Unofficial Portkey Archive

What if...? by Hermy10
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What if...?

Hermy10

Hey guys well I've been working on this story since HBP came out in July. This is my longest story yet so I hope you like it. I am currently beta less so I apologize for the mistakes that I didn't catch. I have about four chapters finished so far so if you're interested in becoming my beta review and let me know.

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter….but I wish I did =]

What If…..

What if Hermione didn't already have a date to Slughorn's Christmas party?

The moon was shining brightly over the dark Hogwarts castle as most of the occupants were already submerged in their dreams, except two individuals.

Harry Potter was sitting next to Hermione Granger at a table in the desolate Hogwarts library.

Harry was trying to read his copy of Advanced Potion-Making but he was unable to focus properly on the book because he kept getting distracted by the young woman sitting next to him who was loudly voicing her opinion about their red head friend.

"He can kiss whom ever he wants," Said Hermione scornfully as she quickly stood up to retrieve yet another book but continued the conversation as she did so, "I really could care less about who he infatuates himself with."

Hermione continued roaming the library searching for a book when Harry thought he heard her mumble "Bloody waste of time." Before she sought out the book she had wanted and returned to their table.

Harry chose not to say anything about it and continued reading and taking notes pretending he didn't hear her last comment at all. He figured it was best to remain on her good side at least once this year; He hadn't been on good terms with Hermione ever since he found the Half-Blood Prince's Potions Book. He knew the conversation was bound to come up sooner or later and he seriously was hoping for the latter.

After a few silent moments between the two Hermione couldn't hold it in any longer.

"Harry you really need to be careful about-"

"I'm not turning it in Hermione," Harry exasperatedly whispered as Ms. Pince was prowling behind the bookshelf behind their table, "For the last time please just drop it for once."

Harry dropped his head on the table refusing to look at her knowing that he'd just hurt her feelings.

"I wasn't talking about THAT book." She replied angrily eyeing the book as if it would attack her at any moment.

Harry looked up at her sheepishly, his cheeks turning red with embarrassment. "I'm sorry Hermione." Harry sincerely said as he gave her his famous lopsided smile.

She rewarded him with a slight smile that didn't reach her eyes. "Its fine Harry, really," She replied in a whisper and soon replaced her smile with a frown, "As I was saying you need to be careful, I mean you can't just ask anyone to Slughorn's Christmas party."

Harry rubbed his neck; his eyes thoroughly distracted as thoughts were racing through his head before finally looking Hermione in the eyes. "Why not?" He questioned her with a confused tilt of his head.

"Well," She started hesitantly, "I was in the girl's bathroom when I heard a few girls plotting with each other on the best way to give you a love potion."

Harry's movements stopped as soon as she finished talking and he just sat there with his mouth open in shock. "Wha-" He paused shaking his head. "Really?" Harry's eyes widening with disbelief.

Hermione could only look at him with pity before replying very slowly. "Yes Harry, what do you expect, I mean people think you're the chosen one."

Harry opened his mouth to retaliate but closed it quickly when Hermione glared at him clutching the Daily Prophet in her hand daring him to say what she thought he was going to.

"Yes Harry I know you are the chosen one but it doesn't matter, they are all hoping that you will ask them to Slughorn's Christmas party. That's why you need to be careful about who you ask." Hermione said quickly before dropping her gaze back to her books.

"O-okay." Was all Harry could manage; he was astonished by what girls would do just to get a date with him.

Harry looked down at his watch, surprised that it was nearly eleven.

"Sorry if I'm being to forward, I was just wondering w-who are you going to the party with?" Hermione shyly asked, bringing his attention back to her.

"Oh um well," He slumped down further in his seat, "Truth is I haven't asked anyone yet." He added his voice trailing off in embarrassment.

"Oh." Hermione replied surprise evident in her voice.

Harry couldn't focus any longer as he just realized that the party was next week, he hadn't thought of anyone to ask.

"Hermione?"

"Hmm?" Hermione whispered never taking her eyes off of her essay.

