Unofficial Portkey Archive

Balancing Debts by xelan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Balancing Debts

xelan

Special thanks to NuitTombee and Ralph S. and the good folks on the Seel'vor's House of Fanfiction group.

A/N Succinct version: Hated Jo's ending, my Hermione's middle name is Jane, dislike several Weasleys, and Harry and Hermione are fated in my opinion.

A/N: Wanted to get something in the Spirit of Harmony out for the Deathly Hallows film's recent release. I originally had nothing ready, but I put this together one Sunday. The story is set in a modified version of Book 7 and the action takes place in chapter 2 of my story, and covers what happens between the time that Ron was rendered unconscious and when he wakes up in the forest. I don't remember all the details from the book and don't want to look for a copy so I may have some Canon inaccuracies - such is life. Politely point out any other mistakes, please.

-----------

In a king sized bed in a hotel in London, two newly married teens were luxuriating in each other's company. Both were lying on their backs, completely nude and lightly covered with white linen sheets. His fingers were laced through hers and both were sweaty, and hot, and happy.

"Five times, Harry?"

"I was inspired. Do you disapprove?"

"No, but everything I've ever read said most first timers aren't that skilled. Did you - were you…?"

He snorted lightly. "No, Mrs. Potter. You were my first, only, and hopefully last. I'd ask you the same, but I could tell."

Despite what the two of them had done together for the better part of several hours, she still blushed at what he was implying.

"I love it when I leave you speechless; though, this is the first time I've ever done it with just words."

She smacked him gently on the shoulder. "Behave! You weren't that good."

He cocked on eyebrow at her and her stern face wavered - she looked away.

"Alright. Maybe you were that good."

He reached over her and took her other hand in his, and then he gently tugged her so that she was lying comfortably against him. Her warm breath and soft breasts felt heavenly against his skin. He felt so wonderful that he decided he had a new favorite activity over flying - several actually.

"You've got that look on your face that says, 'Flying, YAY!'"

He chuckled. "You are SO much better than flying. In fact, just thinking of that comparison does you an injustice. You, my dear wife, are an animal*."

Her body tensed and she glared at him again.

He started stroking her back and playing with her hair.

She began to relax and in a gentle voice asked, "In a good way, I hope?"

He gently pulled her directly on top of him and proceeded to hug all her cares away. "Of course."

She wrapped her arms around him and pulled him tight. "I'm not letting you die."

"I don't intend to die, you know that, Hermione."

"You're a worse liar than me, so don't deny it," she looked into his eyes. I can see you weighing whether you should lock me away to keep me safe or whether you should sacrifice yourself so I can be happy. Well, let me set you straight right now. I'm your wife, your lover and your partner. I won't let you leave me behind like some silly fan-girl." She stopped for a minute to let him digest what she had said and snuggled closer. "You've got a martyr complex and I don't blame you for that, but I'm not letting anyone take you away from me. In this world and the next* until the end of time, that's what we said at our wedding and I always keep my promises."

He grinned. "You know, I think the priest was a little surprised by the vows you wrote for the wedding."

"Actually, I think he was surprised by the fact that most magical vows don't put out that much light."

They were both silent for a time. Finally, Harry spoke. "I'm not leaving you."

"You better believe you aren't. If you tried, then I'd hunt you down and hurt you bad*."

"Want to tell me why you were so insistent on the phrasing of the vows?"

"It's a secret… but I'll tell you if you really, really want to know."

He smiled. He was at total peace. "I trust you. You gave me the option to know, but if you think I don't need to know then I'm all right with that."

She clutched him tighter.

"What's the matter, love? I can tell something's on your mind."

"I'm worried about what we learned from Ron under truth serum."

"…"

"Harry? I know you like to brood, but you can talk to me about anything. You know that, right?"

Harry didn't reply immediately, but drew out the silence as if weighing something in his mind. He began to massage her shoulders and upper and lower back. He was surprisingly skilled with his hands - very skilled with his hands.

Hermione lay there listening to his heartbeat. He would speak to her when he was ready, and if he took too long, she would find a way to gently or not so gently persuade him to talk to her. The key to a successful marriage was communication, at least that was what her Grandmother always said and evidently it worked as they had been together for ages.

Harry's contemplative expression changed to one of determination. He firmly wrapped an arm around her back and then quickly, but with surprising gentleness flipped her over so she was lying in the warm section of the sheets he had previously been occupying. He held himself suspended above her, resting on his forearms.

She could see the desire in his eyes and could feel his hot breath on her lips. "You're trying to distract me." It wasn't a question, merely a statement of fact.

"Yes, is it working?"

"Yes-No-I mean… "

"I'll take that as a 'yes'."

"Haarrry…"

"It'll be fine, love. I'm just trying to get my head around it. I thought of that arse like a brother and when I think of what he was planning with his mother and sister, I get so mad I want to… well, I honestly want to break things. But as you correctly pointed out, I can't just think about myself anymore." The side of his mouth quirked up and steady green eyes met and focused on equally steady brown. "How about we discuss it after we finish our honeymoon?"

"We still have time," and she nodded. "I made sure he wouldn't be waking up for at least three days and I've petrified and bound him in the tent so securely that even Houdini couldn't get away."

"I do so love a smart woman," he murmured. Harry started kissing her teasingly on the lips, then moved onto the sides of her jaw, the sensitive spots behind her ears and then slowly moved on to her neck in order to work his way downward. "Now, I don't want to think anymore on red-headed backstabbers for at least a day."

"Agreed, but when we do sit down and make plans, they are going to regret ever messing with the Potters."

"Absolutely," he said with a smile from between her breasts. He stopped a moment later and looked up at her. "Remind me to tell you about an idea I have for a letter we need to write later."

She smiled and nodded in acknowledgement and he eagerly returned to the task at hand.

The two teens stopped speaking after that for several hours. There was no need for words.

--------------

*Homage to Robst's "In This World and the Next" a glorious piece of fanfiction.

*Homage to Robst's "More Important things" also a very good read. I loved that line.

*Reference to the only kissing scene that matters in the DH films. Apologies to Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe.