Unofficial Portkey Archive

We All Have Scars by ShellyLove
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

We All Have Scars

ShellyLove

Author's Note: So, after reading a review asking for more I've decided to add an epilogue. Whether it needs it or not is up to you guys, but here it is. Of course, I skipped to the end of the battle. I'd love to hear thoughts on this. Hope you enjoy :)

Harry awoke in the hospital wing of Hogwarts with no concept of the day or the hour. His entire body felt heavy, drained from his battle against Voldemort. He closed his eyes and tried to remember what had happened, the last he saw was Hermione running to him battered and bruised after Voldemort had fallen. It's really over, his mind reminded him. Harry opened his eyes to the blurry ceiling of the oh-so-familiar infirmary. Harry reached a bandaged hand to his bedside table blindly searching for his glasses. Once he had donned his glasses, the room swam into focus. He was alone; Madame Pomfrey was not bustling around as usual yelling at him for not resting.

Harry slowly sat up, his body screaming and swung his legs over the side of the bed. I have to find her, he thought to himself as he stood up and began his walk to the doors. Outside the castle, Hermione and Ron stood on the banks of the Great Lake, it's once threatening depths a distant fear after the events of the last week.

Ron lifted a hand to Hermione's shoulder and said "He'll wake up soon, Herms. Madame Pomfrey said he just needed to rest. She even left for St. Mungo's with the rest of the Order and teachers. She wouldn't have left if she thought he needed to be taken care of."

"Hermione sighed, "I know, but I'd just like to see him awake and hear his voice. It would make me feel better," not to mention I love him, Hermione's thoughts continued for her.

Ron let his hand fall back to his side and turned to leave her in peace, but stopped and called to her. Hermione spun on the spot and looked at him questioning his soft tone.

"I already know, Hermione. You don't have to keep it to yourself that you're worried. It's not hard to see that you love him, it's never been hard to see," Ron stated, his voice lacking its usual jealousy on the subject.

Hermione's eyes widened and she began to apologize profusely but Ron held up a hand to silence her. "I know Herms, I know. You don't need to apologize, I've accepted it. I've even moved on, we wouldn't have worked. I see that now," he said smiling. Hermione ran to him, throwing her arms around his slim waist in one of her signature hugs. Ron enveloped her in a tight hug, his quiet words only loud enough for her to hear, "If he hurts you, I'll kill him."

Hermione laughed and stepped back from him to point at him, "Just because I'm glad you're okay with us does not mean I'll let you skive by on the over-protective brother bit." Ron held up his hands in surrender, his smile stretching the length of his face. Both turned to the sound of approaching footsteps to find Luna Lovegood smiling dreamily as she reached them. Luna stood awkwardly to the side, her large grey eyes on Ron, who then reached out and took her hand drawing her to his side. Luna laid her head on his shoulder with a content smile. Ron placed a kiss on her hair and looked up at Hermione.

"Oh I see," Hermione began, smiling widely, "Finally." Then the two girls erupted in girlish laughter and hugged one another, while Ron looked on completely dumbfounded.

"I don't understand, what just happened?" He asked loudly to be heard over the rushed girl talk.

Luna turned to him, "Oh Hermione and I are just catching each other up on things. You know, being girls," her voice trailed off as she caught sight of something over Ron's shoulder.

Ron, Hermione, and Luna turned to see the tall, muscular form of Harry crossing the grounds, his smile turning into a bright grin his eyes finally came to Hermione. Hermione pushed past Ron and Luna and ran to him, her eyes filled with unshed tears of happiness. Harry opened his arms just in time to catch her as she launched herself into his embrace. Harry held her, feeling as though his world was finally right just having her in his arms. Harry began to kiss her face, first her forehead, cheeks, nose then finally her lips.

"Harry, you're awake," Hermione began as she pulled back to look at his healing face, the bruises already fading. Her arm found its way around his waist as she turned to walk them down to the lake side.

"Sore, but never better," he replied his arm winding around his shoulders. The pair shared a smile before walking the remaining distance to their companions' side in silence. Hermione felt Harry tense as Ron took in their position but quickly comforted him by looking up at him, smiling, her eyes telling him all he needed to know.

Hermione stepped away from Harry and made her way over to Luna's side and both watched from the sidelines as Ron threw his arms around his friend. Of course the hug lasted but a second as men don't do that sort of thing for too long.

"You look good mate, glad to you see you up and about," Ron said clapping Harry on the back as both women took positions at the side of their respective boyfriends.

Harry stole a look down at Hermione, and replied jovially "So am I, Ron. Glad to be alive and well with my friends around me. Oh and don't worry yourself with the big brother speech, I would never hurt her. I expect you'll do the same with Luna." Ron merely laughed and nodded his acquiescence.

Luna snuck a glance at Hermione and rolled her eyes, Hermione giggled and nodded that she too felt this was completely unnecessary. The two couples began a walk around the lake discussing the three days since the end of the war and what Harry had missed while he recuperated.

Many were lost in the final battle and each name that Ron, Luna or Hermione spoke of that had given their lives in the battle hit Harry hard. Harry fell behind, lost in his thoughts of those that had passed until he stopped walking all together. He found himself standing by the white tomb that held his old Headmaster, whom he still missed dearly.

His emerald eyes searched for answers in the white marble but silence was the only response he received; people had died for him, because of him again. He hung his head and remembered each memory he had of the fallen. So absorbed in his thoughts, he didn't hear the approaching footsteps of the witch whom he'd given his heart to years ago. His only knowledge of her presence was her soft hand in his. Harry raised his head and turned to her, his eyes showing the pain and uncertainty he felt.

Hermione cupped his cheek in her hand, "We all have scars, Harry. Some where others can see some are inside our hearts. Those who died would not want to be scars in your heart, but memories in your heart. They died for justice, for the freedom of the Wizarding World. It's time you stopped blaming yourself, we all need to heal including you."

Harry said nothing, but the uncertain look in his eyes had left, his eyes now held a question to which the answer only Hermione could give him. Hermione raised her hand from his cheek and traced his scar then rolled up the sleeve of her jacket to reveal the now healed scar, the letters still visible against her pale skin. Hermione took his hand in hers and ran his fingers over the scar on her forearm.

"You see Harry, we're the same. We and everyone else in the war must heal from this. We have our whole lives ahead of us that privilege is because of the sacrifices the lost made for us. You and I have never been stopped before, why start now?" Hermione spoke seriously, her toffee brown eyes never leaving his.

Harry cleared his throat and took her hands in his, "Is this what we're going to be like for the rest of our lives?' Hermione gave him a puzzled look, he smiled, "You taking care of me when I lose it, and me taking care of you when you lose it?" amusement filling his voice.

Hermione smiled slyly, "Of course, that's how it's always been, Potter. You'll never be rid of me," she said, intertwining their fingers.

"Nor do I want to be," Harry replied, kissing her lips softly.

Throughout the years, they'd been through everything imaginable now as the couple looked across the lake into the bright sunlight nothing stood in front of them. Finally they had won the freedom to live out their lives in peace, together.