Unofficial Portkey Archive

Happy Birthday, Hermione by dragonrider
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Happy Birthday, Hermione

dragonrider

A/n: So, thanks to my ancient computer, I had to end the last chapter before I intended to, or risk losing everything. Then life intervened, and I wasn't able to go back and finish, so I ended up posting it as it was. Therefore, this chapter, which will be rather short, is actually the rest of the last one. It's really all I'll have time for today anyway. Sorry.

Thanks to all those who have left reviews. I appreciate both constructive criticism and encouragement. And once again, it all belongs to JKR.

Chapter three

(continue flashback)

"Hello, Hermione. I'm happy to see you, too"

As she continued to hold on to him, longer and harder than was customary even for the two best friends, Harry became suspicious. Something in her voice and demeanor left little doubt in his mind that something was wrong. For now, he was more that content to hold on to her, if that's what she needed. He'd find out the underlying cause later, when she was ready.

Several moments later, she pulled away enough to look up at him. Her smile was genuine, but her eyes confirmed his suspicions. Something was troubling her, though she tried to hide it from him. He pretended not to notice, knowing she would tell him when the time was right. He did, however, give her an extra reassuring squeeze.

"To what do I owe this honor, Mr. Potter?" she asked, grinning.

Harry stepped back in mock offense.

"What? I have to have a reason to visit my best friend?"

"Well, when said 'best friend' hasn't seen her best friend in nearly two weeks…."

"Okay, okay," he cut her off, grinning. "About that - I'm really sorry…."

This time, she cut him off.

"It's okay, Harry," she chuckled. "I'm just teasing. I know you've been busy. I hear you've been up to your ears in contractors and paperwork."

"I have - but how did you know?"

She moved closer to him, meeting his eyes with a rather smug look.

"I work for the Ministry, Harry," she stated in a husky voice. "I have spies."

"Spies. Have you been spying on me, Miss Granger?"

"Not personally, but I do have my sources. Someone has to keep an eye on you, Potter."

"You've always done that, Hermione. You're the reason I've survived."

"Don't exaggerate, Harry. You…."

He shushed her with a finger to her lips.

"As much as I'm enjoying this delightful banter, if we continue, your lunch break will be over and you're going to be one very hungry witch."

"And I don't suppose it would have anything to do with your appetite?"

"I have the rest of the day off. I can eat anytime. My concern is solely for you. So - shall we?" He swept his arm out, indicating that they should leave.

"I'll get my things," Hermione smiled.

As Harry waited for Hermione to get her belongings, a message soared through the air, stopping in front of him. A disembodied voice addressed him.

"Mr. Potter, this owl was just delivered for you."

Harry grabbed the paper from mid-air. The only thing written on the outside was his name, in very familiar handwriting. He grinned as he opened it, perusing it quickly.

Harry,

Sorry, mate. I know I should have contacted you, but I haven't exactly been in the most sociable mood. I should have told you myself, but I'm sure Hermione's told you everything by now. I'm at the Burrow now, got here last night.

Ron

Harry looked up from the note as Hermione rejoined him.

"What's this mean?" he asked, handing her the note. Hermione scanned it, then heaved a sigh.

"Let's go somewhere private, Harry. There are too many ears here."

Harry nodded. He had a deeling that he was about to find out what was troubling her - and that it had something to do with Ron.