Unofficial Portkey Archive

Here Comes Santa Claus by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Here Comes Santa Claus

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: This is our annual Christmas fic! It's in the Last Dance Universe and takes place when Saffron is four years old; RJ is six years old; Maddie is nine years old and Ethan is 12. We hope you enjoy it! It's a two-parter and we'll post the second chapter next Wednesday. Happy Christmas!

Christmas had always been Hermione Potter's favourite time of the year. What she loved most about it was having her family around her and this year was going to be extra special. Because the Burrow was overflowing with guests, the Potters were playing host to Ron's immediate family. Saffron had been over the moon all day about the house being full of her friends, especially her big brother.

Harry had left that morning to pick up her brother from Kings Cross. Saffron had wanted to go, but she'd decided to stay behind to help Greta bake biscuits for their guests.

"And this one is for Ethan," Saffron scooped an especially large mound of biscuit dough onto the sheet.

"You know he's going to be hungry when he comes home," Greta smiled at her young charge.

"I know," Saffron said eagerly. "That's why he gets the biggest one."

"I want the biggest one," RJ Weasley said sauntering into the kitchen. "I'm a guest."

Saffron shook her head. "The biggest is for Ethan."

RJ rolled his eyes.

Greta smiled at the little boy. "Are you getting settled in, RJ?"

RJ nodded.

"Jingle Bells, RJ smells," Saffron sang along gleefully.

"Shut it, Saffron," RJ frowned at her.

Hermione came into the kitchen. She'd snuck in some last minute shopping while Greta watched the children.

"Hi, sweetheart," Hermione said smiling at her daughter who was wearing one of Greta's aprons.

"Hi Mummy," Saffron said happily. "Look at my biscuits!"

"She won't let me have any," RJ grumbled.

"RJ, you can have a few," Hermione reassured him.

"Just not the big one!" Saffron said. "That's for Ethan!"

"Mum!" Ethan called out from the sitting room.

"He's here!" Saffron exclaimed. "Ethan! Ethan, I'm coming!"

Ethan had just hung up his cloak when Saffron barrelled into him.

"Hey, Brat," Ethan laughed. "You smell like cinnamon."

"I made you biscuits!" Saffron said, tugging at his hand.

Ethan gave her a hug. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," Saffron said. "A whole lot!"

"Later, you and I can race in the ballroom," Ethan told his sister.

Harry chuckled. "She's a lot faster, Ethan. You might not win..."

"I even beat Daddy," Saffron told him.

"She cleaned my clock," Harry said picking up his daughter and kissing her on the cheek. "My little baker."

"I made a really big biscuit for Ethan, but I made one for you too," Saffron told him.

Harry hugged her tightly. "That's my girl."

"I'm going to put my stuff upstairs," Ethan said grabbing his bag.

"I'll help you," Saffron said.

"Thanks, Brat," Ethan said handing her a couple of his books.

"Will you read this to me?" Saffron held up his copy of Quidditch through the Ages.

"Sure," Ethan replied with a grin. "So, Dad said the Weasleys were here. It seems awfully quiet..."

"That's cause RJ's begging in the kitchen," Saffron followed him. "Uncle Ron's out with Aunt Luna and Maddie--"

"Let me guess, she's twirling in the garden or trying to rid the mistletoe of Nargles?" Ethan asked

Saffron giggled. "She's reading."

"Oh," Ethan said opening the door to his room. "I didn't even see Drew and Darla on the train. I guess Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna were going to pick them up."

"I think they were taking them shopping," Saffron reported.

Downstairs, Hermione was telling her husband about the things she'd bought.

"Did you get the racing broom for Ethan?" Harry asked her.

Hermione nodded. "Yes, but I can't tell one from the other, Harry. They all looked the same to me."

"I'll check and make sure you got the right one," Harry replied.

"And I managed to get everything on Saffron's list," Hermione told him. "Well, everything, but the puppy."

Harry shook his head. "She's insistent."

Greta smiled. "She even asked if I had a biscuit cutter in the shape of a puppy."

