Unofficial Portkey Archive

My Captive Love by kallee1987
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

My Captive Love

kallee1987

AN: This chapter is going to be a little different because it's from Ginny's point-of-view. I felt that the story was a little one-sided so hopefully this chapter will help balance things out. Just a warning…this chapter goes into more detail of certain sad parts of the story.

Chapter 4

As Ginny sat in the arms of her best friend she thought of how surreal her life had become. If someone had told Ginny four years ago that by the time she turned eighteen Draco Malfoy would be her best friend she would have thought that they were nutters. How could it be possible that the boy who made her and her brother's lives hell in Hogwarts be her best friend?

The end of her fourth year was when her life got turned upside down. Dumbledore had died and had left the place that she considered, like many other people, her second home defenseless. Before his and Sirius' death the strangest thing had happened; Draco left the side of the Death Eaters to join the Order. Right after the funeral she, and many others, said goodbye to the beloved castle for the last time.

The summer was quite an adjustment; The Weasley family abandoned their beloved home to join the rest of the Order, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley along with Mad-Eye, Tonks, Lupin, and Shacklebolt were the heads of the new Order. Ginny was proud that her parents were so vital to the cause but it also hard to hardly ever see them. They all lived in the same home and yet only seemed to see each other at every other meal.

For the first couple months things weren't that bad; Ginny had always been used to chaos and cramped living conditions so the Order headquarters really felt like home. It was amusing to see Draco adjust to his time at the Order. He seemed to always have a look of shock and distress even though he did his best to try and hide it.

A few months later after being constantly left out of everything the loneliness started to get to her. She understood that she was still young and that her family just wanted to make sure that she was safe but it was still aggravating. She knew that she could fight…she had proved just as well as the rest of the group that had gone attempting to rescue Sirius.

It had seemed to Ginny that everyone had someone to rely on. It wasn't until the beginning of August that she began to feel really alone. The twins were still at their shop, Charlie was busy helping out with the Order, Percy was still being a mindless puppet at the Ministry, and Bill had just gotten married, so none of them noticed that their only sister was feeling left out and useless. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville and Luna along with the older Order members were always so distracted and busy that they barely had time to notice her.

After McGonagall and some of the other professors had reopened the school the whole of the Order was on edge. Everyone was waiting for disaster to strike while also hoping that the endeavors of McGonagall were going to work out after all. The attack on Hogwarts left many dead, but the deaths that had weighed the heaviest on Ginny's heart was the deaths of her best friend, Colin Creevey and his little brother. The destruction of her beloved home had just added insult to injury. Precious memorabilia was forever destroyed; even the unique family clock wasn't spared the same fate of the rest of the house.

While the other Order members had gone during the night to salvage the ruins of both Hogwarts and the Burrow, Ginny was left alone with her thoughts and grief. She wondered around the empty old house until she came upon Draco in the kitchen. He had changed a lot in the few months that he had been at the Order but he still remained aloof. She sat down next to him and started their first ever real conversation. What was said didn't really matter. What mattered was that two ex-enemies found acceptance and friendship in each other.

From that moment on their friendship blossomed and bloomed until the point where Ginny would begin to dread when Draco would have to go away to play the "perfect servant" to the monster known as Voldemort and would look forward to his return. He understood her like no one else she had ever met. On the side he would encourage her and teach her how to defend herself and she in return shared her passion for healing with him. As the years passed it became hard to imagine her life without him in it. She found that she had started to rely on him more than anyone else in the Order.

When she turned sixteen she saw her one time crush Harry falling for Hermione. Surprisingly, she didn't mind them getting together as much as she thought she was going to, Ron and Luna had also been getting more and more serious since they had first started dating. Bill and Fleur had left a few months before her birthday to go into hiding. It had been so exciting to become an aunt but it was also discouraging to know that it wouldn't be until after the war that she would get to see her brother and nieces again.

In war, time seems to almost freeze to a complete standstill and yet go faster than it could ever seem possible all at the same time. In no time it had been almost three years that she and Draco had been friends. So much had happened in such a short time. Her brother, Ron, had just turned eighteen, in February, and married his girlfriend of three years. Life during war was so bizarre and surreal. People were dieing all around and yet even in the darkest times love still seemed to bloom and flourish.

For Draco's eighteenth birthday on March fourteenth she had picked up her mother's long forgotten knitting needles and made Draco a sweater and a homemade card for his birthday. She finished both with time to spare. It was always coloring time in the children's room so she had plenty of time to make the perfect card and with enchanted needles she could practically make a dozen sweaters in a week. It was the first year that as friends that they had decided to exchange birthday gifts and Ginny was nervous. She knew he came from a lot of money and that he had probably never gotten a homemade gift in his life but she really had nothing else to offer. Other than…well; he wouldn't want that anyway.

The other problem that came up with celebrating Draco's birthday was that he hadn't come back to the Order in weeks. She had started to really worry. When he finally came back to the Order she had to restrain herself from tackling him to the ground…she was just so happy that he was alright.

