Unofficial Portkey Archive

And Then There Were Two by urania_black
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

And Then There Were Two

urania_black

Title: And Then There Were Two

Summary: Sirius Black is a self proclaimed bachelor, loving every moment of the single life. So how will he cope when Dumbledore asks him to become a parent? AU

Spoilers: Just to be on the safe side: SS, CoS, PoA, GoF, OotP, and HBP

Pairings: James/Lily, Remus/OC, Sirius/ and various females, Harry/Hermione, Ron/Luna

Notes: This story is non-cannon. Therefore things that happened in the books did not necessarily happen in this story. Deal with it and move on. If you do not like stories that are not to cannon turn back now or forever hold your tongue. The average chapter should be between 8-10 pages all depending on the information going into each chapter, my mood, and my muse.

----99999----

Leaving home, life was never good to me
Leaving home, I smell the morning air
Leaving home, life was never good
You can work it out we're leaving home

Hope I like the life I find when I leave everything behind
I hope I'm sure I've made my mind to go and leave home

-- Jebediah "Leaving Home"

----99999----

Chapter One

Leaving Home

London, England - Ministry of Magic - August 1991

Life as she knew it was over. Considering Hermione Granger was only eleven years old this was a very bleak outlook for the girl. Not bothering to look out the window at the passing scenery she sat slumped in the corner of her seat. The driver was taking her to the Ministry of Magic where Albus Dumbledore would be helping to find her a foster family for the time being. The shock of it all had yet to wear off and as many times as she had pinched herself it still hurt, letting her know that everything happening was in fact real. The car pulled to an abrupt stop, but Hermione did not move until her door was opened for her. As the step-daughter of a Lord and the daughter of a Lady she had been used to being waited on hand and foot, not that she liked it, but seeing as how she was in trouble when not doing as she was told Hermione was finding it hard to go back to who she was before her mother had married the man only a year and a half earlier. She followed the driver to a small phone booth and waited patiently as it began to descend. Albus Dumbledore was waiting for her when she reached the lobby of the Ministry.

"Miss Granger," he said smiling as he grasped her hand in his.

"Headmaster." She replied.

"I have yet to meet with your foster parent so I figure the least I could to do make the time go by is to take you shopping for your school supplies." She nodded not quite sure what to say. "Have you ever traveled by Floo Powder?" he asked her as he led her toward another room with a door marked "Travel".

"No, I'm afraid I know nothing of the wizarding world."

"That is quite alright my dear. I am sure you will catch on quick enough." They entered the room which contained a very large fireplace and a wizard sitting at a desk next to the fireplace. Other than that the room was empty, "What you do is take a hand full of this special powder and throw it into the fire, then shout out your destination, and step in. Today we will be going to Diagon Alley. Make sure you enunciate or you may end up in the wrong fireplace. We wouldn't want you getting lost on your first day in the wizarding world, now would we?"

"No, sir, but it sounds simple enough." Dumbledore nodded for her to go first and she took a handful of powder from the jar the wizard behind the desk offered her. Gathering her courage she threw the dust into the flames, shouted her destination, and stepped in. Hermione landed hard on her hands and knees in what looked to be a book shop. A few seconds later Dumbledore was stepping gracefully out of the fireplace not a hair askew in his waist length hair or beard.

"It will become easier as you use it more." He pulled a piece of parchment from his robes and handed it to Hermione. "This is your list of school supplies. Your trust fund has been moved to Gringotts and converted to wizarding money. I shall go withdraw some for today's purchases. Will you be alright on your own here or would you like to accompany me?" Dumbledore asked as she read the list.

"I think I'll be fine Headmaster." He nodded and walked toward the front of the shop, stopping to converse briefly with the owner before disappearing out onto the street.

"Excuse me dear," the man at the front counter called to her, "the baskets are at the end of each isle. Just grab one and start filling it with whatever books you'd like. Headmaster Dumbledore says he will return shortly." She nodded her thanks and began drifting down the aisles deeply absorbed in reading the titles of every book.

Diagon Alley - August 1991

Hermione had gotten all of the books on her list and a few others, but the basket was as light as when she first picked it up and it looked as if she had only placed a single book in it. She was in the back alcove looking at the vast amounts of potions books when one caught her eye. Knowing it was far above her reach she set the basket down and tested the shelf to see if it would hold her weight. It did. She was standing on her tip toes struggling to pull the book out when it suddenly flung itself from the shelf into her hand. Startled she fell back bringing the entire shelf of books raining down on her. Letting out a small shriek she landed flat on her bottom clutching the book in her hand.

