Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Cousin by BigHeadFics
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Cousin

BigHeadFics

Chapter 4 - Waves

A/N: Just to point one thing, in this universe, Bram Stoker never published a book called Dracula, thus expanding the myth of vampire through their culture. Vampires, to everyday humans, are just another sort of boogiemen. And I don't know if Dracula's wife was ever named, so I invented the name, plus most of the background story here.

The ride back home started with a young boy trying to hide while sitting at the large expanse of the limo's backseat. Integra was a bit lost, she never had to deal with children when she was one herself, especially an abused and very frightened children. What she knew was that she'd have to win young Harry's trust first and then help him grow past his horrible childhood.

"We're going to my home," she started, and Harry looked at her. "It's close to London, and a very large place. I guess you'll like it there."

Harry, not knowing what to say, simply nodded.

"Did you have anything to eat?" she asked. It was getting late, lunchtime was quite a few hours ago.

Harry shook his head, and lowered it.

Integra sighed. "Look, Harry… I'll be completely honest with you. I don't have much of an idea of what I'm doing here, I never had to deal with children before, but what I do know, what I promise you is that, while I'm alive, you'll have a roof above your head, food on your plate and someone to care about you. And I'll never, ever, lift my hand against you."

He lifted his head, another measure of hope shining on his eyes. Tentatively, he mouthed something, too low for her to hear.

"Speak louder, Harry."

"W-why?"

"Why I'm doing this?" she asked, and the nod confirmed it. "As I said, our parents knew each other, and your father was my godfather. But before that, our family has a long history of friendship that started with your grandfather, Richard. He knew my great-grandfather, Abraham, and they helped each other out of a severe and dangerous situation. I am sorry for not having done anything sooner, but I just learned about all of this about a month or so ago. I have a debt of honor to your family, one I can never repay fully, but outside of this, I could never let you live with those…aberrations," she said, the last word almost spat.

Harry nodded, and his voice sounded once again. "What will happen with me?"

Integra looked him straight in the eyes, he had something in them, something that looked dormant now, but if awakened… Controlling herself, she started her reply. "Right now, we'll find you something to eat, some better clothes, a nice bath and a decent place to sleep. Tomorrow, we'll talk about the long run. One thing you can be certain of, while the Hellsing family exists, you'll have a place with us, for as long as you want."

Harry nodded again, and the silence stretched for a few more minutes, his eyes unfocused looking out the bulletproof glass. "Wha-what can you tell me about my father?" he asked some time later.

Integra turned to him. "How much do you know?"

"That he… they died on a car accident. Dad was drunk, and they both died on the crash," Harry replied.

Integra almost asked the driver to turn around so she could finish the job, but she figured Harry wouldn't need to watch more violence than he already did on his short life. Clamping on her temper once again, an act that while successful didn't go unnoticed, she turned again to a coiling boy.

"Harry, don't be afraid. I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at your relatives for the lies and the life they submitted upon you. Believe me when I say I wish you absolutely no harm."

Seeing that Harry wasn't relaxing, she started to talk.

"According to the letters that I have in my possession, and yes, I'll give them to you so you can read them, your father was born March 27, 1960, from Richard and Angelica Potter. He was, so says your grandfather, a beautiful baby boy, with a mop of black hair not unlike your own, I believe. He grew up a bit spoiled, on his own admission, but he was loved by his parents and they loved him back. He went to school where he made friends with three other boys not unlike himself, and he was quite the prankster. In there, he met with and eventually fell in love with your mother, Lily. They left the school and married soon after, and your mother was pregnant about a year later. From what I could understand, they worked for a law enforcement agency, and their mission put them against a very powerful and very bad man. They decided to go into hiding to protect you from this man, but one of their friends betrayed them, and he came after them and you. Unfortunately, they perished on the attack, but somehow you survived, while the bad man did not."

Harry was now deeply focused on her tale, his eyes shining with unshed tears.

"One thing your father wrote on the very first letter he sent after you were born, is that he was the happiest man on Earth, you looked a lot like him, with your mother's eyes, and that as soon as he held you in his hands he had fallen in love all over again and for a completely different reason."

The tears started falling right then. It wasn't easy for Integra to see him crying, she had never been able to shed any tears for all the losses she had suffered in her life, but she wouldn't condemn him for doing so. He stopped some time later, and she gave him a tissue, which he looked at oddly.