"I was wondering, you know with Slughorns Christmas party coming up," Harry paused to look at her face to see if she knew where this was going. "And seeing as we both don't have proper dates I was thinking that maybe um you and I could go together."

Hermione's head snapped up quickly and she immediately winced in pain at the loud cracking sound her neck made. While rubbing her now sore neck Hermione raised a questioning eyebrow in Harry's direction that soon led Harry to correct himself.

"You know as friends," Harry swallowed allowing him time to think. "Friends."

Hermione looked away for a moment to collect a quill that she had accidentally dropped a few seconds ago only to return with a bright smile on her face.

"Why didn't I think of that?" She laughed at herself

"Think of what?" Harry slowly questioned her with a blank expression on his face that could bring a lost puppy's face to shame.

Hermione looked up at Harry with a slight blush on her cheeks as she put her hand to her forehead. "I didn't think of us going together. I was going to ask Cormac."

Harry looked at her with an incredulous look on his face. "Why would you ever want to ask that bloke?"

Hermione clearly didn't plan on answering this question because she stood up suddenly and grabbed her books off the table, slowly making her way around the library putting them in their correct places.

Harry knew it wasn't like Hermione to run away from him unless she was ashamed of something so he quickly understood that what ever she refused to say couldn't be good. However, he wasn't going to let her get to far away from him so he quickly stood up and followed her until she had finally put all of her books away.

"Hermione wait." Harry gently grabbed her shoulders looking her straight in the eyes.

"Okay, alright," She said raising her hands as a sign of surrender. "I wanted to make Ron jealous and I figured that Cormac was perfect for doing just that."

"Oh." Harry said dropping his hands back to his sides and taking a couple steps away from her.

"Yeah I know not one of my most brilliant plans," Hermione said shrugging her shoulders. "Look Harry, I would really love to go with you to the party that is if you're not totally disgusted with me."

Harry smiled his first true genuine smile in months.

"Hardly Hermione, and besides you just saved me from a night full of weird conversations with Luna." He added as an after thought.

"Harry!" Hermione laughed as she playfully pushed Harry.

"OOOHPOTTY ASKED GRANGY TO GO TO THE PARTY!" Screamed a voice from above; Peeves just happened to be hanging upside down from the chandelier planning to cause havoc on unsuspecting students in the morning.

Harry and Hermione both covered their ears as he continued to scream "Potty loves Grangey! Potty loooooooveeeesssss Graaaangggeeey!" Before he floated away cackling madly.

They went to retrieve their bags from the table and began their long journey back to the Common Room.

"Are you sure?" Harry asked Hermione just outside the Common Room door.

"Sure of what?" Hermione replied clearly startled from her thoughts.

"Are you sure you want to go with me?"

"Of course, silly." Said Hermione while grabbing onto his arm.

Harry smiled at her and together then proceeded into the Common Room for a well earned rest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day Harry was in the Common Room reading his Potion book when Ron suddenly appeared at the Common Room entrance and released a huge sigh as he sat down next to Harry.

"What's wrong?" Harry readily questioned him without even looking up from his book.

Harry knew that Ron and Lavender were having problems with their relationship and Harry had to sit there and act like he actually cared about his dumb ass best friend's relationship with a girl that he didn't even care about. All the while Ron just happened to be breaking his other best friend's heart. So Harry felt that a little anger toward him was justified.

"Lav Lav is driving me insane." Ron then proceeded to emphasize this by pulling at his long red locks of hair.

"She's still snogging you non-stop?"

Ron nodded

"Break up with her then Ron." Harry mechanically replied as he did everyday.

"Yeah, I guess I should." Ron muttered shrugging his shoulders.

And like every other night for the past month the conversation ended exactly as it always did. Ron not being man enough to break up with Lavender.

"You're still reading that thing?" Ron stated desperately searching for a different subject unable to handle the silence that always followed that particular conversation.

"Yeah."

"Slughorn's party is soon isn't it?"