"That looked painful." Hermione looked up sharply to see two boys about her age standing at the end of the aisle; one with raven black hair and the other with bright red. Red was the one who had commented. She stood up quickly the book in one hand and the shelf she had been using to hold herself up in the other hand.

"Yes, um, well." She stuttered her eyes widened considerably when she saw Dumbledore reenter the shop. He smiled at her taking in the scattering of books and the shelf in her hand that she was currently trying to hide behind her small body.

"Have you found all the books you want Hermione?" he asked her, his blue eyes twinkling. She nodded too embarrassed to speak. "Very well, Mr. Potter," he turned to the raven haired boy, "is your father near by?" The boy nodded his head vigorously.

"Yes, sir, he and Uncle Sirius and Uncle Remus are just outside." When Dumbledore left Hermione dropped the shelf on the pile of books, picked up her basket, and then made her way carefully over the books to the end of the isle.

"I'm Hermione." She told the two boys.

"I'm Harry Potter, this is my best friend Ron Weasley." They looked at Hermione expectantly, but when all she did was nod they looked at each other.

"Are you a muggle born?" Ron asked her. She gave him a strange look.

"What's that?" she asked.

"Come along," Harry said ushering her up to the counter, "we'll explain everything." As the trio walked to the counter Harry and Ron very delicately began to describe the ways of the wizarding world. As she made her purchase Hermione listened avidly to the boys, soaking up every word.

"Let's go get some ice cream," Ron suggested as the man handed Hermione her bags of books.

"That sounds like a good idea. We can wait for my dad and uncles outside. What do you say Hermione, will you join us?" Harry asked taking one of the bags from her as Ron took the other.

"I don't know if I should. The Headmaster told me to wait here." She began wringing her hands and looking about the shop.

"Don't worry he went off in search of my dad." Harry reassured her as they walked out of the door.

"Plus he's Dumbledore. He knows everything so he'll know where to find you." Ron reasoned. Hermione smiled even though to her his logic made no sense whatsoever. They ordered their sundaes and sat down at one of the tables outside along the main street of Diagon Alley. Hermione watched with wide eyes as wizards and witches went about their daily routine purchasing magical items. Harry and Ron kept on talking, explaining all about the wizarding world.

"Harry, Ron, there you are. I've been looking all over for you." A man interrupted their conversation a little while later. He was the spitting image of Harry, with the exception that he had blue eyes. Two men his own age were walking with him and Dumbledore was a few steps behind. Hermione stood immediately afraid that she may have upset the headmaster.

"I told you we shouldn't have left the bookshop." She whispered harshly to the two boys.

"Relax Hermione," Harry told her gently as the adults grew closer to them, "dad isn't mad. He knows Ron and I wander off and look Dumbledore is with them. We told you he'd know just where to find you."

"Who's your new friend?" the man asked when the four adults reached their table.

"Hermione I would like you to meet my father James Potter."

"Nice to meet you Mr. Potter,' Hermione said giving a slight curtsey. She wondered briefly if she would ever ignore the training she had received over the past two years on how to be a Lady.

"No need to be so formal Hermione," James said, "You can go ahead and call me James if you'd like. It makes me sound so old if you call me Mr. Potter." He gave her a reassuring smile and she returned it shyly.

"You are old Prongs," a man with hair so black it seemed to have streaks of purple in it said clapping him on the back. He was taller that James and the other man. His teeth were pristine white, his skin a nice golden brown. Hermione noted that he was a very handsome man and he obviously knew it. His casual black robes hung open revealing faded blue jeans with a black t-shirt that was tucked in. A black belt with a silver dog belt buckle completed the outfit. Where as James was lean and muscular his friend was thick with muscle.

"Just remember you're a month older than I am," James retorted before returning his attention to Hermione, "I'd like you to meet Sirius Black and Remus Lupin." Sirius gave her a dazzling smile and Remus nodded his head.

"Miss Granger," Dumbledore interrupted coming to stand in front of the three men, "were you able to get the books that you needed?" She nodded her head as Ron and Harry held up the bags.

"And then some." She heard Ron mutter.

