Unofficial Portkey Archive

Awakening the Dragon Redux by Kai_Lun_Mau
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Awakening the Dragon Redux

Kai_Lun_Mau

Authors Note: Yeah its me, what can I say, my life was a mess, I quit writing, I never finished book 7 and apart from a few writers who I read because their work excites me I have pretty much given up on Harry Potter fiction, until a friend asked me if I was still writing, and I told them no, later that night I realized that I missed this, I missed putting my thoughts to paper, and while the characters and setting belong to JKR who if most of us are honest doesn't really deserve to have them any more the premise and story are mine, and I am good at this. So I dusted off my Word program grabbed my old files and decided I would start simply, I'd start with Awakening, this story I think deserves to be finished, its my favorite and I hope its some of yours as well. I can't promise daily updates but I will try at least one rewritten chapter a week.

So without further delay

Awakening the dragon

There is a saying, they say it is unwise to wake a sleeping dragon.

It's anger can shake the very pillars of heaven.

Sirius was gone.

It was my fault.

I killed my godfather...

Those were the thoughts day in and day out that occupied every waking moment of Harry's life.

Sirius was gone.

It was my fault.

I killed my godfather...

Over and over the same three lines running through his head, as solid an impression as I will not tell lies carved into the back of his hand. He sat there in his room, sweaty and disheveled, not moving, knees up under his chin, arms wrapped tightly around his legs.

Petunia stood in the doorway watching the boy, he was no longer the freak, whatever else it could not be denied he had saved her son from those freakish Dementors, true they would never have been there if not for him, but even she could see that if nothing were done there would be a death to explain.

Moving silent down the stairs she fished out an envelope from the kitchen drawer and a piece of writing paper and briefly jotted down what was happening and folded the note sealing it into the envelope, hopefully that ridiculous headmaster would come and help the boy.

Walking out into the yard she looked up into the tree at the end of the garden at the Snowy Owl that rested in its branches. "I need you to take this letter do you understand."

Hedwig opened one eye and stared balefully at the noise maker. Petunia tutted with disdain glancing back and forth making sure none of her neighbors saw he doing anything freakish. "Look, the boy is ill he needs help, he'll only get help from one of those freaks at the train station, so take this to them!"

Hedwig would have scowled if she could but instead spread her majestic wings and swooped from the branches scooping the letter from Petunia's hand taking great pleasure in scratching her claws across the shrieking womans hand and soaring of into the darkness.

* * * * * *

Dumbledore stared thoughtfully at the letter on his desk, it was to be expected he supposed, the pair had been more like father and son than friend and mentor, but how to handle it, there was far to much to be done preparing for the coming year for he himself to check on the boy, instead he gestured to his familiar. "Fawkes if you would be so kind could you fetch Minerva for me."

Fawkes trilled his agreement to his wizard and with a burst of flame vanished from his perch only to return several moments later with Minerva in tow.

"Honestly Albus, what was so important you sent that foolish peacock to fetch me, I was rather busy you know" She took the sting out of her words with a slight curve of her mouth as the Phoenix all but huffed at her.

Albus handed her the letter he'd received. "Read this if you will."

Silently she reached out taking the letter in her hands and quickly scanned its contents, her ire growing till she exploded at the man behind the desk. "I warned you all those years ago, time and again I warned you, well now it's come and bitten you right on your brightly colored arse Albus so what do you intend to do!"

Albus steepled his fingers beneath his long crooked nose and sighed at her. "I never claimed omnipotence Minerva, but now I as you go check on the boy at least, I would have simply sent word to the order member watching the house but I do not wish them to reveal their presence."

Scowling Minerva Mcgonnagle handed him back the letter. "For your sake Albus I hope that foul woman is wrong."

* * * * * *

With a pop Minerva Apparated into an alley a from houses down from the Durseley's and calmly made her way down the street before knocking politely at the door. It swung open and she stared down at the piggish face of Harry's cousin and scowled comparing the relative size difference between Harry and Dudley. "I'm here to speak to Mr Potter."

Dudley's face blanched and for someone who was effectively the same width as the hallway scampered out of sight bellowing for him parents. Minerva scowled as Petunia walked out of the kitchen and into view. "Its about time one of you freaks came to check on him. I wont be held responsible for his death you understand, I don't know what you did to him this year but he hasn't eaten or spoken to anyone since he came back!"

Frowning, the guards not having mentioned this turn of event pushed passed the horse faced woman and started to climb the stairs heading towards what was Harry's room, she stared horrified at what she saw, the numerous locks, the cat flap and the boy, rocking back and forth in the darkness that was the child of two of her favorite pupils. "Harry?" She spoke tentatively and frowned when failed to respond. "Mr Potter this is not how Gryffindors behave!"

Harry's face swung towards her and she bit back a gasp at the almost lifeless green eyes staring back at her. "Harry....Sirius...I know Sirius's death was awful...but he would not want this of you."

