Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Big Day by starwberry_nerd
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Big Day

starwberry_nerd

This wedding is set in the story "Balancing Debts" by Xelan and has been approved by him and is considered canon in his story. Unfortunately, since I don't own Harry Potter, it's not considered canon in the actual books

=/\=

The day was overcast and the American pair were exceptionally tired from their long trip. Both wanted little more than to find someplace where they could get food, a hot shower and sleep in more or less than order.

At the same time, the female of the pair was trying very hard not to be the sort of tourist that made natives shake their heads or laugh. But with how eager she was to take pictures even with how tired she obviously was, she was failing. Her companion walked a few paces behind her, a smile on his face at her behavior.

Suddenly the woman paused, as if she had been shocked.

"Jen, what's wrong?" he asked.

"That's Harry Potter!" she hissed, gesturing subtly across the street. He glanced over and raised a brow as he caught sight of a scrawny kid with messy black hair and a brunette girl with equally wild brown hair. They looked like they were talking about something important.

"I'm going to say hi," Jen declared but her boyfriend grabbed her arm before she could cross the street.

"Jen, I really doubt the kid wants to be bugged by a tourist wanting an autograph," he pointed out.

"Michael!" Jen snapped, sounding scandalized, "I wouldn't do that! I mean, it's not like he's Nathan Fillion or someone like that."

Her expression became softer.

"I just wanted to say thank you," she said, "My cousin was in England when the bastard was at the height of his power and if he wasn't stopped then Bridget probably wouldn't be alive."

Michael nodded and together the two crossed the street.

"Excuse me, Mr. Potter?" Jen asked and both of the two scowled at her. She thought she heard the brunette mutter something about fan girls and felt vaguely affronted. Michael though noted that the pair had instantly reached for their wands.

"I just wanted to say thank you," Jen said, "Thanks to you and your mother my cousin lived, so thank you."

Michael felt a little annoyed at the gob smacked expressions on the pairs' faces. Didn't they ever hear anyone say thank you?

He saw the two exchange glances and Jen smiled. For a moment the younger pair reminded her of her grandparents.

"Would you mind helping us with something?" the brunette girl asked.

"Probably," Michael answered for the American pair, "Depends on what it is. What's your name anyway?"

"Hermione Granger," the girl introduced herself, "And Harry and I want to get married."

"Congratulations!" Jen cheered, "I'm sure you'll be very happy together."

"Aren't you a little young to get married?" Michael asked, looking doubtful. Jen looked at the pair and did a bit of mental math. She was unconsciously a little shocked to realize that the two were probably at least three years younger than herself.

"No," Hermione said firmly, a frown on her face, "We're both of age. We're marrying here because of expediency. It's a bit dangerous right now so a more public wedding could get us killed and I'm not waiting any longer."

"It's not like they're any younger than us when we first got together," Jen hissed to her boyfriend and he nodded and let the issue drop.

"There's a problem though," Harry said, speaking for the first time, "We need witnesses."

"Don't you have any friends?" Michael asked and Jen gasped and elbowed him.

"That was rude," Jen hissed to him. Hermione was glaring too while Harry looked contemplative.

"Sort of," Harry said at last, "At least I think we have friends, but most of them are trapped right now by the local dark lord and those that aren't, well, I'm not too sure they're really our friends."

"Wow," Jen said, "That sucks."

Michael shot his girlfriend a look. First she got onto him for being rude and now she was going to be that blunt?

She shrugged in return and he rolled his eyes and returned his attention to the British celebrity and his fiancée.

"So you need witnesses for your wedding?" Michael brought them back to the original topic.

"Yes," Hermione confirmed, "We have a time with the priest and we have the rings but we need at least two people, preferably magical, to act as witnesses."

"Oh!" Jen gasped, "Can I call myself your bridesmaid?"

Hermione looked at her with a bemused expression.

"If you like," she said with a shrug, "You can even be the maid of honor if you like."

Jen squealed with joy.

"Awesome!" she cheered, "But you said that you have a priest and rings, no dress? Or cake?"

The two British born wizards shook their heads. Jen smiled and pulled out her wand. Michael saw the way the two tensed and moved to reach for his own wand.

"Don't worry," Jen said with a laugh, "I may not be the fashion happy person my sister is but I know enough to play fairy godmother."

Together the four went into the small church that was unnoticed by muggle eyes.

Jen followed Hermione while Michael left with Harry.

"What's your name anyway?" Hermione asked while she dug through her bag and Jen saw her bring out a brush.

"I'm Jennifer, and the guy with Harry is my boyfriend, Michael," Jen answered and she took the brush from Hermione.

"Here, I'm your maid of honor, let me do my job," Jen insisted.

The room for the wedding was small, but then the original enchantments meant to hide it from well meaning, or not so well meaning, relatives or friends intent to stop an eloping couple, were only capable of hiding a small room. As spells improved, tradition had kept the owners of the building from expanding the room, even with magic. There were a pair of folding chairs in front of a small podium. Garlands of honeysuckle and roses decorated the room. But the overwhelming scents of the flowers was the last thing on the mind of the bride and groom.

Jen tried not to look too smug when she saw the look on Harry's face when Hermione first came into view.

She hadn't had much to work with when it came to clothes. All of the clothes Hermione had with her were dirty and worn and Jen had to admit that few of her things were much better. Neither witch wanted to waste too much magic on something frivolous but Jen was insistent that Hermione would have an appropriate dress. In the end together they pieced together the right sort of outfit to be the base of the dress the young witch bride now wore.