"Very good, now if you will follow me we have quite a few things to discuss. We will return shortly James. Sirius if you'll come along as well." Hermione gave Harry and Ron a shaky smile and followed Dumbledore into the ice cream shop. Tables and booths filled the small shop. There was an alcove in the far back that housed a single booth. Dumbledore nodded a hello to the proprietor and continued on to the back. He ushered for Hermione to scoot into the booth first and he followed. Sirius sat across from them. Hermione folded her hands in her lap, waiting patiently for whatever was about to happen.

"I have informed Sirius here of your current situation and he has been kind enough to accept the role as your guardian until further notice. Now Hermione should you not wish to live with Sirius or at any time you would like to leave you may. No one is forcing you to live in a home you do not want to. Do you understand all of this Hermione?" Dumbledore asked looking at her.

"Yes, sir I understand. I would like to thank you Mr. Black for being willing to take me into your home on such short notice. Once my mother returns I am sure you will be well compensated for all of your troubles." Sirius looked appalled.

"Hermione," Sirius said his tone soft and soothing, "you needn't worry about any of that. You are welcome to stay with me for as long as you need. Dumbledore is going to set up a meeting so that I may speak with your mother today before you move in. James and Remus will watch you until then." Sirius told her.

"It seems that you have been getting along quite well with Harry and Ron. Perhaps James will allow the three of you to explore Diagon Alley for the remainder of the day." Dumbledore suggested. Hermione nodded her head agreeing with all of it though her mind was still on something Sirius had said. He was going to see her, to speak to her. Hermione looked up at him then, looking into his dark eyes for the first time since meeting him.

"Will you tell my mum hello for me?" she asked hesitantly, "And tell her that she shouldn't worry that I still love her." Hermione bit her bottom lip waiting for his response. He smiled warmly at her.

"Of course I will. And once you get settled in maybe the both of us could go and visit her."

"I'd like that very much." The three of them began discussing the issue of moving Hermione's things. She told them she had very little that had belonged to her and not to her step-father. Sirius assured her that he would take her shopping for some more muggle clothing should she need it. Dumbledore arranged to have her things picked up at once and brought to Sirius's house in Godric's Hollow. Dumbledore checked his watch, which did not look like any watch Hermione had ever seen before and looked up to Sirius.

"I'm afraid my dear that it is nearing our time to leave. Come," Dumbledore told her standing, "let us leave you with James. The sooner we leave the sooner we will be able to return." He led her back outside with Sirius following. The boys were just finishing their sundaes when Hermione returned. She joined them at the table as the adults left to talk privately with one another.

"So what happened?" Ron asked leaning in to hear all the juicy details.

"I'm going to be living with Sirius. He's my new foster parent." She told them happily. The two grinned.

"Wicked." They cried together.

"You'll live right next door to me then," Harry said happily, "There aren't any other kids like us in Godric's Hollow. In fact I don't think there are any kids in Godric's Hollow."

"So are you going to spend the rest of the day getting your school supplies? We were just talking about going to get fitted for our robes next. Then Uncle James said we good go by Quality Quidditch Supplies." Ron told her excitedly.

"Quidditch?" she questioned, a frown marking her face, "What's quidditch?" Ron and Harry looked aghast at this statement.

"Quidditch is only the best sport known to wizard." Ron looked appalled. At a loss for words he motioned for Harry to explain. It was unfathomable that someone would not know about quidditch, "Please Harry explain to the poor girl all that she is missing out on." Before Harry could launch into a very long in-depth explanation the adults returned.

"And what Ron," Sirius asked, "is Hermione missing out on?"

"Quidditch, the girl doesn't know about quidditch. It's just not right I tell you." Hermione looked at them all not quite sure what to make of it.

"As I was trying to tell you Hermione," Harry said turning to her, "quidditch is played on broomsticks. It's much like muggle football really. Except there are four different balls, three goal posts, and the fact that it's played on broomsticks. So I guess in fact that it's really nothing like muggle football with the exception that-" James put a hand on his son's shoulder.

"Harry," he began, "maybe if Hermione saw a game she would understand it. Until then let's head across the street to Madame Malkin's and get you three fitted for your school robes. Say goodbye to your Uncle Sirius and Dumbledore." He told them affectionately. The three chorused their goodbyes and were dashing across the street joyfully, leaving behind the two bags filled with Hermione's books.

