Unofficial Portkey Archive

Good News by xelan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Good News

xelan

by Xelan (devote Harmonian)

Dislaimer: I own nothing. All recognizable characters are owned by their respective owners.

A/N: I have begun to actively dislike Ron Weasley and now wish Jo had killed off Ron in OoTP, but that's just my opinion.

Takes place Post-Hogwarts with DH never taking place. Non canon compliant. Mild to moderate Ron bashing ahead. Harmonious ending. I also take a few potshots at Jo.

I reference some of the Goblet of Fire but this is an AU and this Harry took his Hermione to the ball. I generally dislike the last two books as well as parts of OoTP and I refuse to acknowledge the existence of The Epilogue.

My command of British English is imperfect to say the least, so take everything with a grain of salt and if I stumble, please politely correct me.

Apologies right off the bat. I have nicked, yes, essentially stolen a line almost verbatim from Agent Seeley Booth (played by David Boreanaz) in the television series Bones S5E16.

A/N Succinct version: Hated Jo's ending, my Hermione's middle name is Jane, dislike several Weasleys, and Harry and Hermione are fated in my opinion.

Please review as comments and criticism help fuel the creative process.

<::::}]2 Years 9 Months 2 Days before Present[{::::>

"This has been coming a long time. You know when you talk to older couples who have been in love for thirty or forty or even fifty years? It's always the guy who says "I knew." ... I knew, right from the beginning. Hermione, I'm that guy."

"Harry, that doesn't happen in real life." She shook her head sadly. "Not to us. Not to people like you and me." She brought her hand up to cup his cheek. "Before we had even finished school we took down the most powerful dark lord in history, and now you catch dark wizards and I send them Azkaban. We're just..." and she paused for a moment as if the words she was about to speak hurt to come out of her mouth. "We're just Harry and Hermione. We're co-workers, and we're best friends, but we can't be more than that, Harry. We just can't be."

"Maybe you don't understand… it's been just Harry and Hermione since I was eleven. I don't…" His right hand clenched and unclenched. "I can't…" And Harry just trailed off. Mouth opening and closing, struggling for words he couldn't find and thoughts that were bordering on blasphemy for a man of his position.

Harry's own hand came up to rest over hers. Looking directly at her and in a tone that brooked no contradiction he spoke. "I don't remember who I was before Harry AND Hermione. I can't imagine there NOT being Harry and Hermione. Don't you see? There IS no Harry without Hermione."

He took a deep breath and squared his jaw. Hermione looked thoughtful, her teeth worrying her lower lip.

"I've decided to resign from the DMLE."

The pronouncement stopped both of them cold. Not because the news was shocking but simply because they both said it at the same time.

After a pause, they both spoke again "But, you can't!" in eerie synchronicity.

They both opened their mouths to speak, but upon seeing the other about to do the same they stopped. Their faces shone with frustration and amusement.

Harry delicately grasped Hermione's face and kissed her until her knees started to become weak.

Resting his forehead against hers, with deliberate slowness, Harry spoke, "I'm quitting because I want you to be able to follow your dream. Fraternization isn't allowed and we both know I'm a political liability. I will support you in whatever you do and in any way I can, and right now this is the only way I can do that. At the ministry you work to make the world a better place and one day, when you make the transition to Minister of Magic, I know you will change our world."

Shocked at the emotion in his eyes, the sincerity on his face, and the conviction in his voice, Hermione released the death grip she had on his shirt. Roughly grabbing his face and pulling him into a kiss, Hermione successfully pushed every thought out of his head as Harry finally surrendered all his worldly cares.

Breaking the kiss she spoke with great deliberation, "You listen to me, Harry James Potter." She took hold of his chin with her right thumb and forefinger and tilted his head down to make sure she had eye contact and his undivided attention. I am quitting the DMLE because Co-Workers aren't allowed to date and because you are the best thing that ever happened to the Auror Force. You've wanted to be an Auror ever since we were at Hogwarts and I won't jeopardize your chances for the Directorship just because some backward, close-minded, pure-blood idiots need someone to kick them in the arse."

"But Hermione..." He looked away as if unsure. Hermione gently guided his face back to her. "What about your goals, your career... your dream?"

"My dream is my dream - emphasis on the 'my' part. Dreams aren't set in stone. They change and grow and sometimes when we stop and really examine them, they're completely different from what we thought they were." She sighed and lifted both of his arms up just enough for her to make a quick about face and slip herself beneath them.

Without prompting, Harry brought his arms up to cross her chest - hands resting on her shoulders. The position was nothing new, but their newfound understanding made their embrace more special...intimate. The thought brought a smile to both their faces.

Hermione closed her eyes and leaned back to rest her head on his left shoulder.

"Can I change your mind about quitting?" And the synchronicity returned.

"ENOUGH with the twin-speak," drawled Hermione. She had a hand covering his mouth to keep him from speaking. "We get more than enough of that from Fred and George. And to answer your question, let me first ask you one. If I left the DMLE, would that stop you from leaving the DMLE as well?

Harry raised an eyebrow and slowly said, "No, with you gone, I'd have no reason to stay."

Hermione looked pleased. "Right then, there's your answer." She smiled brightly and settled back against his chest.

<::::}]Present Day[{::::>

Ron was quite certain that Grimmauld Place's front stoop had been bigger when he had last been to visit a couple of years ago. *Crack* Ow..oww... oh his neck would never be the same after falling asleep against the unyielding front door.

"Ron, what are you doing on my door stoop?" asked Neville from a nearby window.

"Your stoop? But this is Harry's house... isn't it?"

"I suppose it is, strictly speaking, but we've been renting it for nearly two years. I suppose you get a little possessive about a place when you've lived there long enough."

