Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Melting Pot by FieryStar90
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Melting Pot

FieryStar90

IV.

Although Hermione left shortly after, Harry couldn't go back to sleep. He was too keyed up on what would happen the next day and he spent the night going over various scenarios in his head. It reminded him of when they were on their Horcrux hunt and he had yet to decide if he hated the feeling or not. On one hand, it was nice to have something to focus on and plan for, yet he still wasn't sure if this was something he wanted to do for the rest of his life.

Eventually he got out of bed right before sunrise, pulled on some warm clothes, gathered some paper, pen, and the disgruntled Pig, and walked to the waterfront to watch the sun rise. Pig flew along next to him as they walked, eager and full of energy after three days of rest. Harry knew he had to send him back today and the knowledge saddened him a bit. He missed having a companion-thinking of Hedwig always sent another pang to his heart. Yet perhaps now was the time to start again, to find something new. It seemed like he was now in the habit of trying new things.

He sat down along a dock, letting his feet dangle over the edge. Under the ever-growing light, Harry penned two letters: one to Ron and the other to Ginny.

Ron-

Found Hermione; she was in Australia just as we thought. However, there are some complications regarding her parents. They weren't too pleased after learning what she did and are now insisting that she abandon the magical world and stay with them in Australia.

I'm not coming back without her, so I'm afraid you'll have to manage your family for a bit longer. Cheers to you becoming partners with George! I think it's a good fit, mate, and I'm happy for you. Hermione is as well.

Sorry about Ginny, and I'm even a little more sorrier to say that she'll be a bit more crazy after today-sent her a letter as well, completely ending everything.

Maybe you can go live with George. Is the joke shop habitable again?

Give your family my regards, and let me know about Fleur and the baby!

Harry

Ron's letter was easy, but Ginny's was much more difficult for Harry to compose. He still felt a flare of anger when thinking about Ginny's hateful words to Hermione that day, but he couldn't completely burn that bridge, as tempted as he was. Before she was his ex-girlfriend, she was Ron's sister, and part of the family who took him in. He tried to remember that as he penned his letter:

Dear Ginny,

I'm sorry; I should have written this letter much sooner. Our conversation seemed unfinished when I left for England and that is my fault.

I think maybe I gave you the wrong impression when I told you at the beginning of the summer when I wasn't ready for a relationship. I was being cowardly and very un-Gryffindor like. I should have told you the complete truth: I don't want to be in a relationship with you.

There are a lot of reasons why it won't work but I think it ultimately comes down to the fact that we aren't well-suited. When we dated a few years ago I think we had a perception of each other that isn't true anymore. I can't be the hero you want me to be. I've done things that can be considered heroic and brave but that's not who I am, not really. I'm just Harry. What I want-and what I need-in a girlfriend is a partner, not a fan.

I also think we wouldn't work because of how you treat Hermione. Yes, Hermione can be overbearing and controlling at times, but first and foremost, she is my best friend. She has sacrificed everything for me. As a muggle-born, she had more to lose than any of us, yet she never left me, not once-not just last year, but every year before that. I can't tolerate being with someone who disrespects Hermione the way you did the day she left.

Despite that, I want to be friends. You have been a loyal friend to me for many years and I appreciate it very much.

Sincerely,

Harry

Harry grimaced as he read it over, but there was no good way to tell someone you didn't want her any longer. It would hurt no matter how gently he put it.

Not wanting to dwell any longer, he sealed both letters up and gave them to Pig. He gave the bird a snack from his pocket and the little owl hooted his thanks, turned, and flew away into the sunrise.

Harry breathed in the crisp Australian air deeply. He had been complacent and listless this summer and in the cold, clear Australian sunshine he felt he could think better here without the stifling heat. Hermione's presence helped as well. He had the sudden rush that, for once, perhaps things would turn out all right in the end.

Harry walked along for a while, stopped in a café for a light breakfast, and then headed back to the hotel. Despite his earlier cheeriness, now he felt exhausted and knew that tonight wouldn't be any easier.

