Unofficial Portkey Archive

In Too Deep by the_real_mrs_potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

In Too Deep

the_real_mrs_potter

A/N: I got it up on time! Props to me! I would have had it done earlier, but I had some distractions. Honestly, this chapter started out as total bullshit and turned into something worthwhile with an actual meaning. I don't know how I manage to do that, but somehow I do. Now I think that I'll most likely only write about 1-3 more chapters. I know, it's so sad *tear*. But I feel as though I've done all I can with this story without making it overly cheesy. I do have other story ideas and will start on one after I finish this one-oh and a small break. I mean, a girl needs some time off once in a while. But here is a question for you: Would you want a humor fic or another dark one? I already have a good idea for a comedy one, but had this weird dream recently that gave me a whole other idea entirely! To check out the actual plotlines of the stories check out my website.

Disclaimer: Harry Potter isn't mine. Hermione Granger isn't mine. But if I had my way, they would have each other in places other than fanfiction. Mark my words!

Enjoy!

-

Ultimatum

She was in the hospital wing again; the smell gave it away as soon as she regained her senses. Opening up her heavy eyelids, she saw the oh-so-familiar high ceiling and it was confirmed. This was quickly becoming her second home. But where she was currently taking up residence wasn't what she was most concerned about. She wanted to know where Harry and Draco were. Propping herself up against the head of the cot, she looked around the room for any sign of them. On her right side she saw the familiar tuft of platinum locks tucked safely under a wool blanket and breathing heavily, deep in slumber. But the absence of ebony occupying any of the beds was making her panic. She knew that they had all gotten to Hogwarts safely-it was her last conscious thought before blacking out. Her arm had been clinging onto Harry the whole split-second trip and only let go of him when she felt the weight of unfamiliar exhaustion push down on her. He was here. But now the question was: Where was he now?

Hermione tried to remain calm. She had spent the last however many hours in the pits of Malfoy Manor, facing the Dark Lord, and ultimately helping in the destruction of him. He was dead. She had no doubt in her mind that he was no longer a part of this world. When he was alive she had always felt a lure to him and the Death Eater way. Even if she had left them, there was still a slight tug because he had always been like a father to her. Never mind that he had used her for his own dark purposes. He was still the man who trained her. But now that was all gone. She didn't know how something like that could possibly happen but the matter was that it did. He was dead and she was free.

The silence of the wing was deafening. The rain still hadn't stopped since the night previous. She didn't know whether to take that as a sort of melancholy sign or just coincidence. These past few days had been the most climactic of her life-again, she didn't know how to take that. On one hand, it made her stronger than she already was, but in a completely different way. Before she was physically and magically strong but now she had a mental strength that was hard to perceive her having a few months ago. It was amazing how much time could affect things. She didn't even want to think of how she was before any of this started. The thought was like opening a well of unwanted depression. The fact was that she wasn't like that anymore and that's all that mattered. She was a new person with a new life. A free life. A life she was supposed to be sharing with Harry.

After about ten minutes of unnatural silence Hermione began to get a little more than antsy. She began to pull the covers off of her when the door made a creaking noise. Not wanting to get caught for trying to sneak out of the wing, she quickly got back under just as the door opened. She didn't have enough time to fake sleep so she remained propped up against the headboard and looked directly into the familiar eyes of Remus Lupin. She let out a breath and relaxed seeing the friendly face. He took a seat next to her bed and smiled at her warmly.

"I see you made a full recovery." He commented.

"What do you mean?" She asked curiously.

He looked at her oddly for a moment before responding. "When we found you three, you were all unconscious. But you and Harry were-how do I put this?-drained. It was as though the energy had been sucked right out of you. What exactly happened while you were at Malfoy Manor?" Hermione must have looked reproachful, because he quickly followed, "Harry told me everything up until he collapsed."

"So he's okay?" She asked excitedly.

Remus smiled and nodded, "Yes, he's fine."

She let out a relieved sigh and then tried to focus on his question. The only thing she remembered was the shield. The shield. "When I went over to help Harry get out he wouldn't budge. Something about having to kill him…" She trailed off, wanting to remember exactly how he worded it. "`I've got to kill him', that's what he said. But the Dark Lord he… he tried to Avada us and it didn't work."

A look of awe passed on his face. "It didn't work?"