Harry quickly looked up from his book. This was uncharted territory, and Harry found himself wondering if Ron would question him about it further; particularly about his date.

"Yes." Harry finally murmured.

"Who are you going with?" Ron questioned taking a chocolate frog out of his robes.

Harry looked at Ron before resting his cheek on the knuckles of his hand appearing to be deeply in thought but also calm and collected. However this was not the case as there was a war raging inside of his head.

"Bloody Hell, what am I supposed to say?" He questioned himself quickly getting more and more panicked about the situation.

Several seconds later- though it seemed like hours to Harry- he came up with the solution. It was quite easy actually. He figured since Hermione had wanted Ron to be jealous he decided to tell him exactly just who he was going with.

"Mate, you there?" Came a rather annoying voice that soon was followed by a hand that rapidly waved in front of his face.

Harry shook his head putting on a mischievous smile before replying.

"Yeah, I'm going with Her-"

"Hey boys." Interrupted a very familiar voice.

Hermione just happened to enter the Common Room right as Harry was about to tell Ron. She walked out of the shadows so they could identify who it was. She began walking over to the couch but stopped short as she noticed Harry sending her a relieved smile. She smiled hesitantly back at him.

Silence ensued for another awkward moment before she continued walking over to them. She stopped and sat on the edge of Harry's chair as he murmured a hello in her direction.

She slowly looked between Harry and Ron before she realized she had walked in on a conversation that she wasn't supposed to hear. Normally she would start pestering them about it but she just didn't feel like dealing with Ron and felt that she could live without knowing for just this once.

"Okay then, well I'm going to head up to bed." She awkwardly said as she hopped off of Harry's chair.

"Night then." Came Ron's reply.

"Goodnight, Hermione."

"Goodnight, boys." Hermione kindly said as she ran her hand lovingly threw Harry's untamable hair before slowly ascending the stairs.

The silence was deafening as Ron looked in Harry's direction with accusatory eyes just as Hermione had left the room.

"What was that about?" Ron slowly got out of his chair wanting to know what the bloody hell was going on.

Harry wasn't going to lighten up the situation for Ron and just replied to his question with a shrug of his shoulders before bidding him goodnight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day of the party Hermione was no where to be found. They had decided to meet each other outside the Entrance Hall so they wouldn't have to go down to Slughorn's office alone.

Harry would never admit that he was extremely scared of what people would assume once they saw Hermione and himself together at the party. There were already plenty of rumors going around the castle about the events that took place two years ago. He then realized that he actually cared what those insufferable people thought of him; which had caused him to put on his red tie incorrectly for the fifth time.

His thoughts were interrupted as Ron came into the dormitory and laughed at the look on Harry's face.

"Mate you look like your about to piss yourself," Ron said. Harry threw Ron an irritated glare before chucking an over stuffed pillow at Ron's head while he was bent over grabbing his stomach with glee. "This girl must be bloody hot, if she's got the famous Harry Potter this nervous."

Harry just ignored him as he finally fixed his tie. He looked in the mirror trying to flatten his hair but he stopped seeing as he was only making it stand up even more. Harry let out a shaky sigh before walking to his bed and picking up his wand.

"Just in case." Harry thought to himself wanting to be able to protect Hermione.

He put his wand in his holster, walked out of the dormitory and into the Common Room.

Harry sank down into the couch seeing as he still had half an hour till he had to meet Hermione. He put his face in his hands before he noticed that Ron wasn't sitting next to him. He looked up to see Ron lingering by the door.

"Where are you going?"

"Oh um…Lav Lav wanted me to meet her so, I'll see you later mate." Ron nearly whispered before quickly making his way to the door.

"Hang on a sec," Harry said stopping all of Ron's movements.

Ron looked uncomfortable with the situation so he settled for rubbing his neck

"I thought you were going to break up with her Ron." Harry stood up crossing his arms on his chest.

Ron's head snapped up and his face began to turn red. "Well I was going to," He proclaimed lamely. "But then-"

"What did she start snogging you again so you couldn't get the words out of your mouth?" Harry questioned loudly taking a step towards Ron.

