Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Last Casualties by muggledad
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Last Casualties

muggledad

Chapter 9

"Dad, I want you and the Marauders to prank Dumbledore until his shits himself."

Despite the tension, Hermione wasn't surprised to see James roll his eyes. They were all on the dock of the Black Lake, blankets about Harry and Neville while Lily fussed over both teens. The crowds had receded shortly after the event was completed, so they were alone.

Hermione noticed Neville switching his gaze from James back to Harry. Finally, he asked, "Uncle James, what's going on?" Susan Bones, at Neville's side, was quietly curious. She'd come sprinting down to the lakefront when she realized Neville was Harry's hostage. Once the teens reached shore, she wouldn't be dislodged from her beau's side come hell, high water or both.

Hermione frowned. "Didn't Dumbledore explain it to you when they summoned you for the task?" Prongs asked.

"No. They just called me to the Headmaster's office last night. I remember getting there, but not much else after that."

Hermione's jaw dropped open while James and Lily paled. Susan frowned before tightening her grip on Neville's arm. Sirius and Remus had headed to the castle. They were to use the Floo to summon the Lady Augusta to the school. James was sure that she'd want to know about the events of the morning.

In a dangerous tone, James asked, "They didn't ask your permission for you to be in the task?"

Shrugging, Neville replied, "Not that I remember."

His jaw clenched, James closed his eyes to reign in his displeasure. Lily was breathing hard, doing her best to control her own temper. In a mental digression, Hermione realized that Lily had become much better at governing herself in stressful situations. When they first rejoined the time stream, the redheaded witch was very volatile. Now, she would become upset, but refrain from lashing out. It was probably a result of the aftermath of the first task, but then again, Lily was still growing up.

After a loud exhale by James, he told them all, "Right. Let's head up to our rooms. Padfoot and Moony are going to meet us there with Lady Augusta."

Hermione grinned when Harry's arm snaked about her shoulders. Harry was becoming much more affectionate and even possessive in his physical touching with her and she loved it. In silent reply, she wormed her arm about his waist. Ambling behind the elder Potters, they took their time.

James, Susan and Neville were deep in a discussion about what Hermione couldn't tell, but it was good to see. James had been carving out more than a bit of time to be with Neville. Sometimes it was as part of the greater Potter-Black family but also just the two of them. Before break, he and Neville had gone to St Mungo's to see Neville's parents. The irrepressible Prongs had returned shaken and quiet. He had taken Lily's hand, dragging her to the bedroom before closing it. Before the Silencing charm was cast, she heard his sobs along with Lily cooing, "It's alright, love. Let it out. Frank and Alice were good friends."

"Neville's good people. I like Susan, too," Harry told her in a soft voice breaking her out of her musings.

Nodding her head, she agreed. "Susan has always been very shy, but very smart. She and I paired up for some Arithmancy projects last year. Neville…well, he's coming into his own, now that your Dad and Sirius are back. I think he missed that kind of male interaction."

Staring at the ground as they ambled, Harry muttered, "He needed his family."

Realizing that Harry was speaking not only about their sandy haired friend, but also himself, she countered, "But he had his friends and his Gran."

Slowly shaking his head, he replied, "But it wasn't enough. Nothing can replace the love in your Mum's hug or the warmth in my chest when my Dad tells me he's proud of me."

Catching his transition from `your' to `my', she was silent.

"Even Sirius was a pale imitation." Turning to her, he regarded her over the tops of his spectacles, "Don't get me wrong, I love Padfoot, but he's not my Dad." He was quiet a moment before adding, "But I need my godfather and Uncle Remus, too."

"It's about family," she whispered.

"My life is completely changed in the last six months. I've completely changed," he mused

Stopping midstride, she stared, the epiphany powerful. When he tugged on her sleeve to catch her attention, she stared at him. "That's it."

She could feel his confusion. "What's it?"

"The Power The Dark Lord Knows Not."

Stilling, he stared at her. "Explain."

Staring deep into his eyes, she whispered, "You've been able to do so much more since your parents returned. You've calmed, become able to harness this power reservoir, you study and apply your studies much better. It's all because you've your parents back!" She nearly shrieked at the end, but quickly subdued. Harry's eyes were narrowed in a contradictory expression.

"No."

"No?" she repeated, confused. It seemed so logical in her head when it came to her.

"No. It's not just my parents. It's the whole family. It's Prongs, Mum, Padfoot, Moony and most importantly, you."

Her heart melted at the emotion in his voice. A tear trickled from his eye. Truly did he say that he was different. The cup runneth over; the joy in her intended's heart brimmed. Pulling him into a desperate hug, she told him, "You deserve it all, my love."

"It all started with you," he whispered and she knew that it did. For that, she was honoured and grateful.

.oOo.

Lady Augusta had had a long day already. The head House Elf for Green Hills, the Longbottom estate, had passed in the night. Old Solly was well over four hundred years old and had been a good servant and elf. Sighing, she nearly cried as she remembered presiding over his internment ceremony earlier in the morning. The other four elves had been distraught. Dilly had been the natural choice to replace Solly, but had cried her little eyes out when asked to assume the role. Eventually, the petite elf had curtseyed before sobbing, "As Mistress wishes." The pop as she left had been extra loud.

Then the family solicitor had called. With Neville coming closer to his seventeenth birthday, she had decided that he needed to become more involved in the family business so she'd directed Williams and Villiers to begin a process to bring the Longbottom heir into the day to day management of their fortunes.

Neville was a good lad, but so timid as to frustrate her to no end. Shaking her head, she couldn't for the life of her understand why he was that way. James Potter's miraculous return from the dead had been a godsend. Over the hols, Neville had displayed more backbone and confidence than he'd ever done in his entire life. Even that rake Sirius Black had been a positive influence. If only poor Frank and Alice hadn't…

The fire flaring green interrupted her train of thought. A grim faced Sirius Black appeared in the fire. "Lady Augusta, Neville is well, but you're needed at Hogwarts."

Her eyes narrowing in protective anger, she stood before commanding, "Step aside, my Lord. I'm coming through."

.oOo.

Harry had seen glimpses of Lady Augusta Longbottom in person. He knew her much better through the stories Neville had told over the years. When the tall iron-grey haired widow strode out of the fire, all the stories about Neville's Gran being `a right Tartar' came back to The Boy-Who-Lived. This was one witch he never wanted to cross.

Except for maybe his mum. Or his girlfriend. All right, all three of them were to be avoided in the `angering' column.

Shaking off his mental meanderings, he heard Lady Augusta ask the assembled witches and wizards, `What happened?"

James answered, "The second task of the tournament was this morning. Each of the champions was required to retrieve a hostage from the bottom of the Black Lake. In addition, each of the hostages had sentimental value to the champion; Dumbledore selected Neville to be Harry's hostage."

Her eyes narrowing while her nostrils flared, she asked in a quiet voice, "Neville was at the bottom of the lake?" Harry shivered at the tone. Water should be freezing somewhere nearby as her tenor was so cold.

"Yes, ma'am," James replied. Fighting back a smile, it seemed to Harry that his Dad was slipping back into the ways of his youth.

Lady Augusta turned her piercing gaze on her grandson, "Did you volunteer for this?"