Once the rest of the Order had settled down for the night the two of them had crept into the kitchen; the others knew about their friendship and while some of the Order members were alright with their friendship it made others nervous, namely her brother Ron. While in the kitchen she called up her courage and gave her shabby homemade gifts to Draco. She braced herself for his disappointment but as he read the card he smiled and as he opened package he treated the sweater that she had made him as the most priceless thing in the world.

"Weaslette, it's great. Thank you."

She had been so relieved to hear his praise and then thrilled to hear when he confessed,

"It may sound ridiculous but I always wondered what it would be like to get one of your mother's famous sweaters. My mother never did anything like this; she thought knitting was below a woman of her station. How did she find the time to make this for me?"

Smiling she informed, "She didn't."

At his flabbergasted look she continued, "I made it."

She would always remember his genuine smile and look of shock and happiness.

Months later many things had happened. A surge of new people had flocked to the Order for safety including Percy, who had grown tired of the corrupted Ministry and Penelope Clearwater who needed a safe place to hide out. Percy and Penelope hadn't seen each other since they had graduated but the spark between them still was undeniable.

That year, for the first time, on her birthday she was left completely alone. She had been forgotten and she didn't even know if she was going to see her best friend or not. The Order had been busy all day cementing their plans for the raid and then left without a goodbye. Only Luna had stayed behind, but that was only because she was still getting over her morning sickness. At five months pregnant she was miserably sick and yet positively glowing all at the same time. Luna was in one of the private rooms sleeping peacefully so Ginny was on children watching duty.

Playing with the children took her mind off of her depression. It seemed like everyday there was a new child brought to the Order as everyday there seemed to be a new face. As the time for "lights out" came for the children Ginny found herself in the middle of the room reading from the worn but loved children's story book as the children, and then eventually she, fell asleep.

She was having a pleasant dream when she was awakened by someone shaking her. She opened her eyes sleepily to see Draco crouched next to her chair with his finger to his lips to motion for her to be quiet. She had just smiled at him; she was so glad to see him. She took his hand as he helped her out of her chair as he led her out of the room and towards the kitchen.

She groaned inwardly as she remembered the last time he had dragged her into the kitchen. He had attempted to make some sort of something and was desperate to get help. Draco had many talents but cooking was definitely not one of them. She nearly giggled as she remembered the look of displeasure on his face as he ate the slightly extra browned grilled cheese that she had made after she had deemed what he had attempted to make as a biohazard.

"Why are we going to the kitchen, Malfoy? I'm not cooking for you again you are the most finicky…"

Her words died on her lips as she the single chocolate cupcake with the green candle in it. She felt like crying with happiness as she swatted Draco for making a smart assed comment and then laughed loudly at his terrible attempt at singing…singing was another talent he couldn't seem to grasp. She blew out the candle as she made her wish…

As they sat and split the cupcake she confessed that he was the only one to have wished her a happy birthday and as she thanked him she did what she had never done before, called him by his first name. It felt good to finally call him Draco instead of just Malfoy. The look on his face at the sound of his name coming from her lips made her wish that she had started calling him Draco months ago.

After she finished her last bite she looked at the clock and sighed. It was just then 10:53p.m., the exact minute that she arrived into this world. When she brought her eyes back to the table she was shocked to see a long green velvet box sitting in front of her. She gaped at the box and then at Draco before he made another one of his annoyingly witty comments.

She opened the box and a little gasp came out on its own accord. It was beautiful. It was delicate but perfect. It was a silver necklace with a lovely emerald in the middle of it. She felt a little overwhelmed by such a fantastic gift but as she heard Draco tease her she knew that he had just meant it in friendship so being her normal self she made a witty comment that rivaled his own.

While looking at the handsome blond boy that had become her lifeline she noticed for the first time that he got a certain sparkle in his eyes when he laughed and it was then when she was looking at her best friend and confidant she realized that she was falling more and more in love with him. It was a feeling that shocked her and delighted her all at once.

Things were blissfully peaceful for a whole month until tragedy struck again and this time much closer to home. Luna had gone to visit her father for the first time in months. She remembered how the eerily quiet day had been as if the universe knew that disaster was on the way. The quiet of the Order was broken with screams and crying. She remembered how Ron had come in carrying Luna while screaming for help.

Ginny knew something was dreadfully wrong when he saw the blood all over Ron. The many Healers who were called in shooed everyone out of the room, including a protesting Ron, as they did their best to save Luna and the baby's lives. Outside in the hall the present Weasley clan plus Hermione and Harry paced the halls waiting anxiously for news. While out there, Ron, in a rant of near hysteria, told the people waiting of what he had walked in on. He slammed his fist into the wall screaming in pain and frustration as he cried out, "If I would have been there when I was supposed to be this never would have happened! This is all my fault!" His eyes became teary again as he finished in a near whisper, "I should have been there to protect her."