So preoccupied was she in her young lion she failed to notice the Presence of Vernon Dursely as he exited the toilet, news paper in hand. "What!" He bellowed. "The freaks godfather is dead as well!" He smacked the paper in his hand, self preservation forgotten in a moment of gloating stupidity.

It didn't last. The words spoken without thought triggered a cataclysmic response from the almost catatonic boy, his eyes burned, red from edge to edge as he turned to face his uncle. "What did you say?"

"Unperturbed in his moment of monumental stupidity the man continued. "Good riddance I say, one less of you freaks to worry about."

"You bastard!" Harry's roar bellowed, the house shaking from the force of the magically enhance cry, cracks forming in the walls and the ceiling as his magic spun wildly, dangerous out of his controlled. His bed exploded into splinters as he stood, a wreathe of eldritch energy surrounding him, infusing his presence with a tangible aura of menace. "My godfather was worth one hundred of you!"

Minerva started to panic, as the room distorted under the physical weight of Harry's out of control emotions. "Harry please you must calm down!" Instead he ignored her advancing on the suddenly pale and terrified Uncle. Seeing no other option she drew her wand to stun the boy and gasped in surprise as the stunner was swallowed by the scintillating emerald aura that flowed around him like a living entity.

"Harry stop!" Minerva pleaded with her student as she ran to him to shake some sense into the boy and bit back an oath as she was hurled across the room bouncing painfully off the wall and cursing as the door slammed shut and she heard all the bolt click shut locking her in the room, her wand in the hallway dropped in her rush. "Oh bugger!"

* * * * * *

Vernon like all bully's reacted the only way he knew how, with Anger lashing out to punch the frail smaller boy and yelped in pair as his fist passed through where Harry had stood impacting with the wall and cracking both bone and plaster, he howled cradling his broken hand even as Harry lashed out with his magic, landing a physical blow on the man bowling him arse over tea kettle down the hallway and down the stairs. Vernon lay there gasping, trying to draw air into his lungs sure his ribs where broken as he stared up the stairs to the slowly descending boy, his red eyes glowing in the hallways dim lighting.

"ELEVEN YEARS YOU BASTARD!" Harry was venting, his anger and rage fueling his out of control magic so much the hallways walls started to smoke, wood charring as the boy grabbed his 400 pound uncle by the collar and easily dragged him down the passageway.. "Lets see how you like it!"

The cupboard sprang open and all Dudley's junk spilled out across the floor forced out by Harry's mental rampage and he grabbed his uncle's collar and hauled him up, by the point Vernon was gibbering in terror. And Harry snorted with disgust as he shoved the fat man inside the small space and slammed the door shut behind him. As the lock snapped closed he gasped, the torrent of anger fading to sorrow and a sob tore itself from his lips, followed by a sense of horror as the full extent of what had happened crashed into him like a physical blow. He ran, grabbing his coat and Vernon's wallet from the mantle he fled from Privet drive.

* * * * * * *

In the department of under age magic use alarms exploding, specially developed charms and artifacts to detect the use of magic in minors exploded like hazardous thistle down, crystals, enchanted stones, mystical waters all rendered useless by one almighty surge of magic. The only surviving item, a simple enchanted quill survived and it scribbled a note.

Harry James Potter

#4 Privet Drive

Surrey

* * * * * * *

In Dumbledore's office the headmaster looked up as with a screech Fawkes fled the room as several of the few remaining silver artifacts, items he used to keep track of Harry exploded filling the room with a noxious purple smoke. In a panic at the event he quickly grabbed a handful of floo powder and raced into the flames. "!2 Grimmauld place!"

The head master spun into existence in the kitchen startling the several order members who were there drinking tea. "Quickly! All of you something terrible has occurred at number four privet drive!" That said he quickly Apparated from he kitchen so hard and unwilling to waste time he tore through the anti apparition wards like tissue leaving several stunned members behind."

Quickly Albus Apparated into the Durseley's living room to stare in horror, thick black smoke was slowly filling the hallway from the several small fires that had been started and he could hear cries for help from the kitchen and from upstairs, quickly he vanished the kitchen door and raced upstairs to Harry's room hoping that Minerva had managed to defend the boy only to find her locked in the room alone. One look at her horrified expression was enough to warn him.

Back down stairs the order members popped into existence in the lounge, Lupin's lycanthrope senses detecting the faint noises coming from the cupboard and quickly he vanished the door and a urine soaked Vernon tumbled out mutter in terrors.

"R-re-red-red eyes!"

The wizards and witch looked at each other in fear, the red eyes could only mean that Voldemort had somehow found Harry, yet why where the muggles still alive. Albus made his way down the stairs slowly today feeling the full weight of his years listening to the others try to understand what had occurred. "It was not Voldemort who did this...It was Harry."

The varying reactions were all dramatic, Tonks was panicking, Lupin was livid, Moody was thoughtful and Kingsley was worried.

The boy who lived was gone.