Shaking his head slowly as if trying to remember, Neville replied, "No ma'am. All I remember is going to the Headmaster's office in response to his summons."

Turning back to James, she spat, "Did you know of this, my Lord?"

Narrowing his eyes at the unspoken accusation, James replied, "I was aware that Dumbledore desired to use the Lady Hermione," he gestured to the witch next to Harry, "as the hostage. This was unacceptable to Potter, Blackmoor and me. We were completely unaware as to Dumbledore's selection in replacement of the Lady Hermione."

Harry frowned. His Dad didn't use their titles unless he was playing about or extremely mad. He would retreat into stiff formality when riled and it seemed this was one of those times. To call him `Potter', as in `the Baron Potter of Gwynedd' was very unusual.

His mum must have noticed as well. She laid her hand on his arm, softly entreating him to calm down with a softly spoken, "James…"

After a deep breath, James apologized. "I'm sorry, Augusta. We've all been very tense since last night when Dumbledore tried to take Hermione for the task and we've been waiting for the penny to drop. After the dragons of the first task, I was terrified what they might have under the lake." Looking away, he muttered, "My son and godson were down there."

Looking a bit abashed, Augusta reached out for the time-displaced man's hand. "Think nothing of it, James. I, too, am sorry for my words." Turning to Neville, she evaluated him with a practiced eye, "Are you well?"

Shrugging before a quick nod, Neville replied, "'m fine, Gran." His blush gave away how much he was embarrassed by the attention. At his side, Susan beamed.

Remus piped up for the first time in the meeting, "Should we confront Albus?"

Eyes narrowing, Lady Augusta pronounced, "I think right now would be a very good time to have a discussion with Albus."

.oOo.

Minerva McGonagall was very upset and it was an uncommon occurrence. Oh, to be sure, she was angered by students most every day, but it never truly upset her inner equilibrium in any way.

But now, she was very upset.

It started with the miraculous return of the Potters. Teachers ought not to play favourites, but the Marauders and Lily Evans had been her favourites in the `70s. When James and Lily had `died', she'd had to cancel her classes for an entire week for she was unable to face students while her heart broke.

Yet, she stood by while Albus left little Harry with those monsters.

Being called to account by James and Lily had torn at her soul. Minerva McGonagall was a woman who prided herself on doing that which is right, even if it cost her. The Potters had pointed out that Minerva had done that which was easy, letting that which was right fly by like an unmanned broomstick in the night.

She'd protested quite vigorously to Albus when he'd told her that he was going to use Miss Granger as Mr Potter's hostage for the second task. "Albus, ye canna do that," she'd exclaimed as her burr broke through her usual neutral accent. Whenever she was upset, her Highland roots showed.

"Ye've hurt them enough!" He'd stopped still at her pronouncement. Eventually, nodding in agreement, she could tell that he was still undeterred.

"They'll break with ye. They'll break with ye and if You-Know-Who does return like you think. then we'll all be the poorer." Pointing a finger at her old friend, she scathingly chastised, "All because ye willna listen to any counsel save yer own!"

"What else should I do, Minerva? The rules of the Tournament are clear. The Headmasters are as bound as the Champions are bound. I must provide a hostage." He was sincerely asking her for a different solution. Unfortunately, she couldn't think of a different plan, except, "Take another person, Albus. They'll kill ye if you take her."

Of course, he'd done the next worst thing. Instead of taking the young woman who would be The Boy-Who-Lived's wife, Albus took the young man's virtual cousin.

She knew that Albus was making mistakes of gargantuan proportions that were hurting people left and right, but she didn't know what to do instead. She knew that while her intellect was great, she was lacking in imagination. It was probably why she was so well suited to the Deputy Headmistress role in lieu of the Headmistress role. Therefore, she found herself in the Head's office this late morning waiting for the storm to break.

She didn't have to wait long. Seconds after she finished debriefing Albus about the end of the second task, Armando Dippet's portrait announced, "An incensed Lady Augusta Longbottom along with a furious Lord and Lady Richmond, Lord Potter, Lord Blackmoor, the Lady Hermione…"

Sighing, Albus waved to the portrait, "Let them up, Armando. Thank you." If Minerva didn't know better, she would have sworn that the portrait really enjoyed that exchange.

The head of Gryffindor house caught the Headmaster's eye, "Should I go?"

Heavily, he replied, "No. I think it best if you stayed."

Seconds later, the troupe stormed into the room. Minerva stood, moving to the side of the office so as to be out of the line of fire.

"Albus, I'll have an explanation why my grandson was shanghaied into this tournament of yours without his or my permission," Augusta announced imperiously. Her eyes flashed and narrowed as she waited.

Turning to Albus, Minerva saw the confused expression on his face clear. "Augusta, we have a miscommunication here." Opening a drawer in his desk, he withdrew a folded and sealed piece of parchment. Handing it to the grand dame, he asked her, "Would you please verify that Neville's seal is affixed to this parchment?"

With a frown, she did. Puzzled, she looked up at the old Headmaster, "Yes, It's his."

Nodding, Albus prodded, "Would you please open the parchment?"

Lily had reached the end of her tether, though. "Albus, enough with the dramatics. What's on the parchment and how does it relate to Neville's involvement in the task?"

Nodding soberly, the Defeater of Grindlewald sat in his chair, motioning for the others to sit as well. "Last evening, after I left your rooms," he nodded to James and Lily, "I decided that Mr Longbottom would be the best alternative to Miss Granger-Black in being Harry's hostage."

Minerva slowly closed her eyes as she shook her head. A statement like that was sure to result in drawn wands. Opening her eyes, she was impressed, no one had drawn their wands, but James and Augusta looked very close to doing so.

"Explain," James snarled.

"You must understand, the geas of the tournament binds me as much as the champions. I must do what I've done. I had to provide a hostage for the task."

"No you didn't."

It was Sirius who had spoken. Sprawled in his chair, he drawled, "Did IQs suddenly drop while I was in prison? The riddle said `that which you'll miss most', not `the person you'll miss most'. You could have stuck his Firebolt at the bottom of the lake while fulfilling the terms of the task." Sirius' expression finished the little monologue: You Stupid Arrogant Arsehole.

Minerva was stunned. Silence reigned for a full ten seconds before Albus replied, "Well…yes, I suppose that may have worked…"

Rolling her eyes, Lily urged, "Returning to the topic at hand: Neville's involvement?" The sandy haired wizard and his redheaded girlfriend had been quiet the entire time, but Susan's scowl had only deepened during the discussion. She's a true Hufflepuff Minerva thought to herself.

"Yes, quite." Gesturing to the parchment in Augusta's hands, Albus explained, "The potion that was used to enchant the students who were placed in the Lake also caused short term memory loss. Since that was the case, the Headmistress of Beauxbatons insisted that we observe the legalities. Unfortunately, the persons acting as hostages would be unable to recall giving their permission to participate in the task. What you hold is Neville's contract stating that he fully understood the terms of the task and willingly volunteered his services."

More stunned silence flooded the room. In a moment of hilarity, everyone simultaneously stared at the parchment in Augusta's hand as if it were about to leap in the air while singing an aria from La Traviata.

