Unofficial Portkey Archive

Our Nameless Will by VipyGirl831
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Our Nameless Will

VipyGirl831

Chapter 6-A Union of Lost Souls

Could you love someone enough,
After all you've had and you've lost?
It's a simple question.
I'm only asking because I don't want to die alone.

The Sad Waltzes of Pietro Crespi by Owen

The cave was little more than a crack in the side of the mountain; they had to shimmy sideways through the passage, sliding against the slick walls, covered in mud and slime. Not a word was spoken during the trip, fear of discovery overcoming the need to drown the uneasy silence with small talk. Harry kept Hermione's hand gripped tightly in his own, reveling in its reassuring warmth, and kept his mind open to hers, taking comfort in the steady pulse of emotion connecting them.

She was scared.

But so was he.

Scared in the sense that people were going to die today, and he had no way of knowing whom. Underlying this feeling, though, was a certain sensation of relief; relief that today would bring the end, no matter what the outcome.

He glanced over at the young woman next to him, drinking in the way the shadows from the dim light of her wand played upon the sharp lines of her face, but at the same time gave her skin an overall softness. Her eyes moved up to meet his gaze, full of emotion, but she said nothing.

Looking ahead, he noticed a very small sliver of light. He held up his hand to halt the progression, and then extinguished his wand; the rest of the group repeated the motion, plunging the tunnel into complete darkness aside from the line of faint light up ahead. He shuffled forward, taking care not to make any noise, and looked through the crack. He could see very little, aside from a portion of a dark hallway, and could hear nothing. Muttering a silencing charm on the passage door, in fear of it making any noise when opened, he pushed on the stone door, breathing a small sigh of relief when it slid aside silently, revealing an empty corridor.

The Durmstrang castle was cold; not only in the sense that Harry was glad his robes contained heating charms, but also in that it lacked any sort of comforting feeling. It reminded him of the dungeon of Malfoy Manner where he had been held prisoner for two months.

The rest of his crew crept through the passage door, wands held in tight grips and eyes roaming the castle warily. Remus looked carefully over a copy of the map Wormtail had provided and motioned right. Harry nodded before cautiously heading in that direction. They did not go far, however, before a figure in black rounded the corner, halting at the sight of Harry's battalion. He fired a stunner, but Hermione pushed aside his wand at the last moment, allowing the curse to thud dully into the ground.

"Wait," she whispered, before stepping forward to address the figure. "Narcissa, what are you doing here?" She demanded.

The figure, now identified as Narcissa Malfoy, pulled back her hood, revealing the characteristic Malfoy platinum blonde hair and a distressed face.

"Draco-Draco is still in the castle. Lucius became suspicious and has been watching him carefully. I must get him out of the castle!"

Harry felt a sharp sting of panic. Hermione placed a comforting hand on his arm, steadying him.

"Leave the castle, Narcissa. Do not be seen and wait in the mountains. I will find your son and send him to you."

Narcissa opened her mouth to protest, but Hermione cut her off. "You know very well what drives me to see you both safe. Now go. I have a better chance of saving your son than you do."

Narcissa's face thinned, a remarkable feat considering her natural aristocratic features. "Very well. If you fail in this task and somehow survive, I will kill you."

Hermione took a few steps forward until she was standing directly in front of Narcissa. "Your threats mean nothing to me. But I will help your son, for my own sake."

The older woman wrenched a ring off her left index finger. "Give this to Draco. He will know you speak the truth when you direct him out of this place. He is in Lucius' room, in the old Charms room in the East wing of the castle."

"Fine. Now go."

Narcissa nodded her head slightly and then brushed past Hermione without another word. Hermione approached Harry, her eyes on Narcissa. "I would stun her, and leave her in the tunnel, but it's your call."

Harry rolled his wand in his hand. "I think she fears for her son's life more than anything else. She will be of no threat to us."

"Fine," Hermione said with a half-shrug. "I'm going for Draco now. You continue onward. I'll meet up with you later."