He felt slightly disheartened without Pig and with the thought that he wouldn't be spending the day with Hermione. However, he found a surprise waiting for him at the hotel-a note on his bed from Hermione.

Harry-

My parents agreed to meet with you this evening at 8 o'clock sharp. I'm to come and meet you at your hotel and apparate with you here, but I'm not allowed to be there during the conversation. Do you, by chance, have your invisibility cloak with you?

Can't stay and talk, parents are timing how long I'm here.

Miss you.

All my love,

Hermione

He couldn't help it-he traced the letters of her name until he fell asleep.

0 0 0

He awoke when the sun was setting and his head felt foggy and heavy, exactly how he didn't want to feel when dealing with Hermione's parents. Luckily, he had a couple of hours before Hermione came to fetch him, so he went down to the dining area of the hotel and ate supper. Feeling sufficiently more refreshed after a full stomach, he nonetheless went back to his room and paced for another half-hour before Hermione was due to arrive.

She found him sitting at the edge of the bed with his head in his hands.

"Harry!" She gasped. "Are you quite all right?"

Harry stood up resolutely, a bit ashamed he had let her see him like this. "I'm fine," he said. "It's just-"

She bit her lip and reached for his hand. "I know," she said. "I'm scared, too."

The clock read 7:58.

"Shall we?" She held out her hand.

He takes it, interlacing their fingers firmly, and within a moment they were gone.

The Grangers' house was, on all accounts, a very normal two-story house surrounded by other similar looking homes. In the distance one could see the water and the few boats on the water glow like fireflies. The night was unexpectedly warm and Harry wished more than anything he and Hermione could be alone. Tonight would've been the perfect night for him to finally confess how he was feeling and see if she was feeling the same. He didn't think any further than that-he knew he would need her help in figuring out where to go from there, regardless of the outcome of his confession.

Things never went the way he wanted them to, of course, and now he was here, in front of the Granger's home, trying to gather any residual courage he had to face them.

"Did you bring your Invisibility Cloak?" Hermione asked him.

Harry shook his head. It was in his hotel room, but he didn't bring it along. "I need to face them myself," he told her.

He could see Hermione getting defensive and about to give him a lecture. He took both of her hands in his. "I'll tell you all about it," he told her. "I promise. But your parents don't want you there, and you need to build the trust back up, don't you? Start here."

She sighed and deflated a bit. "You're right," she muttered.

Harry grinned at her. "Finally," he said. "It only took me eight years."

Hermione rolled her eyes, but was smiling as well.

"Go wait in my hotel room," he told her, "if you don't want to go anywhere else. I'll come get you when it's over."

Her lips twisted and she was still obviously displeased, but she nodded anyway. She looked at him for a moment with a hard look before it melted and she threw her arms around him. "You don't have to do this, you know," she whispered in his ear.

"Yes, I do," he told her, putting his arms around her and holding her tightly to him. "Go," he whispered.

She stepped back, sniffling, and left before he could say anything else.

Taking a deep breath, he went to the door and knocked.

A few moments later, Hermione's father opened the door. A tall, nondescript man with straight brown hair, Robert Granger stared at Harry with the same knowing look Hermione gave him. Behind him was Hermione's mother, Helen, a petite woman with long dark curly hair who was anxiously wringing her hands together in a gesture that strongly reminded Harry of Hermione.

"Mr. and Mrs. Granger," Harry greeted them, trying to keep his voice steady. He could tell based purely on Mrs. Granger's nervous tick that he would need to remain calm enough for everyone. He also had the suspicion that behind Mr. Granger's tranquil façade was a ticking time bomb. Harry would have to tread very carefully.

"Harry," Robert replied. "Please, come in."

"Thank you," Harry said, wiping his palms on his jeans. He entered and they led him to a sitting room where everyone sat down. Mrs. Granger offered him tea and he declined. He could just see himself spilling hot tea everywhere and making things even worse.

"How long have you been in Australia, Harry?" Robert asked.

Harry cleared his throat. "About two and a half weeks," he said.