Minerva was astonished at the change in the Longbottom scion. When he strode into the room, his head was high in the manner in which she'd become used to seeing him since James took an active role in the young wizard's life. The glare by Augusta Longbottom at her grandson seemed to be causing him to wilt like a plant in a drought.

"Gran, I'm sorry…"

Now, he was slouched over, staring at the floor. Minerva saw the furious look that Susan was sending to Augusta and remembered never to chastise the lad unjustly whilst the redheaded witch was in the room. Her fierce expression caused Augusta to flinch, something the Transfiguration Mistress had never seen.

Harry spoke, "Thank you, Neville. I have no doubt that you were trying to help me and I appreciate it." The Boy-Who-Lived glared at the Headmaster, "You may have been given reassurances that the task was safe, but after the first task, who really knows what was intended to happen down there. Thanks, mate, I appreciate the thought."

The little speech by Harry seemed to bring Augusta `round. Reaching out, she took Neville's hand in her own. "Lord Potter is correct." The withering stare now focused on Dumbledore. Minerva nearly rolled her eyes. The man had faced down Gellert Grindlewald, the magical SS hordes, the Death Eaters and Voldemort himself. Some old widow from Lancashire wasn't very intimidating.

"My grandson is not of age, Albus. He was unable to give legal consent to participate."

Sighing, the headmaster replied, "Augusta, the forms you sign every year allowed me to legally allow his participation in the task once I obtained his permission."

"You should have still fire called me."

Nodding, he conceded, "Yes, I should have but I didn't. I was preoccupied with my disintegrating relationship with the Potters and Sirius, so I failed to contact you." Ignoring the glares from the aforementioned families, Albus formally intoned, "You have my deepest apologies."

All the wind taken out of their sails, Minerva watched the visitors deflate before they picked themselves up to leave the office.

The last one to leave, James stared at Albus for a long moment, "Why?"

The Headmaster's eyes narrowed slightly. For all his errors, Albus Dumbledore still had a towering intellect to match his magical capacity. "Why select Mr Longbottom or why force Harry to participate at all?"

"Both," James replied. It seemed that both men had forgotten that she was in the room.

Shaking his head, Albus answered, "I told the truth about why I selected him. He seemed to be the best selection given the criteria of the task." Shrugging, Albus added, "There was no danger, James. I would never knowingly place a student in danger…"

"Except when it's Harry," Prongs interrupted. "Dragons ring a bell? Dementors? How about the Philosopher's Stone or the Chamber of Secrets?"

Pursing his lips, the old man nodded, "True. True indeed. I can understand why you and your family assumed the worst about the danger of the task."

There was an awkward silence as both wizards held in what they most urgently desired to say. It was evident that James wanted to lash out, calling the old headmaster a fool and other such things.

Albus, in his turn, wanted to tell James that he'd never hurt a child, but in Harry's case, the evidence of his behaviour gave lie to that truth.

Exercising the best option, both men remained silent until James asked, "The third task?"

"It shall be in June, probably during the week of the 20th. There shall be a maze on the Quidditch Pitch leavened with various creatures, enchantments and plants. In the centre of the maze shall be the TriWizard cup. First to the cup wins the tournament. James…" he trailed off before regaining his courage. "I just want to tell you that I hold no animus towards Harry and shall not contact the Aurors about the Reductor curse he cast at me during the task. I understand more fully his emotional reaction. However, I'd caution you that most others will not be so understanding."

James gave a short nod before he turned on his heel.

After the door closed behind, him, Albus turned to Minerva, "That could have gone better."

Her raised eyebrow was her only reply. In this case, she sided much more with James than her old friend.

.oOo.

The next day, the teens had a break from their instruction. James and Sirius were slated to retake their seats as High Lords of the Wizengamot. Sirius had been unjustly stricken from the roll, his seat held in abeyance while the Potter seat was sat by the hereditary steward for the line, Arthur Weasley.

"Mr Weasley is the steward for our house?" Harry asked in a despairing tone.

Lily watched her son closely. Something was afoot here and she didn't like what she was seeing.

Frowning at his son's reaction, James nodded, "Yeah, he is. The second son of the Weasley family has always been our family's steward. There's even a house on the grounds for his family should he wish to live at the estate."

Holding his head in his hands, Harry was silent while Hermione rubbed his back consolingly. Asking the question Harry was afraid to put voice to, she put to James, "Do you think Mr Weasley knew the extent of the Potter holdings as well as the Richmond and Potter titles?"

"Of course he did. He had to know in order to fulfil the most basic activities of his charge. The man had quarterly meetings with the bank to review our accounts."

"Oh, God," Harry moaned.

Alarmed, Lily moved to Harry's free side. As she sat, she noticed Hermione's pale face; the teen muttered, "It can't be…"

Showing a sensitiveness that wasn't always present, James asked, "What's wrong?" in a soft tone.

Harry gulped a few mouthfuls of air before shaking his head in negation. Lily looked to Hermione for explanation, her wide green eyes nearly demanding an answer from the witch who was nearly her daughter.

Staring straight ahead, Hermione began to tell of her and Harry's relationship with the Weasley family. The early friendship with Ron, Fred and George's rescue of Harry before second year, Mrs Weasley's concern and fondness for the young Harry and Mr Weasley's affable affection for both Harry and Hermione. How they took Harry into their home, showing him the love and affection for which he'd starved.

Trembling with rage, Lily took her son in one arm, reaching across his back to grasp Hermione's limp hand. Turning to her husband, her intent was clear. Oh, she'd known that Harry and Hermione were friends with the youngest Weasley boy for a time, but never this level of entanglement with the Steward's family.

James' narrowed eyes reflected her intent. Nodding to her, he leaned forward, taking his son's hands in his own. Lily whispered something she'd heard from Harry not so long before. Just loud enough for all of them to hear, she told Harry, "They don't matter…"

"Only the family matters," he replied. Nodding, he looked up at his Dad for strength.

Over James' shoulder was Sirius, looking on with a decided expression. Giving his godson a reassuring nod, Padfoot echoed, "Only the family…"

`What do we do?" Hermione asked. Lily was surprised. Usually, the witch was very confident and self-assured. Now she seemed adrift at sea.

"We make `em pay," Harry snarled.

"No," James countered.

Looking up, The Boy-Who-Lived replied, "No?"

"No. I take this for action. I'm the head of the family, it's my task." Harry seemed as if he were about to rebel, but gave in at the last moment, nodding in agreement.

Standing, James nodded to Lily. "I've some things to see to at home. I'll meet you in the atrium of the Ministry after the Convocation?"

Pulling him down for a kiss, she couldn't be prouder. Before he'd matured, James would have ranted and raved about the duplicity and two timing that it seemed the Weasley steward was culpable of executing. Now, he took charge and protected those whom he loved. Was there any wonder that she loved her man? After breaking their kiss, she answered, "The Atrium afterwards. We'll be there. I'll grab Neville also as we talked about. I agree that he should see this."

Nodding, James gave his son one last clap on the back before he headed for the Floo. Lily couldn't help but smile when Sirius squatted on his haunches in front of the still pale Hermione. "You Ok, sweetie?"

Is this Sirius Black using a term of endearment for a girl he considers a daughter? I've to tell Remus this one.

Shrugging, the teen replied, "Not really, but I will be. Go, I'm sure you and James have some matters to discuss."