Harry chuckled. "Those biscuits do smell good..."

Unbeknownst to the adults in the room, RJ had heard everything they'd said. He crept out of the kitchen and hurried upstairs to find Saffron to tell her. He'd known there was no such thing as Santa Claus of course, but now he had first hand proof. Santa wasn't going to bring Saffy's presents tomorrow morning. Her parents would.

He heard Saffron and Ethan talking in Ethan's bedroom.

"What are you doing, RJ?" Maddie asked her brother as she came out of her room. She hugged her book to her chest.

RJ grinned. "Just have to have a word with Saffy."

Maddie followed him into Ethan's room. She didn't quite like the look on her younger brother's face. She'd seen it enough these last few years. He was up to something.

"Guess what, Saffron." RJ said gleefully.

"What?" Saffron asked smiling at him.

"There's no San--" RJ began but Maddie reached over and pulled hard on his ear.

"Ronald Bilius Weasley, Junior," Maddie warned him.

"What?" RJ rubbed his ear. "That hurt!"

"I know what you were going to say and I'm warning you not to say it," Maddie hissed.

"No you don't," RJ whined.

Saffron put her hands on her hips. "You better not have eaten Ethan's biscuit, RJ!"

"I didn't," RJ said hastily, ducking away from his sister.

"Hiya, Maddie," Ethan said politely to the younger girl.

The blonde blushed a little. "Hi Ethan. Welcome home."

"Thanks," Ethan said. "Good to be home."

"Come on Ethan," Saffron tugged at his hand. "Come eat your biscuit."

"Okay, okay," Ethan said chuckling. He looked at Maddie and RJ. "You lot coming with us?"

"We'll be right down," Maddie said.

"Okay," Saffron said grabbing Ethan by the arm and leading him out of the room.

"What?" RJ asked looking at his sister innocently.

"Don't you dare tell Saffron there's no Santa," Maddie said, uncharacteristically serious.

RJ raised an eyebrow. "How---how did you know that's what I was going to do?"

"I could tell," Maddie replied. "And you'd better not."

"Fine," RJ relented. "I won't."

"Promise," Maddie said.

"I promise," RJ retorted. "Can I go now? I'm starving."

"Fine," Maddie said.

RJ stalked out of Ethan's room. He might not tell Saffron now, but he'd tell her when his older sister wasn't around.

He headed back downstairs to the kitchen, hoping the biscuits would be ready. He also wanted to see if Ethan had brought his broom home so he could go flying with the older boy.

To his surprise, Drew and Darla were there with Ron and Luna. He hadn't seen his twin sisters since they'd left for Hogwarts in September.

"What did you do to your hair, Drew?" RJ asked. His sister's shoulder-length locks had been cut into a pixie style. "You look like a boy."

"I think it's cute," Drew said defensively.

"I think you look beautiful," Luna said putting an arm around her daughter.

Darla's hair was still long and while she thought her sister's new haircut was cute, she didn't like that they looked different now.

"You could give us a hug, Junior," Drew teased. "You haven't seen us in weeks."

"I guess," RJ replied.

Drew put her arm around him. "You know what they say about bad little boys? You'll get a lump of coal from Santa."

RJ rolled his eyes. "No such thing."

Saffron smiled sweetly. "I'm going to get loads of presents because I've been good this year! Right, Daddy?"

"Absolutely," Harry said, picking her up.

"And I'm leaving Santa lots and lots of biscuits!" Saffron exclaimed. "With a glass of pumpkin juice!"

"And I'm sure he'll enjoy them," Harry kissed her cheek. "Especially when he finds out YOU made them."

Saffron beamed at him. "Really?"

"Definitely," Harry replied.

Luna looked at her youngest son. "What's wrong, love?"

"Nothing," RJ grumbled.

"The biscuits will be ready soon," Luna said.

"I want to go flying," RJ said.

"Me too," Ethan agreed.

"Cool!" RJ exclaimed. "Let's go!"

"Bundle up!" Hermione called out. "It's freezing out, Ethan and it's snowing!"

"I want to go!" Saffron cried. "Ethan, take me!"