She shook her head, "No-no it just bounced back." When she saw that his face remained unchanged she began to explain. "When I didn't feel anything, I assumed I was dead. But when I opened my eyes, there was a shield around me and Harry. I don't know how it got there or remember casting anything. It was reflecting and absorbing any curse that was shot at us. It killed the Dark Lord. He wasn't moving when I saw him and I just kind of… know that he's not around anymore."

Remus let out a puff of breath as he leaned back in his seat. Hermione studied him for a moment as he absorbed the information that she fed him. He looked up at her after a few moments through hooded eyes. "I'm afraid that I have no further knowledge on this subject than you, my dear." Hermione nodded in disappointment. He saw her look and spoke up again, "But I know someone who might. I have my own suspicions but I'm sure that he will have a better outlook on it. If you'll excuse me?"

"Of course," Hermione said eagerly.

He proceeded to the exit but was stopped by the double doors opening just before he reached them. He allowed them to pass by before slinking out. She was tired of never being satisfied with the people who entered. They were never Harry. But at least it was the next best thing-the people she really needed to talk to-her friends. The two redheads walked slowly towards her and she automatically knew that she didn't need to explain anything to them by the looks on their faces.

"I'm guessing Harry told you everything, then?"

They both nodded, but Ron was the one to speak up first. "He told us to talk to you about it. Dunno why… he's been acting a bit off his rocker lately. But I guess it would sound better coming from you."

"It doesn't matter how she says it. She's still a Death Eater." Ginny spat.

"Ginny!" Ron hissed at her.

"Was." Hermione corrected. "I was a Death Eater. And not even that… I was more of a Death Eater in training."

Ginny looked unconvinced. Ron, on the other hand, was nodding. "I always knew there was something different about you. Couldn't put my finger on it though."

"You-you're not mad?" Hermione asked carefully.

"More like furious, betrayed, and abhorred."

Ron ignored his sister's comment and smiled at Hermione. "I figure if you saved Harry from his immanent doom, you're alright in my book."

"No more than he saved me." She commented carefully, knowing well that Ginny was still in the room and looking homicidal.

There was a long pause. Hermione saw Ron shuffling his feet and didn't want to brave looking at Ginny. She knew that she would only want to yell at her for something that wasn't even her fault to begin with. And ever since Remus had mentioned that she had been practically drained of her energy, she felt spent. Maybe it was her body finally realizing that she was doing too much too soon? Either way, she didn't have the energy to deal with an angry redhead and would much rather talk to one that actually still liked her for some odd reason. She had never fully appreciated Ron until now. And she should let him know that.

"Ron why don't you sit down? You too, Ginny." She motioned at the chair next to her bed.

"I'm quite fine standing, thankyouverymuch." Ginny answered hotly.

Ron, on the other hand, smiled and sat down in the spot vacated by Remus. Ginny made a noise of disgust and stomped over to a cot a few meters down. Not out of hearing distance, but far enough away where her facial features weren't as easily distinguishable.

When Ron was situated, Hermione spoke up before she lost her nerve. "I have to be honest with you, Ron. I never really jumped at the chance to get to know you and I want to apologize."

He chuckled, "I'm not the most appealing person. I get it."

"No! No it's not that. It's just that I was too wrapped up in… other things that I didn't really make time for friends. Well, intentionally that is." She chanced a look over at Ginny to emphasize her point. "On our date I didn't even pay attention to half the things you said. I'm horrible and I have no idea how you can be so forgiving. I think you should take a tip from Ginny and just hate me for the rest of your life."

"Unlike my kid sister, I don't think about myself before others. When I saw Harry talking about you and your so called `mission' I realized that something about you must still be appealing for him not to curse you into the next century." Hermione blushed. "She'll come around. She's convinced that she loves Harry, that's all."

Hermione furrowed her brows. "Convinced?"

He leaned forward a bit but still spoke in the same tone as he had been using. It was like he wanted Ginny to hear all this. "She's had a crush on him since she was ten and when he finally came around, she thought it was love. They both did. But I think that Harry had better tell you this. It really isn't my place."

Hermione began to get frustrated. "Speaking of which, where is he?"

"He's… ahh… well last time I saw him, he was outside." Hermione began to get up but Ron stopped her with a hand on her shoulder. "He'll come in eventually, I promise."