Standing, he frowned at both teens. Harry nodded, "I'll be alright. Just a bit of a shock, yeah?"

Finally acquiescing, Padfoot nodded. "Atrium afterwards then. We'll go to a late lunch." Turning to Hermione, he reminded her, "Black Family robes?"

She nodded, a bit of strength returning to her expression. "Got `em."

After the Floo flare died down, Lily asked the teens, "Do you want to talk about it?"

"What's there to say?" Harry whispered. "They set me up to use me for my money. I wouldn't be surprised if they `borrowed' a few galleons."

Her face sad, Hermione murmured, "We don't know that."

"Why wouldn't he say anything, then? Why wouldn't any of them? They all had to know! Even Ginny and Ron had to know! This kind of thing isn't a secret!"

Seeing Harry's temper ramping up, Lily wrapped him in a hug, while telling him, "Easy, son. Easy…"

Eventually, he nodded, indicating to Lily that he was under control again.

"It doesn't make sense, though," Hermione stated as she stared off into space. Turning back to the Potters, she explained, "The Weasleys' are dirt poor. While I'm sure that Mr Weasley's salary at the Ministry isn't a fortune, I would think that his pay as the Steward for the House of Richmond would more than offset any deficiencies…" Staring off into the ether, he mind jumped to different track.

"How did he have time for a job?" Focusing on Lily, Hermione asked, "I've seen what the Black family fortune entails and the management of that, in lieu of the Lord, would be a full time job. How did he have time to work his Ministry job?"

"I don't know, Hermione," Lily replied. Both teens' crestfallen expressions pulled at her heartstrings. "I know you both must feel betrayed right now, but let's see what Arthur has to say for himself."

Glancing at the clock, she stood, "We need to get cleaned up and changed if we're to be on time. Harry would you be a dear by making sure Neville is ready to go?" He nodded before silently standing.

As Lily headed toward her bedroom, she heard Harry whisper, "You're the only one who's ever been there for me. For `just Harry'."

Hermione's reply, "Because I love you," made Lily's heart sing.

.oOo.

Hermione emerged from the fire elegantly, Harry thought. Standing as tall as her five foot four allowed, she looked beautiful in her family robes. The large crest of the House of Blackmoor stood on her left breast. The gold embroidery about the cuffs of her robes indicated her status as heir to the line.

When they'd headed back to Gryffindor tower to change, she'd told him, "I'm a bit nervous about all this." Seeing Harry's frown, she added, "Not about being declared a Black or Sirius' heir, but just the whole `Pretend Pureblood' thing and what people might say." Before he could say anything, she smiled before adding in a sing song voice, "'Only the family matters', got it."

Neville was ready and waiting, his dark green robes embroidered similar to Hermione's except the crest of Longbottom stood on his chest. The Longbottoms qualified as `Ancient' as they were one of the founding families of the Wizengamot, but weren't `Noble' as they had never been elevated to the Peerage. Harry had found out from Sirius that there were only five `Ancient and Noble' families: Black, Potter, Jones, Boot and Abbot, though Black and Potter were the only Earls. Jones, Boot and Abbot were either Viscounts or, in the case of Boot, a Baron.

Harry's robes of dark blue with the red Welsh dragon on the chest had the Richmond crest overlaid. He, too, had the gold embroidery about his cuffs signifying his status as an heir to the Lordship of his house. He thought he, Hermione and Neville cut a fine figure as they followed Lily to the Wizengamot Convocation Hall. Unlike the courtrooms, which were Spartan and utilitarian on purpose, the Convocation Hall was lushly apportioned with a large box for a viewing section. Family members of the delegates to the Wizengamot always had two seats available for spouses and heirs to watch the proceedings while the press had to jockey with the public in vying for the remaining twelve seats.

Lily was dressed in robes similar to those Harry was wearing. The design of the dragon and the crest of Richmond indicated her as the Countess Richmond. Contemptuous, Harry noticed that many of the Ministry workers scuttled out of their way as Lily strode briskly toward the Convocation Hall. Had she not been the Lady Richmond, The-Mother-Who-Lived, most would have nearly knocked her down, knowing that she was muggleborn. The hypocrisy of magical Britain staggered him at times.

In due course, the foursome settled in their seats. Hermione occupying the `heir' seat for Blackmoor was halfway across the balcony. Neville was a bit closer in his `heir' seat, but still too far away for discussion. Leaning into his Mum, Harry asked, "Is this going to be…"

"Boring as hell?" Lily finished with a grin. When Harry shrugged while smiling, she shrugged back. "I don't know. Before everything went to hell in a hand basket that Halloween night, I'd only attended once before becoming pregnant with you. Neither of us felt too comfortable with my appearing in public while pregnant, so I didn't attend any other Convocation until now.

Harry nodded in understanding. He decided to be patient, so he drew a shrunken book from his pocket. Holding it out to Lily, she tapped it, resizing it so he could continue his studies. Halfway through his reading about magical potentiality and how to realize it, he heard the Sergeant at Arms call out, "Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Lords and Ladies, Members and Proxy Members of the Wizengamot of Great Britain and Northern Ireland call you to readiness to serve the subjects of Her Royal Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories, Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith!"

Eyes wide, he met Hermione's surprised gaze, "The Queen?" Hermione mouthed.

Harry held up his hands in bewilderment. Turning to Lily, he asked, "The Queen?"

She whispered in reply, "Long story for later."

"My Lords and Ladies, Members and Proxy Members of the Wizengamot, please be seated so we may begin," Dumbledore was heard to call over the rumble of voices. The noise quickly subsided as the old man waited. Harry was impressed with the man's presence in the chamber. Standing tall and regal, he controlled the assembly through his position and sheer force of personality.

Of late, Harry's attitude toward the Headmaster had oscillated like a windsock in a typhoon . Toward the beginning of the year, he'd felt near reverence for the old man. He was a saviour and a hero; the wizard who'd saved him from the tortuous life he'd experienced in Surrey.

After the disclosures about Dumbledore's role in Harry's abusive upbringing, Harry had felt a hatred that bordered that for his now imprisoned Aunt and Uncle. The man had sent him to hell and left him there, unmonitored.

Now, he was more confused about how he felt toward the man. Hatred or grudging respect? Loathing or a realistic appreciation for the man's achievements? Most clearly, Harry didn't trust Dumbledore in any way, shape or form. Frowning, he thrust the ponderings aside as irrelevant.

"We celebrate an historic occasion this day," Dumbledore began. Looking about the room, it seemed as if the old man made eye contact with all in the well apportioned chamber. "Today, we not only welcome back two of our members, but two High Lords of our Wizengamot. The Earl of Richmond and the Earl of Blackmoor return to us today; both heads of their families, both have lived through many trials and tribulations in order to return to us today, Both men stand before us today to be welcomed back to this august body of which their forefathers' stood as founders."

James and Sirius stood tall in the doorway of the Convocation Hall. Dressed in their finest robes, the gold embroidery on their sleeves wound up to nearly their shoulders. After Dumbledore gave a short bow to the men, he intoned, "My Lords, will you retake the seats of your forefathers so that this body may gain from your wisdom and guidance?"

