Unofficial Portkey Archive

Return to Sender by romulus lupin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Return to Sender

romulus lupin

RETURN TO SENDER

Disclaimer: Not mine, make no money from it, can't even *make* money from it.

And the beat goes on ...

Chapter Eleven. Prophecy

Poppy Pomfrey caught Severus Snape as he swayed drunkenly, looking paler than he'd ever been. Amelia Bones, however, had her wand jammed at Sirius Black's jaw, forcing the man to clench his mouth tight even as the Head Auror threw an icy glare at Remus Lupin.

"Quiet, both of you. I don't know what you think you know, but we're going to get to the bottom of this. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" The two young men nodded fearfully - they may be experienced fighters but Amelia, who'd been in charge of Auror School when they went through - had handed them their bruised asses and battered egos more than enough times for the lesson to sink in.

All eyes turned to Minerva, however, as she stood tall while addressing Snape: "You're Dumbledore's man, aren't you?" She gave a wintry smile at Snape's surprised look, "I had to pin Albus to the wall to explain to me why he'd given a young man with no teaching experience the post of Potions professor and head of Slytherin house.

"You may have your mastery, Mr Snape - but it was gained via apprenticeship, not one where teaching others is a requirement to gaining one. He started off with his `I trust Severus with my life' speech but I refused to accredit you … he finally admitted that you were his spy in You-Know-Who's ranks and he needed you close."

Severus Snape nodded, relieved that someone at least knew what he'd been doing for Dumbledore. He was between a rock and a hard place - it was his information, after all, that had led to the Dark Lord's demise … as well as led HIM to target the Potters.

Black and Lupin would kill him for the latter; the Death Eaters would flay him alive for what happened to their Master … he could have kept his mouth shut but Lily's child had to be protected. It was the least he could do for Lily …

His head snapped up as McGonagall addressed him: "As Deputy Headmistress and acting Headmistress, I'm offering you asylum within Hogwarts. You'll be safe within these grounds, until we can make a proper determination of what to do with ye."

He realized that while McGonagall was addressing him, she had locked eyes with the Minister of Magic whose fair skin was darkening as she listened to her old friend. The two formidable women stared at each other for a long moment before the Minister broke off first.

"It's your call, Minnie," the Minister said, ignoring the shocked looks of the others who would never ever imagine calling the redoubtable Minerva McGonagall that.

"Thank you, ma'am … but no." Eyes snapped back to Snape, who was standing tall in his corner, his dark eyes clearly conveying his shame, fear, and soul-searing pain. "I… I've done, done things that no man or woman should do to … to … gain this," he raised his arm to show the faded Mark. "You … it cannot … you have to do things willingly, of your own free will, both to gain the Dark Lord's acceptance - and for this thing to be branded and bound to you."

He took a deep breath, closing his eyes as he continued. "Murder is the preferred method … muggle or wizard, it doesn't matter. Torture before killing gets you noticed faster …"

He opened his eyes and they involuntarily stepped back at the cold hatred they could see there. "I chose my father … it was payment for the years of pain he'd inflicted on me and my mother … I made him pay for every slap, every kick, every hit with his fucking belt and buckle. Not just for me but for my mother … and … my unborn siblings …"

A heavy silence permeated the Hospital Wing as those in the room stared at the harshly breathing young man. Minerva, Flitwick and Pomfrey were appalled - they'd dealt with Snape the student for years, and never once caught a hint of his suffering. They'd always seen him as an angry, vicious and vindictive young man - and had dismissed it all because of the House he'd been sorted to.

Flitwick and McGonagall glanced at each other. True, they had their own houses to look out for - which meant they had, unthinkingly perhaps, gone along with the bitter rivalries that had surfaced in the past decade or so. The thought hit Minerva hard - she'd allowed herself to get caught up in those rivalries, allowing James and his friends to constantly prank the other houses … sure, it had been in fun most times, but the attacks on Slytherin - and Snape in particular - had bordered on viciousness.

She'd taken points off, true; assigned detentions when warranted, yes - but had always tried to walk `a fine line' because those attacks had always been answered with retaliation from the snakes …

She shook her head. Even then, she thought, she was a teacher first and foremost … she knew better - she glanced at the Minister and lowered her head in shame. They'd both been close friends with Dorea Black - a Slytherin princess if there ever was one - but their rivalries had never gone beyond the pale and they were all the best of friends … unlike those here, now, who would be more comfortable cursing each other than having a drink together (after checking the drinks for potions or poisons, of course).

Sirius Black and Remus Lupin were also gaping at the visibly shaken Severus Snape - mortal enemy, prank target, all-around git. They'd never liked the spiteful Slytherin but then again, they'd never looked beyond Houses and robes to see the man beneath. Sirius, in particular, was in pain - Snape's words brought back all the suffering he'd undergone at the hands of his demented mother when he'd refused to toe the line and follow in her insane beliefs of purity … Snape's words about belts and buckles in particular struck a chord in him - he'd gone through the same, although probably less, at the hands of his bitch of a mother …

"Have you done anything else beyond that, Mr Snape?" Amelia Bones' cold, dispassionate voice broke them out of their thoughts - and they looked at Snape who was shaking his head.

