Unofficial Portkey Archive

That Night & the Next Morning by Barmy_old_Codger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

That Night & the Next Morning

Barmy_old_Codger

That Night & the Next Morning - Part 2

By the Barmy_old_Codger

One Shot … Okay it's now a 2-Shot

Disclaimer: I own nothing, the bank owns it all. If you want any money out of me you'll have to pay off the bank first. JKR owns all the characters, I'm just playing with them.

A/N:

I'm adding this as a 2nd chapter to the above named One-Shot because many of you subscribed to 'Story Alerts' and the only way you would get a notification is if there was a new chapter. May I suggest an 'Author Alert' since the next chapter of this (if any) will be a new Story with a different title. How about 'Alice in Wonderland' … oh, that one's taken you say … and only Longbottoms mother is named Alice … too bad … I know, 'The Wizard of Ozz'? That one's taken too is it? How come all the good titles are taken?

Besides the fact that this story was still on my mind, I got more reviews for the first chapter than any other single chapter I've ever posted, this convinced me to continue. There is no particular plot other than the adventures or misadventures of H & Hr. There is no planned out story line. I have no idea what is coming next other than a rewrite of chapter 37 and following that into the summer.

AN #2: To address some flaws in the story:

Apparently I didn't do my research well enough, blame the Ron in me. Here are the issues:

On page 618, Dumbledore sent Sirius off to notify 'the old crowd' so he wouldn't have been hanging around the Hospital wing that night. On the other hand, maybe he saw reason … I don't think you would get much cooperation out of people you woke up at 1, 2 or 3 in the morning assuming he had gone immediately as JKR wrote.

On page 631, chapter 37, Hermione tells of her capture of Rita, the beetle, Skeeter on the window sill in the Hospital Wing which could have accounted for the noise she made that interrupted the hug between Molly and Harry … or not. JKR didn't nail it down, though it could be assumed.

If that makes this 'AU', then so be it.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

GoF Chapter 36¾ - The Following Day

Harry, Hermione and Padfoot made it to the Great Hall a bit early for supper; they found their usual places and sat side by side except for Padfoot who curled up under the table,.

Harry thought back over the last few months and noted that Ron would normally take the seat beside Hermione leaving Harry to sit opposite one of them. He was beginning to think that this was Hermione's plan so she wouldn't have to watch Ron eat. Ron's eating habits, even with Hermione's jibes, had not improved over the nearly four years they had known each other, you could dress him up, but you couldn't take him out.

Ron had told Harry some time ago that he liked Hermione and Harry had taken a step backwards to allow Ron his chance. The pair of them still fought like cats and dogs and he couldn't see Hermione wanting or deserving that for the rest of her life … or more to the point Ron's life since she would probably get frustrated and kill him sooner than later.

Hermione had yet to send an owl off to her parents, she was still working out how to word it. She didn't think her Mother would mind them all staying with Harry for the summer and she wouldn't expect her Father to object if the friend was another girl. Sirius would also be there, at least most of the time, but his presence would take some explaining since his face had been plastered all over the Muggle news last year as an extremely dangerous criminal.

Hermione felt something in her right hand and realized a moment later that it was Harry's left. She surreptitiously glanced over at him only to realize he was resolutely looking straight ahead … at nothing … well, mostly empty tables and a stone wall. Their hands fit together and closed on each other as naturally as could be, but Harry still didn't look at her.

They eventually made their way through supper saying very little while observing the reactions of Ron and Ginny who sat opposite them. Neither of the youngest Weasleys had said anything about it, but Hermione knew that Ginny had noticed their hand holding, though it was nothing new, and she was staring daggers at her while Ron gave Harry death glares. Harry could feel Hermione cringe every time Ron shovelled food into his mouth, and of course Ron never waited until his mouth was empty before trying to speak. Mercifully Ron said very little. Thank Merlin Ginny was not that way; neither were Fred or George … or pompous Percy for that matter. Ginny had obviously set her sights on Harry as her long term goal and Harry tried to avoid her like the plague.