It was a rather modest gown with an empire waist, cap sleeves and a demure square neckline. The skirt of the white silk dress had been decorated with a layer of ivory lace. Hermione's hair had been gathered up and twisted into an elegant sort of style and she had chosen to forgo any sort of veil. Instead a crown of white roses decorated her wild brown locks. Under the edge of her floor length hem peeped a pair of blue satin pumps, borrowed from her maid of honor and enchanted to fit. Though the outfit was rather understated, it suited her. She carried a small bouquet of conjured roses and lilies. The young bride was almost glowing with joy as she walked down the miniscule aisle towards her husband to be.

Her groom looked just as happy in his own transfigured finery, though Jen had to blink when she looked at him. While Hermione was only almost glowing, Harry really was! It was faint but there was definitely a glow around the young wizard.

"Ahem," the priest there to perform the ceremony cleared his throat and brought everyone's attention to himself.

"Now, we are gathered here today to join these two young people in holy matrimony," the priest began. Jen tried not to giggle.

"Normally I would have the pair of you go through at least one session of marriage counseling, in preparation for the seriousness of what you are about to do," the priest cautioned them, "but after reading your vows, I believe that you have the right idea."

Jen looked at Hermione but the bride said nothing, neither did her still gleaming groom.

"Now, let's get on with it," The priest went on, "Do you, Harry James Potter, take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife? Will you love her, comfort her, honor, and keep her, in sickness and in health; and forsaking all others, keep only unto her until time ends?"

"I will," Harry said firmly. Jen bit her tongue to keep herself from cooing.

"And do you, Hermione Jane Granger, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband?" the priest asked, "Will you love him, comfort him, honor, and keep him, in sickness and in health; and forsaking all others, keep only unto him until time ends?"

"Yes!" Hermione said proudly.

"You may now read your vows," the priest informed them, "Harry, you may begin."

Harry looked at Hermione squarely and took her hands in his.

"Hermione, I love you," Harry began, "I know that I've been a prat and I'm going to spend the rest of my life thanking everything good that you picked me anyway and I'll work on being the man that you deserve. I love you and I swear on my magic and my life that I want to be with you and only you for the rest of this life and all of the next and forever after that. I can only hope that whatever greater power is up there will let us stay together and if not then I will fight death if I have to in order to stay with you because I'm not going to any great reward until you're ready to be there by my side."

The glow around Harry increased and both Jen and Michael had to squint.

"Harry, I love you," Hermione began, "You're my best friend and I've loved you for as long as I can remember. I'm so happy that you chose me that I can't think of the words to express the magnitude of how I feel about it. I swear on my magic that I want to be with you and only you for the rest of this life and all of the next and forever after that. I swear that nothing, not even death will part my soul from yours, so mote it be."

Now Hermione really was glowing and for what felt like an eternity but was in reality only a moment, the whole room was filled with a bright white light.

"Then, through the power vested in me," the priest continued though Jen was fairly certain that he, like the rest of them, was still blinded from the light show, "I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride."

The American girl couldn't really see what was going on but she whooped and cheered as if she could and heard Michael clapping for the pair.

After the ceremony they went to a nearby bistro and shared a cake. They talked for a little while, got to know each other a bit. Jen took their pictures before the conjured and transfigured finery returned to its less than glamorous natural state.

"It was nice meeting you," Jen said happily as they prepared to part.

"It was an honor," Michael agreed, "And thanks for letting us help out."

"Where are you going next?" Jen asked.

"To the goblins," Hermione replied, "We think they have something that might help us in our mission."

"That and Hermione deserves a decent honeymoon so I need to go to the bank," Harry added with a grin. Jen and Michael both laughed at how red Hermione's face suddenly became.

"Good luck," Michael said earnestly, "Though since things are apparently a lot worse than I realized I'm afraid that we're going to have to take the coward's way out and get my boss to let me cut this trip short."

The American pair saw the brief disgust and disappointment flash in the eyes of the other two and Michael frowned. Before he could say anything Jen broke in.

"I'm pregnant," she said bluntly and reveled in the surprise of the two.

"I'm a little over a month along and Michael and I want to get home to the states so we can be married with our families around us," Jen explained and smiled as Michael wrapped his arms around her, a hand splayed protectively over her abdomen.

"And we're not going to put our baby in danger," Michael added.

"I understand," Harry said and Jen smiled at the wistful expression on the faces of the newlywed.

"You'll be okay," Michael said firmly, "You'll beat this bastard and all the fools who don't think you should be together."

"Yeah," Jen chimed, "After all, if you don't then how can you invite us to your real wedding ceremony? The one where Hermione can be given away by her father and you have your true friends standing as the best man and maid of honor."

Hermione and Harry both smiled.

"Thank you," Harry said firmly.

With that, the two pairs separated.

Several months later, a heavily pregnant and slightly bored Jen received a letter via owl. She squeaked and almost fell over. When her husband arrived home he was both amused and slightly concerned by Jen's sudden fit of frenzy.

"Jen what the," he began but she shoved a letter in his face.

"Read," she demanded. Michael took the cream paper and read the golden script aloud.

Mr. Daniel Horatio Granger and Mrs. Emma Helen Granger

Request the honor of your presence

At the marriage of their daughter

Hermione Jane Granger

To

Lord Harry James Potter

On June 26th in the Great Hall of

Hogwarts at 10:00

Jen squealed again and Michael sighed but with a smile he went to check his calendar and tried to see if they could get the time off and if they could scrape together the money for a pair of tickets to England. They had another wedding to attend.

=/\=

And there you have it, the wedding scene for "Balancing Debts" and a little more beside. There is a strong possibility that I'll write Harry and Hermione's renewal of their vows and probably a very good chance that I'll create weddings for other characters too, if you have any suggestions or requests please feel free to tell me!

-->