Unofficial Portkey Archive

Not Always Right by DarthMittens
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Not Always Right

DarthMittens

A/N: Just to let you know, this is going to be a short one-only two chapters.

Enjoy!

Not Always Right

Chapter 1 - The Break-Up

December 18, 1998

19-year-old Hermione Granger carefully concealed her emotions from her boyfriend of a little over a year, Harry Potter.

The two had started dating in October of their 7th year at Hogwarts, after confessing their mutual love for each other. Everyone could tell how much they loved each other-they were all sure that the two would raise a family and grow old together. They were just so…perfect together-they were made for each other.

But things weren't as perfect as they seemed. As a matter of fact, Hermione was more pissed off at Harry right now than she had ever been at anyone in her whole life. Harry had been growing more and more distant with her over the past month, and she was sure that he was preparing to break it off.

They were sitting in a fancy muggle restaurant right now, and Harry's general behavior seemed to confirm her suspicion that he was going to end it tonight. He was sweating and shaking, which definitely showed that he was afraid. He was also clutching something in his pocket, which Hermione assumed was his wand just in case she hexed him in retaliation. As if I'd use magic in a muggle restaurant, she thought to herself.

All Hermione knew was that she wasn't going to let Harry end this-she was going to finish it on her terms. He was going to break her heart, but she wasn't going to go down quietly.

Harry pulled his hand out of his pocket and brought it to his lap, then said, "I want to tell you something important, Hermione."

This is it, Hermione thought as she used her anger to temporarily beat down the pain in her heart. "No, I have something important to tell you, Harry," she growled.

Harry flinched, taken aback, and asked, "Hermione?"

"I'm done, I've had it." Harry blinked. "You're an annoying, miserable little piece of filth that I wished I had never gone out with. And I never loved you; you were just a pathetic teenage crush. You're a giant douchebag, and I hope you never speak to me again."

Harry wasn't breathing as his eyes roamed her face and settled on her eyes as if to test the validity of her statement. Hermione grinned smugly, her heart throbbing, happy to have caused him at least a fraction of the pain that he had caused her. Hermione stood up, dropped her napkin on her plate, left the restaurant, then apparated to her parents' house, where she proceeded to fill her childhood bedroom with anguished sobs.

2 Years Later - December 18, 2000

21-year-old Hermione Granger sighed before apparating to the Burrow for Sunday dinner. She hated the things, because Molly always tried to set her up with someone.

Just as she had asked, Harry hadn't spoken to her once since the break-up. One day she got home from work and all of her possessions, which had been in Harry's house, were packed neatly in boxes stacked in her room. Two weeks later, Ginny had informed Hermione, that Harry had moved to the states.

It took Hermione six months to move on, and when she did, she and Ron gave it a go. They broke it off a few months later and remained good friends. She had gone on a multitude of dates since then, but none of the guys lasted more than two. They were all…missing something, but Hermione didn't know what-she just knew that nothing would ever happen.

It's because you're still in love with Harry, cackled an evil voice in Hermione's head.

She hated to admit it, but the evil voice was right. She had been in love with Harry since she was 13, and not even the fact that he had broken her heart and she hadn't seen him for two years had changed that. She knew deep down that the 'something missing' with all of her dates was that they weren't Harry. She hated herself for being so weak-why couldn't she get over him?

Everything other than her love life was going great for Hermione. She had quit her job with the release of her first novel, a fantasy work that was a best-seller in both the magical and muggle worlds. She was currently working on the sequel, and she had purchased a nice two-story house in Godric's Hollow. Seeing the wreckage of Harry's home sometimes reminded her of him and the pain he had caused her, but other than that she really loved the place.

Hermione knocked on the front door of the Burrow, and Molly hugged her and smiled at her. "Oh, Hermione. The greatest thing has happened! You'll never believe who's here!"

Hermione followed Molly into the dining room, intrigued. There was the familiar sea of red hair, along with…messy, raven-colored hair.

Hermione's breathing quickened and her fists and stomach clenched as her eyes took in Harry's features for the first time in two years. He was a little more muscular and a tad more tan than when she last saw him, and he no longer wore glasses.

"What is he doing here?" she asked no one in particular.

Molly's smile faltered, but then came back full force as she said, "Harry's moving back here, isn't that great? He already has a place in London!"

Harry suddenly stood up, not taking his narrowed eyes off Hermione, and said, "I should leave. I didn't know she would be coming."