"If you dare use your sleeve, I'll…" she started, and stopped promptly. Sighing again, she turned to him. "Harry, I must warn you of a few things, things that I'd like you to learn with time, but I think you'll benefit from sooner rather than later. First off is that I have a very important job, one that requires some rather long explanations, but for the time being, all that you need to know is that I'm the head of a very large and very important organization. Because of that, it is expected of me a certain…attitude, a certain bearing, so I was raised to bear this position. I usually have to deal with people in a position of strength, and I have to be stronger than them to get what I want. Do you understand me?"

Harry nodded, his muscles unclenching a bit. Integra figured he was starting to see what this was all about.

"I'm never going to abuse you, either physically or mentally, but to live with me you'll have to learn how to behave among us, and most importantly, you'll have to understand that I might scream, rant, rave and be downright nasty to everyone, even to those I consider allies, friends or family. However, I don't want you to think that I wish you harm, that you can't talk to me, that you can't come to me. I might not be available all the time, but I'll make some time to be with you. Understood?"

Harry nodded once again, and finally accepted the tissue. Integra closed her eyes, slightly content. First step had been given, the rest…time would tell.

*****

It started almost imperceptibly, like a small itch that you don't know where to scratch. The itch grew more and more until it started being slightly uncomfortable. Harry started scratching himself slightly, and that brought Integra's attention to him.

"Something wrong, Harry?" she asked, eyeing him speculatively.

The boy shook his head. "Just an itch."

Integra nodded, but she feared something like that might happen. They were getting closer to the manor, and Alucard, so the wards which protected the boy were probably starting to sense the No Life King.

"Well, if it gets worse, do tell me, please."

He nodded, and got back to watch the landscape roll by, while Integra watched him. A few moments later, they were close enough to the manor so she could feel Alucard's presence, and turned to Harry.

"You're all right, Harry?" she asked. "We're almost there."

Harry looked at her. "I feel…something. It's like static electricity, but over my entire body."

"Are you in any pain?"

"No, not really. It's just strange," he said.

Integra's face fell into a slight frown, his description tickled something in her memory, but she couldn't figure out what. As the gates to the manor opened to allow them through, she heard the insane cackling of the vampire echoing in her mind.

"Wow. Are you the Queen?" he asked, eyeing the huge manor.

The momentary surprise of the question made her forget about the cackling for a moment. "No, but I work for the Queen," she said with a hidden smile.

The limousine stopped right in front of the main entrance, but before they could disembark, Integra held Harry's arm lightly. "You might see and learn several things in the next few hours or days that might sound strange or highly unbelievable, but believe me, most of it is true, and I'll explain all in due time. Understood?"

He nodded, and she let him go. The driver opened the door to them, and she disembarked first, Harry coming right behind her. Suddenly his ears were assaulted by the sound of repeated automatic gunfire, and his eyes grew as big as saucers, but apparently in surprise, not in fear. Integra turned to him and spoke calmly.

"I command a military group with a very specific mission. Don't worry about the gunfire, they're all trained soldiers. Just don't go wandering around the grounds without an adult supervising, it might be dangerous."

When he nodded again, Integra walked to the front door, he following a few steps behind, his awe about the manor and the absurd amount of grounds supplanting the surprise of the sound of gunfire. "I believe you approve, then?" she asked, seeing his delighted face, and she received an impressive smile in reply. "Come, I have a few introductions to make."

He followed her footsteps, and the door was opened by an older looking man using a monocle. "I believe you had success upon your mission, Sir?" he said, looking pointedly at Harry.

"I did, Walter," Integra replied, turning halfway to him. "Harry Potter, I want you to meet Walter Dornenz. Walter is Hellsing Group's retainer, among other things. Walter, Harry James Potter."

"It's a pleasure finally meeting you, young man," Walter said, extending a gloved hand. Harry eyed it carefully for a second but shook it nonetheless.

"Hello," he replied, but his attention was diverted by a sudden chill that grew from his bones and permeated his skin. However, as soon as it came it was gone, and Harry felt a pull in a direction where only the darkest shadows inhabited, an alcove below the main staircase. From there emerged a tall man, and Harry couldn't say if he was there all along or not, he seemed to appear from the very substance of the shadows. He was dressed all in black, in an old style suit that Harry had only seen in history books, the only splash of color a gold cravat pin with a blood red ruby holding the tie in place. His hands were enclosed in pristine white gloves with some sort of motif on them, and his eyes were almost hidden behind rounded yellow lenses. He came closer to them, his strong steps echoing in the large hall.

"Alucard…" Integra said, her tone a warning.

The man, Alucard, lifted a hand, as if to placate her fears, a smile that bordered on the insane adorning his so far serious look. He came close to Harry and looked him straight in the eye.

