Unofficial Portkey Archive

Boats and Birds by papermask
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Boats and Birds

papermask

This is just a quick songfic that I felt like writing. It takes place many years after the epilogue.

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter. JKR does.
Disclaimer 2: I did not write the song involved. It is called 'Boats and Birds' and is by Gregory and the Hawk - check it out, it's really beautiful.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you'll be my star
I'll be your sky
You can hide underneath me and come out at night
When I turn jet black and you show off your light
I live to let you shine
I live to let you shine

The twilight air was still and steady. The streets were quiet. A tall manor stood silent and calm. The only hint that anybody lived there was a slight light that was coming from inside. A few lit candles sat on various tables and counters. The only sign of movement was a tall, thin couple dancing. There was no music in particular to be heard, only the sounds of crickets and the night air. Yet, the couple swayed on, moving rhythmically to the sound of silence.

The man had black hair that was speckled grey. His glasses had gotten slightly thicker from when he was a young boy, but they failed to hid his ever appealing green eyes. But, perhaps the most famous trademark belonging to this man was his slightly faded, lightning-bolt shaped scar.He looked down lovingly at the woman. She had curly, sometimes bushy, brown hair that was also speckled with grey. It only fell to her shoulders. She had since cut it from the days of her youth, when her tresses reached the length of her back. She had kind, brown eyes that had never lost their luster, although they had gained a few wrinkles here and there around the sides. Her smile was warm and genuine, and she had the kind of face that told hundreds of stories with gentle elegance.

But you can skyrocket away from me
And never come back if you find another galaxy
Far from here with more room to fly
Just leave me your stardust to remember you by

Harry Potter and Hermione Granger-Potter glided across their home with ease, remembering what had brought them together. Yes, they had always been friends, maybe they had always been more. But what had really brought them together was time. It had taken time for them to realize to whom their hearts belonged. It was true that they had once been married to others, they had even had children with those others. Their children had long since grown up. It was no secret that the children were oddly accepting of Harry and Hermione's relationship, while it had taken the exes significantly longer to appreciate their new found love. Strangely enough, Ronald Weasley finally came around with the help of newly divorced Luna Lovegood. They were married as well shortly after. However, it had taken Ginny much longer to accept anything. Although nothing romantic came of it, as he was already married to Hannah Longbottom, Ginny's dear friend Neville helped her to learn to accept Harry and Hermione as they were, not as she wanted them to be.

If you be my boat
I'll be your sea
A depth of pure blue just to probe curiosity
Ebbing and flowing and pushed by a breeze
I live to make you free
I live to make you free

Harry and Hermione moved softly to the imaginary music. She looked into his eyes and smiled. He returned the favor. She cocked her head to the side, and he laughed lightly, then nodded, as if answering some unspoked question. Hermione's smile widened as she grabbed her wand from the side table. Harry did the same. They looked at each other one last time, and then looked towards the ceiling. No, towards the sky. They waved their wands at the same moment, eahc whispering unknown words. Then, there was silence.

But you can set sail to the west if you want to
And past the horizon till I can't even see you
Far from here where the beaches are wide
Just leave me your wake to remember you by

Suddenly, golden waves flew out of their wands like little birds escaping to freedom. They encircled Harry and Hermione, making their hair flying all around them. Harry's glasses began to thin, and the grey melted away from his hair. Hermione closed her eyes and felt the golden waves flow through her. The laugh lines dissappeared from their faces and their hair was restored to it's natural color and length. Hermione opened her eyes. Harry followed suit. They looked down. Their age had flown away, leaving only a memory of their former selves. Harry and Hermione looked at each other with bright smiles and waved their wands once more.

If you be my star
I'll be your sky
You can hide underneath me and come out at night
When I turn jet black and you show off your light
I live to let you shine
I live to let you shine

Music filled the manor. It had a soft tune and a lovely melody. Harry and Hermione embraced once more and began to dance. They danced softly yet firmly. They starred into each other's eyes the entire time. As they twirled about, the golden waves moved with them. They went faster. They danced together until the spell began to wear off. The music got softer and softer, and eventually, the golden waves faded and retreated into Harry and Hermione's wands. The temporary youth slowly reverted back into age. Lines reappeared on faces, grey began to speckle hair, and even Harry's glasses began to thicken slightly. Harry and Hermione broke apart. They looked at each other with half smiles. It was always a bit of a downer to go back to your real age. But, in no time, they were dancing again.

"I love you, Hermione."

"I love you too, Harry. I love you too."

But you can skyrocket away from me
And never come back if you find another galaxy
Far from here with more room to fly
Just leave me your stardust to remember you by
Stardust to remember you by