Harry's eyebrows rose at the flowery language. When he leaned into his mother to ask, she anticipated him. "Just rhetoric. They even asked the Lestrange seat the same question when it changed hands."

With a wry smile, Harry turned back to watch the proceedings with keen interest.

.oOo.

"So, what did you think?" James asked his son. On Harry's other side, Hermione and Sirius were chatting, probably about the same topic, James reflected. Neville had a exam the next day in Charms, so he'd used the Floo to head back to school.

"Very interesting," Harry replied with a hint of enthusiasm. "I was fully prepared to be bored to tears, but it was very interesting." Prongs noticed a hint of aggression when Harry asked, "I noticed that Dumbledore was being especially nice and that Mr Weasley wasn't present."

"Dumbledore, for all his faults, is invariably polite," James replied, ignoring the second half of Harry's observation. It wasn't a topic to be discussed in the Ministry Atrium.

Catching his wife's eye, he asked, "Anthony's?" It was a four-star steak house that had a renowned lunch menu.

Lily nodded as she wrapped her arm in the crook of Hermione arm. Lily had become the self-appointed side along Apparator and general protector of the bushy haired witch, despite Sirius' protestations. Narrowing her eyes at Padfoot's protruding tongue, she Disapparated with a crack.

James took Harry, so it was a few minutes later when they were sat in a private room at the posh restaurant. Sirius ordered the wine for before while everyone studied his or her menu. He nearly began laughing when he heard Harry lean over to Hermione asking, "Do they have Bangers and Mash in all this?"

Her hissed reply of, "Harry!" was smothered under The Boy-Who-Lived's amused laughter. It was obvious to James that his son was winding the girl up so when she came to the same conclusion, he was ready for the change in expression from anger to annoyance to mild embarrassment.

With a hint of smugness, Prongs told Hermione, "Always remember that he's my son, too."

"As if I could ever forget," the teen muttered as she went back to her menu.

The meal passed quickly. All were hungry as the Convocation lasted far longer than expected. The Minister `was so moved by the return of the brave and noble members' that he felt `compelled' to speak for forty very long minutes extolling their virtues.

Sirius was less than impressed. "I'm wonderful and yet the order for The Kiss for me was still in effect a few short months ago. Hmmm…what a jackass."

James shrugged it off. Even though he was a member of the Wizengamot, he didn't consider himself a politician. The belief that politicians were parasites and scum was integral to his worldview. The protracted self-important arse kissing from Fudge merely reinforced that belief.

On the way to the Floo fireplace for the restaurant, Harry tugged his sleeve. "Dad? Can we talk about the steward situation when we get back?"

James frowned. He had an idea about the whole situation, but wanted to bounce it off Lily first. Talking with Harry couldn't hurt anything, though. "Sure."

Harry must have spoken to Hermione beforehand, because when they arrived back at the castle, she just squeezed Harry's hand before wordlessly heading back to Gryffindor tower to change her clothes.

Heading into the spare bedroom, James plopped into the chair by the fire, motioning for Harry to join him. "What's on your mind?"

Cutting to the chase, Harry told his Dad, "I want to be there when you confront Mr Weasley."

Leaning back in the chair, Prongs rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Why is that?" When Harry looked at him with a hint of incredulity, James amended, "I think I know the reason, but I don't want to assume that I'm right."

Visibly deflating, Harry leaned back in the chair, the internal fires quenching. "I just want to know why. Why they lied, why they befriended me and why…" he looked away. "Was it all a game for them? Did they think it was funny? `Hey, watch Potter beg for affection from Mum?' was that their idea of a good time?"

The bitterness in Harry's voice was palpable. "Arthur doesn't strike me as that kind of man. While Molly is a bit controlling…"

Harry interrupted, "A bit?"

Rolling his eyes, James continued, "Alright, a lot controlling. Even though they have their flaws, I doubt they were sadistic enough to be like that."

"Maybe…"

James felt a pinch in his heart as he saw another bit of his son's innocence slip away. Harry had suffered in so many ways over the years, that James felt helpless to stem this tide. "If it makes you feel better, you can be there, but it's just the two of us. Your mother and Hermione won't be there as this is official family business. I can square your presence due to your status as the Heir of the house, but no more."

Harry nodded, grimly relieved.

Clapping his son on the shoulder, he encouraged him, "Lighten up. It's not the end of the world. Go find your pretty girlfriend so she can drag you into a broom closet for a bit." When Harry blushed as he smiled, James added, "Seriously though, don't get worked up. Only…"

"The family matters," Harry finished.

"Right."

.oOo.

Remus looked up from his books. He'd been tasked by Filius to develop a regimen of spell work and rune enchantment so that Harry and Hermione would be able to control their magic with pinpoint accuracy as regards to power level applied in their spells. When it was complete, he would review it with Filius and Lily.

Easier said than done.

Despite the `little present' he'd left for Sirius, he was a bit down. Just like in school, he was alone. James had Lily, Sirius was beginning to regain his life (he'd been on three dates with Hestia Jones) and once again, Moony was alone.

Rubbing his face, he tried to shake off the self-pity. Being a lycanthrope was a difficult cross to bear at all times of the month, not just the three days of the full moon. Some Healers have speculated that an extension of the curse was a depressive personality that developed in the afflicted. Others hypothesized that the lifestyle of a werewolf was so `unfortunate' that depression was a result.

Either way, Remus was depressed.

He was beginning to get a handle on the programme that Filius had tasked him to create. The first stages were easy for he had leveraged well-known spells. Given their demonstration over the holidays, he was starting the teens with the Siege Engine spell as their baseline. He's smiled as he shook his head when he wrote that spell as the first in the series. As with the Patronus charm, most wizards and witches couldn't cast the Siege Engine, much less be standing afterwards. The rest of the list delved into the deepest reaches of magic of which mainline British magical society had never heard.

Conjuration of living animals, animation of noble metal statues, permanent enchantment of objects and the like were all on the list. He'd solicited his friends for ideas as well, resulting in Lily's addition of solo casting of high-powered wards, which Sirius had not only echoed but provided a list. Now Harry and Hermione would be learning how to cast transfiguration wards along with Memory charm and Confundus wards. Remus had been aware that the mental affecting wards were high power sumps, but had no idea how much magical power had been required. A quick check with James had resulted in Moony scheduling Rowan Hill to be warded with a Hostile Confusion ward, which would drive off any invaders who possessed ill intent. The notes for the ritual were eleven pages long but Padfoot and Moony expected both teens to cast the ward over the next weekend.

Focusing on his work helped, somewhat. Nevertheless, in the end, Remus Lupin lived a loveless life. A very sensitive man, he screamed for a mate, a person with whom he could share all of himself, but who would want to share their life with a slavering monster? No one, that's who.

The opening door distracted him from his morose thoughts.

"Hullo James, how'd it go?" Remus asked disinterestedly as he returned to his books.

"Fine. I need to talk to you about something fairly important."

Frowning, Remus looked up. Since returning to the time stream, Prongs had changed significantly. Where he'd once been a jolly, mischievous man who would occasionally lapse into seriousness, his old friend's personality seemed to flip. Now, he would occasionally slip into `Prongs' where most of the time, he was `Lord Richmond'. No doubt Harry's upbringing and his own perception of his failure as a father was the root cause.