"I am Vlad Draculea Tepes, Prince of Wallachia, known by the Turks as Kazikli Voyvoda. Who are you, Little Bolt?" he asked, voice strong and intimidating.

Harry, instead of looking fearful, as Integra feared, looked surprised.

"I think not, sir," he replied politely. "And I'm Harry. Harry Potter."

The answer surprised all of them, including Alucard, who raised an eyebrow. "You call me a liar, Little Bolt?"

"No, sir. I know that the man you speak of has been dead for at least five hundred years, so you cannot possibly be him."

"And how does a small slip of a boy like yourself might know this?" he asked, amused. The rest of the adults remained silent.

Harry shrugged. "I read about him in the encyclopedia at the library, when I was still allowed."

Alucard gave away a curt laugh that sounded more like a bark, while Integra fumed. "A learned boy, with enough courage to rise above his own fears. That is good, and it gives me no regrets to do this," the tall man said, and lowered himself to one knee. "As the Hellsing Blood binds me, so does the Potter's. As my Master commands, so I shall obey. What are your orders, Master?" he asked, lowering his head in front of a nine year old boy.

And you could hear a feather drop in the ensuing silence.

*****

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore was a man of many titles, among them being the Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards and Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot. However, the one he prized the most was being the Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the world's foremost learning institute of magic. He was regarded by all, friends and enemies, as a very powerful individual with a very commanding presence and very few, if any, people didn't feel humbled by him.

However, even very powerful people in a position of power still had to deal with paperwork, something that even the greatest wizard of current times couldn't make disappear with a flick of his wand. Now he was reading a request from the Board of Governors that had no real justification, except to generate more paperwork. He sighed, and added his signature, which made the paper promptly disappear to be filed in the proper places. At least magic was good enough to avoid messy filing systems.

He grabbed another paper and started to read, silent wishing for a distraction, and a few moments later he had his wish granted, but in a very strange way. His fireplace was hooked to the floo network, however it was protected to be accessed by very few outside addresses, and when it flared for a moment, he waited for someone to either call him or step through. When neither happened, he stood up and went to check it, drawing his wand at the same time.

Inside it rested a single occupant of the feline variety, a part-kneazle if he wasn't mistaken. One of Arabella's, if memory served him right. While it was believed that squibs couldn't do magic, this wasn't exactly true. In some cases, like the slightly batty old woman, she magic enough to power the floo to send one of her pet half-breeds through, and it could only mean one thing, Harry Potter was in trouble. Wasting no time, he grabbed the half-kneazle in one hand and a pinch of floo powder in another, and in a moment he was walking out of Arabella Figg's own fireplace.

"What's the matter, Arabella?" he asked, his usual jovial demeanor lost. He placed the cat on the ground, where it promptly disappeared among his rather large family.

"Something…something happened at the Dursley's home," the woman said, rather nervous. "I…I was away, buying some food for my babies so I didn't see a thing, but I know that someone very important came earlier today to their house, a muggle woman from what the other neighbors said. She came in a limousine, with lots of security, and she did something to Vernon, he was hurt and then she entered the house. A few minutes later she comes out with Mr. Potter holding hands with her, they go back to the car and depart. The Dursleys then went to a hospital to treat Vernon's wound," she said, almost fainting with the rapid-fire babbling.

Dumbledore was stunned, but he needed to calm her down enough so she could be a bit more coherent. Quickly conjuring a chair, which he lucked out in not hitting any of the cats cramming the floor space, he managed to steer her to it, and helped her sit.

"Now, Arabella, calm down and explain it all to me," Dumbledore asked politely, in his most grandfatherly way.

*****

Dumbledore returned to Hogwarts a couple hours later in a far worse mood than he had left. Arabella didn't have much to add, coherent or not, and his scans over the Dursley's home did not find a speck of magic being used. Whoever had kidnapped Harry, and assaulted the Dursleys, hadn't used magic. Instead, the assault and removal of the boy had used strictly muggle means, which meant that it would be much harder to use his own magics to find out who the attackers had been.

He checked all of his magical sensors, and each told him exactly the same, Harry was fine. That, at least, was some consolation, but he had to find the boy and the Dursleys, as quickly as possible. He dashed to the owlery, it would be far better if young Harry saw an owl rather than Fawkes as his first introduction to the Wizarding world, while thinking on what to write to a boy who had no idea about his past and his heritage.

Albus just hoped it would be enough, and that he wasn't too late to fix things.