"Well it looks as if they're getting along splendidly." Remus commented.

"Yes, let's just hope the boys don't corrupt poor Hermione too early on." James told him dryly.

"Oh I am pretty sure she is more than capable of holding her own." Dumbledore's eyes twinkled.

"Kind of like Lily." James said softly, his eyes misting over at the thought of his late wife.

"Very much so." Sirius agreed clapping his best friend on the back in comfort.

----99999----

Hermione stood extremely still with her arms stretched out to the side as far as they could go. The tape measurer went about its business and a quill took notes on a piece of floating parchment as Madame Malkin supervised the entire thing. Harry and Ron stood beside her going through the exact same process. The bells hanging over the door chimed letting them all know that someone else had entered the nearly deserted shop.

A boy about their age with white blond hair entered the shop with an elderly man holding several packages in tow. Hermione smiled a hello at him, but he simply glared back. Her smile faltered.

"Potter, Weasley." He said bitterly.

"Malfoy." Harry said in the same tone. Hermione looked back and forth between the three boys trying to figure out what was going on. His attention turned to Hermione.

"Who are you?" he asked. Harry opened his mouth to respond for her, but she answered first.

"Lady Hermione Granger and you are?" she asked with mock politeness.

"Granger?" he asked thinking to himself, "that's not the name of any wizarding family I know. I guess that means you're a mudblood then." The store went deathly silent before chaos erupted. Harry and Ron both pounced on Malfoy as if they were wild animals, Madame Malkin berated Malfoy for using such language in her store and then for fighting, Hermione stepped down and tried desperately to pull the boys off of Malfoy while his servant tried to pull him to safety.

"Harry, Ron what in Merlin's name are you doing?" James asked angrily entering the shop with Remus. Hermione fell to the floor as she was pushed away by Malfoy, which in turn caused the fighting to only escalate. Remus helped her to her feet before assisting James in pulling Harry and Ron out of the fight. When they had successfully accomplished this and the boys were in their different corners Remus took Harry and Ron out of the shop. "I am terribly sorry for their behavior Madame Malkin. I assure you they will be punished accordingly for their actions." She nodded in acceptance, now clutching the parchment and quill tightly in her hands.

"Before you punish them too harshly you should find out their reasoning for resorting to such violence. While I do not condone fighting in my shop they did have an excellent reason. Good day to you both." She said to James and Hermione. James put an arm around Hermione's shoulders and led her out of the shop.

"We are going home. I will finish your shopping for you on another day Harry and Ron your mother will be informed of your escapade today." James told them as they hung their heads.

"Please, Mr. Potter," Hermione said quietly, "it was because of me they were fighting." The two men looked at her in confusion.

"Dad you don't understand Malfoy called her a mudblood." James looked horrified by the word and looked down at Hermione.

"Did he really?" James demanded. Hermione nodded.

"Yes, but I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about." James was about to explain when Remus interrupted.

"I do not think this is the place to explain James. Perhaps Sirius should sit down with her and explain it all. For now let's just try to enjoy the remainder of the day." James nodded in agreement. Harry and Ron sighed with relief.

"Oh don't think this let's you off the hook boys. I'm still letting your mother know what happened Ron and Harry you aren't allowed on a broom for a week."

"But dad-" Harry protested.

"Not one complaint or I'll easily make it two." Harry grumbled, but nodded his head anyway. "Good, come on let's go to the apothecary and the cauldron shop then we'll get your wand Hermione as the boys got theirs at the beginning of the summer." Though Hermione was still curious as to what had transpired in the robe shop she nodded in agreement, following James back down to one end of Diagon Alley where the two shops were.

As the packages began to mount Remus pulled out his wand, muttered a spell, and everything shrunk down so he could slip it into his pockets. She stared in awe. It was the first bit of magic she had ever witnessed. They continued going into the shops until they reached the opposite end of Diagon Alley where Ollivander's was located. Harry and Ron sat in the chairs by the window of the shop. They poked at each other and whispered conspiratorially to each other while James and Remus accompanied Hermione to the counter.

"Hello there little one," Ollivander greeted, "here for your wand for Hogwarts I assume. Your name would be?" he asked.

"Lady Hermione Granger." She answered. Remus hid a smile as James rolled his eyes at her politeness.