He swallowed heavily, but nodded. "Do you need anyone to assist you?"

"No, I'll be better off alone."

Harry gripped her wrist, pulling her toward him. "Be careful," he pleaded.

Her face softened. "I will. I'll see you soon."

"Okay," he replied, letting go of her. "Good luck."

She smiled at him before turning around and walking in the opposite direction down the corridor.

He felt like calling out, stopping her and telling her to wait in the tunnel, where it was safe, but knew it would have no effect. Instead, he clenched his fists and jaw and tried to place her in the back of his mind.

And then she stopped walking. Suddenly, abruptly, as though hitting a wall.

She spun around and ran at him, crashing into him in a desperate embrace, and then brought his head down roughly to meet her lips. The kiss was frantic, fervent, hard, and quick.

"I love you," she breathed after pulling away. "I don't know how, but I do; I love you."

Harry felt warmth wash through his entire body, the earlier feeling he had attributed to a kind of fondness welling up within him, more pronounced. "Hermione-"

"I know-it's silly and ridiculous and preposterous, but I do, Harry, I do."

He pulled her to him, burying his face in her hair, and breathing deeply. "It's not ridiculous," he murmured, "It's just right." Her hands gripped his shirt tightly. "I love you too, Hermione."

She relaxed somewhat, her body melting into his. "Please-please be careful. You can kill him, Harry. I know you can."

"I will."

She pulled away from him slightly, her eyes piercing into his, flooding him with a torrent of emotions, and then moved out of his arms, taking off down the hallway once again. Harry's eyes followed her until she turned the corner. When she was out of sight, he focused his attention once again on the members of his battalion, all of who starred back with carefully blank faces, aside from a slightly amused Lupin and a smirking Tonks.

"Let's move on," Harry stated curtly before leading the way down the corridor. To his annoyance, Tonks sidled up next to him, still wearing her smirk. "So, lover boy-"

"Tonks-" Harry began, exasperated.

"-I see you're putting the moves on your newest lady friend."

Harry's eyes roamed the dark corridor, searching for any sigh of movement. "Now's not really the time, Tonks."

"Oh? Just a minute ago seemed to be the time, though," Tonks chirped.

The sound of approaching footsteps echoed through the hallway; Tonks immediately dropped her teasing face and shifted into a dueling stance, wand at the ready. Harry motioned to the squad and stepped into the shadows alongside the wall, his battalion mirroring his move.

A lone figure, dressed in customary Death Eater black, approached, and Harry fired off a silent stunner, letting the Death Eater fall to the floor with a thud. Remus walked swiftly forward to pull back the hood of the figure, revealing a young man Harry was unfamiliar with. He shrugged and wrapped the man in ropes with a quick spell before placing a portkey on him to take him back to the dungeons of Hogwarts.

"A patrol?" Hestia Jones questioned, watching the Death Eater vanish.

"Likely. Seems the others haven't raised any alarm yet."

A loud bang sounded throughout the castle, followed by frantic shouts and more loud noises.

Tonks glanced over at him with a teasingly reproachful glare. "Looks like you spoke too soon, Potter."

"Bugger. Alright, let's move."

His group scurried down the narrow corridors, winding around corners cautiously, with wands out and eyes peeled. It took only a few moments before they came across the first battle between Order members and Death Eaters. Flashes of red and green spells shot around the hallway, breaking away stone from the walls and leaving motionless bodies scattered on the ground.

Harry wasted little time in joining the fray, creating a fiery rope from the tip of his wand and wrapping it around the nearest Death Eater, who screamed in pain, dropping to the floor unconscious a moment later. Harry hurried over to the fallen man, binding him in ropes, and placing a portkey on his body, before battling against the next nearest Death Eater.

It was a relatively small skirmish, and Harry's battalion passed through relatively quickly, leaving Charlie's brigade to finish up with this group of Death Eaters, moving deeper into the castle, in search of Voldemort.

Harry scanned his group, taking in any loses; Jamie Dawsh was missing, but Harry placed the knowledge in the back of his mind to worry about later.

