Unofficial Portkey Archive

Open Cage by papermask
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Open Cage

papermask

Okay, I promise I'll work on What's In A Name, but I just had to get this out of my system. I wanted to take a look at Ron in a different perspective than the usual. :]

The song used here is Talking Bird by Death Cab For Cutie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, my talking bird
Though you know so few words
They're on infinite repeat
Like your brain can't keep up with your beak

She sits with two children near the front door. They look somewhat confused, but happy nonetheless. As they chat with each other about going back to Hogwarts, she simply stares out the window, waiting. Waiting for him. Ron lets out a small sigh, and looks towards the ground. 'This was her choice,' he reminds himself, 'This is what she wanted.' Ron blinks back a few tears that are stinging his eyes. In all fairness, he should have seen this coming. Ever since Harry left Ginny. Ever since their school years. Ever since they all first met, he should have seen this coming.

And you're kept in an open cage
So you're free to leave or stay
And sometimes you get confused
Like there is a hint that I'm trying to give you

The silence is deafening, and the air is crisp. Ron watches his children continue in their idle chatter, occassionally glancing towards him with a smile. He smiles back, though his heart hurts. But she doesn't look at him. Hermione won't look at him. Ron doesn't know how she feels right now. He's never really understood her, though, has he? Throughout all the time that he's known her, he never actually took the time to truly comprehend her. Ron always assumed that there wasn't much to the plain, bossy bookworm. Later he would find a growing attraction towards her, and he would run with it. But he still never really saw her. Not like he should have.

And the longer you think
The less you know what to do

A few more minutes pass, all of them sitting in silence. Even Rose and Hugo have quieted. Ron glances from his children's faces to the face of his soon-to-be ex-wife. She is solemn, and he can't read the look in her eyes. But, her mouth gives her away. Although it is small, the corners of her lips are turned up into the tiniest of smiles. Not a plastered on smile, either. A true, real, sincere smile. Ron realizes that it's been a very long time since he's seen her smile like that.

It's hard to see your way out
When you live in a house in a house
'Cause you don't realize
That the windows were open the whole time

He didn't want it to end this way. He was pretty sure that she didn't, either. But, she did want it to end. After the initial shock and anger, Ron came to a realization. He would give this to her, this gift. To make up for all he had ever done, all that he might do. He would give her this because he loved her, but more importantly, because she deserved it. Ron had kept her in a place that she didn't need to be in, so, for the first time, he would give in. He would let her go.

But oh, my talking bird
Though your feathers are tattered and furled
I'll love you all your days
'Til the breath leaves your delicate frame

Ron was brought out of his reverie by a soft knock at the door. He didn't have to answer it to know who it was.The children looked up at their mother. Her facial expression had completely changed. It was clear that she was holding back laughter and smiles. Ron felt his heart break. Hermione walked towards the door and opened it. There was a pause - the time was finally here. The time when they could be together after so many years, the time they had been longing for ages. Harry swoops her into a giant hug, and she begins to cry softly. It seems to be years before they break apart and stare into each other's eyes. Suddenly, as if remembering that they weren't alone, Hermione turns to whisper to her children. It is then that Ron catches Harry's eye. They stare at each other, nether one willing to be the first to look away. Then, as if it came naturally, as if it had een there all along, Ron smiled and nodded his head. Harry's face broke into a small grin. So, this is how it was going to be. They would still be the infamous trio. Just with a little change. Ron could handle that.

Out of the corner of his eye, Ron sees his children rushing towards him. He bends down and grabs them both, hugging them with everything that he had. They say their goodbyes, but remind Ron that they will see him every other weekend. He nods and holds back more tears. Rose and Hugo turn and walk towards Harry and Hermione, but as the group turns to go, Hermione stops. She turns around, and for the first time that day, looks Ron in the eye. She smiles. Hermione walks up to him, keeping his gaze, and suddenly, without any warning whatsoever, hugs him. It is then that Ron's tears fall. "There is no possible way that I can ever thank you enough for this," she says. Ron looks at her. Her face is glowing and it is clear that she is thankful. Ron simply smiles weakly in return. "You know," Hermione says as she turns to go, "I hear Luna's been looking for you." Ron lets a larger smile overcome him. 'Goodbye, Hermione', he thinks, 'No...wait...not goodbye. Good luck'.

It's all here for you
As long as you choose to stay
It's all here for you
As long as you don't fly away

Ron watches as the group walks out of the house. Before they apparate away, he watches from the window as Harry and Hermione kiss tenderly. Ron smiles.

-Fin-