Unofficial Portkey Archive

Bonds of Blood and Love by spacegal
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Bonds of Blood and Love

spacegal

Chapter 7: Back to Hogwarts…

Harry sighed as he rested his back against the brick wall of the train station. He was dressed in a pair of jeans and a black hoodie before he reached up and fingered the silver stud in his right ear. He had gotten it pierced a few days ago, wanting to try something different. Then again, he could always blame it on Rina due to her love of Final Fantasy games that had all the main heroes with pierced ears.

He smirked as he remembered the one time Rina had come home to see Hermione was hanging out at their house. Hermione had been scanning the games in the bookcase before she asked Rina who the Final Fantasy games belonged to. Rina had proudly said they were hers. Hermione had promptly bombed the young woman with questions, who did she like, what game did she like the most, what couple did she favour. Rina had hesitatingly told her the answers, knowing that not everyone liked the couples she did but Hermione had been delighted to find another fan of the same couples and both of them had spent the entire day talking about the games, leaving Harry frustrated as he tried to fight a boss battle and deal with their questions.

If only Voldemort was a computer animation, it would be so easy to kill him right there and then and move on with their lives. Well, one could only hope.

Harry lifted his head when he heard someone call his name and smiled when he saw Ginny was running toward him. She had darkened her bright red hair to a darker shade, obviously following her brother in the hair colour direction. She was tanned from being in Romania from the remainder of the summer holidays. She wore a black mini skirt and a white halter top. Harry held out his arms as Ginny jumped into them.

"I missed you over the summer and so did the dragons," Ginny told him after giving a bone crushing a hug then stepped back. Harry chuckled as he looked down at her.

"You look good too. Bet all the boys will be after you this year," he teased her and Ginny laughed, flipping her hair over one shoulder.

"Nah, I've decided to take a break from dating this year. After everything with Colin and Dean, I thought it would be better not to get involved at the moment," Ginny explained with a shrug and a devilish grin. "Beside, I think my mother has enough on her plates with her three older boys and relationships." Harry chuckled as Hermione came up to them. Ginny and Hermione greeted each other with hugs before Hermione asked Ginny about her time in Romania.

Harry rolled his eyes in amusement, looking around to see if anyone else was going to turn up. Ron had already gotten on the train with Dean, Seamus and Neville. Molly and Arthur were currently talking to Hagrid. Tina and Ryan had made sure that Harry had everything before they left him; they needed to get to work.

Looking off to the side, he spotted Luna embracing someone in the corner, in the darkness. He narrowed his eyes as Luna stepped to the side slightly to reveal Draco's face looking down at her with tenderness. Understanding dawned on Harry as he watched Draco lean down and kiss her once more before he looked back at Hermione and Ginny, making sure that no one had caught them.

Harry waited until Luna and Draco had separated and both of them got on the train before he suggested to the girls that they should get on so they could find a compartment. They agreed and followed him on the train where he found Luna talking with Neville as they looked for a compartment.

"Hey guys," Harry got their attention and they turned to face him. Neville and Luna smiled when they saw Harry.

"Hey Harry, have a good summer?" Neville asked and Harry grinned.

"It was alright. How was yours?" he asked and Neville blushed slightly as he scratched the back of his head.

"Grandma spent the entire summer telling her friends that I helped you to fight off Death Eaters in the Ministry," he admitted and Harry nodded. Neville brought up his wand and Harry noticed that it was different from the wand that Neville used to use. "She even let me go to Ollivander's to get a new wand. This one works better for me." Harry remembered that Neville used to use his Father's wand.

"That's great new Neville," Hermione said as they walked along the corridor, peering in every now and then to look for an empty compartment.

"How about your summer?" he asked. Harry, Hermione and Ginny shared a look before they looked at Neville.

"Uneventful," all three of the spoke up together, getting an amused look from Neville and a dreamy smile from Luna as they reached an empty compartment. Hermione, Ginny and Neville went in first. Luna was about to go in after them when she was stopped.

"Luna," he touched Luna's arm and she turned to face him. "I want you to arrange a meeting between me and Draco to call a truce." Luna's eyes widen in shock before rounding in relief as she reached up and kissed Harry's cheek and headed into the compartment. Harry followed her in to see Luna was now sitting at the far end of the compartment on the right with Neville in the middle and Ginny sitting close to the door. Hermione sat near the window on the left side with a book in her hands. Harry smiled fondly when he saw this.

Hermione, sensing someone was looking at her, turned her head and saw Harry standing there. She smiled and patted the seat next to her. Harry moved in and sat down next to her. Crookshanks climbed out from under the seat, up onto the seat and into Harry's lap, where he prodded at Harry's hand with his cold nose.

Harry just started petting Crookshanks, used to the ritual as the cat always went to him whenever he wanted to be petted and Hermione wasn't around to do the petting.

"How was your summer, Luna?" Neville asked, looking at the dreamy blonde and got a smile in return.