"Remus," Harry called.

"Yes?"

"Consult the map-I need to know the quickest route to the Main Hall. Voldemort will be there by now."

Remus nodded.

"Tonks."

"Yessir?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Contact Moody and Bill. Find out where their squads are."

"Got it."

"Take this next right, Harry. Then go down the stairs and follow that corridor. The Main Hall will be at the end."

"Thanks, Moony."

Remus' lip curled upward at the reference to his nickname. "My pleasure, Harry. Always a pleasure."

The look Lupin gave him then made Harry want to stop their progression and have a long talk with the werewolf, reminisce about earlier times. Instead, he took the next right and continued onward.

It would all be over soon.

"Mad-Eye's squad is in a middle of a combat, two floors above the Main Hall. Bill is moving toward there, but his squad ran into Greyback and his wolves when they first entered. They've sustained heavy loses."

Harry bit his cheek to prevent himself from asking about Ron and Ginny.

Later. Find out later.

With a nod at Tonks, she moved back to walk alongside Remus, placing a comforting hand on his arm, whose face was screwed up in furious expression, but said nothing.

They reached the staircase after a short while. Like the rest of the castle, it was made from dark stone, slick and cool to the touch, and decorated with sinister creatures. Harry felt the hairs on the back of his neck rise, and he dived forward, only just avoiding a green bolt that flew over his head, crashing into a gargoyle that adorned the banister behind him.

He swore loudly from the floor, watching as his team fell into defensive positions, crouching along the staircase and watching for their attackers. He gestured to the right, pointing in the general direction of the curse's origin. Moving to a crouching position, he shuffled further down the stairs, ears straining for any sound.

Aside from the noises from distant battles, only silence met his ears.

Facing the solid railing, his head just below the top, he removed an enhanced Wildfire Whiz-Bang from the pouch on his back and tossed it over the banister. The sound of shouted profanities rang out, Harry's cue to stand and start firing curses of a different kind. The rest of his squad followed his example and soon, spells were flying through the air.

A loud thump behind him caused Harry to spin around, only to be tackled to the ground by a pale creature with extended fangs. He tumbled backwards, hitting the ground heavily, but recovered quickly, twisting to pull a stake from his belt, and stabbing the hissing vampire in the chest. Two more landed where the last had fallen. Harry ducked a spell and jumped onto the rail of the staircase, sliding down its length and landing on the first floor. Whirling around quickly, he fired off two stakes from his wand into the chests of the two Vampires he had left behind.

Harry surveyed the area quickly, and then dove behind a stone column. His team was progressing down the staircase, with Tonks in the lead, her wand waving around in furious motions.

A spell hit the column he was hiding behind, blasting away a chunk of the stone near his head. He crouched and swiveled to fire off a retaliatory curse, hitting a Death Eater in the chest.

"Harry!" Tonks panted, running up next to him. "Mad Eye's here."

"Good." Harry whistled sharply, over the sounds of battle, then signaled toward the Main Hall. "Let's go. Moody will clean this up and meet up with us."

He ran out from behind the column, firing curses as he went, moving down toward the large, gaudy doors at the end of the hallway. His battalion followed him, Moody's squad taking their place. His numbers were diminished, but only by a few. He noticed Sturgis Podmore had a nasty gash down his left arm, but still seemed to move speedily, like the rest of the remaining members of Harry's squadron.

"Check the door." Harry ordered Derrick Ackerman, a friend of Bill's from Gringotts.

The man nodded and began to scan for curses. Harry continued to fire spells long-distance into the battle he had just left behind.

"Finished."

Harry licked his lips. "Everyone-"

"We're ready, Harry. As are you." Remus' soft but firm voice reassured him.

"Okay." He took a deep breath. "Stand to the side. Put up shielding charms."

Harry flattened his back against the wall, training his wand on the large double doors. "Three, two, one." With a flick of his wrist, the doors swung open; a shower of spells flew out, sailing past his battalion, all against the stone wall.

