Unofficial Portkey Archive

Gravity of Love by Perivayne
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Gravity of Love

Perivayne

Author's Note: Been a while since I've been able to do much with this story. I apologize to those following this, but personal life issues have not been very cooperative for the last year or so. Here's Chapter 4, and I expect to have Chapter five posted in the next two weeks.

Chapter Four

Hogwarts Castle, Perth & Kinross, Scotland

The sun was beginning to set over the brow of the mountains when Hermione and her son exited the Floo into the Headmistresses' circular office.

The absent Professor McGonagall's tastes and interests were reflected in the seating chairs, the bookcases and other paraphernalia. Tartan was the fabric of choice in most of the upholstery. Hermione remembered most of the office's contents from her visits during what would have been her seventh year here at Hogwarts. Jamie was a little frightened by the sudden changes in his surroundings and clung tightly to her neck.

The Floo belched out a burst of green flame and Ron exited, brushing stray ashes from his robes. He was followed in quick succession by Luna and Tonks. Hermione kept her breathing as even as possible, but her adrenaline made the task difficult. She kept jiggling one leg even as she told herself to keep calm.

She and Jamie were now on the run from the general wizarding public of Great Britain at the moment, so she didn't expect her nerves to settle anytime soon.

Hogwarts was the best location to remain undercover by hiding within the ancient castle's wards and protections. But it also meant that she and Jamie would effectively become prisoners for the duration of their stay here as well. Any further trips to visit her parents in Oxfordshire would be impossible until this furor died down.

Her parents were being relocated to the Burrow with the Weasleys and Moody to lie low for a time. The explosion that had rocked the Wizarding World had made itself felt just after noon, when the first wave of owls began to pester the Grangers and Jamie at the London Zoo.

It got much worse very quickly after the owls starting arriving.

Tonks had been forced to disillusion the Grangers and Jamie to hide them before calling in other members of Ron's team to help them escape from the growing crowd of witches and wizards that were apparating into the vicinity to catch a glimpse of Harry Potter's son.

Ron and Hermione had both glanced over the morning edition of the Daily Prophet to check and see if there was a mention of Jamie, but they had only seen the general mention of Hermione arriving to assist the Ministry in some esoteric research.

What the pair had missed was the special edition of the Prophet that was sent out later that morning with the exclusive interview of an unnamed Ministry source that could confirm that Hermione's son was Harry Potter's son as well.

Of course, to make the gall even worse for Hermione, the by-line was Rita Skeeter's.

That the article was sensationalized was an understatement of nearly-Biblical proportions. Hermione had read the piece the first time through jaw agape, and the second read was punctuated by Hermione incinerating the newspaper with a burst of wandless magic and stamping on the ashes.

Ron was impressed by her wandless magic burst to say the least.

Now, she stood in the Headmistress' Office and wondered what else could go wrong.

Heavy footfalls sounded on the stair just outside the door, and the newcomers turned to see Professor McGonagall and Hagrid enter the office.

"'Ermione!" Hagrid exclaimed happily.

"Hello Hagrid," She replied with a smile.

Jamie peeked around his mother to see the groundskeeper for the first time. "Mummy, he's in m'book!"

Hagrid's jaw dropped and Professor McGonagall tried to stifle her gasp of surprise. Hermione let Jamie stand on a chair to give her back a rest and to give the others a pause to get over the shock of seeing Jamie's resemblance to his father.

"Miss Granger," The Headmistress came forward and grasped Hermione's hand. "Welcome back to Hogwarts."

"Thank you, Headmistress," Hermione turned to catch Jamie as he started to bounce up and down on the chair. "I appreciate your offer of sanctuary here in the Castle, and I'm sorry for the imposition."

"Rubbish, Miss Granger," McGonagall's sharp gray eyes swept over her visitor and she gave a tiny nod as if approving Hermione's general condition. "You are one of our most prestigious graduates, and Hogwarts has always taken care of its own in times of need."

Jamie slid down to sit in the chair and kicked his legs to and fro. He was becoming overtired and that would lead to acting out very soon. "Would it be possible to see our rooms now, Professor?" Hermione shot her former Head of House a desperate look first before cutting her gaze back to her son.

Bless her, McGonagall caught the hint. "Certainly, you'll want to freshen up before supper, I'm sure," The Headmistress turned to Hagrid. "Please show Miss Granger to the guest suite, Hagrid."

Hagrid beamed happily. "O'course, come along then, `ermione."

Ron, Luna and Tonks brought up the rear as they headed down the circular stairs and towards the Grand Staircase. Jamie stayed quiet in her arms, but his head swiveled from side to side to take in as much as he could, but he was beginning to droop noticeably. He laid his head down on her shoulder with a sigh.

It was strange how much he took after Harry at odd moments. Sometimes, Hermione had trouble recognizing any of herself in her son; it was almost like she didn't even have much to do with Jamie's creation.

They wound up to the seventh floor and headed past the Pink Lady, who greeted them warmly and craned her neck to get a good look at the little boy, to a odd cul-de-sac that Hermione remembered from her prefect days as one that always had to be checked for snogging couples.

