Unofficial Portkey Archive

My Future or Our Future? by ShellyLove
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

My Future or Our Future?

ShellyLove

The next morning Harry was shaken awake by Ron, "C'mon Harry! Harry, wake up," he said loudly. "What?" Harry replied, slightly irritated. Ron took a step back as Harry sat up, reaching for his glasses. "It's a Hogsmeade day," Ron said grinning, "so get dressed; I'm going to fetch Luna. We'll meet you and Hermione in the entrance hall," he stated, he then turned and left bounding down the stairs. Harry showered and stood in front of the mirror drying his hair ten minutes later. The infamous scar that settled just below his hairline above his left eye hadn't hurt in three months, now just a simple scar. He took a moment to pull his Harry back to peer at it, the jagged edges resembling the path he'd taken to end the war. "Oh well, "he voiced aloud before heading to get dressed.

Down in the common room, Harry stood by the girl's staircase as he waited for Hermione. Harry's mind started to wander to five, even ten years down the road, though finally happy and at peace he felt something was missing. Hermione descended the steps behind him, she noticed the tension in his shoulders and his head bent in deep thought. Harry, honestly, she thought to herself as she walked over to him. She laid a hand on his forearm; he raised his eyes to her and grinned widely. Hermione felt her heartbeat pounding in her chest, Harry, her thoughts spun in a whirlwind at one smile. Harry took her in, dark jeans, trainers and a dark blue long-sleeve v-neck hugged her torso. Her hair fell in soft toffee brown waves to her shoulders. She's beautiful; his mind screamed feeling his heart drop to his stomach. "Are you ready to go?" Hermione asked, smiling softly, Harry held out his arm, replying "yes ma'am," as she looped her arm with his.

Upon entering the entrance hall, Harry and Hermione found Ron and Luna talking jovially with Draco Malfoy. Once an enemy, Draco had switched sides during the war and aided the trio in finding Voldemort. Now, they looked upon Draco as a friend who would give his life for each of them. "Harry, Hermione," Draco greeted them with a smile, "Heading down to the village with us, Draco?" Hermione asked. "Not today, I'm afraid. I'm spending the day here with Gin," Draco said nodding towards Ginny, who was speaking with a sixth year Hufflepuff girl. "Be sure you're taking care of my sister, eh?" Ron stated grinning, "With my life," Draco replied never missing beat. Ginny returned to his side, taking his hand while they each bid the four friends goodbye and headed outside into the warm spring air.

The village of Hogsmeade was bustling with Hogwarts students enjoying the last day of the weekend. The entire wizarding world was still coming down from the high of being free of Voldemort; this little village was no exception. Everyone the foursome passed smiled and waved. Harry smiled back, glad that his life had some part in the happiness of the world he loved. Hermione caught his blissful smile as a young wizard couple stopped them to express how deeply thankful they were to the young wizards for their victory. Harry caught Hermione's eyes on him and shared a small smile; his eyes told her everything he couldn't say out loud. Everyone's happiness is because of you, Harry. Mine especially, Hermione thought to herself.

Ron and Luna parted from Harry and Hermione around noon to head back to the castle. Harry and Hermione walked around the village for a little while longer. As they made their way down the crowded street a breeze caught Hermione's hair and blew her scent back in Harry's face. His nostrils filled with the vanilla scent that was uniquely Hermione. Wow, she smells wonderful, Harry thought as Hermione took his hand leading him through the throng of people into The Three Broomsticks. They grabbed a booth at the back of the pub; Madame Rosmerta came over with two butterbeers then left to take other orders. "Having fun today, Mione?" Harry asked leaning close to be heard over the noise. "As always, and yourself?" she replied, Harry scooted closer to her and answered "More than ever, actually. I don't know why but I'm blissfully happy today, funny isn't it?"

Hermione's light-hearted smile turned serious, "You deserve happiness, Harry. More than anyone in this world don't ever think differently," she said her eyes sparkling in the dim light of the pub. Just this one time, Hermione let her feelings flow into her words and the long hidden emotions shined in her eyes. "Mione," Harry murmured his heart catching as he lost himself in her eyes. "Oi, 'arry, 'ermione!" they heard a loud voice boom across the crowded room. They turned to see Hagrid waving at them from the doorway. Harry left money on the table and led Hermione to Hagrid's side. Hagrid grinned down at them and motioned for them to follow him outside, "Hey there, you two. How are ya'? Hagrid inquired smiling as they stepped into the crowded street and headed towards honey dukes. "I'm fine and you?" Hermione responded, grinning at their large friend. Harry remained quiet, his thoughts back in the booth, the look in Hermione's eyes seared into his mind, why was she looking at me like that, he thought.

"Harry," Hagrid called, pulling Harry out of his reverie, "yes?" he answered, focusing on the words of his first magical friend. "How are ya doin?" Hagrid repeated, grinning. "I'm good, and you?" Harry spoke quickly, sneaking a look at Hermione. Her concerned eyes met his; he smiled at her and turned back to Hagrid just catching the half-giant's words. "Doin' just fine, heading to the Hog's Head for a bit, then back ter Hogwarts. I've got ter run, but I'll see you two in class tomorrow," Hagrid responded, leaving the pair at the entrance to Honeydukes.

