Unofficial Portkey Archive

And Then There Were Two by urania_black
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

And Then There Were Two

urania_black

Title: And Then There Were Two

Summary: Sirius Black is a self proclaimed bachelor, loving every moment of the single life. So how will he cope when Dumbledore asks him to become a parent? AU

Spoilers: Just to be on the safe side: SS, CoS, PoA, GoF, OotP, and HBP

Pairings: James/Lily, Remus/OC, Sirius/ and various females, Harry/Hermione, Ron/Luna

A/N: Thank you so much to everyone who reviewed. I can't tell you how happy I am that you all are enjoying the story! All the questions asked will be answered in due time. I'm trying to stay ahead with the writing and am currently working on chapter 5. I plan on posting possibly once a week, but we'll see how it goes. Again, thank you all so much!

----99999----

And there is no way
This could ever make sense
And there is no way
I could let this happen again

We're moving on
Moving on

-- Bleach "Moving On"

----99999----

Chapter Two

Moving On

St. Levan, England - Godric's Hollow - Lily Manor - August 1991

Harry and Ron showed Hermione all over the grounds of Lily Manor. Out front a rose garden lined one side of the driveway while trees showed the edge of the woods James had told them not to enter on the other side. Hermione spotted a few houses on the street, but they were mostly hidden by trees. Knowing there was nothing of interest in the front yard the boys took her around to the back. There was a magical jungle gym set, a fenced in magically padded section of grass to practice flying, and the terrace Hermione had seen from the living room. James stood at the kitchen window and she waved to him. The boys ran over to the jungle gym and she soon followed. The slide was the most fun she'd ever had. One simply picked the settings: height, length, the number of turns and so forth and then slid down. Though Ron and Harry soon tired of the slide and went over to the swings, Hermione never did. She would choose her favorite setting, which was an extremely long slide, with lots of turns and a few bumps, but was not very steep, then she would lie down, cross her arms over her chest, close her eyes, and slide.

"Come on Hermione," Harry called after a while, "come swing for a bit." Sliding down one last time, she landed smoothly, and walked over to the third swing. Looking at it apprehensively she sat down carefully. Nothing happened. She sighed with relief and using her feet began to swing. Once her feet left the ground, the ground disappeared, when she looked down all she saw were clouds. Shrieking she closed her eyes and jumped off. She hit the ground instantly as she had not been swinging very high. James was out on the terrace in an instant.

"Hermione," he called worriedly as he began to run toward the three of them. Ron and Harry had ceased their swinging and were currently helping her to her feet.

"I'm fine," she said shakily, "I just didn't realize that there wasn't going to be any ground to look at while I was swinging. I don't care very much for heights." James breathed a sigh of relief.

"Well, Dumbledore just flooed me. Sirius should be here in a matter of minutes. Why don't you three come in for a spot of tea and wait for him." Putting an arm around Harry's shoulders James led them back inside.

Taking a seat at the kitchen table the three dug in to the tea, biscuits, and crumpets that were already awaiting them. James busied himself at the island and stove tidying up for Sirius's arrival.

"James!" he heard Sirius call from the living room.

"Kitchen." James replied just as loudly as his friend. Sirius came into the kitchen grinning. He waved a quick hello to the children before heading over to James.

"I'm going to take her to get settled in. I checked and her things are already there. We'll sit down with Moony and have a nice chat about all of this a little later on." James nodded.

"She and Harry can play while we have tea one day. They seem to be getting along let's hope it holds up though." Sirius agreed, "Oh, and Sirius, she's completely terrified of heights. She got on the swing set today and screamed when she thought she was in the air."

"I guess that means no flying then. Good thing her room is on the first floor." Sirius winked and walked over to the table. "Say goodbye Hermione it's time to get you settled in. But don't worry you'll be back tomorrow. Ron staying the night Harry?" Sirius asked. He shook his head.

"Nope, mum says I have to come home. We're having some big family dinner since Charlie and Bill are visiting for a few days." Ron said dejectedly. Sirius ruffled his hair.

"James!" Molly Weasley's voice could be heard ringing throughout the house.

"There's mum now." Ron whispered standing up from his chair. A plump woman entered the kitchen in the next moment. She had fiery red hair and rosy cheeks. Her bright blue eyes seemed to shimmer and a smile graced her full lips.

"Well, hello there dear," she said to Hermione, "Dumbledore has told me all about you. Of course you and Sirius are invited to dinner tonight, which I'm sure you'll accept. That goes for you James and Harry of course. If you see Remus invite him too. That boy needs a proper meal."