"My father and I spent most of it out of the country, mostly because he's worried about Voldemort so we went travelling looking for death fairies," Luna explained, getting confused looks about the fairies. "Death Fairies are fairies who grant death to those are deemed worthy. If you are not deemed worthy, you will be forced to live out your life until you have been deemed worthy," she explained, her hand playing with the necklace. "When we came back, I made a new friend and my father went back to his work." Harry smirked, having a feeling just who her new friend was while the others just nodded, bewildered as ever when it came to Luna.

"How was your summer, Ginny?" Neville turned to face the red head girl, who shrugged.

"I spent most of it in Romania with my brother, Charlie. I'm thinking of becoming a Dragon trainer after I'm graduate Hogwarts," Ginny told them and Neville nodded.

"I would have thought you would have gone into Quidditch," Neville commented and Ginny nodded.

"I like playing Quidditch and I might want to do it as a career but right now, I'm exploring my options so I can find something I want to do," Ginny told him.

"I'm heading into becoming a Dragon Handler," Harry spoke up, startling them.

"Really?" asked Hermione and Harry nodded. "I thought you wanted to be an Auror." Harry shrugged.

"I did at the time but seeing how they were late when we were in the Ministry and how the Ministry is acting, I'm not so sure I want to associate myself with the Ministry. Beside, I'm in the middle of fighting Voldemort and his death eaters, I'm not sure if I want to continue that after the war." Hermione nodded, understanding what Harry was getting at. "How about you two?" he asked, looking at Neville and Luna.

"I'm was thinking about becoming a botanist because I'm really good at Herbology but I might go into medical side of it, to see if there is anything I can do to make certain potions better," Neville told them before looking down at his hands, "but I'm not really good with potions so…"

"I'll help you," Hermione promised. "Beside, didn't you tell me that you passed your potions exams?" Neville nodded.

"Yeah, but that's only because Snape wasn't breathing down my neck," Neville pointed out, getting nods of agreement.

"Hmm, I don't know what I want to do just yet. There are many different paths for me so I'll need to wait and see which one are the best for me," Luna spoke up in her usual dreamy way. Harry narrowed his eyes at the young girl, he could sense there was something different about her but he couldn't put his finger on it.

"Does anyone know who the new Defence against the Dark Art teacher is?" Hermione asked, changing the conversation. Neville nodded.

"Umbridge," he told her. Her grip on her book grew lax causing her book slipped onto her lap as she stared at Neville. Ginny was staring at Neville, stunned while Harry just arched an eyebrow.

"What?!" shouted Hermione, startling everyone. "She should have been fired from her job! I thought she had been run out of Hogwarts!" Neville nodded.

"She had been but Fudge ordered her back because Voldemort has revealed himself to be alive. Fudge wants to make sure Dumbledore doesn't get the wrong idea of training students to fight Voldemort when the Aurors can take over," Neville explained. Ginny snorted.

"Where were the Aurors when we were surrounded by Death Eaters in the Ministry?" Ginny reminded. "Beside, it's his own fault! All he had to do was believe Harry when Harry told him that Voldemort is back. He was the one who stayed in denial therefore he should have been kicked from the Ministry."

"Oh, that reminds me," Harry spoke up as he looked at Hermione. "I don't think you should try and get a job at the ministry."

"Why?" Hermione asked, startled about the turn-around.

"Rina used to work at the ministry but quit when Fudge offered her a promotion providing she did him sexual favours," Harry explained. Hermione, Ginny and Neville's jaw dropped while Luna just shook her head.

"He what?!" gasped Hermione and Harry nodded.

"When he gets fired, who to say that the next person won't just take what they want from the person?" Harry pointed out and shook his head. "You're not working for the ministry unless I have done a complete background check on everybody." Ginny nodded in agreement.

"I don't even want to think about working for the ministry," she muttered, still stunned over what her father's boss had tried to do to Charlie's girlfriend. She and Rina had gotten close over the summer that Ginny had become to see Rina as her idol and as an older sister that she had always wanted but never got.

Seeing Charlie and Rina together was the reason why Ginny had decided to take a break from dating guys. Rina had studied hard, rarely dating and she found herself picking a good guy for a relationship that started off as friendship and it made Ginny realise that she was going about the wrong way of trying to find a boyfriend. Instead of finding love, just wait until you are ready to receive love. "How was the rest of your summer?" Ginny asked remembering that Harry and Hermione were now living closer to each other since Harry had been adopted by Rina's parents.

"Brilliant!" Hermione spoke up while Neville and Luna shared a confused look before looking at Harry.

"I recently found out some news things this summer that led me to living with new parents. They are Hermione's parents' best friends and they live close to each other so Hermione and I got to see each other during the summer without any restrictions," Harry explained and Neville smiled while Luna nodded.

"So…where is Ron?" Neville asked, looking about for the red-head that always hung about with Harry and Hermione, who looked at each other before looking at Neville before Harry took a deep breath to tell Neville just what was going on.

Cho Chang sighed to herself as she looked out of the compartment window at the scenery. Roger Davis wasn't talking to her because she had broken up with him over the summer, infuriating the young man who claimed that he was just a rebound from Harry Potter and cut off all contacts with her. She had spent most of the summer wondering about Harry. She had really liked him and she knew that he liked her but Hermione had gotten in their way.