She huffed and crossed her hands over her chest. If Harry was awake he should be here and not outside. She needed to talk to him-see if he still loved her. He had changed his views before and he could do it again. The longer he was away, the more likely he was going to change his mind once more. She didn't want to go through that trip again. Ron was smart in staying quiet.

The doors opened again (shocker!) but this time she wasn't as eager to look at who was coming inside. Ironic, isn't it? For when she looked up slowly and saw a familiar pair of green eyes, her stomach jumped into her chest. On either side of him were Remus and, to her surprise, Dumbledore. But all she cared about was that Harry was finally there. He gave her a small smile and she grinned back. That was the first time she saw him smile in a while. Maybe thing were finally okay? Dumbledore and Remus both pulled up chars to sit beside her and Harry sat on the edge of her bed. She scooted over to give him more room and focused on the newcomers. Ron, however uncomfortable he looked, stayed put.

"Hermione, Harry, I've informed Professor Dumbledore of the situation at Malfoy Manor and he's come up with an answer that I'm sure will sedate our curiosity. Professor?"

"Thank you, Remus." He said with a smile. "Now, Miss Granger, you say that you saw a shield around you and Mr. Potter after Voldermort attempted to kill you?" Hermione nodded. "Was this shield, by any chance, blue?"

"Umm… yes. Yes it was." Hermione said reproachfully, not really knowing what significance the color of the shield had.

"I see." He said, stroking his long beard in thought. "Have you ever had anything like this happen to you before?"

Hermione shook her head, "No. Not to my knowledge."

"Curious." He looked to be in thought for a moment before continuing, "If my assumptions prove correct, I think I may have an answer for you. You see, sometimes witches and wizards are granted with the power to perform wandless magic. I'm guessing you both know of this talent. Some learn it, others are born with it, and most cannot perfect nor perform it without flaw. Although it is a rare thing to hear about, some individuals are so advanced in the craft that they can perform it without knowledge. These occasions are prompted by your mental state-in other words, your emotions. Whenever you feel strongly, and by strongly I mean feverishly so, the magic inside of you responds to that feeling with vigor. In other words, you unconsciously cast a spell in response to your emotions. For example, when you conjured the shield, it was because of what you were feeling for young Mr. Potter and the environment in which you were present."

"But sir, how could it have caused the Dark Lord's spell to bounce off of it? There's no spell out there that can repel the killing curse." Hermione said knowingly.

"A keen observation, Miss Granger. But there is, in fact, one way to repel it and it's in this very room." Hermione felt at a loss. What could he possibly be talking about? "There is one emotion that can repel anything thrown at it when mutual but even more so when both parties are powerful wizards. Love."

Hermione blushed and knew that beside her, Harry was doing the same.

"The love between the two of you is so powerful that it tapped into your wandless magic and protected you and the person whom you loved."

Hermione suddenly got a flash of Draco running through the shield and looked up at Dumbledore curiously. "Would it be possible for someone to run into the shield without it affecting them?"

"Perhaps," He said with a nod. "If said person held a place in your heart. Since the shield was caused by love, it would protect anyone whom you felt that for."

She looked over at Draco's cot and smiled.

Harry chose that moment to speak up. "What about the Death Eaters? Did anyone-"

"It's all being taken care of, Harry." Remus said quickly. "A good majority has escaped, but the Aurors are tracking them as we speak. They couldn't have gotten far."

"I-"

"You're not going to help, Harry." Remus said sternly,

"Why not?"

"For one, you're in no shape to do anything physical." Hermione looked at Harry and saw that Remus was right. When she got a good look at him he looked awful, like he had been to hell and back. There were bruises all over his arms and cuts all around his face. He looked as exhausted as she felt. Was this what they meant by drained? How did she look compared to him? "And second, I don't want you being put in any danger after what you've just been through. Alive or not, you're far from ready to fight again and that's final."

Hermione couldn't help but agree. But Harry wasn't as easily swayed. "Remus I'm fine!"

"Don't bother arguing. You're not setting foot outside of this castle and that's final."

Harry looked pleadingly at Dumbledore. "I'm afraid I agree with Remus, Harry. Your destiny has been fulfilled so I encourage you to indulge yourself with a much needed rest."

"But I-"

"Listen to them, mate." Ron spoke up for the first time after Remus and Dumbledore had arrived. "You look like you need a good rest and a bowl of my mum's lamb stew."