"Of course Molly." James said smiling, "Ron was just telling us how Bill and Charlie are home now." She nodded.

"Traveling to opposite ends of the earth all the time it's no wonder why they're so skinny. I'll do my best to fatten them up though before they leave. Dinner will be at seven boys. We'll be eating outside on the lawn. It's the only place big enough to hold all of us. Come along Ron. There's lots to do and your brothers have yet to see you since they've been home."

"See ya Harry. Nice meeting you Hermione." He said walking out of the kitchen ahead of his mother. Everyone heard them both call out 'the Burrow' and silence descended upon the house.

"And that Hermione was the force of nature known as Molly Weasley. Soon enough she'll be adopting you into the family. She has a daughter Ginny. Just a smidge younger than you I think." Sirius picked up all of Hermione's things from the counter and noticed Ron's forgotten packages. James smiled.

"I guess I'll take them with me when Harry and I show up for dinner." Sirius returned the smile.

"Hermione and I should leave so she has time to breathe a little before traipsing off to the Burrow for dinner. Are you ready?" Hermione nodded and stood. "Shall we leave then?"

"Good bye and thank you," Hermione said following Sirius out of the kitchen, she paused, looked back and smiled, "Uncle James." James smiled.

----99999----

Again Hermione tumbled out of the fireplace with Sirius not far behind her. She was beginning to hate traveling by floo. She was in a living room from which she could see clear across to the other side of the house. There was a dining room, then the kitchen. In front of her was a large window seat and a flight of stairs. Looking up she saw the banister of the balcony upstairs. A desk and bookshelf were the only furniture she could see from where she stood.

"Your room is through here," Sirius said leading her to the kitchen. There was an open door to the left. Sirius switched on the light and Hermione walked in. There was a canopy bed in the middle of the right wall. Her hope chest from home was under the window in front of her. A thick quilt her grandmother had made and a few pillows from the bed in her old house decorated it, turning it into a make-shift window seat. There was a desk next to it with a small lamp and parchment, a quill, and ink were already laid out. On the wall where the door that led to the bathroom was shelves lined the wall turning the wall into a bookshelf. Books filled the shelves, but cleverly interspersed were several pictures of her and her mother. On the wall next to the door and by the closet was a chest of drawers with a mirror hanging above it. Her hairbrush and her mother's perfume were set on top of it.

"It's lovely. Thank you very much." She said walking further into the room.

"Think nothing of it. You have your own bathroom of course and the kitchen's right here if you get hungry in the middle of the night. My room is just up the stairs and so is my study. James and Harry live across the street and four houses to the right if you ever want to visit and don't want to floo. Mrs. Graham lives next door. She's a nice old lady who likes to check in on me every now and then. Probably twice as much when she finds out about you. You don't have to unpack your clothes and school things right now if you don't want."

"I'd like to take a shower if you don't mind?" he made a strange face at her question then shook his head.

"Hermione this is your home now too. Don't feel the need to ask me if you're allowed to do simple activities. Now when you want to go out with boys that's another story." Sirius smiled.

"I'm eleven," she deadpanned, "boys won't interest me for at least another year or so and then I'll be far smarter and much more mature than any boy my age."

"Then I shan't worry."

"But there's always the older boys." She said raising her eyebrows and smiling.

"You're only eleven." He shot back trying to keep a grin from ruining the seriousness in his voice, "Go on then and get ready for dinner. Don't worry about wearing robes, your muggle clothing will do just fine."

Ottery St. Catchpole, England - The Burrow - August 1991

James and Harry had already arrived when Sirius and Hermione flooed into the living room of the Burrow. Molly shooed them out into the backyard where all Hermione saw was a sea of red hair. Harry and James stuck out like sore thumbs among all the Weasley's. Harry and Ron waved her over to where they were lounging by a tree. Hermione looked up to Sirius for permission and he nodded his head. She scampered off to join the boys and Sirius headed over to where James stood talking to Arthur and Bill.

"So," James asked as he took a sip from his glass, "how did it go?"

"Well enough all considered. She's been through quite a lot in the past few weeks. Dumbledore thinks that once she settles into a routine and gets used to us she'll stop being so damned formal." Sirius said taking an offered glass of lemonade from Arthur. Remus joined them then carrying his own glass Molly must have given him.

"She won't have too much time to settle in," Arthur commented, "Hogwarts starts in a little over two weeks."

"Is she an orphan?" Bill asked glancing over at the trio.

