Unofficial Portkey Archive

What if...? by Hermy10
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What if...?

Hermy10

Hey guys! Happy new year! Haha sooo I'm sorry about the Christmas update that didn't happen I got distracted with family and such. Oh yeah and thanks for the reviews it really makes me happy haha. Well guess what guys!! I got a BETA!! Whoo yeah I'm excited haha so this is the first chapter that was done by J.Michelle so I wanna thank her for being awesome and saving me a lot of time. Well the story is almost over guys just two or three more chapters to go. Well I'm going to go eat some pizza… Happy 2010!

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter…..stop trying to get me in trouble

"Ok, Hermione's right I really do need to be careful about who I fancy; it can't just be anyone. She has to really know me, not Harry Potter the bloody boy who lived; she has to know the real Harry. She has to understand why I do what I do, why I have these sudden urges to save people. She has to support me no matter what happens. She has to be there for me, to stop me from brooding over things that aren't really my fault, even when I convince myself that they are. She has to love me for what I am, understanding that I couldn't change even if I wanted to. She has to stand with and love me till end, even if I have a piece of Voldemort in me." Harry laughed at the thought, "No girl would ever come near me if that happened. Who would love me enough to even do all of those things?"

"Oh Harry."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry's breath was soon knocked out of him when a body collided with his. He realized it was Hermione as the smell of her perfume wafted up into his nose. After he began to breathe properly once more, he realized that Hermione was actually hugging him.

"There you are, thank goodness," she mumbled into his chest, holding him tighter.

Harry put his arms around her and gently held her. "Where have you been? Neville told me you went off with Mclaggen," he asked her, taking in her disheveled dress and hair. "What happened to you?"

Hermione looked up at him. "Yes, I've just escaped," she paused, slapping herself on the forehead. "I've just left him."

Harry slowly became aware of her body still pressed tightly to his, so he pulled her back slightly in order to look down at her from an arms length.

"What do you mean you've just escaped?" His anger was seeping through every word.

Hermione looked down to hide her blush from Harry. "Under the mistletoe," she muttered. "But Harry-"

"What! Why would you ever willingly go under mistletoe with McLaggen, especially when he's been making advances toward you ever since the tryouts?" Harry cried out angrily, feeling confused.

"Harry, calm down; I wasn't finished," Hermione calmly said as she put her hand on his chest. "He came up to me when Neville and I were talking just after you left; he asked if we could talk. He just started talking about Transfiguration and well, I got distracted so I didn't notice where he was leading me to. You know how I get when school work is mentioned--it's my Achilles heel."

Harry chuckled under his breath but immediately stopped as he saw Hermione scowl at him. "What?" he questioned.

Hermione only scowled at him more. "I know you well enough to know what you were giggling about just now, Potter."

"Hermione, I was just- wait a second I do not giggle!" Harry loudly proclaimed.

"Harry, you're impossible," she laughed, holding onto her side. "Anyway, I had no idea what he was planning until he stopped walking just as we reached the mistletoe."

Harry slowly took a deep breath, taking her hand in his. "Oh, okay, that makes me feel a little bit better." He paused, appearing to be deep in thought. "Why is your dress unfastened? I know it didn't look like that when I left you. Unless, Neville suddenly fancies you and decided to grope you when I left." Harry smiled brightly as if he had solved a conundrum.

"Harry!" Hermione hit him on his chest admonishingly. Harry smiled slightly but continued to look at her expectantly.

Hermione sighed. "You're a boy, Harry! They can't keep their hand to themselves especially when they happen to be kissing someone." Hermione had a far away look on her face. "He had more tentacles than a snarf Lulump plant," she exclaimed, shivering at the thought.

Harry growled under his breath. "I'm going to kill that prat. How did you manage to get away?"

"Well, after I pushed him off of me I figured he wasn't going to be put off, so I told him that I knew a better place to snog." She paused, seeing the look on Harry's face. "I then led him through the crowd that you and I got stuck in."

Harry chuckled at the thought of Cormac getting pushed around and stepped on. He was really impressed with Hermione's quick thinking, as always.

"Impressive plan, Granger, so you 'accidentally' got lost?" Harry laughed, using his fingers as air quotes.

Hermione nodded playfully. "Yes, and I would prefer if I could stay lost. Let's go over there," she said, pointing to the nearest corner. "He makes Grawp look like a perfect gentleman."

Hermione quickly ducked under the hanging that Harry held up for her.He snorted heartily making, Hermione giggle as she realized what she just said and how ridiculous it sounded. Harry ended up chuckling even more as he saw tears start streaming down Hermione's face. Soon she found herself in Harry's arms for her legs were unable to hold herself up any longer.

Harry sighed as he wiped his eyes, wrapping his arms securely around Hermione's waist. It was a comfortable silence between the two, one that could have lasted forever and still would have been enjoyed by them.

"So if not Cormac, who else did you consider?" Harry asked resting his chin softly on the top of her head.

Hermione turned around in Harry's arms and looked at him. "You really don't want to know Harry. It will only infuriate you," she said quietly looking down at her shoes.

