Unofficial Portkey Archive

How It Feels by papermask
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

How It Feels

papermask

Just a short story that popped into my head and refused to leave. Enjoy. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Night was crawling over the city. Hermione Granger looked out from the balcony and into the face of the star-filled sky. Sounds of laughter and light music trailed out from the flat behind her. The party going on inside was somewhat of a tradition. Every few months or so, Harry, Hermione, and Ron would host a small gathering for all of their friends from Hogwarts at their flat. When they first started having the parties, Hermione really enjoyed them. But now, she found them hard to take.

Hermione was brought out of her thoughts by the sound of footsteps. She turned around to see Luna walking away from the party. She was wearing a fluffy, white dress and her signature radish earrings. Her long, blonde hair was pinned at the back of her head, allowing it to fall freely to her waist. Hermione thought she looked lovely. However, her expression didn't match her appearance. Luna's usual smile had fallen, and her cheeks were stained with tears. When she saw Hermione, Luna stopped in her tracks.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I... I didn't think anybody was out here," she said. Hermione was surprised at the sound of her voice. It held no hope or mysticism - just sadness.

"It's quite alright," Hermione said gently. She motioned for Luna to join her. The two girls stared out at the stars in silence. After some time, Hermione turned to Luna.

"May I ask why you are upset?", she asked gently. Luna looked towards the ground and sighed.

"It's stupid, really," Luna said. Hermione stared straight ahead, pensively.

"It's about Ron, isn't it?", Hermione asked. Luna nodded.

"I don't know...I enjoy these parties so much, but it seems that every time I come, Ron is with somebody else. And it's never me. What I mean to say is that I wish that for once, just one time, he would look past my...dottiness. I wish that he would really see me for me," Luna said in a dejected tone. Hermione's features softened. She knew exactly how the poor girl felt.

"Anyway," Luna continued, "it's stupid. Like I said."

Hermione placed her hand on Luna's, causing her to look up. Hermione was staring into the flat where the party continued. Everyone seemed to be having a fun time, and many people were dancing to the soothing sound of the music. Luna followed Hermione's gaze, and her eyes landed on Harry Potter twirling a very giddy Ginny Weasley.

"It's not stupid, Luna. It's not stupid at all," Hermione whispered. Luna immediately understood and turned back to face the stars. The two stood there for the rest of the party, their hands entwined in understanding and empathy.