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley took Ron to the side and tried their best to comfort him as Mrs. Weasley repaired his now broken hand. They waited for hours for any news and nearly six hours later the head Healer came out to fill the family in on what had happened.

The Healer looked to the family sadly and said, "We did everything we could…"

Before the Healer could say anymore everyone had already dissolved again into tears. In war those words always meant death. Ron pushed past the Healer and went into the room and went straight to his even paler than normal wife and cried tears of relief to see that she was still alive. He held her close and they both cried in agony as the Healer informed them that their baby had died under the stress of torture. In the corner of the room another Healer held a tightly wrapped bundle and after declining to see the remains of the baby the Healer took the remains to be prepared to be buried.

The funeral was quiet and solemn. They all went in groups to the ruins of the Burrow which was now the cemetery for the fallen of the war. Ginny went with her parents and the twins, who had left their shop to be with their family. There wasn't a single person who wasn't crying as the tiny coffin was lowered into the ground. Ginny looked over to Ron and Luna and had never seen two more broken people. Luna, who was still very weak, clutched on to her husband for support and comfort as they both watched their baby lowered into the ground. The day before they had buried Mr. Lovegood in the plot to the left of the baby's grave. It was a little comfort to know that even in death that the baby wouldn't be alone…his grandfather would always be there to look after him.

Back at the Order the silence continued on until Luna had gone to rest. She had lost a lot of blood and was still recovering. The Healers had also told her that after losing the baby that it was uncertain if she was going to be able to conceive again. After Luna was out of earshot Ron promised that if he ever saw Rodolphus Lestrange that he would make him pay. "He took my little boy away before I ever had a chance to know him. If I see him again I'm going to rip him apart with my bare hands. He'll wish he was never born."

It wasn't until that night that Draco came back from another long stay on the other side. As soon as Ron saw Draco he shoved him and pinned him up against the wall by choking him with one hand and pummeling him with his free hand. It took Mr. Weasley and Harry both to pull Ron off of Draco. As soon as Ron was pulled off of him Draco slumped to the ground grasping his throat as he tried to catch his breath. The whole time Ron was being dragged away from Draco he was trying to get back at him to finish what he had started.

As he calmed down he looked back at Draco and said, "What I did to you is nothing compared to what I'm going to do to that bastard that you have the misfortune of calling 'uncle'. Tell him his days are numbered."

Ron then huffed off to the room her shared with his wife not even looking back as Percy and Neville helped Draco to his feet and as Mrs. Weasley healed his broken nose and blackened eye. After he was healed and informed, Draco's rage against the youngest Weasley boy died. Later that night he had confessed to Ginny that he held no grudge against her brother. He had been Ron's enemy all through school and he was related to the man who had caused the death of Ron's child.

He had looked at her solemnly and said, "I probably would have done the same thing in his place."

The pain of losing that baby was still raw when tragedy struck again. The "Golden Trio" were out on a mission looking for supplies when they were ambushed by a group of Death Eaters. They were outnumbered easily. Ron and Harry were on either side of Hermione as they did their best to defend themselves from the numerous hexes that were continually being thrown at them.

They finally started to overcome the Death Eaters until one Death Eater blasted Hermione off of her feet. Harry ran to her side and as Amycus Carrow cast the Imperious Curse was when Charlie Apparated right in front of Harry and took the curse instead. Under the curse Charlie was forced to turn and direct his wand at his youngest brother and say the most dreaded of all curses.

Before the green light had a chance to hit an unsuspecting Ron, Percy Apparated and effectively blocked Ron. A look of pure shock was plastered on his face as he slumped, instantly dead, into the arms of his youngest brother. Being the cowards that they were the Death Eaters left as more of the Order had started to arrive.

The Order was always in a state of some kind of chaos but when Ron and Charlie brought home the body of their brother the normal chaos in the Order turned to hysterical chaos. Ginny vaguely remembered what had happened during the next few days. She was in and out of crying fits that seemed to seize her from her very core. The twins had finally moved back to be with the family on the day of the funeral.

The funeral was a horrible déjà vu. Percy's coffin had been lowered into the plot next to his nephew and throughout the whole funeral everyone's eyes had made the same sad journey across the steadily growing cemetery.

It wasn't until just today at Penelope's discovery of her pregnancy that the Weasley's had started to once again focus on the silver lining that even in the worst of times still managed to shine through. It was also today that it Mrs. Weasley decided that Ginny was to go along with Luna and the children; Molly refused to lose her only daughter if she could prevent it.

As the noise continued to grow downstairs Ginny once again parted from the comforting embrace of her best friend and dreaded even the idea of being away from him. She was battling with how she was going to tell Draco that she was going to have to go away for her mother's sake but what she didn't realize was that Draco was battling with how he was going to share his information as well.

---

Sorry about how long this chapter was and that it overlapped but I needed to get through Ginny's experience because, as I said earlier, I thought the story was a little one sided. The next chapter the two friends finally come clean to each other and the real action should start to take place.