"Hey," Harry said softly lifting her chin up until brown eyes met green eyes. "It doesn't matter anymore 'cause you're with me. I promise I won't be upset," he added after seeing the look of disbelief on her face.

"Well, I debated on it for a while and since I could only think of two people who would annoy Ron the most..." she said cooly with a shrug of her shoulders. "It was either Cormac or Zacharias Smith-"

"You considered Smith?" Harry questioned, revolted.

Hermione looked up at him, her cheeks red with embarrassment. "You promised Harry, and like you said: it doesn't matter anymore," she pleaded with him before quickly walking out from behind the curtain.

Harry stood there watching her slowly walk away before he moved...he wouldn't lose her again.

"Hermione, wait!" he called out to her, grabbing her hand and turning her around. "I'm sorry. You're right, it doesn't matter to me, and it just took me by surprise at how determined you are at making Ron jealous."

Hermione smiled up at Harry, but Harry noticed that the smile did not quite reach her eyes. Harry reached down and intertwined his fingers with hers. "It's fine Harry, really, and I don't really care about making Ron jealous anymore. He deserves what he gets and I'm just tired of waiting around for him," she said heatedly.

"Hmm…really?" Harry watched as Hermione nodded her head. "I'm sorry, Hermione. I think it will be good for you though, and it's about time that Ron learns that his actions have consequences."

Hermione giggled slightly at Harry while playfully ruffling his hair. "When did you get so smart?" she asked.

"Alas," Harry said, quickly putting his hand to his forehead dramatically. "I had no choice! You see, I have a beautiful best friend that is extremely intelligent. So, naturally, I was forced--I mean, bound--to learn a few things from her."

Hermione gasped. "Hey! I didn't force you to learn anything--wait, did you just call me beautiful?" she quietly asked.

Harry gulped, realizing that she had indeed noticed his slip up. "Of course. Am I not allowed to call my best friend beautiful?" he questioned her, knowing fully well that he wasn't.

She only looked back at him, clearly shocked at his behavior as a slight blush began forming on her cheeks. "You've never called me beautiful before though," she explained quietly, blushing even more.

Harry ran his hair through his already messy hair. "Well, I thought it was time I did since you do look absolutely amazing tonight, Hermione." Harry's fingers slowly intertwined around hers again and he lightly brushed his thumb across her hand.

Hermione smiled brightly at Harry before giving him a tight hug.

"Thanks, Harry. You're really sweet to say that," she mumbled into his chest before looking up into his eyes and soon found herself lost in the bright green orbs.

"Harry has the most beautiful eyes that I have ever seen; no wonder I always get lost in them," Hermione thought, her heart skipping a beat as Harry smiled down at her. "His smile is amazing too, no wonder he has all those girls following him around all the time." She started to unconsciously lean forward slightly...

Harry noticed this and his eyes went wide in surprise but he leaned forward as well, unable to stop himself.Hermione realized what was about to happen and her heart was beating wildly in anticipation as she looked into his eyes. His eyes were full of joy, laughter, and love.

"Wait, love? It can't possibly be love; it's impossible, Hermione yelled at herself, stopping all of her movement. Sure, he loves me but only as a best friend, nothing more. Besides he likes Ginny." She added, finally able to convince herself of her intentions toward her best friend.

Hermione shook her head, breaking the connection between them and slowly leaned away from him. Harry soon realized he was still staring at her, so he quickly averted his gaze and loudly cleared his throat.

"Um...Hermione, can I ask you something?"

Hermione only nodded, not trusting herself to speak just yet.

"Will you ever tell Ron that you interfered at the tryouts?"

Hermione gasped, clearly shocked that he thought so little of her. "You really think I would sink that low, Harry?" she questioned him, raising her eyebrows in an attempt to try to conceal her pain.

Harry quickly saw past her ruse and backtracked. "No, no, Hermione, of course not. I was just wondering...that's all."

"I have no plans of telling Ron anything," Hermione said with dignity. "I have no plans to ever talk to him again," she added quietly to herself.

Harry smiled at her as he ran his thumb again the back of her hand lovingly. "Well that's good. Not that he didn't deserve it or anything," he added. "I just don't want him to screw us over if he falls apart again for our next match."

"Quidditch!" exclaimed Hermione angrily. "Is that all you boys care about Harry?" Hermione suddenly closed her mouth looking at the smug smile on Harry's face. "Don't you dare say it, Potter."

She laughed at her own stupidity. Harry just looked at her innocently before breaking out in laughter along with her.

"Finally!" exclaimed a voice that made Hermione gasp and Harry grind his teeth together. "Excuse me, Potter. I'm just going to borrow Granger for a while," Cormac said lightly as he approached the couple quickly.

He swiftly latched onto Hermione's upper arm and quickly pulled her out of Harry's grasp.

"Hope you don't mind!" Cormac yelled over his shoulder as he began walking away with Hermione.

Well in case your wondering....I still likey me some reviews =]

Haha oh and THERE WILL NOT BE AN UPDATE NEXT WEEK because I'm going back to skewl =[