Indicating the empty chair across from him, Remus asked, "What's on your mind?"

"Tomorrow, I'm going to give Arthur Weasley the sack as steward of the house of Richmond."

Remus nodded, he'd expected that since the discussion earlier in the day. Lily had filled him in on the particulars. Remus felt a bit of culpability, for it never occurred to him to explain to Harry, and to a lesser extent Hermione, about Arthur's role in the Potter family.

"I completely understand," Remus replied when James fell silent.

The following look that James gave his old friend gave Moony the shivers. The intensity and raw emotion was startling. "I need you to do something very important for me and my family, Remus."

Surprised at being addressed by his name, for despite the changes in James, he still addressed his lycanthropic friend as Moony. In all sincerity, Remus replied, "Anything. You've but to name it."

James' eyes flashed in triumph. "Then be the new steward for my house. You and your heirs."

Nonplussed, Remus stared. Finally, he croaked, "James…" in a weak protest.

Gaze unwavering, James pressed, "I need you to do this, Remus."

"No," Remus replied with the hint of a snarl. He'd always been a bit vain about his finances, now his pride was screaming that this was charity from his wealthy friend. "I am well off enough in my own right now due to your bequest; I don't need any more of the Potter gold."

Remus pushed his chair back when James exploded out of his chair, incensed. "Damn you Moony! You just said `anything' didn't you? This isn't about you, you bloody prick!"

Infuriated, James swept Remus' books from the table. "You're the only one I trust! Only you, Remus! This isn't about your problem, damn your stiff neck!"

As the last shout echoed through the room, Remus stood, "Really? Then why now?"

Rolling his eyes, James replied, "You stupid pillock. Just this morning I found out that my current steward completely abnegated his responsibilities to the point where he never identified himself to his supposed overlord. With everyone believing that Lils and I died, Harry was his Lord, yet he told him nothing."

More softly, Prongs beseeched his friend, "Dammit Moony, I need you. You're the only one I trust. As much as I love him, Sirius is barely getting through his days; Azkaban hurt him too deeply. On top of it, he has his own business to manage. Harry is far too young and has a fairly important task that takes priority," he snarked. "I trust you. Lily trusts you. We both agree that we need you to do this."

"But," Remus whispered, "I'd be your employee, not your friend."

The slap on his cheek was unexpected.

Looking at his friend, with shocked surprise, Remus gaped at James who stood there glaring and panting with emotion.

"You are first, last and always Remus Lupin, Moony of the Marauders and one of my closest friends. You will be the godfather of any other children Lily and I are blessed with having. The reason I offer this position to you is because I know that you can do this and not let it interfere with our relationship. Never, ever, imply that you are my employee. You are my brother." James' puffing eased as he calmed somewhat.

"Sorry," Remus offered. "You're right. It would never happen. I'm sorry."

James reply was to pull his brother into a rough embrace. "I don't know if I've ever said it, but I love you, Moony. We're all of us standing into danger and I want you to know that I respect and love you like few other men. Sirius and my father are the only others in the same category."

Blinking in surprise for James had revered his father; Remus merely hugged his brother in return before murmuring, "Very well. I'll do it."

At that moment, Sirius barged into the room. James turned before immediately falling to the floor in hysterics. Remus grinned widely; his prank had finally born fruit.

Sirius stood there with his skin blaze orange while purple polka dots marched across the bridge of his nose before doing a lap around his face. His poison green hair stood up in a three foot Mohawk. The miasma emanating from the rear of Padfoot was reminiscent of a cesspool. "Which of you fuckers did this?" he squeaked in a high pitched voice.

Moony's grin became a chuckle. "Mischief managed."

.oOo.

Hermione was in the library doing her best to control her more `primal' instincts. Whenever he looks at me like that…urgh, I can't get anything done!

More plainly, she wanted to shag her boyfriend's brains out.

Harry was sitting across from her, his nose deep in a charms text as he studied the basics behind healing magic. They'd all agreed that both teens needed a basic healing course, similar to that which soldiers receive as part of their instruction in the armies of the world.

Offering to take the lead on the studying, Harry had diligently culled books from the library's surprisingly massive collection of healing texts. A few gems had been found which focused exactly on their needs. The Casualty Healer's Guide was far too in depth, but steered him in the right direction.

Hermione reflected on his efforts causing her to smile. She'd always known that Harry was smart. She'd also known that he was extremely attractive. Put the two together and she arrived with one very distracted and bothered Smartest Witch of the Age.

Shaking her head in the hope to clear her thoughts, she readdressed her own reading. This ward that Sirius and Remus had them casting this weekend was a big one. She had completed the Arithmantic equations to cast the ward and to integrate it into the complex ward schema at Rowan Hill. The seven pages of differential equations was a wonderfully complex task into which she threw herself. Comparing her results to Lily's, Remus' and Sirius' she was proud that they were all within tolerance levels of each other. The simple part was left; casting a ward that would leave her and Harry drained for a day or so.

What about the Weasleys'? she wondered to herself. That hurt ran deep. Despite her and Ronald's constant bickering, she did see him as a friend. Hermione didn't have too many friends so the appearance that he'd never been a friend at all hurt her deeply.

I can't even imagine how Harry feels. Betrayal and hurt compounded with anger and resentment with an undercurrent of fear, most likely. Thank God, his parents returned to his life, they'd probably saved his life.

Tomorrow James was going to confront Mr Weasley and Harry was going to be there. They'd already discussed the issue and she was going to remind him of the thing that they'd discussed. Don't Say Anything. Let Your Dad Handle Everything.

It was interesting. For in the previous few weeks Harry had been `the calm one' in most situations, some of which he'd even calmed his parents and `adult' relatives. She felt good that she was able to be there for him when he displayed his admirable humanity. Harry was far from perfect; she knew that. However, he was perfect for her.

He didn't like their mutually agreed path of silent observation during the forthcoming discussion, but agreed it was probably the best course of action. The anger and other emotions he'd already shown were very strong and neither of them wanted him to derail the discussion. All the Potters wanted the truth from Arthur but Hermione was afraid that the reason would circle back to Dumbledore. The old Headmaster had proven to be a meddler when it suited his worldview.

She was even more afraid that it wouldn't come back to the man because then it meant the Weasleys' were probably just common thieves.

Looking across the table again, she saw him watching her. Her breath caught in her throat when he smiled that damnable smile. Giving in to her desires, she stood. While extending her hand across the table, she told him, "Come on. We've some very serious things to discuss in your parents' suite."

Puzzled, he took her hand as they left their books on the table. "We do?"

"Yes. In the guest room."

Smiling like the cat with the canary, he echoed, "You're right, we do have very important discussions to work through."

She squeaked when he pinched her bum, but smiled nonetheless.

.oOo.

Harry was alone as he paced in his father's study. James was in the library looking for a few things as they waited for Arthur Weasley to arrive. He and Hermione had discussed it repeatedly: you must remain calm. Anger and other emotion will only make a tense situation that much the worse.

But damn if he wasn't mad as hell.

All his life at the Dursleys' they'd made Harry the fool, the freak. He thought he'd be free of that once he left them behind, but it seemed all too clear that he was once again being made the fool. Arthur Weasley, a man whom he'd once liked very much and even tentatively respected - which was a significant feat for a boy who had been so abused - Arthur had played him the fool it seemed.