The back wall of the niche held a single portrait of a medieval witch in rich attire scrying with a map and crystal. She did not look up until Hagrid cleared his throat loudly.

"Sir Hagrid, you bring guests?" The woman appeared to be young, fair-skinned with dark eyes and hair.

"I do, m'lady, this here's Hermione Granger and her son, Jamie," Hagrid said.

"Ah," The lady stood up from her seat and smoothed her rumpled blue kirtle. "Please you to select your password, milady?"

"Hmm…let's try something simple for Jamie's sake," Hermione paused and then said firmly. "Pooh."

The lady nodded her head and a slight glow flashed from the painting's frame. "So it shall be."

The painted figure then froze and the large canvas swung slowly to the side, revealing a plain wooden door with a simple latch. Hagrid shifted the luggage he was carrying to his left side and opened the door with his right hand.

The room was rather like the Gryffindor Common Room with cozy chairs and a large couch before a large fireplace. Four doors led from the central room, and a quick glance into them indicated two bedrooms, a connecting bath and private study of an amazing size and a working Floo connection, as Aurors and some assistants from the Department of Mysteries were bringing through the contents of Luna's library and research from the Ministry. Hermione quietly closed the door and let them get on with their work.

Jamie was beginning to drowse against her shoulder, so she took a chance on getting him down and settled for at least a nap in the smaller of the bedrooms. A quick cast of wards to be sure he didn't roll out of the bed inadvertently and she slipped from the room with only a token protest from the tired child.

Luna was directing the transfer of her work by then. "Over there, and don't disturb the order, if you please."

Hermione gestured to call Ron's attention. He came over after a quick word with Sheamus. "Jamie sleeping?"

"For the moment," she replied, glancing over her shoulder to check on the cracked door to the smaller bedroom. "I need to send a post, please."

"I'll get an owl," Ron said.

"Thank you," Hermione dropped into one of the central rooms cushioned seats and removed her shoes. "There's some things from home I need to request."

He looked curious, but held off on asking any further questions as he headed into the Library to ask Luna if she needed anything from the Ministry.

Waiting on Ron again, she thought. Memory washed over her as she stared into the fire.

Two days had passed since Ron had headed off to see his brothers and enlist their aid to sneak into Hogwarts to retrieve the Ravenclaw Orrery from the Astronomy Tower…

Harry hadn't been comfortable letting Ron go alone, but both Ron and Hermione had persuaded him that it was the best chance of securing the item with the least amount attention. As a result, the past 48 hours had been rather tense as they awaited word from Ron.

Hermione pushed open the door from the kitchen at Grimmauld Place with a tray of sandwiches and tea and headed upstairs to the library. Crookshanks bounded up the stairs in front of his mistress, taking his escort duties in earnest; hoping to get rewarded no doubt with whatever scraps would be left over after lunch. She hadn't caught Harry passing Crooks food yet, but she suspected it.

The door was open, and she paused at the entrance. Harry was bent over a large, dark-leather bound tome and was practicing a complex wand movement. The wand tip glowed a brilliant blue-white that seemed to radiate down into the core.

Hermione cleared her throat loudly and Harry's head shot up, eyes intent before he smiled slightly. The glow faded slowly as he sat back and pushed the tome aside. "Luncheon time, then?"

"Yes," she answered, entering the room and laying her burden on a empty section of the central table. "Nothing special, though."

"It'll be fine, Hermione," he grabbed a half of a sandwich and a cup of tea. "Really, don't take Ron seriously. You're a good cook."

Hermione shrugged. "I know that, but still…"

Harry glanced over sharply as she took the seat opposite him. "But?"

"I guess I could stand to improve my kitchen skills. Perhaps, Molly could train me some."

He snorted humorlessly. "Ron needs to stop trying to make you into his mother."

Hermione started in surprise. Where had that criticism of Ron come from? She'd expected Harry to agree that Molly could help her.

The rest of the meal passed in relative quiet. Harry returned to his studies and Hermione returned to her research into the nature of Horcruxes and her other side project.

The sudden tapping sound at the window provoked an immediate reaction when it shattered the silence. Wands raised, both friends kept their focus trained on the fluttering shape on the other side of the hazy glass. Crooks broke their strain by jumping to the windowsill and meowing in welcome.

Harry strode to the window and threw open the lower sash to admit Pig into the room, then closed the window once more. Hermione was trying to contain the hyperactive owl, but without much success; after the fourth miss, Harry reached out and snagged the tiny avian messenger with nonchalant skill.

Hermione spared him an aggravated glance before moving forward and detaching the letter.

"Dear J-,

Have arrived safely. Hope you are enjoying your time at the beach. Will return home in a fortnight.

Love, B-"

The coded message was good news indeed. "He's at Hogwarts and has the Orrery. He'll bring it back after a week to avoid being tracked. Fred will be with him and will assist."