"Not this time," Ethan told her. "Maybe later."

"Why?" Saffron asked.

"I want to go really fast and I can't with you on there with me," Ethan said.

"Yeah," RJ nodded excitedly. "I want to go as fast as I can."

"But---" Saffron started to protest, but the two boys ignored her as they ran out of the kitchen.

Saffron's eyes filled with tears. "I'M NOT MAKING YOU ANY MORE BISCUITS!" she yelled at them.

Hermione knelt down and put her arms around her daughter. "It's okay, love."

Saffron sniffled.

Harry knelt down too. "You know...I actually need a partner. Your Uncle Ron challenged me to a match and he's pretty good. I bet I could beat him if I had someone really great to fly with. Do you know of anyone that might want to fly with me?"

Saffron hiccupped and raised her little hand.

Ron shook his head. "There's no way the two of you can beat me? I mean, have you seen me fly?"

"Badly," Harry cracked.

Ron punched him on the shoulder. "Funny, Potter."

"We'll fly really good, Daddy." Saffron wiped her eyes.

"You bet we will," Harry grinned at her.

"Harry," Hermione said uncertainly. "It's really cold out---"

"I'll bundle her up," Harry said. "She'll be fine, Hermione."

"Daddy, you can have Ethan's biscuit," Saffron said giving him a hug.

Harry chuckled. "Maybe later, baby."

Saffron followed him to the hall closet. Her father helped her into her cloak. "Let's not forget your mittens."

Saffron shook her head. "I don't want my hands to get cold!"

"Me either," Harry said helping her with them. "All nice and toasty."

"Do you think Santa might bring me new ones?" Saffron asked hopefully. "Red with white snowflakes?"

"He just might," Harry grinned. "They were on your list."

"I hope so," Saffron said fervently.

Harry handed her the broom. "Would the lady like to do the honours?"

Saffron carefully carried her father's broom outside.

Saffron heard the muffled sound of RJ and Ethan's laughter. Stupid brother, she thought to herself.

"Come on Daddy," she said. "We'll fly higher and faster than them!"

"Yes, we will," Harry grinned. "You just remember to hold on tight, okay?"

Saffron nodded happily.

Harry helped her mount the broom and then he got on behind her. Saffron laughed gleefully when they took to the air.

Harry grinned. Her laughter was one of his most favourite sounds in the world.

"You having fun, baby girl?" Harry called out.

"Yes, Daddy!" Saffron replied, giggling.

"Let's show Ron how to fly," Harry said putting his hands over Saffron's.

"Okay," Saffron said, leaning forward.

Although his daughter was four, Harry thought Saffron was on her way to being a great flyer. She had a great sense of direction and she seemed to have no fear when she was on a broom.

"Up!" Saffron shouted, pulling the handle with all her strength.

Ron waved in their direction.

Harry waved back with a grin. He and Saffron flew around for a bit before playing a quick pickup match with Ron. Saffron went back into the house glowing and beaming from ear to ear.

She was even happier when she saw that her older sister had arrived. "Julie!"

"Hi Saffy!" Julie exclaimed.

"Daddy and I went flying!" Saffron announced, giving her sister a big hug.

"I can tell," Julie kissed her sister's cold cheek.

"Ethan's being mean," Saffron told her while Julie helped her out of her cloak and mittens.

"He is?" Julie asked. "What did he do?"

Saffron told her about Ethan refusing to take her flying. "And I---I made him biscuits!"

"Well you're right, that's not very nice." Julie said. "Let's get back at him!"

Saffron grinned. "Okay!"

"Let's put a lump of coal in his stocking," Julie whispered to her.

Saffron giggled.

Julie found an old quill and transfigured it into a piece of coal. She and Saffron tiptoed into the sitting room.

"Ethan's a big stupid head," Saffron whispered.

"A lot of boys are," Julie nodded, looking over the row of stockings.

"Where's Nick?" Saffron asked.

"He's around here," Julie said, slipping the coal into Ethan's stocking.

"Let's go and get a biscuit," Saffron said tugging on her sister's hand.

