "You shouldn't have been. You know my parents think of you as their son. They'd have taken care of you."

"I know," Sirius huffed slightly. "Still, I didn't want to impose and now I don't have to."

"So… you're like, going to leave and live with this uncle of yours that you never met?" James asked slightly annoyed. Sirius frowned, crossing his arms.

"You want me to leave?" he asked, affronted by James' frown.

"Did I say you had to leave?" James said. Sirius glanced up to see the others retreating, except for Remus who probably remained to be a mediator.

"No, but…" Sirius said. He frowned, a crease forming on his forehead. "Why are you suddenly so pissed?"

"You're supposed to be my best mate," James said. Sirius looked at him with wide eyed surprise.

"I am," Sirius assured him.

"You didn't tell me you were worried about the money thing," James protested in a growl. Sirius laughed loudly.

"Dude, if I knew it was going to cause so much problems, I'd have asked you for some money or something," Sirius teased. James was still tense. Sirius laughed louder. "How about this, you can buy me some new Quidditch pads. I think last year's are going to be too small. They were a bit snug. Oh, and new underwear. I think I left more pairs between Hogwarts and the Shrieking Shack than I brought."

"Is that what happened to all my underwear last year?" James said making a face.

"And you thought it was the house elves," Sirius laughed. He thumped James in the shoulder hard and the two boys started snarling and snapping playful at each other.

"Mum! Should we see if there are any stray dogs needing castration?" James called as Sirius sprung on him, the two wrestling around on the landing. Alice, Lily, and Frank popped their heads out the door to look at what was causing the commotion. Peter, the elder Potters, and Mrs. Longbottom watched as Remus backed up, allowing the two to wrestle around playful.

"At least we never have to worry about those two," Mrs. Potter said as she smiled weakly at them. Frank and Lily laughed, despite themselves, at the antics.

"I've bested you," Sirius said putting James in a pinned head lock. "Say uncle."

"Ugh, fine," James grumbled. "Uncle."

"Haha," Sirius cheered. "I won."

"This time," James said as he pulled himself upright.

The members of the Order arrived soon after, gathering in the dining room while the kids ate dinner that night in the upstairs room. It was a simple meal of soup and sandwiches, the kids nervous as the noise increased slightly with each passing person. Mrs. Longbottom and the Potters remained for the meeting, the three of them in the Order. James frowned, crossing his arms.

"I don't like how we're being pushed aside," James grumbled.

"We're all just sixteen. You can't expect that they'll just let us join up at our age," Lily said knowingly. "When we're of age, I'm certain that they'll let us join."

"Us?" James asked skeptically.

"Yes, us, why?" Lily asked as she crossed her own eyes. She raised an eyebrow at him.

"It's just…"

"What, and think carefully about your words, Potter," Lily said. James shrugged.

"I just didn't take you as the type that would be a fighter," James said. "That's all."

Lily smirked.

"You don't know me at all, Potter. That comment alone proves it," Lily said.

"I guess I should get to know you better," James said. Lily raised her eye brow at him again.

"Or not," Lily said under her breath. Remus heard her, his eyes snapping to hers. Lily grinned at him and continued to eat.

"So, you want to fight? That's great," Sirius said loudly. "See, and here we were worried that once school was done, we'd all walk out of each other's lives forever."

"Yeah, like we'd be able to get rid of you that easily," James teased. James received an open sandwich to his face, mustard side to skin. He glared at the now laughing Sirius.

"Wasn't me," Sirius gasped with laughter. Remus was the only one who didn't have a sandwich in front of him. James glared at Remus. Remus emphatically shook his head.

"Lily," Remus said. Lily looked at him in surprise.

"I'd never throw a sandwich at you, James," Lily lied with a straight face. "And as you can see, I still have my sandwich in my lap."

"Since when did you start eating peanut butter with chicken and tuna salad," James asked skeptically as he looked at the half eaten sandwich in her lap. Lily glanced at it.

"Remus turned me on to it," Lily said as she picked it up off the plate. She didn't hesitate as she took a large bite of the sandwich. James retched.

"That's disgusting," James said. Lily grinned and politely spit the bite back into her napkin. Lily pushed the plate back onto Remus' lap and took a sip of her water.

"Yeah," Lily agreed. James picked the piece of sandwich that had hit him and offered it back to Lily. She laughed and shook her head.

"Ah, well," James said and he polished it off in two bites.

"Ugh," the others grunted in disgust.

"Tomorrow is the full moon," Remus said suddenly, as if it just occurred to him. The others froze, looking at him for a moment. Lily sighed and patted his shoulder.

"It'll be ok," Lily promised him. She snickered. "You think you have it bad. One night of being out of your element. Women have a few days of PMS, up to a week of flow, and then a few more days trying to get back to usual. I'd trade it all for one day."

"I could help you with that," Remus teased. Lily laughed as James glared at him in horror.

"Jeeze, Potter," Lily taunted. "It's a joke."

"I'm taking Frank and Alice home tomorrow," Mrs. Longbottom said quietly that next night at dinner. Mrs. Potter nodded understanding. Remus and Peter had departed that morning, on the eve of the full moon, and everyone knew that they had to get back to living eventually, lest the Dark Lord win.

"I'm going home as well," Lily said. She glanced up to meet James' worried expression but returned her eyes to her plate almost in a flash.

"Well, know dears, you are all always welcome here," Mrs. Potter said. "Our home is your home."

James knew he'd hate to see them all go, even with the new school year fast approaching. He did look forward to getting his old bed back and a little privacy, not to complain about sharing a bed with Sirius, but the poor boy seemed to be shedding a lot. James knew all of them were under an intense amount of stress. It would be good, though, James thought, for Alice to start healing because listening to the faint sobs at night was heartbreaking to say the least. He and Alice had never been best friends, but they had been friends none the less, and seeing a friend in pain hurt as much as being in pain yourself.

The house was quiet by breakfast, Sirius and James sitting across from Mr. and Mrs. Potter at the table, soundless sipping the scorching tea. Mrs. Potter glanced up from the paper. She watched as the two boys sat before her solemnly.

"We will be going to Diagon Alley tomorrow to do school shopping," Mrs. Potter said as she nodded to the two envelopes on the table.

"Are our OWL results in there?" Sirius asked hesitantly.

"They are. Dumbledore brought them late last night. Everyone else should be getting them this morning," Mr. Potter said quietly. "He said that you both did surprisingly well for as much goofing off you two did last year."

The boys grinned as they scooped up their letters. They tore them open, ignoring the rest of the pages that fluttered to the table. They both cheered. They had done well enough to continue with the classes that would allow them to become Aurors. Mrs. Potter had grinned, thankful for the short burst of light that fought to emerge from the dark cloud that still seemed to hold back the sun.

"The best part," James said as he cheered. "Lily and I will still have some of the same classes together."

"Oh, yeah, because you know things are going to change when we get back to school," Sirius laughed as he rolled his eyes.

"Whatever, man," James teased. "You're just jealous that I very well may be able to say I've dated every single girl at Hogwarts."

"Good," Sirius smirked. "Once you're done with the girls, there are some Slytherin boys that could pass as girls for you to work on."

A buttered biscuit whizzed through the air and bounced off of Sirius' face.

"This means war."

-->