"Still the same James Potter as always and you Remus Lupin keeping your wand in excellent condition I hope. Yew, dragon heartstring, 12" and you James mahogany, phoenix tail feather, 11"." Before either one of them could respond Ollivander disappeared into one of the aisles and reappeared with several boxes. Selecting one box he handed the wand inside to Hermione. "Try this one my dear. 10", willow, unicorn hair for the core." She gripped the wand tightly, but nothing happened. Looking up at James fearfully the question every muggle born was bound to ask was almost upon her lips when James responded.

"Don't worry it's just not the wand for you. As Mr. Ollivander here always says the wand must select the wizard, not the wizard the wand." Hermione nodded in acceptance and moved onto the next wand.

"Perhaps a different core would be more suited to you." Ollivander mumbled to himself. He shuffled through the boxes before handing Hermione a second wand. "This one is 9 ½", rosewood, phoenix tail feather for the core." She took the wand and gave it a small flick, boxes went flying in every direction. Ollivander plucked it from her small hand immediately. "Definitely not." He said handing her another one, "11", bayberry, phoenix tail feather." She took the wand offered an electric shock went through the wand and she dropped it immediately.

"Ow!" she exclaimed grabbing her hand, "Maybe I'm not meant to have a wand." She said softly as she massaged her hand.

"Nonsense," Ollivander said, "of course you're meant to have a wand." He went into the back again and came back with only one box, "I think this one is for you my dear." A little reluctantly Hermione took the wand. A soft breeze circled the room and red sparks shot from the tip of the wand, "That's vine wood, 10", and dragon heartstring for the core. It'll be 8 galleons Miss Granger and make sure you take good care of that wand. I don't make many from vine wood." Hermione smiled and took the box with her wand in it carefully cradling it to her chest.

The clock on top of Gringotts chimed four times letting them know the time they were to leave was drawing near. Hermione showed the boys her brand new wand, though she refused to let them hold it.

"Shall we floo home Moony?" James asked as they head for the Leaky Cauldron.

"You go on ahead I need to stop by home and speak with Maria."

"Trouble in paradise still?" James asked. Remus just nodded his head, "Don't force something that isn't there Remus."

"We can discuss it later. When the walls have lost their ears, for now take the kids home. Show Hermione your house. No doubt she'll be spending a fair amount of time there." James nodded and clapped Remus on the back.

"See you at dinner then, mate." James ushered the kids toward the fireplace before giving them each the proper amount of floo powder. "Hermione you'll need to say 'Lily Manor'." She nodded her head and walked into the fire after Harry and Ron had already left. After tumbling out of the fireplace the boys helped Hermione to her feet.

"Don't worry," Ron told her as she brushed soot from her clothes, "you'll get used to it." She stepped a little further away from the fireplace and looked around the living room. To her right bookshelves lined the walls. They were filled with a mixture of books, pictures, trophies, and various knick-knacks. To her left was an entryway to the kitchen and stairs that led to the second floor. French doors behind her led out onto a large terrace. She could see in front of her the front door that was a plain oak with a single window for viewing visitors that was covered with a lacy curtain. There was a spattering of furniture that filled the living room. It looked well lived in. Quidditch magazines littered the coffee table, a Nimbus 2000 was leaning against the left wall, and a large brown cat was curled up in an armchair near the fire.

"It's lovely," she told James as he stepped out of the fireplace.

"Thank you Hermione. It was Lily's dream home." He said glancing around at all of the pictures.

"Was?" Hermione questioned.

"She died when I was a baby." Harry answered. Hermione was immediately sorry and she turned back to James.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude." James shook his head and patted her back.

"Nonsense Hermione. Harry, Ron why don't you show Hermione upstairs. You can play until Sirius gets back then I'm sure you'll want some time to move in and get to know each other."

"Thank you Mr. Potter." She said before following the boys up the stairs.

"Soon enough you'll be calling me Uncle James." He said ruefully before heading into the kitchen. Sighing James placed the packages on the table to begin sorting what was whose. "I can't believe he's starting Hogwarts Lil. Merlin you'd be so proud of him."

"Dad we're going outside to play." Harry called as the trio ran down the stairs, then headed through the living room for the foyer.

"Make sure you're in before dark. And no exploring the woods." James called back momentarily forgetting is loneliness. As long as he had Harry, James knew he would be just fine.