"No," Ron scoffed.

"Then why haven't you broken it off with her. You're the one who is always complaining to me about it and yet you refuse to do something about it." Harry snapped at Ron and took another threatening step forward who in return walked up to Harry.

"Why do you suddenly care so much anyways?"

They were standing head to head their chests puffed out and noses nearly touching before Ron shook his head grinding his teeth together "You know what, I don't answer to you." He started toward the door nearly knocking over a few chairs in his wake.

"Good, just remember that next time when you come crying to me." Harry turned around and clenched his fists until he heard the Common Room door shut with a thud. He walked to the couch and sat heavily down on the cushions before growling and throwing a pillow across the room.

"Damn him." Harry mumbled as he ground his teeth together.

He spent the next several minutes trying to control his anger at his best friend. Finally Harry let out a slow breath as he looked at his watch, realizing he had twelve minutes before he had to meet Hermione down at the Great Hall. He stood up and walked out of the Common Room.

********************************************************************

Harry arrived outside the Great Hall seven minutes before he was supposed to meet his date. This led to Harry pacing back and forth wondering why he was so nervous all of the sudden. He didn't understand, he had been to the Yule Ball with Pavarti in forth year and surely this was no Yule Ball but Harry felt that this party was a lot more important than the Yule Ball.

"Come on Potter its just Hermione," He told himself, "Your best friend of six years."

This of course didn't help at all, if anything it made him even more nervous as he continued to talk to himself.

Harry sighed as he sat down on the stairs slowly running a hand through his raven locks.

"Bloody Hell, what's wrong with me?"

His thought process was hindered as a small chill traveled up his spine as he felt a hand on his shoulder. He slowly turned around only to be astonished at the sight before him that could only be described as breathtaking.

Hermione was wearing a beautiful strapless knee-length coral dress, that just so happened to accentuate every curve of her body that was usually hidden by those damn school robes. Her hair was put up elegantly with a clip at the nape of her neck. Harry thought that she was even more breathtaking than she was at the Yule Ball.

"Hey, you okay?" said a voice that made Harry suddenly forget his name.

Harry slowly blinked at Hermione before smiling sheepishly at her. "Yeah, just got lost in my thoughts is all," Harry said while grabbing Hermione's hand to take it off his shoulder and intertwined his finger with hers. "You look amazing Hermione."

Hermione blushed slightly and stumbled for words. "Thanks, you look quite handsome if I do say so myself Mr. Potter." Hermione teased him before pushing him playfully down the rest of the stairs.

"Why thank you Miss Granger," Harry then proceeded to bow dramatically while holding out his arm to her, "Shall we?"

"Lead the way Mr. Potter." She cheekily replied with an overly dramatic curtsy of her own before finally taking his offered arm.

They made it halfway down the hall before they broke out in hysterical laughter that had tears soon streaming down both of their faces.

"Nice going Potter, now I have to go fix my makeup." Hermione laughed while wiping at her eyes carefully trying not to smudge her mascara any more then it was already. She turned to look at him and gave him one of her famous scowls that could rival McGonagall's. This of course only promoted more laughter from Harry.

"Sorry," He laughed as he wiped his eyes, "You look perfect Mione." His hand slowly reached out to tuck a stray piece of hair behind her ear all the while he was unknowingly caressing her cheek. Hermione sighed quietly and Harry realized what he was doing and quickly took his hand away. Hermione blushed even more before excusing herself to go to the girls' lavatory.

"You go on without me." Hermione quickly turned around and began walking in the direction of the lavatory clearly not thinking that Harry would protest to her suggestion.

She was already halfway down the next hallway when a hand appeared out of no where and stopped her movement. She slowly turned around only to smile at the familiar face.

"No, I'll wait for you Hermione. What kind of date would I be if I didn't wait for you?" Harry grinned grabbing her hand and together they ran down the hall.

Me likey REVIEWS lol