After supper, by mutual agreement, Hermione went off to write her letter while Padfoot took Harry outside to talk. Unfortunately the two young red heads tagged along with Harry and Padfoot. Harry thought he knew how to scare them away. Once they exited the main Castle doors Harry turned to the red heads and said, "I have to explain to Padfoot about the birds and the bees." Ginny snickered once she caught on, and blushed while Ron looked up at Harry with a dazed and confused expression. Before Ron could open his mouth and prove how gormless he was, Harry rephrased his statement, "The Talk," he said. Ron's eyes bugged out and he quickly made an excuse to leave; Ginny remained, blushing and smirking.

Padfoot and Harry turned to stare at her until Ginny said, "Well … I've never heard the other side of the story before." They kept staring at her until she knew all hope was lost, she turned to re-enter the Castle. Harry and his Dogfather continued walking until they reached a secluded spot by the Black Lake where Sirius began to talk to Harry.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

When Ron arrived at the common room he found Hermione at a small table bent over a piece of parchment. He watched for a minute, she would write furiously, then stop and chew on her bottom lip while thinking. She repeated the process a few times before Ron's scowling face sat opposite her, breaking her concentration.

Hermione had made up her mind before they left the Hospital Wing, she had her sights set on The-Hyphenated-Boy and she was going to succeed! Hermione noted out of the corner of her eye that Ginny had arrived, a scowl was dramatically obvious on her face too.

Hermione dried the ink and turned her letter over when she realized Ginny was aimed in her direction too. Time for the showdown. Ginny arrived, pulling a chair behind her when Ron started to speak, "What are Sir …" Hermione had been prepared, her wand was up her sleeve, its business end between two fingers of her left hand, she had silenced Ron before he could finish the 'S' name.

"Okay you two, I am making my claim on Harry!" Ginny gasped and Hermione silenced her as well. "Ron … I know you want me to be your girlfriend … or something like that, but really … all we ever do is argue and Harry has to play referee to keep us from killing each other. It makes no sense for us to date! Period! Ginny … you can do whatever you like with 'The-Boy-Who-Lived' ". The young girl's face started to show surprise and happiness until Hermione continued. "I am going to keep Harry!"

Ginny's scowl returned, she couldn't see the difference. 'The-Boy-Who-Lived' and Harry were the same person, she didn't understand. She couldn't ask because she had been silenced.

Ginny, you saw all the girls that followed Vicktor around all year because he is a famous Quidditch star?" Ginny slowly nodded. "Harry hates being famous, he hates being known as 'The-Boy-Who-Lived' and he despises anyone who thinks of him that way. The best you could hope for is to be thought of as family, one of the Weasleys, or Ron's little sister … unless you change dramatically."

"I've got a note to finish … I'm going up to my room, bye." Said Hermione as she got up. Hermione flicked her wand just before she disappeared out of sight up the girl's stairs.

The next sound that was heard throughout Gryffindor Tower was, "BLOODY HELL!" followed by the slap of Ginny's hand covering Ron's mouth.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

"Pup," Sirius started, Harry grinned, "You need to take a stand with Hermione … or she'll start looking somewhere else for a boyfriend." They sat on the grass hidden by some trees near the waters edge. "The way you look at her … you're always holding hands and standing very close to each other … hugging …"

"But … Ron wants her for his girlfriend …" responded Harry.

"Harry, pull that brain of yours out of your arse and start using it. If she was the least bit interested in Ron, would she be holding your hand? Standing close to you? Damn Pup, she practically climbed into your bed last night. If she wanted Ron, would she not have left with Ron?"

"Her hand was all cut up last night."

"That old Mediwitch can fix cuts faster than she can mend bones and you know she can do that almost instantly." Said Sirius. "Hermione had to do some creative thinking and talking to convince Poppy to let her stay overnight … would she have done that for Ron … or anyone else?" Sirius sighed, then continued, "Lie back on the grass and think about it Pup, just think for a few minutes."

Harry lay back, laced his fingers together and placed his hands behind his head then started taking slow deep breaths. His mind started going over everything that happened in the last year. On Halloween when his name was picked for the Tournament, she believed him and stood by him all year, Ron was a jealous pratt. Harry went through every little incident, day by day, week by week, month by month … the whole year. He began to realize, Hermione didn't have to believe him, or stand beside him and help him get through each task, but she did. No one else helped him … well Ron helped a little later on. Dobby gave him the gillyweed, but only after he and Hermione searched for weeks through thousands of books in the Library. Who would have guessed to look for a book about magical Mediterranean water plants? Obviously not us. If they hadn't been summoned by McGonagall, Hermione would have kept looking until morning, Ron on the other hand had given up. Dobby saved the day, of course he was meant to hear about gillyweed in a conversation between McGonagall and the fake Moody. Finally the last task, Hermione helped him learn dozens of spells, hundreds more over the years, many he would never have found himself, and some of those helped him through that awful Maze and get away from Voldemort.