"Okay," Julie agreed. "I can't wait to try yours!"

Saffron was still grinning from ear to ear when she and Julie entered the kitchen. Nick was catching up with Greta and he grinned when he saw Saffron. "Jules and I saw a little flash of red in the sky when we arrived. I heard it was you."

"Daddy and I flew really fast!" Saffron held her arms up to Nick.

Nick picked her up. "Does your mum know that?"

"I don't know," Saffron said.

Nick grinned. "I won't tell her."

"Okay," Saffron said. "Eat my biscuits, Nick!"

Greta held out the plate. "She worked really hard on these."

"They smell delicious," Nick said.

Saffron beamed at him.

"And they taste even better," Nick said. "Good job, Saffy."

RJ and Ethan came into the kitchen, there cheeks red from the cold. "Greta, let me have one of those," Ethan said reaching for one of the biscuits.

"No!" Saffron shouted. "You can't have any now!"

"Saf, come on," Ethan protested.

"You're mean," Saffron said.

"You were," Julie agreed.

Ethan glared at her. "Jules, you weren't even here."

"She told me all about it," Julie told him.

RJ folded his arms. "She's just being a brat."

"Well you're a big stupid head," Saffron retorted.

"Better that than a brat," RJ retorted.

"Okay," Greta said. "That's enough of that."

RJ knew he had the perfect opportunity to get back at her. "Well, guess what Saffron? Santa Claus isn't real. He's your mum and dad. They're the ones who buy your presents and they're the ones who leave them under the tree!"

"RJ!" Greta exclaimed.

"HE IS TOO REAL!" Saffron shouted at him.

"Nuh uh," RJ said gleefully.

Tears welled up in Saffron's eyes. "Is too!"

"Of course he's real," Greta assured her. "You know he's definitely coming by just for your biscuits."

Saffron looked up at her nanny. "R-really?"

"Absolutely," Greta gave both Ethan and RJ a look. "Right?"

"Right," Ethan said. He thought his sister was overreacting, but he didn't think RJ was right to tell her Santa wasn't real. He knew how much it meant to her.

"Really?" Saffron asked her brother.

Ethan nodded. "Yeah, of course."

Saffron gave her brother a tight hug. "You can have the big biscuit."

Ethan laughed. "Thanks, Saf."

"What about me?" RJ whined.

"No!" Saffron retorted before stalking out of the kitchen. She had a lot of things to plan. For one thing, she wasn't going to go to sleep tonight. She was going to stay up the entire night so she could see Santa for herself.

She went into the sitting room and looked happily at the tree. She and her parents had decorated it together a few weeks ago and her father had even helped her hang the star on the top.

She smiled as she remembered telling her parents everything she'd put on her list.

"And they said Santa would bring it all," she said in satisfaction.

Saffron smiled at the Santa ornament on the tree. "I'm going to meet you tonight."

"What are you up to, baby?" Hermione came into the room.

"Looking at the tree," Saffron replied.

"We did a great job didn't we?" Hermione asked.

Saffron nodded. "Mummy? Can I sleep down here tonight?"

Hermione smiled. "Are you going to wait up for Santa?"

Saffron nodded. "And I need your cam'ra."

"I'm sure that can be arranged," Hermione kissed her daughter's cheek.

"RJ said he wasn't real," Saffron said softly.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"He was being m-mean," Saffron said. "And he said that Santa was you and Daddy. But, I know that's not true!"

"Of course that's not true," Hermione reassured her.

Saffron hugged her mother and Hermione picked her up and carried her over to the sofa. Saffron rested her head on her mother's shoulder and closed her eyes.

"I have a feeling you're going to get everything you wanted this year," Hermione told her.

"Even my puppy?" Saffron asked sleepily.

"I don't know about the puppy," Hermione said. "That's a big responsibility."

Saffron didn't answer as she'd fallen asleep.

Hermione sat back with her daughter. She decided to let her sleep for now, since she knew Saffron would be awake half the night.

"Sleep, my sweet girl," Hermione whispered.