"No, it's a bit more disturbed than that. A couple years ago her mother married Lord Byron Nicholas."

"Wasn't he murdered a month ago?" Remus asked. Sirius nodded and took a long sip of his drink.

"Her mother is going to stand trial for doing it." He stated solemnly.

"But why?" James asked, "Why would she kill him?"

"It makes you wonder if Hermione knew why." Sirius asked looking at her as she played exploding snap with Harry and Ron. Did she know? Sirius wondered. Was she there? Did she see it? There were so many questions and Sirius was too scared to voice any of them, even to James.

"I suppose you should start to introduce her to everyone," Arthur suggested. Sirius nodded and after setting his almost empty glass down on the table he headed over to where Hermione was.

"Come on love, let's show you off to everyone now shall we." He said holding out his hand for her to take. She smiled and took his hand to pull herself up. "This might take a few moments there are quite a lot of them." He walked her back over to where he had been conversing earlier. Charlie had since joined the group. She clutched tightly at Sirius's hand as they drew nearer. "Don't worry they'll love you. This is Hermione," he said when they arrived, "that's Arthur he's the father of every red head you see in the yard." Arthur laughed.

"Yes, there are quite a lot of them. Sirius tells me that you're muggle born." Hermione nodded her head not sure if this was good or bad. "Then you must simply tell me everything there is to know about muggles." The group laughed before Bill got her attention.

"Dad has an unhealthy obsession with everything muggle. I'm Bill by the way, the oldest of the bunch."

"Ron said you worked at a bank in Africa." Hermione said as she tried to remember all the names of the Weasley brothers that Ron had given her.

"You make it sound so boring though," Bill said good naturedly, "I work for the bank, I'm a curse breaker. Charlie, however, probably has the more exciting job."

"You work in Romania with dragons, right?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, I do. I suppose Ron told you all about everyone." She nodded, but still held tight to Sirius's handed. "If you want I can introduce you to the twins and Percy. We might even be able to find Ginny somewhere around here." Hermione looked up to Sirius and he smiled down at her releasing her hand.

"Go on Hermione." She nodded her head before turning to the others.

"It was a pleasure to meet you." Following Charlie she went off to another section of the yard where a teenage boy sat with what looked to be like homework. Identical twins were sneaking up behind him with a giant green frog.

"Oi," Charlie called before the twins got close enough to drop it on the unsuspecting boy, "come on over here and meet someone." The twins looked up with innocent expressions on their faces ready to explain the frog when they caught sight of Hermione. Grinning one of them covered the frog completely with his opposite hand and the two started toward Charlie and Hermione, Percy not far behind.

"Hi I'm George," said the twin on the right.

"I'm Fred." The boy on the left said. He was the one with the frog Hermione noted before he shoved his hands down in her face and let the frog show. "Do you like frogs?" he asked. Instead of shrieking and running away like the twins had hoped Hermione grinned and took the frog from him.

"Is it alright if I keep him?" she asked petting him as he croaked.

"Uh," Fred stuttered.

"Yeah, sure." George finished.

"I'm Hermione. Sirius is my new guardian." She explained still petting the frog.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Hermione. I'm Percy Weasley." Charlie hid a smile behind his hand.

"She already knows."

"That you're a Weasley."

"Hello Percy." Hermione said ignoring the antics of the twins. "Do you think Sirius will let me keep him?" she asked looking at Charlie.

"Name him first and then ask Sirius."

"That's what Ginny always does." Hermione thought for a moment at the twins answer.

"Fred." She said

"Yes?" he piped up.

"No, I'm naming the frog Fred. He looks like a Fred doesn't he?" she asked innocently turning the frog to face him. Charlie laughed loudly and patted Hermione on the back.

"Come on little one; let's see if Ginny is in the kitchen with mum." Hermione followed Charlie to the house where they entered through the kitchen door. A small girl with long fiery red hair stood at the sink peeling potatoes while Mrs. Weasley magically pulled the roast from the oven. She turned and smiled when she saw her son and Hermione. "I wanted to introduce Hermione to Ginny." He explained before Molly could ask any questions. Ginny turned around when she heard her name. "Gin this is Hermione. She's going to start living with Sirius."

"Are you going to Hogwarts with Ron and Harry?" she asked excitedly wiping her hands on her dress.

"Yes, I'll be going with them. I just got all of my things today."

"That's so exciting," Ginny told her putting the last peeled potato into the bowl for her mother. "I wish I was going, but I still have to wait another year." Tears began forming in her eyes and Hermione tried to figure out something to say to comfort the younger girl.