*****

Back on Integra's study, Harry was sitting on a chair in front of her desk, with the strange man who identified himself as Vlad Tepes, or as the books called him, Vlad the Impaler to a side, the man Walter waiting behind Integra's chair.

The blonde woman sighed, her hand pinching the bridge of her nose. She looked at the tall man and then at him, and he squirmed under the scrutiny. He felt as if being called in front of his school's headmistress.

"I think the explanations will have to be hastened once again, but first... Walter, ask the kitchen to bring up some food for Mr. Potter, please."

Walter nodded and moved to a side, to talk on the intercom.

"Now, what did you mean `while you were still allowed to read'?" she asked.

"I…Dudley liked to pick on me, he and his friends have this sport called `Harry Hunting'… Only place where I was safe enough while not in class was at the school's library, they wouldn't be caught dead on it. First time I did it, the librarian looked at me strangely, she looked as if I was going to damage the books, when all I was doing was just stand there... so, I pulled some books off the shelves, so I didn't upset her... and since I had them, I figured reading them couldn't hurt. My grades were always better than Dudders and they just improved, and Aunt Petunia got called in and suddenly I was forbidden to be `smarter' than Dudley, and not to cheat to get better grades."

Integra saw him rub a spot on his arm almost automatically, but decided not to press things further right now. Instead, she turned to the tall man. "I know that you have something planned, and I leave things to your discretion, Alucard," she said, and got a curt nod and an insane-looking smile from him. "Now, you probably noticed that Walter called me `Sir', and there is an explanation for that. My full name, Harry, is Integral Wingates Fairbrooks Hellsing, and I am the current head of the Hellsing Organization and also of the Royal Protestant Knights. The Knights are a group of individuals which had been encumbered by the Queen with the mission of protecting Britain against threats of a very specific nature, and the Head position always had the title of `Sir', even if I am female. So far understood? Good.

"Now, what I am going to tell you falls into the unbelievable category I mentioned back in the car, but please try to keep an open mind. Tell me, since you like to read, do you know what a vampire is?"

He nodded. "A creature that drinks blood to survive, is very strong, and is what's called undead. That's the only thing solid that I can remember, the rest is a lot of speculation. Some say they fear sunlight, others garlic, most of them holy symbols. That's it."

Integra half-nodded. "What if I said they aren't a myth? That our mission, the mission of the Hellsing Organization is to fight vampires and their ilk?"

Harry was stunned. "F-for real?"

Vlad turned to him. "You said I am not who I am supposed to be, but do you remember how my story ended?"

"Something about your…Vlad's head being cut… I don't remember all the details."

`Vlad' nodded. "A long time ago, a powerful man, known by his allies and enemies to be a real monster in the battlefield fell, downed by that surreptitious blade that strikes upon all of us, whether we like it or not. That blade, Little Bolt, is called love. I fell in love with the most beautiful woman in my realm, my dear Irina. My country was ravaged by constant war back then, and during one siege of my castle, instead of being captured by my enemies she opted to commit suicide. I had hope back then that one day we'd be reunited in Heaven, so I was captured and regained my freedom and my country some time later, the blood of my enemies coating my blade. However, the worst yet blow to my heart came once again not from the battlefield, but from the serpentine mouth of a clergyman. He said to me that God did not accept people who had taken their own lives in His realm, that my beloved wife who had never taken a single life and never raised her voice in anger against anyone was cast out, forbidden her place in Heaven."

By then, Vlad's voice was full of anger, and Harry could feel the power coming out of him in waves.

"I used my blade once again, and the clergyman and his followers fell, drowning the Holy Ground they were in in their blood. Right then and there, I cast God away from my life, and made a deal with the Devil, to grant me power to destroy my enemies, to drink and bathe in their blood until none existed and to fight a God that had no mercy for my beloved. My soul was cast out, and Vlad Tepes died that day, and in his place the No Life King, Dracula, was born. And I, Little Bolt, am a vampire."

Harry was stunned, and a bit frightened, to be honest, but mostly he was surprised that someone would go to such depths because of their love. He noticed that Dracula…what had Integra called him? Alucard? …yes, Alucard's fangs had grown to an impossible size, and that he looked even more insane than previously. But something wasn't adding up.

"You said your organization fought vampires?" he asked Integra, growing more comfortable in their presence. She nodded affirmatively. "Well, aren't you supposed to be fighting him?"

She gave away a short laugh. "That is where the story of our families merges and becomes rather interesting, and it's time once again to surprise you further. Tell me, Harry, do you believe in magic?"

-->