Back and forth he paced, his anger waxing and waning as he remembered Hermione's counsel, "Be the man I know you can be." They had been cuddling in bed, awash in the afterglow of their love. Could he let her down by succumbing to his thirst for retribution? Never.

A startling thought occurred to him. "Rauri," he called with a hint of a tremor in his voice.

The next moment, a pop sounded as the house elf appeared. Bowing stiffly, he asked, "My Lord?"

Cutting to the chase, Harry asked, "Rauri, why did you never try to find me when I was a baby?"

The usually stoic house elf quickly melted into a puddle of remorse. "I am sorry, my Lord. I could tell that you were alive, but try as I might, I could not find you. Falling to his knees, he prostrated himself, "I know of your sufferings and had I tried harder, I'm sure I could have found you. I…I…"

The elf was weeping now. Moved by his obvious and sincere remorse, Harry fell to his knees. Gathering the old elf into his arms, Harry murmured, "I forgive you Rauri. I'm sure that you did your best in trying to find me."

"Every day, my Lord. Every day for half the day I searched Britain for you."

With a small smile, Harry ventured, "And for the other half you attended your duties here?" to which the now sniffling house elf nodded. "Do you know why you couldn't find me?"

"No, my Lord. There was strong magic about you that interfered with my usual sensing of your presence. Since you returned to the house over Halloween, I've always been able to find you, even at Hogwarts." After a sniffle, he whispered, "I'm sorry."

"You are a good and loyal elf, Rauri. You have my thanks and gratitude for your service." Hermione wasn't the only person to read the etiquette books.

"My Lord is too kind," the old elf replied as he wiped his face.

Shaking his head, Harry countered, "No, you are too kind. That will be all, Rauri. I give you my thanks for your efforts past and present."

With an extremely deep bow, Rauri popped away. It was with a sad smile that Harry heaved himself into the chair next to the fire. Running his hands through his hair, he tried to calm down. It'd been a shock when he realized that Rauri had never come for him. The evidence that house elves always knew where their family was had thrown him. He'd come to care for the family retainer and the moment of panic engendered by his realization had been disturbing. He'd wondered if Rauri had chosen not to rescue Harry. The question before him now was why couldn't Rauri find him?

Knowing next to nothing about House Elves and their abilities, he decided to shelve the discussion. He'd just heard the Floo roar in the entry hall. Arthur Weasley had arrived.

Before Harry was ready, the door to the study opened. A pasty-faced Arthur preceded James into the room. Harry's eyes snapped to the man's face. The usually happy expression was long gone. The eyes that usually twinkled in mirth or curiosity were dull as he avoided Harry's searching gaze.

Frustrated at the man's avoidance, Harry hissed, "Good morning, Mr Weasley."

Slowly, Arthur lifted his head. His expression sad, he nodded, "Good morning, Harry."

"Don't you mean, `my Lord'?" Harry harshly countered.

Wincing, the patriarch of the cadet branch of the Weasley family nodded. "Yes, that's true. I apologize, my Lord."

James followed Arthur into the room, glaring at Harry as he mouthed, "Not now." This was neither the time nor place for the young man to vent his spleen. Feeling a bit ashamed for losing control, Harry nodded to his father in a mute apology.

James took his seat behind his massive mahogany desk, Harry stood at his father's shoulder. Arthur was not invited to sit.

"I've spent the previous few days with the goblins at Gringotts. You've done fairly well, steward. Not only does it appear that none of our funds are missing nor did any investments lose their value due to negligence or mismanagement, but you've grown the trust a modest four percent over the last thirteen years."

James paused, watching Arthur. Finally, the redheaded man replied, "Thank you, my Lord. I have strived to fulfil the obligation of my forefathers."

James narrowed his eyes, "Then explain your behaviour toward my son. To the world at large, Lady Richmond and I were dead, so our son was your overlord. Why did you fail to inform him of not only your role, but his position and his assets?"

It was the decisive moment. Harry gritted his teeth as he curled his nails into his palm to keep from lashing out at the man. It was a bit anti-climactic, though.

Arthur's mouth opened and closed, but no sound came out. His face showed an internal strain, but the man was unable to speak.

Completely confused, Harry nearly missed his father's sigh of frustration. Leaning back in his chair, James asked, "Let's try this. I shall ask `yes' or `no' questions. If the answer is no, leave the room, then come back. Understand?"

"Yes, my Lord," Arthur replied with a hint of relief in his voice.

"Are you under a secrecy spell of some kind?"

The steward of the family stayed in his spot.

"Do you know who placed you under this spell?" Arthur left the room.

"Damn," James muttered. Raking his hand through his unruly hair, he stared at his desk as Arthur re-entered the room. Turning to Harry, his father told him, "That's why he didn't tell you, he was unable to speak of it."

"But what of his family?" Harry countered with a hint of aggression. James' cocked eyebrow was sufficient to cow The Boy-Who-Lived.

Turning back to Arthur, James asked, "Did your family know of your stewardship for our estate?"

The frustration was back on the man's face so James narrowed the question. "Did your wife know?"

With a sigh of relief, Arthur stayed put. "Is she under the same spell?" The perplexed expression on Arthur's face led James to conclude, "You don't know. Does Ronald or Ginevra or any of your older children know of your duties?"

Arthur left the room.

"Damn!" Harry exclaimed.

He wanted to yell, rant and rave at the man. He wanted to expiate all the pain and sense of betrayal he felt by tearing the man to virtual shreds, but here it seems that the entire family was either bound in some secrecy spell or ignorant of the situation.

"Look, we know some things," James told his son as Arthur returned. Indicating the older man with his thumb, James listed, "We know that he was bound in this spell when his oldest was young and after we were sent into the ether. Therefore, that had to happen in late '81 or early '82. That leaves the next question, `Who would gain by isolating you from your inheritance?' The world believed your Mum and me dead, so it was Harry and the Potter trust, not James and Potter trust that was the target."

Harry nearly growled, "Dumbledore?"

Shrugging his reply, James turned back to Arthur. "Despite the good work you've done, I'm sure you realize why you'll no longer be our steward; you'll be unable to communicate with my heir about the status of his estate when he inherits. You know Remus Lupin," they'd all been in the Order during the First War, "Contact him at Hogwarts to begin the turnover of your accounts and duties."

Through his bewilderment, Harry saw his father impulsively reach for a scrap of parchment. Scribbling down a number, James folded it before handing it to the now fired Potter steward. "This shall be your severance pay, I'll have it transferred to your vaults. I'm sorry it has to be this way, Arthur, but you and presumably your heirs can't function in your hereditary roles any longer."

Harry barely noticed his father rising to escort Arthur to the Floo. Slumping into his chair, Harry tried to wrap his head around what just happened. Arthur Weasley and the Potters. Arthur Weasley and the family money. Arthur Weasley and Harry's role…

"Dad," Harry began as a thought occurred to him.

"Yeah?" James replied as he flopped on the couch.

"What if the goal wasn't to separate me from the family legacy, but to separate Mr Weasley from our family?"

Eyes round, James stared off into the distance. "Hunh. But why?"

"Why keep me away from our legacy?" Harry countered.