"I'm sure the year will fly by and plus I'm sure it's not all that exciting. It is just school. There'll be tons of homework and classes and you'll just be wishing you were right back at home anyway." Hermione told her sensibly. Ginny wiped at her eyes and nodded in agreement.

"Alright you two go on out and play with the others." Mrs. Weasley told them giving Hermione a grateful smile. Squealing happily at being released from helping her mother, Ginny tore off her apron, grabbed Hermione's hand and ran out of the kitchen.

Dinner with the Weasley's lasted well into the night. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were all beginning to doze at the table and Ginny had been sent to bed well over an hour ago when the adults deemed it time to head home.

"Oh go on and just let Harry stay the night here. I can send both the boys over tomorrow when they've had their rest." Mrs. Weasley told James. He nodded his thanks as Sirius scooped Hermione up into his arms. Her eyes fluttered open for a brief moment and when she realized it was only Sirius she fell right back to sleep. Charlie and Bill had picked up Ron and Harry and were already heading into the house.

"See you tomorrow, Sirius." James said with a wave before apparating home. Remus did the same.

"Guess I'm going to have to get used to traveling by floo again." Sirius commented to Arthur. He chuckled.

"The joys of children my friend. The joys of children."

St. Levan, England - Godric's Hollow - The Cottage - August 1991

Hermione spent most of the morning unpacking. She left her bedroom door open in order to let the sweet aroma of Sirius's cooking fill her bedroom. He had a muggle radio playing as he cooked and she soon found herself dancing as she organized her bookshelf.

"Hermione," Sirius said standing at her door watching her place the last book on her shelf, "you have more books than clothes." She looked up at him from where she was sitting on the floor.

"They're more important." She informed him. He smiled and shook his head.

"If you're sure you have enough clothes I won't talk about it again. Lunch is ready if you're hungry." Sirius offered. She stood and followed him to the kitchen table.

"I think I have enough. Besides I'll have a uniform at school anyway. Won't I?" Sirius nodded in answer to her question.

"That you will little one." They each take a seat so they are sitting across from one another. Silence surrounds them at first while Sirius tried to decide how to ask some of the more delicate questions he has for her. "Hermione," He began and she looked up from her sandwich, eyes wide. "I'd like to ask some things, but I don't want you to feel as if you have to answer them. If there's anything you'd rather not tell me just say so, okay?"

"Okay." Hermione said after swallowing a bite of her sandwich.

"How old were you when your mother remarried?" Hermione seemed to relax a little at the question. It wasn't going to be as difficult as she was letting herself think.

"Ten. It was about a year and a half ago. Do you know how they met?" She asked Sirius taking a small bite. He shook his head, waiting for her to continue. "The museum. I got lost and he waited with me at the front desk. He always went on about how beautiful she was and how he would never let her go." Hermione sighed.

"Did you like him?" She shrugged.

"In the beginning he was really nice. He always bought me things, but I was happy with just mum and me." There was a short pause before Sirius decided to ask another question.

"I suppose not much is known about your biological father." It wasn't really a question, but Sirius did not want Hermione to feel as if he was prying. He was just hoping to get to know her; after all she might be living with him for quite some time.

"He died when I was baby. Some sort of accident. My mum never talked about him so you're right. I don't know much about my biological father."

"You know I had to go live with a foster family when I was a teenager." Sirius told her figuring it was high time he confide in her as she was in him. Hermione's eyes widened slightly.

"Really?" She whispered. Sirius nodded.

"I moved in with James and his parents. My own were bloody awful. Both dead now thank Merlin. When I ran away from home I lived in the streets of Diagon Alley for awhile, but Dumbledore found out somehow. He asked James' parents if they would mind taking me in. I've never seen Mrs. Potter so upset with me. She gave me a nice long lecture on how I should have come to them sooner and how I was always welcome at their home." Sirius took a deep breath and looked at Hermione. "I want you to know that the same goes for you. You are always welcome here no matter what. Understand?" Hermione nodded her head.

"Thank you, Sirius."

"I know that we don't know each other particularly well, but I am hoping that will change." Hermione nodded again and a small smile graced her face. "Alright then," Sirius said grinning back at her, "enough of all of this then. Let's get you out of the house. James ended up going into work today so how do you feel about going to the Burrow for the day?"

"That sounds fun." Sirius picked up both of their plates and carried them over to the sink.

