Unofficial Portkey Archive

Awakening the Dragon Redux by Kai_Lun_Mau
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Awakening the Dragon Redux

Kai_Lun_Mau

Disclaimer: I don't own them, I just wanna play in JKR's sandbox for a while. I am making no money from this nor shall I ever.

Awakening the Dragon.

Chapter 1

The young girl, no, no longer a girl, the young woman sat at the bay window staring out at the stars but not really seeing them, her gaze was really focused inwards like it had been most evenings remembering the events that had happened the night in the Department of Mysteries.

She had failed the greatest exam she had ever sat that right, real life. All the little fantasies had popped like balloons in the face of reality, and reality was a harsh task mistress.

This wasn't a fairy tale anymore, no more princess being rescued by prince charming, it was war and people could die, would die, had died.

Unconsciously she rubbed her hand along the faint scar let from that night. She knew she should be angry with him for not listening to her, for getting them all hurt but she wasn't, all she could do when she thought of him was see that stricken look on his face when anyone mentioned Sirius.

She knew she would have to make a choice soon, to stand and fight, or bury her head in the sand like the vast majority of the wizarding populace.

"I'm sorry."

She almost hit the ceiling in fright as the voice intruded on her thoughts spinning round she reached for a wand that wasn't there. "HARRY!"

She stumbled backwards triping over her own feet as she stared wide eyed at the source of her internal monologue. "Why are you here, how are you here, do the order know where you are, wh-what are you staring at?"

Harry just stood there his features controlled, no emmotion showing, his head bowed slightly so his dark fringe of hair, fell covering his features from her. "You, and to answer your questions, to say goodbye, magic, and no they don't."

He almost laughed when that angry look appeared on her face and her hands on her hips but he didn't, he wouldn't laugh at her for simply caring about him. "Before you start Hermione we need to talk ok?" She scowled but remained silent and Harry took that as a good sign. "I can't take anymore Hermione, I'm done here, first Cedric, now Sirius, where does it end, you almost died because of me."

He sighed at sat down at the foot of her bed and ran his fingers through his messy back hair. "I can't keep letting people die for me, I won't. As for the Order, let's just say that Dumbledore has made his reasons very clear to me. I'm a target for one power hungry wizard and a pawn to another." He flashed her that crooked smile of his. "Every year since i rejoined the magical world I've been forced to jump through hoop's like a performing lion for them, so it's time both learned I'm neither tame or thier main attractionin thier grand design."

He sighed tiredly and looked up at her, emerald green meeting honey brown. "So I came to say good bye, I sent Ron Hedwig with a note to watch over her for me, but I had to see you in person, I had to say goodbye."

She stared at him with a mingled expression of horror and shock. "B-but your underage, you need to go to Hogwarts, you need to be there to learn, you can't beat Voldemort without learning!" Panic clutched at her chest and her hand rubbed furiously against her own curse scar as she felt as though she's been struck again by purple flame, he was leaving her behind.

"I'm probably already expelled Hermione, things kinda came to a head with Vernon tonight and I lost my temper and lost control. I stuffed him in my cupboard and kinda destroyed my aunts kitchen."

She gaped at him in a mixtured of incredulity and horror. "You stuffed him in the cupboard?"

He nodded with a soft laugh. "Yeah, he almost didn't fit." He sighed and stood. "Look I need to go Hermione, they'll know I've left by now and they will come here to see if you've seen me." He crossed the floor and gently brushed a lock of hair from her face and lightly pressed his lips to her forehead.

She stared at him a minute before she ran to her wardrobe and grabbed several items of clothes before stuffing them into a backpack. Harry looked at her oddly. "So where will we go?"

He blinked. "We?" He shook his head. "No you don't get it there is no we this time, I'm going alone." He took a step back as she shot him her patented Malfoy glare.

"Not bloody likely, you wouldn't last a week without me, where would you have been without me in first year and the potions riddle?" She stalked towards him jabbing her finger into his chest. "How about in second year when I figured out it was a basilisk that was attacking the students. How about all the other years Harry, could you have done any of it without me helping you Harry, think carefully Harry your manhood may depend upon your answer."

For a brief moment Hermione could have sworn Harry's eyes flashed crimson before he took a visible deep breath and raised his gaze to meet hers. "I probably couldn't have, but when it comes time to take that final step I always take it alone, this time is no different."

Hermione dropped her bag on the floor and turned to glare at him. "You are not doing this alone Harry, we are best friends and best friends stick together." She shook her head sighing at his stubborn expression. "You're not going to do this alone."

Harry sighed. "I know the prophecy Hermione, I know why Voldemort wanted it so badly, and I finally understand, you can't help me Hermione, it's him or me, that is what the prophecy is about, neither can live while the other survives." He smiled in a bitter way. "I have to kill him Hermione, and Hogwarts can't teach me those things, won't teach me those things. Dumbledore knew Hermione, he's always known. And you saw where that led, I refuse to let that happen again."

"Fine!" Hermione grabbed her bag and tossed it over her shoulder. "Just because you are the only one who-who can defeat him, but you still need me Harry so give it up cause I'm coming with you." She flashed him that smile of hers when she had won an argument or learned something before anyone else. "So where are we going?"

He sat down on the edge of her bed and blew out a deep sigh, annoyance, frustration, gratitude, who knew what else all mingled together in one expelled breath of air before he looked at her. "As far from here as possible."

TBC…

-->