"You came looking for Hermione?" Helen jumped in suddenly.

"I did," Harry said. "Um… she left England rather abruptly. I wanted to make sure she was okay."

"And bring her back to England with you," Helen concluded sharply.

"That was the plan, yes," Harry said. "And I don't plan on leaving without her."

This bold declaration had both Grangers sitting up straighter, on edge. "Is that so?" Robert demanded. "You wish to take her away from her parents again, do you?"

Harry felt a little bad; he hadn't thought about that. "It may have started out that way that I wanted to bring her back to England with me," he said slowly, "but now I'll just go-or stay-wherever she is."

Helen looked at him shrewdly. "You sound very dedicated to Hermione," she sounded almost surprised.

Harry shrugged. "She's been dedicated to me for almost eight years-and I want to be dedicated to her now."

"Is this-this Voldemort character-Hermione has told us he's no longer living," Robert fished. To Harry, this was a remarkable, small, victorious moment-a muggle using Voldemort's name without fear and without consequence. He felt a bit of pride. He-and Hermione-helped to create this fledgling world. If only he could convince her parents that she belonged in that world she created.

"No," Harry said. "He's gone now. His followers have been accounted for. The threat is gone."

"For now," Helen broke in. "But who's to say when another madman might threaten the magical world again? Hermione-Hermione will always be looked down upon because she's not like everyone else and we can't allow her to put herself in more danger! You can't tell us that was never a chance of her being killed-or that she was almost killed-in the past few years."

Harry thought of Malfoy Manor and the Battle of Hogwarts and every time in between. "I can't," he said. "But you can't say that there are no threats in this world as well. She could get killed in a car accident, she could be murdered at gunpoint! You can't keep her locked away just to keep her safe. That's not really living, is it?"

Helen glared at him hatefully; Robert tensed, but was quiet. "You of all people should understand about a parent wanting to protect their child," he said.

Harry flinched. He hadn't realized just how much Hermione had told them. "Of course," he said. "But I highly doubt my parents wanted me to be locked away in exchange for such protection" even though that was what had ultimately happened. But his parents hadn't made that decision-Dumbledore did.

"You seem very selfish for wanting Hermione to live in this world with people who hate her on sight," Helen concluded.

Harry had to calm himself down before he said something he regretted. "Have you asked Hermione what she wanted?" He asked instead.

Robert started to turn a bit red. "She wants to go back! Says there's still work and rebuilding to be done. She wants to leave us-again!"

Harry realized, with a clarity that would have made Hermione herself proud, how the Grangers felt. The magical world had been taking their daughter from them a little bit each year-consuming her until she was almost unrecognizable to them. She went from being Hermione, their daughter who happened to be a witch, to Hermione the Witch. She had gradually stopped spending summers and Christmas breaks with them, instead choosing to be with him and the Weasley's. And then to learn of such a betrayal so that she could follow him and potentially get herself killed was unthinkable. To hear that she wanted to go back-that she was leaving them again-was more than they could bear. They were being a bit selfish, yes-but more than that, they were scared. And lonely. And heartbroken. And betrayed. And Harry couldn't fault them for that.

"It might not mean much," Harry said quietly, taking a new approach, "but I'm so sorry. For the pain I have caused your family. I'm the reason why Hermione left you and wants to leave again. I'm the reason why she was put in danger-although she probably would've been in danger anyway for her status." He looked at them. "I understand wanting to keep Hermione close. That's why I'm here-I-don't know how to live without her. I never realized it before but she's the voice I hear in my head. Whenever I make a decision, I wonder if she would approve or not. I like spending time with her more than anyone else I know. I-" He stopped abruptly after seeing the looks on the Granger's faces.

Robert looked at him squarely, and when he spoke he sounded sure. "You love her," he stated.

Harry responded automatically: "Of course."

Robert shook his head, waved his hand a bit impatiently. "No, no. You're in love with her."

Harry hesitated. It seemed a bit odd to admit this to her parents before the girl herself, but it was true nonetheless. Besides, he was sure that Robert Granger would know if he lied. "Yes," he said.

