Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Chance Meeting by midnight_arrow
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Chance Meeting

midnight_arrow

Shazzia Normal Shazzia 10 56 2003-08-23T02:20:00Z 2003-08-23T19:18:00Z 1 1040 5933 World Wide 49 13 6960 10.4219 Clean Clean MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Chapter 3

Dear Ronald, July 20, 1996

How are you? I am doing well as can be expected. Father and I have arrived in Sweden. Currently we are resting at a Muggle hotel for a time before we go on our expedition. These Muggles are most peculiar! Why, I saw this one Muggle who had a, as it turns out, fur scarf draped across her expensive dress. At the time I thought it was some sort of pet animal she was affectionately carrying with her. When I inquired as to what type of animal it was while petting it, the Muggle did not answer but instead threw me a look that quite clearly expressed what she though of me: something below a flobberworm. Father later told me that she was in fact not affectionately carrying her pet but that it was a fashion accessory. I have to agree with you, Ronald, these Muggles are clearly mad.

I wish you were here in person so I could confide in you, but these owls are quite acceptable of course, given the distance between us.

Father is calling me and I fear I must go. We are going to go be dining in a Muggle restaurant. Hope we do not run into any more peculiar Muggles.

Hoping you well in spirit and mind,

Luna Lovegood

p.s. Please give the additional letter that accompanied this one to Ginny.

***

Dear Luna, July 24, 1996

Your trip sounds like it's getting interesting! I'd watch out for the Muggles though, they're all barking mad!

I'm actually pretty bored here, there's nothing to do and the twins have transformed me into their newest guinea pig. Honestly! Never, ever accept any candy from them, no matter how normal it looks. Looks can be deceiving and I've got the bright aqua hair to prove it.

I never thought I would be owling you either, Luna. You're a good listener even though I can be the biggest prat but you seem to understand anyway...

I'd better go. I can hear the twins coming.

Wishing you a safe trip,

Ron

p.s. Ginny wrote you a reply. For some reason she was grinning when I told her I was going to write back to you.

***

Dearest Ronald, July 27, 1996

I am having quite an enjoyable trip. We have checked out of the Muggle hotel and are currently hiking to our camp site where we will set up camp for the remainder of our expedition. I have been looking very forward to getting our expedition started, I really can't quite quell my excitement!

There are a few other people here with us who are also interested in our expedition (which they heard about from last month's issue of The Quibbler) I've made friends with one boy, Tyler, who's a year older than us. We're so very excited about the Crumple-Horned Snorkacks! Hopefully we will be able to observe them in their natural habitat.

Ronald, you've also become a dear friend to me. When I received your last owl, I was positively bubbling over in excitement! Father thought I was acting quite odd, well more so than usual. Ginny's letter was nice, too.

Father is calling the rest of us to continue on in our hike (we've been resting for the last ten minutes or so) and Tyler is waiting for me, so I need to quickly end this letter!

I'm looking forward to your next owl and please give the attached letter to Ginny.

Yours,

Luna Lovegood

***

Dear Luna, July 30, 1996

I'm glad you're out of the company of Muggles, it's much nicer when you're among witches and wizards. It's much easier to breathe and you don't have to worry about those barking mad Muggles and their weird ways (Honestly, feminine napkins!?!).

Speaking of wizards, who is this Tyler? Are you sure he's trustworthy? I DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD BE FRIENDS WITH HIM!

Something just exploded in the twin's room and I can hear mum coming. I'd better go.

Ron

***

Dearest Ronald, August 5, 1996

Tyler is my friend, of course he is trustworthy. It is not like he is in league with You-Know-Who, he's only sixteen years old! It almost sounds as if you are jealous, Ronald! You know you are my friend as is Tyler and that you will always be my friend no matter what! Nothing will change that.

Now that we have that silliness out of the way, I can tell you about what is going on around here: We've hiked into a nice part of Sweden which is known to contain quite the number of magical creatures. Tomorrow we are going to set out to go exploring. Hopefully we will catch a glimpse of the Snorkack. Both Tyler and I are very excited to start on our expedition!

Love,

Luna Lovegood

***

Dear Luna, August 10, 1996

I'm sorry I overreacted about this Tyler fellow but after what happened in fifth year I guess I just want you to be safe. I know you can handle yourself and I trust that.

It sounds as if your trip is really starting to get more interesting. Despite Hermione saying those creatures don't exist, I really hope you find them. I know it would make you happy.

I've started helping out Fred and George at their joke shop, it beats moping around the Burrow all day and keeps me busy from dying of boredom.

Ginny keeps secretly smiling at me whenever she catches me reading your letter or writing one to you. Wonder what that's all about?

Hope you catch your Snorkacks!

Love,

Ron

***

Dearest Ronald, August 19, 1996

Thank you for apologizing but you didn't need to. I know you were just looking out for me. Merlin knows you're a good friend, Ronald.

It is I who should be apologizing for sending you this letter so late. We've been quite busy here at the camp for the last while and I'm afraid our adventure's going to be over by the time this will reach you.

Unfortunately, we didn't spot any Crumple-Horned Snorkacks but we did come across a site that quite possibly housed a couple of them! We even have broken shells that we found that could quite possibly belong to a baby Snorkack that was most probably hatched recently. This is quite exciting news! It will even be included in the next issue of The Quibbler, at least that is what Father says. It has not been made definite yet but Tyler and I may be able to write a joint article covering our expedition that may very well be published!

By the time you receive this letter, don't write a reply back as we will be traveling home by Muggle transportation and I don't think the Muggles will take to kindly to owls flying around in daylight.

Great Agatha's ghost! I can't wait to see you!

Love,

Luna Lovegood

p.s. Maybe we could see one another when I get back?

***

AN: I'd, I once again, like to thank my beta, Jori, who has been supportively beta-ing CM without complaint. One reviewer from the last chapter commented that this fic needed to be Brit picked, honestly I agree with you. Being Canadian, I'm not too familiar with the way Brits talk across the pond but for the sake of this fic, I try not to use much American/Canadian slang that would otherwise seem out of place. Anyway, I appreciate the suggestion and I'll try to be more careful in the future.