Cho knew that it wasn't just Hermione, her friend spilling the beans to Umbridge had been a part of it but Hermione had been an obstacle since they had started dating.

"What are you thinking about?" a voice broke in Cho's thoughts and she turned to see her friends were looking at her when the brunette smirked, nudging the blonde in the side.

"Betcha she's thinking about Harry Potter," she told her and the other girl laughed while Cho rolled her eyes, an amused smile playing on her lips.

"Did you see him when he came on the train? He's got his ear pierced and his hair is messy," the blonde fanned herself, "I wouldn't mind trying him out in the sack." Cho glared at her friend, who huffed. "Are you planning on asking him out again? Especially he dumped you for his friend?"

"He didn't dump me!" Cho snapped. "We both thought it would be better if we took a break considering the Umbridge problems." The brunette nodded.

"And you dated Davis just before school broke out for the summer and Harry took his best friend's side," she pointed out before shrugging. "But if you are really sure that Harry will go out with you again, go and find him then and see."

"You know what, I will," Cho stood up and strode out of the compartment leaving her friends behind. Cho looked between the different compartment looking for Harry or his friends to let her know where he was when she spotted Ron sitting on one side of the compartment with a smile on his face and knew that Harry would be in the same compartment.

Cho straightened her clothes, making sure that she was looking suitable before she stepped forward and opened the door, startling the occupants. All three boys looked toward her, confusing her when she saw that Harry wasn't part of the group.

"Oh, sorry," Cho flushed, "I was looking for Harry."

"He's over the next compartment," Ron pointed with a thumb over his shoulder as an idea came to him. "I'm sure he'll be glad to see you." Cho shot him a shy smile as she moved away from the door and down the hallway. Ron just leaned back in his chair while Dean and Seamus looked at him before looking at each other with an unreadable look. They just hoped that they weren't going to be stuck in the middle of a war between Ron and his imaginary rival.

Cho finally found Harry only to frown when he was talking to Hermione and she was laughing. Even Ginny and Neville were laughing while Luna had an amused smile on her face. A pang of jealous floated through her when she saw Harry reach out and touch Hermione's hand and wondered once more just what the relationship between Harry and Hermione was. They weren't dating, despite what Rita Skeeter tried to tell everyone yet…they were close, more than siblings.

Shaking her head, Cho reached out a hand and curled it around the handle, pulling back the door, alerting the people inside the compartment. Everyone but Harry looked as Harry was still saying something to Hermione.

"Harry," Harry turned to see Cho Chang standing in the doorway. She smiled when she met his eyes and Harry nodded.

"What's up?" he asked. Cho's eyes flickered over his shoulder before meeting his once more.

"Could we talk in private?" she asked. Harry hesitated for a moment before nodding. He got up and followed her out of the compartment, down the hallway and into an empty compartment. He allowed her to enter first before following and closing the door behind him. He turned to see Cho was wringing her hands, looking nervous.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" Harry asked, leaning against the door as he waited for his ex-girlfriend, if she could be considered as that as they only dated once and kissed once, to talk.

"I wanted to apologise for my behaviour last year," Cho spoke up. "I'm sorry about how I reacted to you and Hermione and I'm sorry that my friend betrayed you by telling Umbridge about the DA." Harry nodded, instinctively knowing that she wasn't finished. "But I was wondering…could we try our relationship again?" Harry arched an eyebrow. Out of everything that he had expected to come out of her mouth, that was the last thing and it made him wonder if she understood the implications of being in a relationship with him. "I really like you Harry, and I was wrong to ask you about Cedric last year during our date but I promise that I will be more focused on us than the past."

"No," Harry told her, softly but honestly. Cho's eyes widen and Harry sighed. "I used to like you but you went out with me on the rebound. You just wanted to know about Cedric." He lifted a hand when she opened her mouth, indicating he wasn't finished. She nodded and closed it. "Things only got worse and I found out some things over the summer Cho. I really liked you but I don't anymore. Beside, even if we were to date, you would still have a problem with Hermione and she is my best friend. I think it's clear who I will choose." Cho stared at him, before she nodded.

"I understand," she whispered and Harry nodded.

"Look, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. It's the last thing I wanted to do but…I'm not the person for you. Somebody else is." He shot her a soft smile before he left the compartment, leaving her alone to her thoughts.

Harry made his way into the compartment; Hermione was reading her book while Ginny, Luna and Neville were all discussing what they were planning on doing during the school year. Hermione looked up when she sensed Harry in the doorway and arched an eyebrow. Harry shook his head, silently telling her that he would fill her in later as he sat down next to her once more.

Crookshanks took his place on Harry's lap once more, purring as Harry ran his fingers through the thick fur. Hermione shot Harry an amused smile before she turned back to her book while Ginny, Neville and Luna returned to what they were doing in the first place while Harry rested the back of his head against the cushion and closed his eyes, allowing the rocking of the train and silence to lull him into a light sleep.

Soon they arrived at Hogwarts. Hermione had woken Harry up in time to let him get changed before they arrived at the station. All five of them shared a carriage together, bumping into Hagrid who greeted them with a wave before leading the first years over to the boats that would take them to Hogwarts. Harry still didn't get why they made the first years travel by boat at the beginning of term and ride the carriage back at the end of term.