"It was enough to earn me this, ma'am," Snape replied as he gestured at his Dark Mark. "I joined a few raids but spent most of my time brewing potions for the Dark Lord and his people. I threw a few torture and killing curses around - always aiming for walls or animals …"

He sighed. "I'll gladly submit to Veritaserum questioning and even Legilimency if you feel the need."

Amelia Bones looked at Minister Bagnold, who nodded. "Severus Snape, as Minister of Magic, I'm granting your request for asylum at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, subject to the following conditions. One, you're to consider yourself under house arrest and confined to the grounds of the school. Second, you'll place yourself under the orders of Acting Headmistress Minerva McGonagall. Third, you'll submit yourself to Veritaserum questioning by Head Auror Amelia Bones at a time to be determined."

She looked around at the others, and nodded at their tacit acceptance. "So mote it be."

The ensuing silence was broken by Sirius Black's soft voice: "Snape … I …"

"Save it, Black." Snape shook his head at his sharp retort. "Later … what we've done to each other is still too fresh … another time, perhaps."

"All right. Even then …" Sirius spoke in a formal tone, "I, Sirius Orion Black, hereby apologize from the bottom of my heart for all the pain, insults and other wrong doing I have inflicted on the person, name and reputation of Severus Snape. I say this in the hope that I be forgiven for the reckless and thinking actions of my youth but accept that forgiveness will be long in coming but something that I can only hope for.

"So mote it be."

Snape looked at his school nemesis and for a brief moment thought of rejecting the apology but the thought of Lily stopped him. Nodding, he whispered "I accept," before looking away.

"All right," the brisk voice of Amelia Bones broke in. "Mr Snape … you were about to tell us the reason why He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named went after the Potters. Do you wish legal representation -"

"May I suggest we dispense with the formalities of an inquest for the moment, Auror Bones?" Millicent spoke up in her formal, `I am the Minister of Magic' voice. "We can make do with the people here now - unless Mr Snape wishes to include someone else?"

Snape shook his head, knowing that he had no one else to turn to now. He kept silent, finally sitting on an empty bed as Flitwick charmed a quill into a Dicta-Quill and prepared a parchment after which Amelia went through the standard deposition needed.

With everything ready, he began his tale. "In January last year, I was in Hogsmeade to meet a contact for Potions ingredients. I was sitting in the Hog's Head …"

"Excuse me, Mr Snape. Were you already marked at the time?" interrupted Amelia Bones.

"Yes, ma'am." He took a deep breath before continuing. "I … 'disposed' of my muggle father -" he didn't see the others blink in surprise - "sometime in 1978, soon after graduation. I'd been recruited while at Hogwarts, joining the Death Eaters' ranks in my seventh year … but I wasn't allowed to participate in any … actions until I graduated.

"When told what I had to do to earn my mark, I decided to use my father -" spitting out the word - "rather than join the others in Muggle hunting." He shrugged, coldly - only Amelia Bones and Minerva McGonagall realized that he was consciously practicing Occlumency as he related his tale.

"All right, Mr Snape - no need to go into details now," Amelia interrupted again. "Please continue."

Snape heaved a sigh of relief. "As I was saying … I was at the Hog's Head to meet a contact for Potions supplies. While I was waiting, I chanced to see Headmaster Dumbledore walk in and proceed up the stairs.

"I was curious - why would the great Albus Dumbledore be spending time in a pub, especially one like the Hog's Head? I thought that he was there to meet his own contacts … we already knew about his Order of the Phoenix and were trying to find out more information about them, their members and such …

"I waited for my chance and when the barman was busy, sneaked up the stairs. It wasn't hard to find where the Headmaster went … he was talking to someone and had forgotten to close the door of their room …

"You can imagine my irritation when I realized that he was there to interview someone for Divination …"

"Divination?" McGonagall blurted, continuing in a shocked voice, "Sybill?"

"Indeed, ma'am," Snape responded, for the first time with a hint of amusement in his voice. "I could see through the open door that the Headmaster was not impressed and had stood up to leave … but then Sybill Trelawney stood and started talking in a harsh voice, completely unlike the way she'd been speaking only a minute before …"

He stopped to take a breath; silently, Poppy Pomfrey pressed a glass of water into his hand, which he sipped thankfully. "What I heard was … `The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches … born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies …'

"There was more but I didn't hear it, I was too busy memorizing what I had heard to really focus … I must have made a noise or something because the Headmaster suddenly stood and made for the door … I got out of there, fast - only to see the bartender coming up the stairs - I pushed him away and ran, didn't look around for my contact but got out … apparated to my home …"

He paused for another drink of water, ignoring his enraptured audience. "The day after, the Dark Lord called for me. He wasn't … pleased. Some of his followers had been wounded in a raid - Rosier, I think, as well as Wilkes and both needed blood replenishing and burn potions. They couldn't go to St Mungo's … the apothecaries were already being watched by Aurors and they couldn't chance going there, which was why I was supposed to be brewing them …

"Unfortunately, I had also run out - which was why I was to meet with my contact. As I said, the Dark Lord wasn't pleased and … proceeded to `ask' me why I hadn't done so …"

Snape was breathing heavily at this point. "I … I told him of what happened, what I'd heard … he performed Legilimency on me to retrieve the information … after which I was let go …"

"A prophecy?" Sirius Black exploded. "The Dark Lord went after James and Lily because of a gods-be-damned prophecy? He's nuts!"