Harry came into the sitting room. "Did she finally crash?"

Hermione nodded. "She wants to stay up tonight."

"So does that mean we'll have to come up with a Santa?" Harry whispered.

Hermione looked down at her sleeping daughter. She was four years old and Hermione wanted her to believe as long as she possibly could. "Yes."

Harry nodded. "I'll see if Ron will do it- if not, then I will."

"How was your flying?" Hermione said smiling at her husband.

"Great," Harry said. "She loves it up there."

"And so do you," Hermione said softly.

Harry nodded. "I do."

Harry sat down beside his wife and daughter. "I guess it's going to be a long night."

"Maybe," Hermione said. "RJ went and told Saffron there was no Santa."

Harry sighed.

Hermione nodded. "That's why we need one."

Harry grinned. "All we have to do is tell Ron there's biscuits involved and I'm sure he'll be in."

Hermione laughed. "You'd better get a move on. You need to find a suit."

"Right," Harry said leaning in and kissing his wife. "I'll be back before dinner."

"Okay," Hermione said. "Good luck."

Harry gave her a lazy grin. "I don't need luck. I'm Harry Potter, remember?"

"How could I forget?" Hermione asked, rolling her eyes but grinning.

Harry gave his daughter a kiss on the cheek. "Happy Christmas, baby."

Saffron yawned but didn't wake up.

Dinner that evening went by without incident. RJ and Saffron weren't speaking to each other.

RJ knew better than to bring up Santa Claus again, but was still angry at Saffron for earlier.

Saffron looked at Ethan. "Will you stay up with me?"

"Stay up for what?" Ethan asked.

"To see Santa," Saffron told him.

Ethan shook his head. "Saf, it's been a long day. I'm knackered."

"Please?" Saffron asked.

Ethan shook his head.

"I'll stay up with you," Maddie replied. "I'd like to meet Santa. Thank him for all that he's given us."

"Yay!" Saffron said happily.

Luna smiled. "That's very sweet of you, Maddie."

"RJ will stay up with us as well," Maddie said.

RJ shook his head. "Why? It's just going to be a waste of----OW!"

"RJ will be happy to stay up with us," Maddie said, giving him a look.

"So will Ethan," Hermione said levelling her gaze at her only son.

"What?" Ethan asked. "Come on--"

"Ethan James," Hermione warned.

"Fine..." Ethan grumbled.

"Then it's settled," Hermione said. "We'll set up some blankets and things in the sitting room by the tree."

"Like a fort," Saffron said.

"Ethan and I can build it," Maddie said to Hermione. "We've done it before."

Ethan turned red. "Yeah, that could be cool."

"Ethan, you can show Maddie where we keep the extra linens," Hermione said.

"After dessert," Ethan replied.

"Of course," Maddie said chancing a smile at him.

Ethan half smiled back.

"I hope you've all got room for dessert," Greta announced bringing a tray of pies into the dining room.

"I'll take a whole one," Ron said.

"He'll start with a slice," Luna said. "Ronald, there are other people here."

"Come on--" Ron began.

"It's alright, Luna," Greta smiled. "I came prepared. I have a chocolate meringue just for Mr. Weasley."

"This is why I love you, Greta," Ron said.

Greta set a pie and a fork down in front of him. "Saffy helped me."

"Just for you Uncle Ron," Saffron said proudly.

Ron smiled at the little girl. He was happy to help Harry and Hermione out with their little plan for tonight. "Thanks, sweetheart."

"Is it good?" Saffron asked eagerly.

Ron took a big bite. He gave her the thumbs up sign. "Saffy, it's the best. Don't tell my mum though."

Saffron grinned.

RJ nudged his father. "Dad, I don't have to stay up, do I?"

"Why wouldn't you want to?" Ron asked.

"Because there's no such thing as Santa Clause," RJ whispered. "Josh told me."

"Your brother shouldn't have lied to you," Ron said quickly.

"Dad--" RJ started to protest.

"You'll see, tonight." Ron told him.

"Yeah, right," RJ grumbled helping himself to a bite of his pie.