The next couple of weeks were spent divided between Lily Manor and the Burrow. Harry, Ron, and Hermione became nearly inseparable as they spent their days exploring the town of Ottery St. Catchpole or learning to ride muggle bikes in Godric's Hollow. When the day finally dawned to board the Hogwarts Express Hermione found herself for the first time in her life not wanting to go to school. She lay in bed a good half hour after her alarm had gone off pondering ways to keep from going. She thought of things from hiding under the bed to feigning a deadly illness. Finally, the time came when Sirius knocked on her door to see if she was up and getting ready.

"Come in," she called out in answer to his soft knock. Sirius opened the door to find Hermione still snuggled under her blanket.

"Sleeping in are we?" he asked ruefully.

"I think I'd rather like to put off going to school for another year. There's still much to learn in the muggle world you know. I've barely even started learning mathematics or science." Hermione said reasonably.

"Ah, well of course." Sirius said feigning agreement. He took a seat on the edge of her bed, looking at her seriously. "But then you would be behind in learning the things of the wizarding world. That doesn't sound very practical now does it?"

"Well, I figure I'll be behind anyway seeing as how I'm a muggle born so what's another year."

"I see. If that's the way you want it I suppose I can have a word with Dumbledore." Sirius sighed and stood up, turning to head for the door. "It's such a shame though that you'll be here all alone without Harry or Ron to keep you company except for winter holidays, but even then I'm sure they'll be swamped with homework and will have no time to play."

"I hadn't thought of that." Hermione whispered truthfully. "I suppose then I could give it a go." Sirius made sure to hide the smile on his face as he turned back towards her.

"I suppose so, but only if you feel it the best thing to do."

"I couldn't very well let them go off and get themselves into who knows how much trouble. They're going to need someone to keep an eye on them." Hermione said throwing back her covers and climbing out of bed.

"That's very thoughtful of you. I'll let you get dressed and I'll go ahead and take care of your trunk now. Are you going to take Fred with you?" he asked indicating the aquarium on her desk that held the frog the twins had given her.

"No, I wouldn't want to leave you all alone. You two can keep each other company."

"Oh well thank you very much." Sirius smiled at her before whisking the trunk out of the room in front of him. "You have twenty minutes." He said pulling the door shut behind him.

The morning rushed by for Hermione and before she realized it she was sitting in a compartment on the train with Harry, Ron, and Remus.

"How long have you been teaching at Hogwarts Uncle Remus?" Hermione asked. It wasn't until they were boarding the train and Remus had followed her on that she had found out he taught Defense Against the Dark Arts.

"Oh, just a few years after the end of the war. Dumbledore's the only one willing to employ an evil werewolf." he said grinning.

"You're not evil." All three of them chorused.

"Thank you, but I am afraid not all feel as you three do. Now, I suggest you all get settled down as it's a bit of a journey."

For a while the three of them chatted away while Remus dozed off and on in his seat. Soon they each grew drowsy as well. They were awakened by Remus in order to change into their uniforms as they were drawing near to the school.

As the train came to a stop Remus saw them out to Hagrid before bidding them farewell.

"I'll see you at the sorting. Stick together and watch out for each other." Remus waved and left them in the capable, albeit large, hands of Hagrid.

"This way first years." Hagrid called out as he led them to the edge of a grand lake. There were small boats waiting to carry them across the lake and toward the looming castle on the other shore. Harry, Ron, and Hermione climbed into one of the boats and were joined shortly thereafter by a plump boy who introduced himself as Neville. Speculation as to what would happen in order to determine house placement soon overtook any other topic of conversation. Ron swore that the twins said some sort of duel was involved. When the boats finally docked and they were all safely on dry ground a teacher greeted them and began to explain what was about to take place.

"I am Professor McGonagall, Deputy Headmistress and Head of Gryffindor House. We will proceed with the sorting and once sorted will dine with your house at the correct table. If you'll follow me." She opened two very large doors behind her and led the students in lines of two into the great hall. All eyes were on them as they marched to the front of the hall where a stool sat with a rather dilapidated looking hat on it.

"That's all." Ron whispered to Harry rather disappointed when the first student had been sorted. Harry shrugged feeling the same disappointment as his best friend. Hermione was the first of the trio to be called as her last name came before both of theirs in the alphabet. Harry and Ron both cheered loudly for Hermione when the hat shouted out Gryffindor. Grinning madly she nearly skipped to the Gryffindor table where she was greeted enthusiastically by the twins. It really was no surprise when Harry and Ron were both sorted into Gryffindor as well, though that did nothing to prevent the deafening cheers from those at the table.