Harry sighed and rubbed his eyes wearily. "Now, we only need the last one."

She nodded. "We've found all the other Founder's artifacts. Are we certain he never obtained one of Gryffindor's?"

"The only two artifacts we know of tied to Gryffindor are the Sorting Hat and the sword, both of which were guarded by Dumbledore. Neither one has the taint of a Horcrux on them."

"Hmm, still, it seems like we're overlooking something though," Hermione tossed the message into the fire as Harry plopped Pig onto a corner stand and gave him a substantial owl treat.

"Harry, I've noticed something here," Hermione said hesitantly as she returned to her seat on the other side of the table.

"What is it?"

"I'm not sure if it's important or not…" She trailed off, then stood up and unrolled a large scroll out in front of the dark haired boy.

"Looks like Sirius' family tree almost, hang on, is this…?"

"This is the Potter family tree…notice anything about the marriages in your direct descent?"

"No, what am I looking for?"

"I've researched most of the names along the main branch…there are not many marriages back into the established magical families, Harry. In fact, I'd say, that the Potters were deliberately marrying outside the families…starting with Godric Gryffindor himself. Most of these names I've managed to find information about were Muggle-borns or of squib descendence."

"So, my Mum and Dad…"

She cocked her head and moved around the table to stand beside him. "Pretty much the norm in your family it seems…which appears to buck the trend of just about any other established magical line in Great Britain."

"Great, another reason to paint red and white concentric circles on my back for Voldemort, right?"

Hermione smacked the back of his head in exasperation. "Git, there's something more here…your family line has been growing in power for generations as well. Conspicuously growing."

"I thought magical ability got diluted with outside marriages?" Harry rubbed the back of his head as he leaned back to gaze quizzically at his friend.

"Well that's the conventional wisdom of the majority, but seems there's an argument for genetic diversity and you are living proof of it."

He sighed. "OK, but does this help with the Horcruxes?"

Hermione went back to her seat and flopped down despondently. "Not that I can find, but it might have some value…I'm trying any angle to turn up a lead."

Harry smiled and rerolled the parchment. "It's nice to have this at least. Thanks, Hermione."

They continued studying late into the night, pausing only for another quick meal for dinner. After midnight, Hermione, desperate for a break, decided to take a bath and grab some sleep. Harry wished her a good night and she climbed the stairs to the next floor.

She'd enjoyed a good long soak and was just changed into her pajamas when she heard the sound of breaking glass from below. Grabbing her wand, she quietly crept down the stair after a quick disillusionment charm.

Harry was alone in the study still, staring into the fire and Hermione shook her head ruefully before cancelling the charm. Paranoia from being chased and hiding was beginning to really do a number on her nerves.

"What happened? I heard a crash," She inquired softly.

Harry snorted humorlessly, raising the bottle of fire-whiskey with a flourish. "Got rid of the glass, that's all."

Hermione frowned and padded across to his side. "I don't think that's going to help, Harry."

"I'm not looking for help, I'm looking for oblivion," He answered.

She snatched the bottle, causing him to twist around in the chair with a glare. "Give it back, Hermione."

She summoned a chair to sit beside him before she took a healthy gulp of the liquor. And promptly began to cough and gasp around the flames that issued from her mouth.

Harry snickered before rescuing the bottle from her loosened grip. "I'd suggest sipping, not gulping."

After she regained her breath, they passed the liquor back and forth a few more times before she waved it off. Perhaps it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but the relaxation the alcohol provided felt too good to pass up. Tension melted away in the warm haze of the whiskey.

"If you could do anything you wanted right now, what would you do?" He asked softly.

She blinked, and tried to concentrate. "Anything?"

"Anything…" He smirked and waggled his brows suggestively.

She giggled at his expression before slapping her hand over her mouth. "I think I'm foxed…"

Harry reached over to chuck her under her chin. "Focus, Hermione."

"If I could do anything…hmm," She cocked her head, considering. "I'd want to be helping you study for your NEWTS."

Harry's eyes widened with amazement. "You'd want to be studying with me? But, that's all we've been doing lately…"

Hermione laid her head back against the back of the chair and closed her eyes against the slow spinning of the room. "Helping with your NEWTS, you git, because we'd only have to worry about passing some tests, rather than worrying whether or not we might live or die tomorrow."

The crackling of the low fire was the only sound in the room for a short time. She almost drowsed off before Harry broke the silence.

"I'm so sorry, Hermione," His voice shook with pain. "It's my fault."

Hermione shook off some of the haze. "It's not your fault, Harry!" She wobbled upright and grabbed his head to force his gaze to hers. "It was my choice. And I don't regret it for one moment."

Harry's eyes were dark with anguish and, for once, Hermione decided to follow her instincts instead of her intellect.

She kissed him.

The sudden flare of flames in the grate broke Hermione's reverie. Ron stepped through the spinning flames with a cage in hand with a gorgeous Snowy Owl clinging to the perch inside. Hedwig hooted happily as she glimpsed Hermione.

Time to call in those favors she'd been saving.

-->