After the first wave, they charged, running through the archway and into the massive Main Hall. The Hall itself was larger than the Great Hall at Hogwarts, and far more ominous, not at all helped by the fact that about half of Voldemort's army stood inside, hurling curses at the incoming Order members. He could make out Voldemort himself, sitting in the back of the hall pompously, as though daring for someone to approach him.

Harry steeled his resolve and began to do just that.

He found his progress halted almost immediately by the snarling face of Fenrir Greyback, his pointed teeth dripping with blood. "I enjoyed the taste of your friends, Potter," he rasped.

Harry clenched his jaw, but before he could fire a curse, Remus halted him with a shout.

"He's mine, Harry! Keep going!"

Remus shot off a golden colored beam and moved toward Greyback. Harry ran to the right, weaving around massive columns and exchanging spells with Death Eaters.

Harry just kept moving, trying to ignore the destruction that raged around him. The battle progressed in a blur of events, flashes of significant actions.

The sting of a cutting spell slicing open his shoulder

The glimpse of Hestia Jones falling to the ground in front of him, her eyes wide open and blank.

The retaliating reductor from Harry that blasted a hole in the chest of the Death Eater; the massive flow of blood from the wound that drained his life

The scream of panic from Tonks; watching her rush toward Greyback who had buried his long fingernails into Remus' neck; the red trickle that fell from Remus' mouth

The arrival of Bill and Moody's squads; the rush of the relief at seeing the influx of red hair to the scene

The sight of McGonagall, face white, attempting to hold the contents of her stomach in her hands, innards slipping in between her fingers

The mad cackle of Bellatrix Lestrange and the furious cry of Molly Weasley, promising to revenge her husband.

The odd glint in Lestrange's eyes as she turned her wand on Ginny Weasley, unsuspecting as she dueled another Death Eater

The scream of Molly as the curse hurled toward her only daughter

The explosion of light and sound as the curse struck a solid silver shield, covering both Ginny and her savior

And then the sight of Hermione, face flushed and robes disheveled, looking wondrously unharmed, but absolutely furious, standing in front of Ginny with her wand out. Harry took a full second to stare at her, feeling suddenly refreshed, as if a new wave of energy had slammed into him. The second passed quickly, and he had to dodge a spell with a swift roll to avoid being hit.

"Oh, it's the mudblood! I've been looking forward to killing you for a long time. You've no one to hide behind now, girl!"

"You've always thought yourself better than me, Bellatrix. It'll be my pleasure to prove you wrong. Show me you're more than the Dark Lord's lapdog. Though, I doubt you'll be able to."

"Bitch!"

Harry took care of a few surrounding Death Eaters, then moved toward where Bellatrix and Hermione now furiously dueled. Molly Weasley bustled over to him, hitting away a Death Eater with a rapidly fired spell. Ginny followed, blood flowing from a scrape on her scalp.

"Help Hermione," Harry demanded, wanting more than anything to help her himself, but knowing he had to move on.

Molly's eyes were resolute as she nodded and rushed into the duel. Admittedly, Hermione appeared to be doing more than fine, but Harry did not feel like taking any chances.

"You okay?" He asked Ginny.

She looked disgruntled, but answered in the affirmative before jumping into a duel with a nearby Death Eater.

A loud scream pierced through the air.

Bellatrix lay on the ground, in a puddle of blood, a large spike protruding from her back. Molly looked grim, but relieved, Hermione, painfully blank. He raced over to her, gripping her arm tightly when he reached her. Her faced shifted into one revealing fondness as she took him in, but her eyes remained active, moving around the room wearily.

"You've taken care of the Malfoys'?"

"Yes. Everything's fine."

Harry paused to block an incoming curse with a shield; Hermione fired off a spell toward the curse's origin.

"Hermione-"

She cut him off quickly. "I'm coming with you, Harry. Don't even bother."

He sighed, feeling his voice stick in his throat.

"I'll leave the Dark Lord to you," she reassured him, her eyes conveying a certain tenderness. "But I'll be damned if I let Death Eaters curse you behind your back while you duel him."