Everyone made their way into the Great Hall, sitting in their usual place while the teachers filled the head table. Harry noticed that Madam Hooch was no longer sitting at the head table and wondered what happened to her. He noticed that Umbridge was sitting in her usual place of the Defence against the Dark Arts seat.

Hushed murmurs started up when they saw their old defence teacher sitting at the head table when Dumbledore stood up, sending everyone into silence as they looked toward him, curious to what he was going to say.

Harry was sitting next to Hermione while Neville was sitting across from them. Ron was sitting a few seats down from them with Dean and Seamus in the middle.

"First, welcome back to Hogwarts. I am glad to see that many of you have return despite the darkness that threatens to over take us all," Dumbledore greeted with a grandfatherly smile as he looked at his students. "Second, my news is grave. Our beloved teacher, Madam Hooch, had been killed over the summer. She had suffered a heart attack and unfortunately our hospital was unable to save her in time so our new Quidditch coach and teacher will be Oliver Wood, who had agreed to return this year to take over her position." Oliver Wood came out from the doors behind the Great Hall and stood behind the empty chair.

His old Quidditch team stood up and cheered pleased to see him back. Oliver just smiled as he gave them a wave before sitting down. The gang sat down while the girls murmured to each other over how hot their new teacher was. Even Ginny was currently eyeing the older man before one of her friends nudged her in the side, bringing her back to reality as Dumbledore continued speaking.

"Of course, our Defence against the Dark arts teacher is Professor Umbridge. She had agreed to come back again this year despite last year unfortunate events," Dumbledore told everyone. Umbridge stood up stiffly only to flush out of embarrassment and anger as no-one clapped for her return. Scowling, she sat down with a huff as Dumbledore looked toward the students once more. "Now, we will bring in the first year students to be sorted."

The doors opened to reveal Professor McGonagall standing there with a group of kids behind her looking nervous. Professor McGonagall led the way over to the small stool where the Sorting Hat sat. Upon nearing the stool, the sorting hat shifted before a mouth was form and it began its yearly song.

As a new year begins

A new era begins

The darkness has now started

Will end in light

However

As friends are made enemies

And enemies are made friends

You must realise

While the light will win

They will walk the darkness

The truth you seek

Will be revealed in time

However do not let the lies

Cloud your eyes

So hope I put you in the right house

Before it is too late

To rejoice for a new beginning

Harry and Hermione shared a look before they looked at Dumbledore who was peering at the hat with a curious look before he looked at them then looked at Professor McGonagall and gave her a nod. Professor McGonagall turned to the students and pulled out a roll of parchment, unrolling it before she called out each person's name to be sorted.

Once they had been sorted, Dumbledore stood up once more as Professor McGonagall handed the hat and stool over to Filch, who left the Great Hall with them, and made her way over to her seat at the Head Table.

"Welcome students to a brand new year of Hogwarts. First, I must refresh your minds of the rules. The forbidden forest is still forbidden as well as any products that belong to the Weasley's brothers. For more information, the list is available in Mr. Filch room for anyone who wishes to follow the rules." There were some snickers from the older students while the younger students were confused. "Now," Dumbledore spread his arms out with a grand-fatherly smile, "We feast!" he clapped his hands and to the first year students' amazement, the food appeared on the table.

Everyone reached in and started filling their plates while Dean looked over at Harry and Hermione and gave them a nod.

"Hey, glad to see you back this year," Dean told Harry. "Are you playing Quidditch this year?" Harry shrugged, obviously hadn't thought about his ban from Quidditch over the summer.

"I don't know. Since Umbridge was the one who ban me, she could possibly still hold that against me," Harry explained and Seamus frowned.

"Actually, Umbridge didn't have the right to ban you at all last year," Seamus spoke up. "I talked to some of my ma's lawyer friends who are magical. They said that as Umbridge isn't on the Quidditch board, she doesn't have the power to say who is banned from playing Quidditch for life. I'm sure Professor McGonagall will have contacted the Quidditch board to make sure that the correct procedure was used and reinstate you back on the Quidditch team." Hermione arched an eyebrow impressed.

"Are you planning on becoming a lawyer?" she asked and Seamus flushed, shrugging at the same time.

"I'm not so sure what I want to do just yet," he admitted and got nods of understandings. Harry had wanted to be an Auror the year before but found himself changing his mind over the summer. That reminded him, he needed to talk to Professor McGonagall to make sure he was going to take the correct classes he needed to become a Dragon Handler.

"Anyway, how was your summer?" Hermione changed the conversation and Seamus rolled his eyes.

"My ma was torn between taking our family out of the country and letting me come back to Hogwarts when the Ministry admitted that You-Know-Who was back. I managed to convince her that I still needed my education and I couldn't really let a mad-man stand in my way," Seamus admitted, getting amused chuckles while Dean shook his head.

"I never told my parents about You-Know-Who. I thought it would be best to keep it a secret for the time begin considering he hasn't done anything to start a war," Dean admitted and Hermione nodded.