"Be what it may, Black … I don't believe in the damned things but the Dark Lord apparently did, and acted on it."

He sighed as he looked apologetically at the Deputy Headmistress. "The Dark Lord sent word that he wanted Professor Slughorn's head on a platter and didn't care who did it - even a student would do. As expected, Slughorn resigned his position and I applied for the opening …"

"But -" Minerva's eyes bulged. "The enrolment lists! What better way to find out who was born `as the seventh month dies' …"

Snape nodded. "I learned from the scroll that Lily had given birth to a son, Harry James, on 31 July. I tried to owl Lily, to warn her but the owls kept coming back … I went to her sister Petunia but she didn't want to talk to me - her husband bought a shotgun that she kept close by in case I decided to drop by …"

"You could have lied, Snape," Sirius interjected, though there was no heat or rancour in hs words.

"To what purpose, Black?" Snape replied in the same tone. "The scroll is not hidden - everyone knows where it is, or have you forgotten that you and your … 'friends' were boasting about getting in to take a look in your second year? I could lie and find myself dead the next day - the Dark Lord had servants even among the students …"

Sirius looked away; the man had a point. He may have tried lying - but to what end? You-Know-Who would have still found out the information and - Black that he was - he could see Snape's point of view. Better to be alive and try to do something about it, rather than dead and unable to do anything.

"I went to the Headmaster and told him - confessed that I was the one who was there at the Hog's Head and had overheard the prophecy and told the Dark Lord about it. I begged him, pleaded with him to tell Lily, to protect her … send her out the country …" He bit his lip as his face screwed up at the memory. "He said he would - and then asked me what I would give in return for their protection, to protect Potter, Lily and Lily's son …"

His voice dropped to a whisper, "I told him anything … anything he wanted, so long as he kept Lily safe …"

A deafening silence fell on the Hospital Wing, broken only by the sounds of harsh breathing from its occupants, only to be broken by the harsh voice of Amelia Bones: "So you became Dumbledore's spy?"

Snape merely nodded.

"And your … duties to You-Know-Who?"

Heads snapped to look at the stern-faced Head Auror. She kept her eyes fixed on the broken Snape, however. "Come now, Mr Snape - let's be honest here. You may be Dumbledore's man but you would have been of no value to You-Know-Who if he found out. You would have to continue providing information to … to HIM so that you can stay in his ranks and gather information for Dumbledore."

Snape shook his head. "Not as much as you seem to believe, Madam Bones - and please," he held up his hands. "Everything I have said will be verified by Veritaserum anyway so what do I have to hide now?

"My … assignments were simple - stay within the castle and listen for anything that would be of interest to the Dark Lord. I was also to watch for potential recruits, both among the students and the staff … The Dark Lord knew it would take time for me to become a … trusted member of the staff and of the Headmaster.

"Aside from that, I was to continue brewing potions for him … being a member of staff made it even easier, since I had unfettered access to supplies here. It was a relatively simple thing to over-order ingredients because I also volunteered to provide healing potions to Madam Pomfrey and St Mungo's." He smiled sadly. "My `contribution' to the Light.

"But what information could I really gather here? The Headmaster's Order never met here - and I wasn't even a member. As I understand it, none of the staff were also -" He glanced at McGonagall and Flitwick who both shook their heads, although Madam Pomfrey nodded. The latter was no surprise to anyone, however; they knew Pomfrey could be counted on to treat anyone because of her Healer's Oath …

He shuddered. "I was there for meetings when the Dark Lord called … patched them up when needed …watched as they tortured helpless muggles …" He bit his lip as he glanced at Sirius. "I was there when the Dark Lord tortured and then had Regulus executed -"

Sirius stopped him with a raised hand. "I know about Reggie, Snape. You-Know-Poo sent his body to my parents with a warning - drove both of them batty -"

"Later, Mr Black." Amelia Bones' harsh voice cut in although she gave Sirius a sympathetic look before turning a cold eye on Snape. "And what about the Potters? Are you telling me that you didn't lead your Master to their home …"

Snape's answer was drowned out by the feral roar of Remus Lupin, whose lycan stamina had broken through the silencing charm cast by Flitwick. He didn't try attacking, though but simply roared, "IT WAS BLACK - THAT TRAITOROUS BASTARD WAS THE SECRET KEEPER!"

In two different dimensions, two people (a short blonde who was much taller than the other, a diminutive Hogwarts professor) both said at the same time, "No, he isn't."

Both looked at the incredulous faces staring at them and spoke in an eerie echo that only those in an otherworldly dimension heard: "What?"

-->