He started putting on his coat, and Molly deflated as the rest of the Weasleys awkwardly watched the unfolding drama. "You two…I understand that you had a falling out, but…"

Hermione was about to respond angrily, but Harry beat her to the punch. "Molly, she broke my heart. That's a little more than a 'falling out.'"

Hermione rounded on Harry, livid. "Excuse me! Broke your heart? You completely destroyed me, Harry!"

Harry turned to a frightened-looking Ron and calmly said, "Will you please remind Hermione that she broke up with me, and not the other way around?"

The silence grew more awkward and tense, and Harry struggled a bit as he put on his coat. "Yeah," Hermione said defensively, "but you were going to break up with me first!"

Harry's hands trembled a bit as he finished buttoning his coat. He turned to the Weasleys and said, "I'm sorry," before walking toward the door, which was Hermione's direction. As her passed her, her breathed the first words he had spoken to her in two years. "Who the hell said anything about breaking up with you?" And with that, he was gone, leaving a confused Hermione standing in the Weasleys' dining room.

There was a stunned silence following Harry's departure. Hermione finally broke it, quietly saying, "I should go, too. Sorry." She apparated straight to her bedroom, where she sat down on the edge of her bed, deep in thought.

What did he mean, 'who the hell said anything about breaking up with you?' she thought to herself. As she sat there thinking, it finally dawned on her. He was trying to place all the blame on her just to get back at her.

Ginny suddenly appeared in Hermione's bedroom, looking impatient. "You're going to tell me what happened with Harry, and you're going to tell me now."

Hermione had refused to tell anyone what had happened with Harry, and she hesitated before finally telling Ginny.

"Harry never mentioned spending time apart?" asked Ginny for clarification once Hermione finished her story.

"No, but it was quite obvious."

"So you assumed that was the case and said some pretty horrible things to him," said Ginny with a raised eyebrow.

"Look," said Hermione exasperatedly. "I'm not saying that I broke up with him in the best way, but I wanted to end it on my terms."

"Hermione," said Ginny sadly. "You're really smart-the smartest person I know. But…you aren't always right." Ginny sighed one last time before apparating away.

You aren't always right…you aren't always right…Ginny's words seemed to reverberate in Hermione's head.

Suddenly, Hermione felt the urge to know what was going through Harry's head at the moment they broke up. She began to doubt herself. What important thing was he going to tell her? Was he really about to break up with her?

There was a knock on the door, and Hermione sighed, went downstairs, and answered it. It was Harry. "We need to talk," he said simply.

Hermione folded her arms over her chest. "Talk about what?"

"Why you thought I was going to break up with you. I have to know."

"You were getting distant with me, and that night, you were sweating and shaking, like you were scared," Hermione explained. "If you weren't breaking up with me," said Hermione skeptically, "then what the hell was that?"

Harry suddenly stiffened and shook his head. "That's what I thought," said Hermione smugly. "So you were-"

"No," said Harry quietly.

"Then what?" asked Hermione impatiently.

"I'm not going to tell you, but I wasn't going to break up with me."

"Tell me," Hermione snapped.

"I just said no!" yelled Harry, his voice raising.

"Tell me, goddammit! What had you so scared?" shouted Hermione.

Harry yelled, "I want to see YOU not be scared when you're about to propose to somebody! I was distant with you because I was too busy trying to find the perfect way to propose! But I'm glad you told me what you really thought of me, that really made me feel great!"

A stunned Hermione stared up at a fuming Harry, then her face screwed up and she let out a choked sob. "Thanks," said Harry coolly. "I got what I came for."

"Harry, wait!" He stopped, glaring at her. "I-I didn't mean what I said," Hermione said desperately.

"Whatever," Harry sneered. "You still said it. I've heard you say you never loved me in my head every second of the last two years of my life." And with a crack, he was gone.

Hermione went back up to her bedroom as she hyperventilated and futilely tried to fight off tears. What had she done! She drove away Harry, the best thing that had ever happened to her, because she assumed that she was correct in her assumptions!

Hermione screamed into her pillow as she realized that she had done this to herself, it was her fault that she had been miserable for two years, and if she had just kept her big trap shut, she and Harry would've been married by now!

She finally cried herself to sleep in the early hours of the morning. Unbeknownst to her, a young man that had just moved back to London had done something similar.

A/N: Poor Hermione, and poor Harry! I know it seems bad for them right now, but like I always say: Always keep faith for Harry and Hermione!

Love me, hate me, praise me, flame me-it's all good, I'd really like to know what you think!