Neville, I need to find Harry! Actually, I actually need to find Hermione, but I think Hermione's with Harry so I need to find Harry if I want to find Hermione, but I really want to find Hermione, so if I find her first then I don't really need Harry unless Harry has a lot of food because I'm really starting to get hungry.

Neville shook his head. It was always food with Ron. Well, either food or quidditch or chess or some combination of the three. "Right then, Ron, near as I can tell, you've only just gotten back. Why the sudden need to speak with Harry and Hermione?"

Ron vigorously shook his head. "No, no. Don't need Harry if I have Hermione..."

That statement caused Neville to raise an eyebrow. Curious sentiment for a man who claimed Harry was his best mate.

Ron continued, "Once I tell Hermione the good news, all her dreams will come true! So, like I said, I really need to find her. Do you know where she is, Neville?"

With a straight face, Neville answered truthfully that he didn't know exactly where she was... though he did have a pretty good idea.

"Why don't you come in and we'll have a little chat about that 'good news' you have. I might be able to help you on your way. "

"Thanks Neville. You can always count on a Gryffndor in times of trouble."

Neville masterfully kept the smile plastered on his face. Patronizing git, I almost ended up in Hufflepuff if I hadn't asked for Gryffndor. He called into the house. " Luna, Hannah, we have company!"

"Loony? What's Loony Lovegood doing here?" The gormless wonder demanded.

A petrificus totalus was what Ron got for his trouble. Neville removed the bind on his mouth - temporarily. "I'll thank you to not insult my... my guest while you're under my roof. If you do it again, the consequences could be dire..." He smiled predatorily at Ron. "Do you understand what I'm saying to you, Ronald?"

Fervent nods followed.

"Good." Said Neville with equanimity restored. He unbarred the door and levitated Ron over the threshold. Neville took an experimental sniff. God the stink.

With a bubblehead charm in place he plaintively asked, "When was the last time you bathed, Weasley?"

The red winger-dinger, who had lost track of the days, didn't have an answer.

Neville sighed. He had been doing that a lot ever since he had noticed Ron on his door stoop. "Alright, I'm going to toss you into the tub. If you come out still smelling of week old stinksap, I'm scourgifying you."

Fear made Ron's meager memory recall reboot. "But Hermione told us that scourgify isn't supposed to be used on people..."

Neville smiled and said, "Your point?"

Ron gulped loudly and decided to try his legendary charm... pity Neville wasn't female. Even as far back as 4th year during the tournament ALL the girls were lining up to be HIS date. Sickening as it was, he turned his charm up to full power. "Are you sure you wouldn't rather play some chess?"

Neville felt a shiver of revulsion travel down his spine. He immediately re-bound the crimson arse's mouth and continued onward to the tub.

<::::}]Hogwarts 4th Year{[::::>

"Come on, Harry! You obviously can't make up your mind so we'll let fate decide. All right with you, girls?"

"YES!!" came the overwhelming response. Almost every single girl in Hogwarts was crowding the specially enlarged classroom. Even Slytherin was represented. Harry was THAT popular!

"Hold on a minute, Ginny! Don't I get a say on who I'm taking to the ball?"

She smiled lustily at him. "No, Harry, you don't." The ringleaders of the fangirl brigade pressed in even closer. A quick glance told him they were hunting for something... and the possibility dawned that he might be the prey.

Harry gulped noisily and clutched Hermione's hand tighter. Fortunately for Harry, Hermione was positioned to his right and a little bit behind him, so he was able to hold her hand while still keeping their connection hidden by their robes. Her comforting grip calmed him and he gained strength from the contact.

Ginny stuck her hand into the large bowl and the sounds of rustling parchment could be heard. "And the winner of the Yule Ball date with the Boy Who Lived is... Hermione? No, no, no. That was a practice draw." She tossed the slip of parchment back in and gave the bowl a shake. "This time for real."

Harry's gaze never wavered as he stared intently at the large wooden bowl.

"And the winner is... Hermione?" Ginny was clearly shocked. "What the hell" she muttered and tossed the parchment back into the bowl. "Okay, best two out of three."

This time, Ginny clearly made a great show of thoroughly mixing the bowl. "Here we go... and the winner of the Yule Ball Date contest is... I don't believe this - Hermione Granger, again!"

Hermione released Harry's hand and elbowed him sharply in the stomach in much the same way she elbowed him imperceptibly when he began to fall asleep in History of Magic. Harry could just barely make out a 'no cheating' coming from the corner of Hermione's mouth before she resumed holding his hand. With a sigh, Harry ended his eye contact with the bowl and refocused his eyes on his bushy haired best friend. Strange, she was very intently staring straight at the bowl.

"Okay. Enough games. This time is for really real. Best three out of five, so mote it be!" Ginny spat out.

With more force than necessary, Ginny thrust her arm back into the bowl and with a flourish pulled out a piece of parchment, carefully keeping it closed. "All right, listen up. The one, true winner of the 'Win a Date to the Yule Ball with the Boy Who Lived" is none other than..." and the entire room stilled as almost everyone held their breath. "The winner is... Hermione Granger..."

Silence once again filled the room, but the silence quickly gave way to sobbing as several girls burst out in tears. To make it official, Harry surreptitiously slid his hand out of Hermione's grip and turned to face her.

"Hermione, will you be my date to the Yule Ball?"

She didn't hesitate. A smile, a nod, and a quick 'yes' followed and the two made their way from the room.

Once they passing through an empty corridor, Harry whispered to her out the side of his mouth. "And what do you call that, Miss No-Cheating?"

Hermione kept a straight face and whispered back in the same way. "I call it Fate Balancing Debts. Wouldn't you agree?" She smiled."

"I can live with that."

<::::}]End Chapter 2[{::::>

Please review as comments and criticism help fuel the creative process.