Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hasty Decisions, Getting Drunk, and Starting Over by deeartist101
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hasty Decisions, Getting Drunk, and Starting Over

deeartist101

We sat together in the very back pew of the church next to two children whose parents had sent them back there when they refused to sit still and an old lady who had long since fallen asleep. The small sounds of the children's scuffling playfulness still wasn't enough to completely block out the words of the ceremony, nor was the substantial snoring of the lady. Harry stayed completely silent.

I tried not to look at him too often or touch him more than necessary. I knew that right now he would take the attempts at comforting him as a sign of his own weakness and I didn't want to make him more upset. So we just sat together without a word spoken or a touch exchanged.

The lines in his black suit were sharp and unyielding from the ironing I had given them before and now I wished I hadn't thought to. It seemed unnatural for them to be so perfect for so long; like their owner had forgotten how to move right. His hands were clenched into fists that never relaxed at the sides of his legs and his shoulders were stiff. His emerald eyes, which used to hold so much emotion, held a metallic sheen that hid his expressions. The only part of him that seemed recognizable was his raven-hair that refused to be tamed and still like the rest of him. It stayed wild and daring like the rest of Harry usually was.

I was scared that if I watched him long enough, I'd start to see the same look every morning in the mirror. Scared that I cared too much for him. Scared about what I would do to take that pain hiding just below the surface away from him. I looked away.

The aisle was marked by a pale pink carpet that ran all the way up to the alter. The white chairs on either side of it held pink roses with ribbons around them. It was rather ironic that they used pink when it was sure to clash with all the red-heads in the audience. But then it was a hasty decision; just as the entire wedding was a hasty marriage.

I let my eyes stray up to the bride and groom. There she was; perfect as always. Her red hair hung down to the bottom of her waist and the white dress accentuated all the right curves while still hiding the little mound that had replaced her usually flat stomach. I found myself hating her because she could look so good when Harry looked so distraught and her entire family clashed with the decorations. Maybe she had planned it that way so she would look even more stunning.

The groom looked completely bored. He had perfect cheek bones and wonderful brunette hair that fell just right over his silver eyes. He was a male model and a muggle. The only person Ginny could cheat on Harry with without getting caught by the wizarding press. Not that it mattered very much when she got pregnant with the guy's child; she couldn't really hide it from Harry anymore after that.

Many people wanted to pity her. After all, she had told Harry in a public place so that the full extent of her crying-regretful-act and her I'm-still-in-love-with-you speech could be heard by all. On top of that, the model was obviously a womanizer and would cheat on her at the soonest possible moment. I thought she deserved every bad thing that came her way and a hundred times worse than that.

"If there are any objections, speak now or forever hold your peace," Rang out through the audience like a poisonous tendril of gas that someone wanted to disguise as the sweetest candy. I started to turn and caught worried blue eyes; Ron's eyes. I gave him the weakest smile in the history of smiles as an attempt of reassurance. I knew he'd be sitting with us if he could.

My head made the full turn so that I could see Harry's reaction. Other than a tightening of his jaw there was nothing. That worried me more than anything; I started to believe it would have been better if he had stood up and yelled out his frustrations for a half an hour right there in the church. I slowly reached a hand out and placed it gently on top of his as I put my head on his shoulder. I needed him to know I was there.

Miraculously, a cold shaking hand closed over mine as the priest announced Ginny and her model man and wife. I looked up in time to catch Harry's eyes and almost as if he had been listening to my thoughts he let his guard down for a second. The pure pain and confusion in his eyes made me catch my breath and I felt a lump rise in my throat as his eyes slowly faded back into their metallic indifference again. I reached up, cradled his face in one of my hands, and gave him a slow kiss on the cheek.

The two children interrupted my attempts at distraction and comfort when they went careening past us and into the aisle shouting like they hadn't been able to so much as whisper in weeks. Harry stroked my hair once then stood up and offered me his hand. I took it and stood up, trying to get him to meet my eyes again, but the moment had passed. I heaved a sigh, took his arm, and let him lead me to the reception in the main hall of the church.

Ron swept up next to us after a few moments and wordlessly handed us each a glass of champagne. Harry took a few sips and looked at the dance floor without completely seeing it. Ron patted Harry on the back as we stood in a tight-knit little circle. Ron and my eyes met and we made a silent pact to help Harry through this, no matter what.

AN: Hello everyone! This will be an H/Hr fic, but it will give proper credit to the pain and emotions Harry is feeling right now because of Ginny. Just hang in there and I promise you wont be disappointed. I am looking for a Beta reader if anyone would like to volunteer? Thanks for reading!

-->