"Oh that sounds delightful!" Dumbledore said cheerily. "Would you mind flooing your mother to bring some for us?"

"Umm… sure?" Ron said with uneasiness as he began to get up.

"You may use the one in my office. The password is Nutella, a dreadfully delicious Muggle food spread." He said with a wide grin. "And take your sister with you, Mr. Weasley." He added.

Ginny, who had been slowly approaching the group, suddenly stilled. "What?"

Ron smirked and grabbed her by the elbow, dragging her along behind him, ignoring her protests. Hermione had to stifle a giggle at her childish reaction. Without Ginny in the room and her eyes glaring a hole in the side of Hermione's head, there was a welcomed relief that filled the room.

"Remus, would you care to join me for a walk around the grounds? I feel as though I need to prepare my stomach for the feast I am about to infest on it." Dumbledore asked, adjusting his glasses on the bridge of his nose.

Remus nodded, "Sure Albus. Harry, Hermione, if you'll excuse us."

"Re-"

"No, Harry."

Harry slumped against the head of the bed with a pout on his lips. She knew that she shouldn't think this while he was in such a mood, but he looked unbearably cute. When the door closed Hermione dared a look at Harry to see him clenching and un-clenching his fists.

"Why does he insist on holding me back?" He said angrily.

"Harry have you seen yourself?" She asked disbelievingly. "You look like hell."

"Thanks. That did wonders for my self-esteem." He said dryly.

"Well I know that I can't look much better so you're not alone in that respect." Harry gave her a small smile and she put one of her hands atop his in what she hoped was a comforting gesture. "We've saved each other on multiple occasions and that means if you go, then I'll have to go too. And not to sound selfish or anything, but I know that I'm not in the best condition to fight at the moment and need a good rest. And you must feel ten times worse so don't tell me that you feel fine. Tell me how you actually feel, and no fibs allowed."

He looked down at their hands and twisted his so that their fingers were intertwined. "I feel as though my insides just got third degree burns. My face is pulsing in random spots and my arms are like jelly. But most of all I feel as though I should hate you when in reality… I can't bring myself to."

Hermione was floored by the last statement and looked at him with wide eyes. He turned to her with an unreadable look on his face. "You used me and yet I don't feel anything close to bitterness or-or anger. At least, not anymore. When you jumped into that beam I didn't want to think that you actually cared. There was a small part of me screaming that you were lying and that I should never trust you again. And that part took over me until I woke up to you calling my name. Before you even started telling me your side of the story my mind was made up. I still feel the same way as I did before we left for the forbidden forest."

There were tears in Hermione's eyes by the time he finished. "I wouldn't blame you if you never wanted to speak to me again."

"That's a lie and we both know it." He said seriously.

She bowed her head down in shame. She felt so vulnerable when he said it like that-like she couldn't live without him. It didn't matter if it was true or not, it made her feel so small. His free hand came up to her chin and captured it between his thumb and pointer finger. She was forced to look in his eyes and suddenly felt warmth envelop her that she didn't even realize how much she missed. "For the first time in my life I feel free. I have my mind to myself." He said passionately.

"Is that a good thing?" She asked, her gaze flickering to his lips.

"Yes. It's a very good thing."

Before she could think of a proper response, his lips crashed onto hers. She disentangled their hands to grasp the nape of his neck and secure his lips on hers almost instantly, reveling in the taste of him. His hands came to her waist as his tongue plunged into her. It was a kiss shared only by people who wrongly doubted their love only to discover that all they needed was each other. Hermione was soaring above the clouds as he kissed her vigorously, seemingly pouring his heart into her. She didn't know why he was focusing all of his energy into it. It wasn't as though she didn't know he loved her-he had nothing to prove. And then it hit her.

He was trying to tell her something else.

She tore her lips away from his to ask him what exactly that was, but he just latched his lips to her neck and stopped her in her tracks. He sucked at the pulse point causing her to squirm and let out an uncharacteristic groan. Her intention forgotten, she tangled her hands in his hair and held him to her. His hand moved to her-his- shirt and made contact with the skin hidden beneath it. His touch sent a fire through her and she tugged his hair to re-attach his lips to hers, missing his taste. She then proceeded to straddle him and a second hand came to wrap around her waist and join the other in caressing her inflamed skin. Her hair served as a curtain around their faces, making them oblivious to the world around them. He flipped them around so her back was pressed firmly against the mattress, their lips never detaching. But it seemed as though as soon as he was in control, the passion began to ebb away. She didn't notice it at first, but as his lips slowed on hers and began pressing butterfly kisses across her cheeks, it became apparent.