"I love you," he declared hoarsely.

She looked surprised for a moment, as if he had not said it earlier, but then smiled. "I know. You can show me how much later, but for now-let's end all this."

He released her, and with a nod they rejoined the battle, moving seamlessly in a fluid motion of blocking spells and returning them, wands twirling in the air with precision. Hermione tended to leave a trail of creatively mauled bodies in her path, while Harry left behind victims who met their fate with a simple reductor.

The time for restraint had ended.

The end was near.

Voldemort was standing when they reached him; he looked gaunt and pale, even more so than normal. His robes hung off his emaciated figure; his fingers spindlier than ever. His eyes, however, still glowed an eerie red; dark magic still poured off his body in waves.

As they approached, a number of Death Eaters encircled them, separating them from the battle raging on so near-by. Hermione moved closer to him, offering a support in her nearness. Harry wished she would not have; Voldemort's snake eyes followed her movement and a wicked sneer appeared on his face.

"Hermione, dear, I see now why you betrayed me. Such a foolish act could only be explained by the weakness that affection brings. Did you learn nothing from me about the dangers of falling prey to such a thing?"

Hermione remained silent, looking composed and relaxed, as though in the midst of a friendly discussion.

"Surely," Voldemort continued, "the death of your muggle parents taught you this lesson."

She stiffened, almost imperceptibly.

"Ah, yes. And what a lesson it was. I thought it was rather well crafted, did you not?"

Her hand tightened around her wand, knuckles turning white.

"It was one of my more clever ploys, I think. It was easy to pull off-a simple glamour to redirect your anger where I wanted it to be, and suddenly you were resolutely against the Order." His lips curled. "And stubbornly faithful to me; a perfect servant: vicious, calculating, cold, and easily manipulated."

"You bastard!" Hermione's sai was flying toward Voldemort before Harry could fully process it, but Voldemort stopped it with a wave of his hand, sending the weapon clattering to the floor in front of him.

"Foolish girl," he hissed. "You could have been at my side, recognized by all. Instead you throw it away for a talentless boy; a boy who will soon be dead, along with yourself. AVADA KEDAVRA!"

Hermione moved instinctively, but Harry met Voldemort's spell with an Expelliarmus, and the wands connected with a familiar golden thread of energy. Voldemort looked surprised, but began to grin as the golden thread darkened to a black color. Harry felt his wand heat up, to the point that he could smell the burning flesh, but refused to let go.

"Did you think, Harry, that I would allow you to use the same trick you used four years ago?"

The heat intensified and sparks began to shoot out of his wand.

"The beginning of your demise, Harry Potter."

And Harry's wand exploded.

The chips of wood buried into his hand, neck, and face. He swore and dropped the smoking remained to the ground, then immediately dodged a curse from Voldemort. Hermione now engaged in battle with the numerous Death Eaters surrounding them, noticed his predicament immediately, cut off from her duel and threw one of her wands to him, and continued using her spare.

He caught it expertly and spun to face Voldemort once again. "PRAVUS FLAMMA!"

The burst of flame that shot out of his wand, more intense than he remembered, engulfed Voldemort. It was difficult to see through the haze the heat created, making Harry unsure how Voldemort was faring under the fire spell, but he held it as long as he dared. When he ended the spell, however, he was disappointed to find Voldemort, charred and slightly shaken, but still standing.

"Impressive, Harry. I see your time with my former servant was well spent."

Harry wiped the sweat from his forehead, still holding his new wand tightly. Out of the corner of his eye, he watched Hermione; stationed just to his right, take down another Death Eater.

"I don't think it's very fair for you to have such help," Voldemort mocked. "I find myself forced to make things evenhanded-it's only the proper thing to do." With these words, Voldemort raised his wand and once again shouted, "AVADA KADAVRA!"

This time, however, the green light flew in Hermione's direction.

Harry, without thought of the consequences, without any thought at all, slammed his body into Hermione's, blocking the curse.