"I know how you feel. I tried to keep my parents in the dark but I had to tell them everything. My dad didn't want me to come back but he met Harry over the summer and we managed to convince him that Hogwarts is probably the best place for me to be," Hermione told him and Ginny snorted.

"Sorry, but Harry isn't really safe here," Ginny pointed out and Harry nodded in agreement.

"It's safe for most of the other students, just not me. Apparently I'm very popular with Voldemort. I think he wants to recruit me for his Quidditch team," Harry joked, causing startled laugher was Neville sprayed his drink over his food. Hermione reached out and slapped Harry on the arm for the joke but Harry could see the smile curving the corners of her lips. Ginny just laughed outright, pleased to see the carefree side of Harry.

While the joking continued among the students' tables, there were many eyes on Harry. Dumbledore was plotting to try and get Harry to open up to him, to reveal what he had learned over the summer. Umbridge was planning on getting her revenge for the horrible trick the Granger girl had played on her before the summer and getting Harry in trouble was just a bonus for her. Oliver was watching Harry, pleased to see Harry laughing and joking with his classmate. He had kept up with the news and had believed Harry straight away when Harry told everyone that Voldemort was back. He was just glad to be back at Hogwarts. McGonagall was watching Harry, planning on talking to him as soon as possible. There were a lot of things they needed to sort out.

Soon dinner was over and the students began to file out of the Great Hall and toward their common rooms where they would retire for the night. The first years were being lead by the sixth year prefects. Harry was helping Hermione herd the first years when Hermione spotted something out of the corner of her eye.

Turning her head, Hermione narrowed her eyes as she watched Luna reach out and touch Draco the arm. Draco looked down at Luna with an unreadable expression as she said something to him before he gave her a short nod and pulled away from her. Luna watched as Draco walked away before she turned in the other direction, following her classmates to her Common Room.

Hermione frowned, confused by the exchange before shaking her head. Walking on, she caught up with Harry before remembering that Draco hadn't bothered them on the train. With that in mind, she wondered just what other changes will occur during the year.

Upon reaching the common room, the girls and boys disappeared up to their dormitory while Harry and Hermione sat down on their usual couch. Hermione picked up her books from the couch where she had asked Dobby to place them for her.

"What did Cho want?" Hermione asked and Harry sighed.

"She wanted to know if we could try our relationship again," Harry told her and Hermione's eyebrows shot up. She placed her books on the table and shifted so Harry had her full attention.

"And?" she urged. Harry brought his head down and looked at her.

"And nothing," he told her, startling his best friend. "I told her that my feelings for her have changed and that I found out a lot of things over the summer. Beside, she had a problem with you and I can't be with someone who has a problem with you."

"Harry," Hermione reached out and placed a hand on his arm. "A lot of the girls you'll date will have a problem with me. Most girls can't handle that you are close to another girl." Harry shrugged.

"Then I'll just have to find someone who will," Harry told her. "You're my best friend, Hermione, and the one person who stuck by my side. If the girls can't cope that I won't give you up because they are insecure, then that's their problems. I shouldn't have to give up anyone for them to be happy, that isn't a relationship, that's control." Hermione tilted her head a little.

"You've thought about it a lot, haven't you?" Hermione asked and Harry chuckled.

"Rina, the girl is so nosey when it comes to me. She spent the entire summer asking me about my girlfriends and such. When I told her about Cho and what broke us up in the end, she pointed out that Cho was obviously in a fragile state over losing her boyfriend the year before and seeing another boyfriend who seemed to put his best friend first over her was probably the tip of the iceberg. She warned me that I shouldn't have to give up anyone for someone else because a friendship is the important thing unless of course you started being demanding and trying to interfere in my relationship, I should rethink about the friendship."

Hermione nodded, understanding.

"Rina's right," Hermione told him, startling Harry. "Viktor Krum was the same when I was semi-dating him. He wanted to know everything about me but whenever I tried to talk about you, he got annoyed and angry with me. That was the reason why I broke the relationship off and why we decided to stay as friend. He just didn't understand why I put my friendship first. I had a long talk with him, especially after the last task and told him that I needed to focus on you rather than a relationship."

"How did he take it?" Harry asked remembering Viktor corning him to ask him what his relationship with Hermione was.

"At first he had been upset before understanding. We parted with the promise to keep our friendship by writing to each other but because of everything that had happened, he had suggested that we put off writing until everything had settled down a bit." Harry was about to say something when Dobby appeared in front of them.

"Dobby?" greeted Harry and Dobby bowed his head before looking at Harry.

"Dobby is sorry to interrupt but a Miss Luna would like to see you," Dobby told him and Harry nodded.

"Thanks Dobby, I hope you had a nice summer," he told him and Dobby blushed.

"Dobby had a nice summer, thank you Master Harry," Dobby told him before he disappeared with a crack. Harry stood up, stretching his arms before he looked down at his curious best friend.

"Will you still be here when I get back?" he asked and got a smile in return.

"Have I ever left you?" she asked and got chuckles of amusement as Harry left the common room.