He was saying goodbye.

"No." She said firmly as he pressed a kiss on the top of her nose. "You can't do this. Not now-not ever."

He looked her in the eyes so intensely that she felt like she was melting under him. "It's not forever. As soon as I'm well again, I'm going to help hunt down the rest of the Death Eaters and serve them with the justice they deserve. Remus told me that they were going to send some people out on the field tomorrow."

"But he said that you weren't ready and I agree." She said firmly. "You can't just leave! Like Dumbledore said: You've already done your job so rest! You and I both need it."

"I'll get plenty of rest by tomorrow. Word is that they're taking a train instead of apparating so as not to alert them."

"Harry you can't! I won't let you!"

"I have to."

"That's what you said about killing the Dark Lord!" She yelled at him. He pulled back when he saw her change of demeanor and got up slowly from his position on top of her. She followed him as he got up and sat firmly on the cot next to her, avoiding her eyes. "Do you honestly want to spend the rest of your life chasing after a future that doesn't exist? There will never be a peaceful world, I should know. There will always be someone rising to power and trying to envelop the world in darkness. If you choose to go after the remaining Death Eaters, it's going to be your life that you are dedicating to their demise. I know you better than you think I do. You don't want to chase after them forever-but if you start now, you won't be able to stop."

"I just… I want to help. It's all I know, Hermione." He said sadly. "Like you said: I have a `saving people thing'."

"Only until your scar stopped hurting!" She said desperately. "The Dark Lord spent the majority of his life chasing after you, plotting to kill you. It wasn't until recently that I realized how sad it was. He let you envelop his life-his entire being was set on killing you and nothing else. Is that how you want to end up? Like him? Chasing after the next wannabe Dark Lord for the rest of your life? Letting someone else dictate your life?"

"Well… I…"

"If you can't answer that question without thinking about it, then that means you have a choice to make." He looked at her, emerald clashing with chocolate. "It's them or us. I may love you, but that doesn't mean I'll wait on the sidelines for you the rest of my life."

It pained her to say it, but it had to be done. She had spent her whole life waiting on hand and foot for a man (if that's what he was) and didn't want to do it again. She didn't care if she was being selfish. After all that she'd been though, she deserved a little more than a repeat of the life she had thought she left behind. They both did. And Harry should know that, too. They deserved to live in a world in which they could enjoy life. Growing up with horrible upbringings should have taught them both that. Who knows? Maybe she was wrong and no one would have the guts to step into the Dark Lord's shoes.

She kept her eyes on him as she saw the concentration begin to make way onto his face. After a few minutes, he looked back up at her and opened his mouth to talk. She felt anticipation well up in her chest as he let the first few syllables pass through his lips. "I want to-"

The door slammed open and they both snapped their necks to whoever dared to interrupt their conversation. What met them was a grinning Mrs. Weasley holding a steaming pot of stew. Ron and Ginny soon came up behind her clutching their sides and breathing heavily. As soon as she set eyes on Harry and Hermione her eyes widened and she thrust the pot into the unsuspecting hands of Ron.

"You poor dears! Would you look at the sight of you? Oh my, I'm glad Ron called me when he did you look just horrible!" She bustled over to them and began examining each of them; lifting their arms about and brushing her hands on their cheeks. "You need a good serving of lamb stew and a hot bath. I'll go find Dumbledore and ask where I can put my special bath salts. Ron, give them some stew while I'm gone."

With that, she rushed out of the room and left all occupants horrified. Ron was the first to make an effort to do anything as he walked carefully over to the cot and placed the pot on the bedside table. "We tried to stop her, knowing you were probably alone. Sorry guys."

"It's fine, Ron." Hermione said softly. "You didn't interrupt anything."

Ron smiled and looked behind him where Ginny was still standing by the door, a few bowls clutched in her hands. As Ron walked over to gently coax them away from her, Hermione leaned near Harry and whispered. "We'll talk later."

It wasn't just a statement-it was a promise. And as Ron came back over with the bowls and began to pour them some stew, she realized that the rest of her life was lying in the decision of a man she didn't even know would choose her over his way of life. Merlin help her.

-->