Instead of the end of consciousness that he expected, Harry only felt the jarring pain that came from hitting the hard stone floor and a strange warmth that passed through his bones, a feeling he could only equate to that which the Phoenix Song produced.

He opened his eyes, first taking in Hermione's wide, alive eyes, and then the large dome that surrounded the two of them, a solid but translucent mixture of silver and gold swirls. The dome seemed to pulsate, growing brighter with each passing moment.

Harry stood, helping Hermione get up as well, and took in Voldemort's shocked expression.

"What magic is this?" He hissed, his eyes wide and unbelieving.

He fired off a few spells experimentally, but the dome only absorbed them, growing brighter with each successive hit.

"Hermione," Harry murmured, reaching out toward the dome wall. "What is this?"

The wall was warm to the touch; exuding a sensation a power greater than Harry had ever felt.

"I don't know," she whispered, clearly mystified.

The feeling the dome evoked in him was familiar, somehow, as if he had sensed it, felt it before, in a smaller dose.

"Touch it, Hermione."

The young woman, previously watching Voldemort with an expression of amusement on her face as the Dark Lord grew more and more frustrated, broke away from her observation, seemingly surprised that Harry's hand already rested on the dome.

"What does it feel like?"

Harry smiled, feeling strangely at peace. "I can't describe it. You have to feel it for yourself."

Voldemort was now yelling at his followers; their curses having no more effect on the dome than his own.

Hermione placed her palm hesitantly on the swirling wall of the dome; her eyes fluttered closed when she made contact, a soft smile lighting her face. Harry's smile grew at the sight, and he felt the dome surge, its power intensifying. Hermione's eyes flew open.

"Oh," she gasped, eyes shifting to Harry.

"Wha-"

At that moment, the dome began to shudder, though neither Harry nor Hermione withdrew their hands. The golden and silver swirls that comprised the dome wall started to move congregating on a point in between where Harry and Hermione's hands rested, creating an opaque spot on the dome.

Concentrate. The thought, not his own, flew through his mind.

Puzzled, Harry turned to Hermione, but found her with her eyes closed and the same soft smile on her face. She looked peaceful, content, her shoulders relaxed, her face smooth.

The dense spot glowed brightly before shooting out a vibrant beam, comprised of intertwining silver and gold rays of light. It struck Voldemort directly in the chest, holding for only a moment before the entire dome dissipated, leaving a strong sense of magic in the air.

No one moved.

Voldemort remained standing, his eyes widened and disbelieving.

And then he fell to his knees, his wand cluttering to the floor.

The Death Eaters scattered, recognizing their upcoming defeat.

Harry walked forward, toward the man who had caused so much pain in his life, then stopped directly in front of his rigid figure. He picked up Voldemort's wand from the ground and snapped it in half, letting the pieces drop to the ground, alongside Hermione's sai, now forgotten.

Voldemort opened his mouth, as though to speak, but no words came out.

Harry raised his wand and held it to Voldemort's forehead, mustering up the hatred he felt for the monster before him, preparing to say the two words that would end everything.

"Harry." Hermione stood beside him, looking down at the Dark Lord with a strange expression. "Harry, don't."

"Hermione," he grit out. "I need to end this, now."

"No," she said softly, lowering his wand with a gentle hand. "Not like this."

Voldemort let out a choking sound and fell forward, catching himself with his hands before his face hit the ground.

"You shouldn't have to hate, Harry," she whispered.

"Hermione, I have to-"

"He's dying anyway. Just let him."

"But-" Harry gripped his wand tightly, feeling unsettled. "I need to-"

She shook her head. "You don't."

The strength in Voldemort's arms gave out; he fell completely to the ground, twitching slightly. Harry raised his wand again, arm shaking.

I have to do this. This is what I'm meant to do. I need to do this.

Hermione touched his arm softly, a mere brushing of her fingers against the dirtied fabric of his robes.

It was enough.

His arm dropped, the words of the curse dying before they left his lips.

Voldemort's shuddering stopped.

The Dark Lord was dead.

Notes:

-->