Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Angel of Darkness by Sageon
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Angel of Darkness

Sageon

No updates since October? Blimey! Didn't think it'd been that long. I've had this chapter written for a while but an abrupt unemployment and relocation has kept me distracted.

This chapter is a little bizarre, but please ... bear with me.

Chapter Three

Emblem

Glowing embers spat harmlessly onto the aged rug that filled the space between the fireplace and the settee of number twelve, Grimmauld Place. One by one, the party of five who had just left Harry Potter at the Grangers stepped nonchalantly from the blaze. They were one member short; Kingsley, knowing Harry had sufficient sanctuary, returned to the Ministry of Magic to continue his previous duties. However, Mad Eye maintained his escort; who was rather vociferous about leaving the boy behind.

"Why the bloody hell are we leaving him there?" asked Moody once emerged, taking a seat on the sofa. "This bloke wanted him at the Grangers; and he is, Albus, alone!"

"This stranger is no enemy of ours," Dumbledore elaborated. His company reacted accordingly. "Tonight, he had the opportunity to extinguish the lives of either Mr Potter or Mr Riddle. Although I presume this person could very well have dispatched Voldemort, Harry's safety and escape was this person's primary priority. He seems to have the swordsmanship to deflect any wand-cast projectile spells, but spells which fill a larger area such as the Fiendfyre Voldemort seemed to use tonight would prove difficult to defend against."

"Your faith in Harry's saviour seems to have skyrocketed tonight, Dumbledore," Alastor noted. "Until we discover who this fella is, in my eyes, he's as good a Death Eater as Lucius Malfoy!"

"Then that is your opinion, Alastor. However, Harry has generously donated his memory of the event, which will hopefully help determine this stranger's agenda - and his identity. Remus, could you have a look for a spare Pensieve? We can see for ourselves what happened to Mr Potter tonight."

Lupin took half an hour to fetch the Pensieve, which he placed on a coffee table Dumbledore swiftly conjured. The headmaster produced the small vial that contained Harry's memory and tipped it into the stone receptacle. He looked to the others, who looked eager to follow. "Apologies, Alastor, Remus, Nymphadora" he said, earning a stern stare from Tonks. "I need to inspect this by myself before I allow you to follow." Without much adieu, he inspected the memory unaccompanied.

Thirty tentative minutes passed as the remaining three Order members lulled about, mulling over their own conclusions until the headmaster emerged from the Pensieve. "Anything!?" urged Tonks.

"Come with me," he smiled, his eyes twinkling, before the other four followed him into the Pensieve.

Thick, dark grey clouds blanketed a small suburban area on the outskirts of Birmingham. Their ominous approach had promised more rain, which one of its victims found soothing; its sporadic patter on the pavements, windows and leaves were almost melodic to him. The combination of the weather and dawning sun cast a blue hue upon the scene gave it a winter-esque atmosphere. Perched high in a tree, he stalked a house across the road. There was nothing visibly significant about it apart from the towering conifer tree stationed in the front garden, concealing the majority of the house.

A sudden break in the atmosphere broke his trance; then another, until two more made him anxious. He gritted his teeth, awaiting the arrival of whoever had caused the Apparation cracks. From the gullies in between the houses, four wizards emerged and regrouped with each other. They spoke between themselves, their spectator watching them intently. He recognised the tallest one immediately, the unmistakable Professor Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Two of his party seemed familiar but he had no idea who the man with the dancing eye was.

After mulling for several minutes, they approached the very same house he had been watching over. Panic swept over him and without hesitation, lunged out of the tree, nothing but the rustling of the trees giving his action away. The scarred, battle-worn wizard saw him first. His wand was drawn instantly but the pouncer had already landed in the middle of them. In an instant, all five of them were gone in a flash of green light.

In the same flash of colour, they landed in a hall made of metal, filled with a plethora of vehicles and gadgets. It was more or less the same size as the Great Hall of Hogwarts. Its ceiling, a breathtaking view of thousands of stars, captivated all four newcomers. Their attacker stormed away from them before turning violently to face them. "What were you doing!?" he exclaimed, his angry voice muffled by the mask that covered his face, his eyes glowing brightly. "You could've ruined everything!"

Dumbledore grimaced. "Pardon me?" He looked puzzled as did his party.

"They're not supposed to know I'm here," said the figure, his green and brown cloak fading into maroon.

The headmaster eyed the turquoise emblem around the man's neck then stared at the stranger's turquoise green eyes. "According to that symbol around your neck, you're a Knox," Professor Dumbledore deduced stoically; as usual, his unsurpassable knowledge caught his companions' attention.

"He said I couldn't get anything past you," he sighed, removing his disguise. His long brown hair fell just short of his shoulders; it was shaggy but stylish although the revelation knocked his fringe askew, which he corrected immediately. Short facial hair followed the shape of his jaw but wasn't prominent enough to be a beard. "Come with me, Mr Dumbledore," the familiarity shocked everyone. "I have something that you need to see."

"Albus, no!" Moody implored.

"Alastor," said Dumbledore humbly, "if this young man's intention is to kill me, I am positive that I would already be so. So I believe he may have important business with me other than my extermination."

If Dumbledore's statement was meant to sober Moody, it didn't work; if anything, it unsettled him further but he maintained silence. Knox wordlessly took point and the headmaster followed until they walked side by side. "I don't like this at all," growled Moody.

"Is he sure it's the right person? His hair were red in Harry's memory, a dark shade of red," Tonks mused, fiddling with her own metamorphic hair.

"I'm positive," Lupin affirmed. "His clothes were almost exactly the same apart from his cloak; the eyes, the emblem ... they all fit. But if this family are as powerful as the headmaster says, and they are indeed our allies ... why didn't he recruit them earlier?"

Professor Dumbledore walked tentatively alongside the young man, who led him down several corridors until they reached what looked like the bridge of whatever containment they were in. "Where are we, Mr Knox?" asked Dumbledore, stopping to allow the boy gain a several step gap.

He turned around, crossing his arms. "We're in the Aphex, our intergalactic transport."

If the revelation of such a bizarre location fazed the aged man, he never showed it. Instead, his steadfast curiosity continued. "So I am correct by saying you are Nethen Knox's son."

"Lenor Knox, yep," he answered. From Lenor's look, the professor's reaction seemed expected.

"You're not -?"

"Darren? I can understand why you think so. I have a letter that explains my appearance if you are interested, sir?"

"My intrigue is undoubtedly peaked, Mr Knox."

Lenor smiled slightly and turned, heading for the two seats at the front of the bridge. A worn leather satchel hung from the corner of the left seat from which Lenor procured a tattered envelope. He handed it to Professor Dumbledore who adjusted his glasses for what he was about to read.

After withdrawing the parchment from the envelope, the headmaster commented immediately. "This ... cannot be true," he gasped, looking astonished at Lenor.

"I assure you that it is very true, Professor," assured Lenor.

The professor read the remainder of the letter, soon turning to stroking his long wispy beard. When he finished, he turned his bright blue eyes to the young man in front of him. "Please," he paused, "you must tell me everything."

Knox nodded. "Let's take a seat and I will tell you what I know."

-->