Helen looked surprised, but Robert did not. "This is not some teenage infatuation," he concluded.

Harry shook his head. "No," he said. "I've known Hermione for almost eight years. I've thought about this a lot and-nothing seems more right to me. I'm sure."

Robert tried not to visibly soften in the face of such sincerity. Helen already did. She seemed to deflate a bit. "Will we ever see her again?" she asked resignedly. "I don't-we don't know what to do! We don't know if we should stay here and answer to a name we know is fake, but going back-we do like it here. And we do miss England, but… "

"Helen," Robert sighed, looking upwards, bemoaning his talkative and flustered wife.

"Where-where do you want to live?" Harry asked, a bit bewildered at the change of topic. "Here or England?"

"We like it here," Robert answered, "but I think it ultimately boils down to wherever Hermione ends up." He looked at Harry and smiled a little sadly. "She's all we have, you know."

Harry smiled a crooked grin. "I guess it's all up to her then, where we all end up."

Robert gave a little laugh. "I guess so."

0 0 0

"Well?" Hermione stood up as Harry apparated in. She rang her hands nervously.

Harry shrugged, gave a little smile. "Fine, I suppose," was all he said, knowing it would drive Hermione mad.

It did. She looked at him, almost uncomprehending, the look in her eyes bordering on hysteria. " `Fine?!'" She shrieked. "You're going to have to give me a little more than merely `fine', Harry James Potter!"

Harry looked at her for a moment, feeling a sense of peace and calm settle over him, assuring him that his feelings were valid, that his actions were right. He held out his hand to her.

"Come," he said. "Let's go for a walk and I'll explain everything, I promise."

She looked at him, still skeptical, but she put her hand in his. It was a known fact that Hermione Granger would follow Harry Potter to the ends of the earth, but she was getting the feeling that he was willing to do the same for her.

He took her to the beach, the very same one where they found each other those scant weeks before. It was a bit warmer now-summer was slowly creeping back to Australia. Still, they were the only ones on that beach for miles and miles. Perfect, thought Harry.

"All right," Hermione said, letting go of his hand-regrettably-and spinning around to face him, crossing her arms. "I've indulged you. Now, stop teasing and tell me everything!"
Harry tried not to laugh at her. He tried to imagine her as a child, the way her parents saw her, a small, six-year-old Hermione with her arms crossed, toe tapping, giving a stern look only she knew how to give. He wondered which parent she learned it from-he would guess Robert.

Shaking that thought away, he cleared his throat. "Your parents miss you," he said. "They're afraid of losing you again."

Hermione deflated a bit. "I know," she said quietly. "And I love them so much-but I-I'm too selfish, Harry. I couldn't give up the magical world for them and-do what? Become a dentist like them? Or a doctor, or a lawyer? And lose everything-lose magic, lose Ron…lose you," she whispered. "I couldn't do that. Not even for them."

Harry put his hands on her shoulders and she looked up at him, eyes glistening. He gave her a smile. "Chin up, Hermione," he said. "Your parents and I talked about it, and we-all of us-have decided that wherever you go, we'll follow."

Hermione blinked at him. "Really?" She breathed. "How-how did you manage that? I don't-but they were so-they were dead set on me staying here with them-"

"I think they like Australia," Harry told her, "but the idea of staying here under false identities was just distasteful to them. Plus, when it boils down to it, they just want to be wherever you are." He looked at her and let a bit of the vulnerability under the bravado shine through. "I think they had painted a picture of me as someone who just used you as a means to an end," he looked at her uncomfortably, still a bit unsure if that was merely her parents' assumption, or an opinion Hermione herself helped them to facilitate, "but once they were convinced that I care about you and cared about your happiness just as much as they do, well, there wasn't too much they could say. So wherever you decide to go, Hermione, they-and I-will go with you."

Hermione recognized the line immediately and she started to cry, tears of relief and sadness and happiness and everything all at once, a flooding of her pent-up emotions leaving her body.