Harry made his way through the hallways, reaching the classroom he had asked Luna to arrange the meeting between him and Draco in. Entering the classroom, he closed the door behind him and turned around to see Draco was pacing the middle of the room. Draco turned to see Harry entering the room and arched an eyebrow, curious to why his rival would want to speak to him.

"So, why did you want to see me?" Draco asked as he leaned against the wall, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Because of something I found out during the summer," Harry told him. Draco tilted his head slightly. "Someone told me that there were people who were pretending to be my friends when they were enemies and people who I thought were enemies were actually my friends."

"And you think I'm one?" Draco asked. Harry shrugged as he walked closer.

"Because you were mentioned in Sirius' will and Sirius wouldn't do that unless there was something he knew that the rest of us didn't," Harry told him.

"I heard the man wasn't exactly sane when he left Azkaban, maybe you shouldn't be placing your faith in a man like him," Draco pointed out and Harry glared at him.

"Tell me, are you on Voldemort's side or are you pretending to keep your father happy?" Harry asked. Draco just stared at him before he sighed.

"Like hell I'm on that two-faced liar side," Draco muttered. "You really think I wouldn't find out that he was actually a half-blood pretending to be a full blood just because his father had abandoned him and his mother when he found out that she was pregnant?" Harry smirked.

"Yeah, just you wait until you've heard what I found out about Tom Riddle before he became Voldemort. Looks like a lot of people had a helping hand in turning him out to be the person we know of today," Harry told him.

"Does this mean we have a truce? I can't insult you or the bookworm or the weasel again?" Draco asked and Harry shrugged.

"You can say whatever you want about me and Ron but keep Hermione out of it. I won't hear anyone saying a bad thing about her. She stood by me when everyone else turned against me. That is the type of friendship you can't judge on," Harry warned him. Draco smirked.

"Looks like Luna were right," Draco murmured mostly to himself before he held out his hand. Harry took Draco's hand and they both shook on it. "So, what do we do with the newfound friendship? Have a sleepover?" Harry rolled his eyes.

"Only if you have a problem sleeping by yourself, Malfoy," Harry retorted and got a smirk as a result. "I need you to be my eyes and ears among Slytherin. I know that some of them have paired up with Voldemort and I also know that some members of the other houses have done the same thing but I need names and I need to know the reason why they joined." Draco arched an eyebrow.

"Well, you're seemed to be going on a different track from Dumbledore," Draco told him and Harry nodded.

"Dumbledore likes to believe they can be saved from the dark side but you and I both know that there is only one way to stop them and that is to kill them. Your father likes to pretend that he was under the imperious when we both know that he joined of his own free will," Harry pointed out. "If we truly want to be rid of Voldemort and to stop the corruption that allowed Tom Riddle to rise as Voldemort in the first place, we need to strike at the heart and cut off the head while burning it to prevent a new head from breaking free." Draco whistled.

"Count me in Potter. The world is already going to the dogs with the way the Ministry is stuffing everything up. If you can salvage a part of this world, then it'll be worth it in the end."

"Good. Use Luna as a messenger as the school knows she is friends with us so they won't be suspicious about her speaking with me and keep insulting me in public. It wouldn't do much for your popularity if you were to start acting nice toward me." Harry smirked while Draco rolled his eyes.

"But keep my mouth shut regarding any insults about the bookworm, right?" Draco guessed the hidden threat perfectly and Harry nodded. "Fine, I guess I can keep my tongue civil around her but what about her getting suspicious, she's a smart cookie."

"I know which is why I will be explaining everything to her when I get the chance. I need more information before I go any further with it, especially regarding Tom Riddle. I don't believe that he became Voldemort all by himself," Harry told him. There was a knock at the door and Harry looked over his shoulder before looking at Draco. "That's Luna, I told her to come by after 15 minutes so we are not caught. We'll talk later." Draco nodded before slipping out of the room.
Harry waited five more minutes before he slipped out of the classroom, looking around to make sure that he was alone and hurried down the hallway as fast as he could until he was far enough away from the classroom to resume walking normally. While he was walking, he thought about everything he had learned over the summer and about what had pushed Tom Riddle over the edge. There had to be more regarding the rivalry between Slytherin and Gryffindor. Harry wasn't a history fan but he had done his research and found that Slytherin and Gryffindor had been best friends so obviously down the line, the history had become muddled.

"Ah, Mr. Potter! There you are," Professor McGonagall's voice cut into Harry's thoughts. He turned around to see his teacher walking over to him.

"Professor McGonagall, you were looking for me?" he asked and she nodded.

"Follow me please," she told him, turning around and leading him through the hallways until they reached her office. She opened the door and allowed Harry to go in first before she entered after him, closing the door behind her.

Harry sat down on the chair while McGonagall rounded her desk to sit down on her chair. "I have thought about this long and hard and after talking it over with some of the teachers, we have decided that you would make a better sixth year prefect." She handed Harry the badge that Ron had the year before. Harry stared at the badge in confusion before he looked at his teacher.

"Why?" he asked and McGonagall sighed.