Harry started to think back through previous years. He remembered what she said to him in first year, before he went through the last door to find Quirrel and Mouldyshorts in front of the mirror. He remembered what she said about bravery and courage and it just dawned on him that she never finished that sentence, he considered the possibilities that she might have finished that thought with for a minute.

Second year after she was revived from being petrified, she hugged him and shook hands with Ron … interesting, and even more revealing.

Sirius interrupted the boy's musings, "You do love her don't you?"

"If love is being smothered by Mrs Weasley or having your guts squeezed out by Hagrid, I'm not sure I want to go there …" Harry thought for a moment about Hermione's hugs, then said, "on the other hand, Hermione gives nice hugs … I could live … for those hugs."

Sirius laughed while rolling around on the grass. When he regained his senses, Sirius spoke, "Harry, I think you have the beginnings of understanding love there, and I believe Hermione understands about your life with the Dursleys. Those idiots who raised you were no where near being a normal family so don't pattern yourself after them. The Weasleys are a bit on the other side of normal, they are closer to normal, but a large family like theirs has its own quirks. Hermione, even though she was brought up in a loving home, she, like you, didn't really have any good friends until you two met each other. I think you two were each others first real friends."

Sirius, I've probably already buggered it up royally, I keep taking Ron's side of their arguments … even though I know Hermione is usually right." Sighed Harry.

"No you haven't lost her yet Pup, though I would be very careful about that in the future. Girls want to have the support of their boyfriends even though they like to consider themselves to be quite independent."

"When you go back inside, find some time to be alone with her and ask her to be your girlfriend or tell her you want to date her, whichever step you're comfortable with. Don't do it with others listening or watching, she might feel embarrassed."

"Getting her alone should be easy enough, but what if she doesn't say yes?" Harry got up and started to pace nervously back and forth.

Sirius snickered and said, "I think you would have to try very hard to mess this up, however … a couple of suggestions … one … don't mention any other girls, especially Ginny or Cho when you ask her … and two … it's probably best to not mention my name or Ron's either. Once you've managed to get a yes out of her, it's still not a good idea to mention other girls in case she thinks you would rather be with them."

"The next thing you have to remember is two special phrases, 'I'm sorry' and 'Yes Dear', they will help you out of a lot of trouble so remember them."

"But?" said Harry.

"Pup, it doesn't matter … even if she wakes up with a headache and you were no where nearby … accept the blame and apologize … it's easier and it solves a lot of problems." Said Sirius and the look of confusion on Harry's face started Sirius laughing all over again. "Take my word for it Pup … just take my word."

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Hermione sealed up her letter and addressed it to her Mother; she then came down to the Common Room. Not seeing Harry anywhere she assumed he was still outside with Sirius and rushed off to the Owlery. The question of whether to ask Hedwig or just use a school owl plagued her all the way there. Once she arrived in the Owlery, Hedwig was awake and spotted her immediately. The Snowy White Owl hopped down to a lower perch in front of Hermione making up her mind for her. "Harry is so lucky to have you," said Hermione to Hedwig. The owl bobbed her head in agreement, "I often wonder just how much you really understand." She said as she tied the note to Hedwig's outstretched leg. "Will you take this to my Mum … Emma Jane Granger … in Oxford?"

Hedwig bobbed her head again, looked at Hermione for a moment, then flew away into the evening. Hermione watched until she was out of sight, then headed back to the Gryffindor Common Room.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

"I have plans for both of you this summer. Hermione's trying to get permission from her parents right now and I'll have to convince Dumbledore to let you leave Privet Drive early. I think I know what kind of blood wards he used at that house and if you're willing to donate a pint of your blood to spread around the ward stones and boundary line, I think it will work and you won't have to return there this year."

Harry gaped at Sirius, wide eyed and asked, "Why didn't he say something before? I will gladly donate all my blood to not have to return there ever again!"