Harry just hugged her, smoothed the curls of her hair, murmuring that everything was going to be all right now.

After a moment, she pulled back from him, wiping her tears, laughing, "Merlin, I feel like a wreck. I thought this would go away once the war ended."

Harry shook his head. "Anyone who thinks it's all rainbows and butterflies with no aftermath is delusional," he said. "Just because the fighting and the carnage ends doesn't mean the pain does as well."

Hermione looked at him closely. "I think we all need a little bit of help," she said. "I was thinking about-perhaps seeing a wizard psychologist or therapist or something."

Harry looked surprised. "They have those?"

Hermione nodded. "Contrary to popular belief, not everyone works at the Ministry, although they do employ psychologists in the Auror Department, for when aurors undergo traumatic experiences. They have them at St. Mungo's, too, but there are also private psychologists. I might go-and um, if you wanted to come with me or go by yourself, I could, maybe, help?"

Harry thought about it for a moment. He wanted to say no-he wasn't the sort to talk about his feelings-but maybe it would be good to get it out, let it go. "I'll think about it," he said finally, which earned him a big grin.

"I'll broach the subject to Ron when we get back," Hermione said. "I think he could use someone to talk to as well."

Harry nodded, agreed, but something else jumped out at him. " `When we get back'?" he asked, eyebrow raised. "So you're coming back?"

"Of course," Hermione said, surprised, "why wouldn't I? Where else would I go?"

"Actually…" Harry drawled, "I was thinking. What do you say about not going back to England immediately? I've never been outside of the UK before this trip, and I kind of like it. You've traveled a lot-want to show me all of your favorite spots? And then maybe we could go to places we both haven't been and find some new places? What do you say?"

Hermione's smile was bright and disbelieving. "Are you serious?" She breathed. "That's-that's fantastic! But what will my parents say?"

Harry smiled to himself.

"I think we both kind of know that there's something else there," Harry explained to the Granger's, who were raptly listening to Harry discuss his and Hermione's relationship. Apparently, although Hermione discussed Harry in-depth, whenever one of her parents tried to insinuate that she thought of Harry other than platonically, she shut them down. To hear Harry's perspective was like gold to them. "But I don't know how to-how to move forward from here."

Helen chewed on her lip. "Maybe," she said, "you two need to spend more time together-just the two of you-without any pressure. You-have you traveled much, Harry?"

Harry shook his head, not understanding. "No," he said. "This is my first trip outside of the UK, ever. I've never thought traveling much before-didn't hope for it, although I suppose I did wonder about it when I was younger. Why?"

Robert and Helen exchanged looks. "Maybe you and Hermione should travel together a bit," Helen suggested. "Robert and I had fun when we backpacked across Europe and Asia together."

Harry gaped at them. They didn't seem the type to do something like that.

Robert actually laughed. "We were young once, you know," he said. "Plus, we do have a bit of an adventurous streak in us-Hermione does get that trait from somewhere."

Helen smiled softly. "Go travel together," she said, "and things will happen in time, naturally."

Robert nodded beside her. Harry felt like his heart was a fluttering snitch. He had captured the unthinkable: the Granger's blessing.

"They're quite all right with it," Harry told her. "In fact, it's good because they have to get all of their things together-sell the house, take care of the practice, look for another home in England-before they can come back. And they might join us, they said, particularly if we happened to end up in Hawaii…"

Hermione laughed. "I think we can manage that," she told him. But then she thought for a moment and sighed. "I wish we still had our house in England," she said, "it might make things easier."

Harry looked at her and fidgeted a bit before saying, "Well, about that…"

Hermione looked at him sharply. "Harry, what did you do?"

"Well," Harry said, running a hand through his hair, "I may have been a bit presumptuous before I came here and… um.. I bought your old house. As incentive for maybe you all to come back? I was walking by there one day and I noticed it was on the market so I-I bought it!" He began to ramble nervously. "Not all of the furniture is the same, I don't think, but we can transfigure everything so it looks perfect-I can help - I" he cut himself off at the look on her face.