"Because you were meant to have it last year," she told him. "Professor Dumbledore insisted that you weren't to have it because you had too much problems on your shoulder so I went against my gut instincts. Seeing you last year told me that I should have gone with my gut instincts rather than giving Mr. Weasley the badge, he had done a very pathetic job of it last year and his grades reinforced it in me that he was a poor choice to have given the badge too." Harry stared at his teacher with wide eyes. Never in his life had he heard his teacher speak so badly of Ron before and it made him wonder just how far Ron was digging a hole for himself. McGonagall sighed as she took in his impression. "We have been keeping an eye on Ron's grades and ability in classes and he doesn't apply himself when it comes to his school work or his class work. Everyone else knows if they have a problem, they can come and talk to us teachers but Mr. Weasley doesn't bother, leaving things to the last minute."

Harry nodded, understanding where his teacher was going. Even Hermione had complained on more than one occasion that Ron had left the perfecting job up to her and Ron had preferred to copy other people's homework rather than do the research himself.

"Is that all?" Harry asked as he looked at his teacher and she shook her head.

"No, there's one more thing. Oliver Wood and I had a talk. I had the same talk with Madam Hooch before her death and both of them said the same thing and I agree with them. We would like you to be the Quidditch Captain for Gryffindor." Harry stared at his teacher.

"Are you sure? I mean, with Voldemort and being a prefect…" he trailed off as his teacher sighed.

"You know better than anyone that you need to have fun in your life. Voldemort isn't going anywhere and there will always be a war and death as far as he's concern but I don't see why you should put your life on hold just because a mad-man wants you dead," McGonagall explained. "You are the perfect example of living your life. Even with Voldemort out there, you never let it get to you. You still do your homework, you try and make sure you have fun and you warned everyone ahead of time that Voldemort was back but they were the ones who chose not to listen." Harry nodded.

"Thank you," he told her and McGonagall nodded.

"You are dismissed, unless there is something you need to speak to me about." Harry shook his head before something came back to him.

"Oh, I just wanted to let you know that I changed my mind about my career," Harry told her and she arched an eyebrow, interested. "I've decided I want to become a dragon handler. Being with Charlie in Romania and being around the dragons, it was amazing."

"I see," she told him, understanding what Harry wasn't telling her. "From what I know, you need Potions so you can mix up the correct potions to help dragons whenever they are wounded or ill and Care of Magical Creatures, both of which you have passed your exams in and you have already picked them for your course this year. Would you like to keep your other classes?" Harry thought it over, along with Potions and Care of Magical Creatures, he had taken up Defense against the Dark Arts, something that will prove useful in the final battle against Voldemort, transfiguration, Charms, Herbology and History of Magic. He had dropped Divination, unable to keep it up any longer and he wanted to drop History of Magic but Charlie had explained that knowing the laws regarding the Dragons would be useful in the future. He just wished that Dumbledore would let the poor ghost go into retirement and bring someone else in.

"Yes, my other classes are fine except for History of Magic. Charlie tells me that it is important regarding the laws but Professor Binns…" Harry trailed off as McGonagall nodded.

"Yes, I have received many complaints that Professor Binns has a habit of putting his students to sleep however, Dumbledore is firm on not letting him go so I suggest you find some way to try and keep yourself awake during his class," she told him and Harry sighed, nodding as he stood up. "Take this slip," she handed him a piece of parchment. "If Filch asks you why you were out, hand him this. This will keep you out of any trouble you don't need." Harry nodded as he moved over the door when McGonagall stopped him. Looking over his shoulder, he met her grave face. "I know that you and Umbridge have bad blood between you but please, try and not react to her words. I do not want her to make your year worse than last year." Harry nodded before he left her office, leaving McGonagall to slump into her seat, wishing that she could find something harder to drink.

Harry sighed as he made his way into the common room. He had managed to get back without any trouble and Filch was obviously busy somewhere else as he hadn't bumped into the sour old man. He saw Hermione curled up on the couch, reading her book and smiled. This was a sight that could always calm him down and bring him back to his senses.

Hermione lifted her head when she heard the portrait door close and smiled when she spotted her best friend standing there.

"Hey, where did you go?" she asked, patting the empty space next to her. Harry moved over and sat down next to Hermione, kicking off his shoes as he went and placed his sock clad feet on the table.

"Luna wanted to speak to me then McGonagall wanted to talk to me," Harry told her as he placed his head on the backrest and turned to look at her.

"Hm, what for?" she asked, curious.

"Luna found out something and wanted to tell me a few things. McGonagall wanted to talk to me and give me my badges," Harry told her. Hermione frowned.

"Badges?" she asked and Harry smirked as he nodded.

"I'm now the Gryffindor prefect and Quidditch Captain," he told her. Hermione's eyes widen in pure delight.

"Are you serious?" she asked. Harry reached into his pockets and pulled out the badges. Seeing the badges in Harry's hand proved that he was serious. Hermione let out a squeal of delight and launched herself at her best friend, enveloping him a bone crushing hug. Harry laughed as he hugged her back before she pulled away and took the badges from him before frowning. "What happened to Ron?" she asked and Harry shook his head.