"He must have had his reasons Pup … good or bad, I don't know. One more piece of advice," Sirius paused for a moment, then continued, "I'm not going to get into 'The Talk' right now, I will embarrass you with that later this summer. Assuming she agrees … and I think she will … keep your hands to her waist line and above … unless you get too aggressive she should be fine with that for now. You're both going to enter what is for you … and her … uncharted territory. There is a lot of room to explore above her waistline. If you touch her somewhere and she says 'no', then back off. You are both a few years too young to have sex even though you may have heard of some couples that have done it. There is an emotional commitment involved that I don't think either of you are quite ready for yet. There are a lot of ways to play and explore without having sex … when you get to that point in your relationship."

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Hermione arrived back at their Common Room and still no Harry. She was nervous, she had made a claim that was bound to be spreading through Hogwarts like a brush fire by now without even knowing if Harry would agree. What would he say when he found out what she had already told the two redheads. She sat in the overstuffed arm chair and started twiddling her thumbs, soon she was nibbling her lower lip and by the time Harry eventually showed up she was gnawing heavily on said lip. Hermione jumped up, captured his hand immediately turning him around and dragging him outside to the seventh floor corridor.

Harry was confused by her actions, but willingly followed along as this seemed to be getting Hermione all to himself as per Sirius' instructions. She dragged him down one empty corridor to the junction of another and looked in every direction, no one but them were in sight. She stopped and faced Harry.

"And it's good to see you again too." Said Harry with a Slytherin like grin on his face.

"Oh Harry, I'm sorry, I think I've made a big mistake and embarrassed both of us." She squeaked out, holding both his hands while looking at the floor. Ginny and Ron were both mad at me for getting a bed in the Hospital Wing and staying with you all night … and I couldn't stop myself." Her voice faded to a whisper at the end.

Harry tried to think just what this normally logical girl … no scratch that … young woman might have said that was going to be so disastrous. He remembered Rita's story about Hermione playing off his and Vicktor's emotions. He decided to go for broke and be humorous, "Well, I would have preferred to be there when you told them we were engaged." Harry said in a totally deadpanned tone of voice.

Hermione looked up at his smiling face in shock. Not knowing how to respond, to what seemed like a straight line, she just gawked at him in disbelief.

Harry looked around, there was still no one in sight, he didn't care at the moment what Hermione had thought she had done, this was his perfect opportunity. Blushing slightly at what he was about to say, he started, "Hermione Jane Granger," he managed to get that part out only to realize that his mouth was still flapping and words were spewing forth, he heard himself say, "Will you be my Girlfriend?" Harry's mind went into a tail spin when it dawned on him what he had just asked Hermione for. He knew she could probably hex him into a Unich if she had half a mind to do so.

Hermione's eyes bugged out, her jaw opened and her fine analytical brain shutdown. It began to reboot. Harry kept watching her, hearing no response for the longest time, he began to panic. Harry was poised to sprint down the corridor in any direction when he heard a faint, "yes," escape her lips.

Panic and flight poured off Harry like a waterfall, she said yes … he knew not what to do. He released his hands from hers and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her towards him gently.

Hermione's brain started to come online again and she looked up at his dazed and confused expression. She laughed, all her worries and concerns were vaporized in that second.

Not quite believing his good fortune, Harry asked, "Now what do we do?"

"Well … since it's now after curfew, we should get back to our Common Room," Hermione answered, "Then I want to sit on my Boyfriends lap and snog him silly.

"Oh …" said Harry, then his memory caught up with him and he asked, "Umm … what were you so concerned about when you dragged me out here?"

"Ahhh …" answered Hermione, "It's not so much of a major concern now. I told Ron that he and I were never going to be anything but friends and I told Ginny that you saw her only as Ron's little sister."

"That would be true enough, I guess, but that doesn't sound like the earth shattering disclosure I was expecting."

"No it's not … the next thing I said was that you were mine … that I was claiming you." Hermione stated looking sheepishly up into his eyes.

"Well … that's true enough now … hey, I want to try out this idea of you sitting in my lap and snogging me senseless. Let's get back to The Common Room.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Thanks for reading

Barmy

The corridor could have been paved in yellow bricks for all Alice (I mean Hermione) knew. She was holding on tight to Harry's arm and skipping back to their Common Room where there would be an orange bunny (I mean half Kneazle) waiting for them.