Hermione looked like she was about to have a heart attack. "Are you serious?" She breathed. "Harry-that's-that's-" She flung her arms around him and hugged him tightly. "Oh, Harry," she said. "That's the most incredible thing anyone's ever done for me."

Harry pulled back, licked his lips. "You know I'd do anything for you, right?" He asked. "Maybe I haven't been so good at showing it these past years, but-I've thought a lot about what you said," told her, "when you told me that I was your world. The thing is, I may be your world, but I'm yours, completely." He gave a little laugh. "Dumbledore and Voldemort and Fudge and Scrimgeour all wanted to have power over me, but the thing is, the only person who has that ability is you. And I don't even mind that you do. You're-you're the only I person I trust with everything-my soul, my life," he reached up and put her right hand over his chest and swallowed. "My heart."

Her breath came in shallow puffs and her eyes kept darting from his eyes to the small, brown hand resting on his heart. She was looking at him like he was a dream-a dream long considered hopeless-that was coming true, like he was too wonderful to be real.

Harry knew he could-or maybe should-wait until they were travelling, like Hermione's mother said to do, but now felt right. Now felt good. Why wait any longer? He felt like he had been waiting for this for years and had never known it.

"I'm in love with you, Hermione," he said plainly. "I don't know how I didn't see it sooner, but you're the only one I want by my side, the only one who fits there." He stopped, swallowed. And then he said it again, just because he could: "I love you, Hermione." He waited.

Hermione's breaths were still shallow and her eyes were wide as she looked up at him. Her hand reached out to touch his face and hair. "This is real," she murmured. "This is actually happening."

Harry's heart leapt and broke all at once. What would have happened if he had never seen this? If Hermione and Ginny had never had that argument? Would they both have settled, then, for a Weasley? Would they have just missed each other? He couldn't imagine how long Hermione had felt this way, how long she had known. Unfortunately, he couldn't say he was surprised, though. She was the brightest witch of her age.

He leaned his forehead against hers. "It's real, Hermione," he whispered. "It's you and me, just like how it was always supposed to be."

Hermione smiled slowly, and it was the sweetest smile Harry had ever seen-shy and delighted and so, so loving-it took his breath away. She wasn't holding back anymore, she was showing him all of the love she contained inside. She shone like a star, and he basked in her. "Meant to be," she said.

"Yes," Harry said fervently, and then he put a hand on her cheek and finally, finally, their lips met. Over the past few weeks, he had thought about what it would be like to kiss Hermione-or rather-how he would kiss her if he ever had the chance-and both were better than he imagined. He kissed her the way he wanted to-long and slow and deep-and he thought if he could see them in a mirror, they would look similar to their Horcrux versions, although, they might have had the same passion, but this kiss was different. There was trust, here; there was love, here.

"Oh, Harry, I love you," she murmured in between kisses. He didn't think his heart could soar any higher. They had to breathe, but could barely stand to let their lips separate for more than a moment.

Finally, they broke apart, giving little gasps, their lips lingering against each other. Harry's eyes fluttered open. He moved his head away a bit and noticed that Hermione's were open with a dreamy quality in them. "Just like I thought it would be," she whispered dreamily.

Harry looked at her, amused. "And how did you think it would be?" He wanted to know.

She gave him a radian smile. "You taste like magic," she said.

Harry couldn't agree more, and gave her another kiss to prove it.

The waves flowed to the shore, tranquil and true, and the ocean glittered from the light of the stars that shone brightly in the sky. The dog star in particular glinted and winked cheekily at the love struck couple down below, its light shining down upon them like a blessing, like a sign.

0 0 0

Notes: This was a difficult chapter to write, and it took me a really long time to figure out how I wanted the parent/Harry scene to sound, but I'm really proud of the result. I hope the wait was worth it. The only thing I'm hesitant about is that they cover too many topics in one chapter, but it needed to be done, I suppose! One more part-an epilogue-and this little baby will be finished!

Thank you again for your wonderful reviews. I'm so glad you guys have loved this little story like I do. You're all stars!

M. Elena

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->