Harry and Hermione bought numerous sweets and took a turn down the dirt road that led to the Shrieking Shack. The sunshine fell on the broken windows of the old house, throwing rainbows on the rotting porch. Harry and Hermione sat side by side on the steps of the house where Harry had spoken to Snape just before he died. Silence fell between them as both retreated to their own thoughts. Harry turned his head just enough to glimpse Hermione out of the corner of his eye. Her face held a thoughtful expression, he continued to watch as a small smile formed on her lips her eyes sparkling with joy, what could she be thinking about? Harry asked himself.

He hesitated a second before he asked "Hermione, what are you thinking about?" Hermione turned to him and teasingly said "My future." She smiled at his look of mock annoyance and continued "I actually was thinking about what I want in the future." Harry's amused expression turned serious at her words, "tell me about it?" he asked his eyes searching for hers. Hermione turned straight ahead, looking at the castle up on the hill just visible above the line of trees and said "After I become a Healer, I plan on buying a flat in London, then getting married, moving a ways outside the city and raising a family. I can see it, the country house and the children playing outside. My husband apparates from work and teaches them to fly and perform small amounts of magic. I call them in for dinner, and we live happily in peace. I want that so bad,"

Harry had never heard Hermione speak this way, her voice full of longing. Harry closed his eyes and he could see it too, Hermione working over the stove, an apron covering her summer dress. Outside a little girl and boy are running and playing, Hermione smiling fondly as she watches them out the window. It hit him like a ton of bricks, his heart started to race. The only thing missing is…me, he thought. Harry opened his eyes; the sun had begun to set over the trees. Hermione still sat beside him, now looking at him intently, no smile lit up her face as he turned to her.

The sight of this woman too his breath away, he'd never seen things so clear until this moment, looking at Hermione. Her curls of soft brown bathed in sunlight, the kind brown eyes twinkling with that same look from earlier. "Hermione," he said quietly, "I can see it too, and you deserve that happiness more than anyone." Hermione smiled, "I have a question for you, Harry." Caught off guard, he nodded for her to continue. "Have you figured out what you want yet?" she asked quietly, her eyes locked on his. Harry nodded and the words just came, "I want marriage, I want kids, I want a house in the country. I want a job that allows me to return home to my family every night, but before all that," Harry paused and cupped her cheek, "I want you." A single tear slid down Hermione's cheek, only to be wiped away by his thumb. "Took you long enough, you prat," Hermione said capturing his lips in a fiery kiss.

Hermione opened her eyes, smiling at the sound of loud laughter from outside. She set down the knife she'd been using to chop vegetables and walked across the kitchen to the back door. From the threshold she could see two children running after a small gold ball with wings that zoomed just above their outstretched arms. The little girl squealed with joy, her brown curls bouncing around her bright face as her glowing jade eyes searched the sky for the snitch. The slightly older boy picked up the little girl and set her on his shoulders. His chocolate brown eyes gleamed with amusement as the little girl's small hands closed around the snitch. The boy then began to run around, the young girl giggling as a crack sounded behind them.

The children turned to the sound and bounded out of sight only to return to Hermione's vision with a man in tow. The small girl was now in the arms of the man, showing him the snitch between her fingers. The man laughed and kissed her head, then turned to the boy at his side and ruffled his messy black hair. "Oi dad!" the boy exclaimed laughing. Hermione smiled at her family fondly and stepped outside calling, "Dinner time, come on you lot,"

Three faces turned to her, smiling broadly, the man set the squirming child down and chuckled as the girl bolted to Hermione. The little girl jumped into her outstretched arms, "Mummy, look! James helped me catch the snitch!" she said happily. Hermione squeezed her tight, "That's amazing baby, I'm so proud of you," she said lovingly.

"What's for dinner, mum?" the boy asked as he reached the door. Hermione turned to him, a smile forming and said, "you'll find out after you wash up, take Lily with you," she said ruffling his hair, causing him to laugh. The boy took his little sister's hand and disappeared through door. Hermione turned to the tall man behind her, "How was work?" she asked stepping into his waiting embrace. "Fine," he replied in his deep baritone voice, "I'm glad to be home. I missed you," he continued laying a chaste kiss on her lips. "I missed you too, Mr. Potter," she replied teasingly. She intertwined their fingers and laid them upon his chest, "I love you, Harry," she said tenderly. Harry grinned mischievously laying his chin atop her head, "and I love you, now what's for dinner?" he joked.

Hermione slapped him lightly on the arm in mock anger and turned to walk inside, but Harry scooped her up in his arms and stepped inside. "You're everything I've ever wanted, Mione," Harry whispered in her ear, Hermione's façade of anger softened into a smile, "I know,' she said lacing her fingers through his as he lowered her to the kitchen floor. The couple shared a secret smile as they and their children sat down to a peaceful evening at home, together.