"McGonagall said that Ron's lack of grades and how he neglected his prefect duties was the reasons why they revoked his badge." Hermione nodded, understanding. "I also talked to her to tell her about my career change, I'm still keeping the same classes but I have dropped Divination. I wanted to drop History of Magic because Professor Binns is such a bore but Charlie thinks it's a good lesson to take in order to learn about the laws." Hermione nodded.

"He's right but I can see why you wanted to drop it," she told him.

"Please tell me your secret to staying awake in his class," Harry begged and Hermione grinned.

"Coffee and lots of it," she admitted with a shrug as Harry gaped at her. "I always make sure I have strong coffee before I go to the class, it keeps me awake and we always have Defense against the Dark Arts after History of Magic which allows me to burn off the energy."

"That is amazing and so…sneaky," he was torn between being in awe over his best friend's sneakiness and being hurt that she never disclosed her secret to him. It would have saved his bacon so many times when it came to exams. Hermione shrugged.

"You never ask therefore I don't tell," she reminded him and got a nod.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, the old 'don't ask, don't tell' rules," he muttered sarcastically. Hermione giggled as she rolled her eyes.

"What about Divination?" Hermione asked and Harry shook his head.

"Gave up with it," he admitted. "Even though the fraud had given us ideas of Voldemort's impending doom, we never really get to do anything about it in time. Beside, with my secret source, I should be able to stay at least one step ahead of her regarding Voldemort."

"What classes are you taking?" she asked.

"Herbology, Care of Magical Creatures, Defense against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Charms, History of Magic and I have a free period for more studying but I will probably use that for perfecting and quidditch." Hermione nodded. "How about you? What classes are you taking?"

"Same as you but I'm also taking Ancient Runes," she told him and Harry nodded as the clock struck to let them know how late it was and Hermione startled herself by yawning. Harry smirked.

"Come on, you need to get some sleep as tomorrow is going to be a busy day. I need some sleep myself," he told her and Hermione nodded as she closed her book and both of them stood up from the couch, heading over to the stairways that lead the way to the boys and girls' dormitory. Hermione turned to Harry.

"Night Harry, I'll see you in the morning," she reached up and pressed a kiss to his cheek before she climbed the stairs. Harry watched her leave before disappearing through the doors that lead the way to the boys' dormitory.

Harry made his way into his room that he shared with the other boys. Dean, Seamus, Neville and Ron were already in the room with Dean, Seamus and Neville talking animatedly about something while Ron was listening. They turned to see Harry entering the room with Ron looking away.

"Hey Harry," Seamus and Dean greeted and Harry gave them a short nod back. "Do you know who the prefect and the Quidditch captain are? Ron said he gave the badge back in hope of getting the Quidditch captain but he hadn't heard anything," Dean said.

"I have them," Harry told them, startling them into silence. Ron stared at Harry with an unreadable expression while the other three boys cheered, congratulating Harry.

"Yeah, we are so going to win the cup this year," Dean and Seamus exchanged high fives.

"Why would McGonagall give you both badges?" Ron asked his voice quiet and Harry shrugged.

"She said that you turned down the badge so she gave it to me. For the Quidditch badge, she had spoken to Madam Hooch and Oliver Wood to find out their suggestions and apparently they picked me to be the captain," Harry explained, sitting on his bed. "I don't have to do a lot of perfecting because of being the Quidditch captain though. I just have to make sure I take points off anyone who are causing trouble when I see them and make my rounds with Hermione. Hermione will be doing more as she has everything all sorted out for the other prefects."

"Bet Hermione was delighted," Dean nudged Seamus in the side and Harry grinned.

"Yeah, she was. Gave me her usual bone-crushing hug," Harry told them and got laughers in return. Ron just closed his drapes, cutting them out. All three of them looked toward the bed before they looked at each other, sighing.

"We should get to bed, we have to get up early tomorrow," Neville suggested and got nods of agreement. All four boys made their way into the bathroom to wash up and brush their teeth before answering the call of nature then headed back into their rooms to get changed into P.J.

Once the other boys were settled in their beds and were sleeping, Harry climbed out of his bed and picked up his bag, heading over to the door as he opened it. Flamara poked her head out from the bag, looking up at her master. Harry pulled her out of his bag, dropping the bag onto the ground as he reached the door.

Harry opened his door and allowed Flamara to sneak out before he knelt down to her level.

"You know the rules, stay in the shadows and no flaming someone because they thought or said something you didn't like," he warned her. Flamara just rolled her eyes in amusement before she slinked off into the darkness. Harry watched her go before he closed the door and climbed into his bed.

The cool sheets and pillows lulled Harry into a peaceful sleep for once, hoping that the rest of the year will not end badly like it did the last year.

TBC

Just to let you know - I'm taking a hiatus from Harry Potter forum at the moment. I apologise to everyone for this. I am taking this break because I have found that my interest in Harry Potter has dwindled for the last few months. I just haven't felt the need to write stories/chapters regarding Harry Potter. I am hoping by taking a hiatus from the forum, I will get back into writing for Harry Potter but right now, don't hold you breath. Again, I apologise but at least I didn't leave it on a cliff-hanger!eHe Hekk