Rolling his eyes, James mock beckoned to Harry, "Because we're bloody rich and keeping you away from our massive vaults keeps you under wraps."

"But that indicates Dumbledore," Harry concluded.

"Or a Death Eater." When Harry scrunched his face in disbelief, James added, "They would want you weak and an easy target. Living with that scum that Albus sent you to had you pretty downtrodden, yeah?"

His face closing a bit, Harry nodded as he looked at the ground.

The cushion sinking caused Harry to look into his father's eyes as James settled next to his son. "It's not your fault," James whispered, a hint of a tear in his eye. "You did nothing wrong, but someone like Lucius Malfoy wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of that state of affairs."

"How would he know?"

"Hire an investigator."

"Oh."

"He'd also do it for petty vengeance. On more than one occasion the Potter family has stuck it to those bloody invaders in the Wizengamot."

Half smiling, Harry asked, "Invaders?"

"Yeah, those Norman pricks. Bunch of Johnny come lately-s. Think their shite doesn't stink and butterflies and sunshine emanate from their collective superior arses."

Now Harry was chuckling as he smiled. He knew his Dad was trying to cheer him up, but that didn't distract him. It made him love his father even more.

"How much did you give him for severance?" Harry asked.

"Hundred thousand galleons."

Harry whistled at the amount, but wasn't surprised. His Dad was generous, and it was a fraction of what Arthur had earned for the family. The severance was for not only Arthur, but his heirs as well. Nodding, he relaxed a bit.

"This stuff is pretty stressful," Harry admitted.

"Yeah." After a moment of silence, James playfully slapped Harry's thigh, "Come on. This deserves a visit to Quality Quidditch Supplies. We'll get some tickets to the next United match and maybe browse for something wonderful for our brilliant ladies in Storio Ale. I like the Cardiff shopping area better than Diagon Alley, there's usually not so many crowds."

Smiling, Harry jumped to his feet. He'd been thinking about a gift for Hermione but hadn't the time to get away from the school without her at his side. Following his Dad to the Floo, he had a fleeting thought about how wonderful it was to do something so ordinary with his Father.

.oOo.

The whole family had gathered. James' message to Lily, "We're fine, unexpected developments. Will return for dinner," had Sirius frothing at the mouth all afternoon. It was endearing to Hermione to see Sirius so concerned for his godson. Nonetheless, everyone waited in James and Lily's suite for the afternoon.

Remus was still working out the power exercises. Hermione read Arithmancy, asking Sirius a question now and again while Lily was brewing Remus' Wolfsbane. "I'm a far better brewer than Severus has ever been," she commented to break the silence. "Technically he's a good brewer, but he has no subtlety."

Hermione had supressed a snicker at the comment. It was rather amusing for Lily to accuse Snape of having no subtlety, as it was the dour Potion Master's favourite epithet towards Harry and Neville.

Other than Lily's potion progressing in its natural course, no one got much accomplished. Every few minutes, Hermione was checking the clock to see how much longer it was until five, when Harry and James were expected to return.

Finally, the fireplace fired green as the Floo connection opened. Of course, Harry tumbled out first shortly followed by James elegantly stepping out of the fireplace. Hurrying to her young man, she helped him to his feet after casting a quick Cleansing charm.

Disregarding the packages in his hands, she asked, "How did it go?"

His expression was a bit confused with a hint of frustration. "Strangely," he replied. Motioning to the table, he added, "Dad'll explain it. It didn't go as expected."

Forcing herself to be patient, she occupied herself by pouring tea for Sirius, Harry and her. After arranging her tea (one sugar), Harry's (milk with one sugar) and Sirius' (far too much sugar for any human to safely consume), she sat next to Harry to hear James' explanation.

"Well, it seems that Arthur is under a binding spell or potion that prevents him from speaking to a Potter about his being the steward of our estates."

Flummoxed, she sat there staring at her boyfriend's father for a long minute before he brain re-engaged. She'd been bracing herself for betrayal by the Weasleys or subterfuge and manipulation from the Headmaster, but not this.

"But who cast this spell or applied the potion?" Hermione and Lily asked at the same time.

In the corner of her eye, she saw Harry smile. Sirius and Remus were still staring open mouthed at their old friend while Lily and Hermione wore the same narrow-eyed inquiring expression.

"Arthur didn't know, or so he claimed," James answered as he sat back in his chair. Flopping his head back, he stared at the ceiling as he held up the first finger on his hand, "Harry and I batted it back and forth. It could be Dumbledore trying to keep his Child of Prophecy under his thumb by denying him access to the family funds."

Hermione bristled at the thought, but she'd expected that to be a possibility. James held up the next finger on his hand, "Or it could be a Death Eater who was trying to exact revenge on Harry for his unwitting defeat of Voldemort. Said Death Eater didn't know where Harry was, but it was fairly common knowledge that Arthur was the family steward. He or she could be acting against Harry through Weasley."

The next finger ticked up, "It's an unpleasant thought, but it's possible that Weasley cast the spell on himself and Molly in order to embezzle funds. The Goblins haven't found anything missing, but with a fortune as large as ours…"

"It's easy to miss a few thousand here and there," Sirius finished with a growl.

Nodding, James ticked up the fourth finger, "Or, heaven help us, it's a completely unknown player with completely unknown motives."

Hermione groaned. That was worst case. What if it was someone completely outside of the Voldemort War circle of aggression? What if a family with a six-century-old grievance against the Potters was attempting to exact vengeance? How was she supposed to discover a completely faceless aggressor with unidentified aims?

"Well, that just sucks arse."

Rolling her eyes, Hermione snarked, "Thanks, Sirius, that's ever so helpful."

"Well, I'm just saying…" his smile was evident in his tone.

"Shut it, Sirius," Lily commanded in a distracted tone. "This is bad."

"Yes, it is," Remus agreed as he stared off into space, deep in thought. Rousing, he asked, "Are Arthur and Molly willing to submit to testing to determine the nature of the curse?"

Nodding, James answered, "He indicated they were."

"So we start there," Lily announced. Standing, she began to pace. "First we isolate the type of magic and then, if we can, determine the duration it's been in place." Muttering to herself, she tapped her nose as she thought. "But that won't tell us `who', only `when'."

Glancing about the room, she announced, "I'm going for a walk. I'll be back in a bit."

Hermione looked to Sirius for an explanation. Shrugging, he elaborated, "She does this. There's a problem that she worries like a dog with a bone. Instead of chewing, she walks. I think she must have walked a gajillion miles during OWL and NEWT years."

An unsettled expression settled on Padfoot's expression. Standing he narrowed his eyes at James. "I think I'll take a little walk, too."

The relieved reply from James, "Thanks, mate," confused Hermione until Harry piped up.

"Should I go, too?"

Divining Sirius' intent now, she rolled her eyes, "Your Mum is a big girl now Harry. She's duelled Voldemort on more than one occasion."

"So?" Harry countered, his voice hard. Taken aback by his tone, she looked to him. Seeing his eyes narrowed, she waited for him to explain. "I'd do the same for you and anyone else I love. It's not that I think Mum can't take care of herself, it's more that she's too precious to lose."

Deciding that this wasn't some `stupid guy thing', she gave him the benefit of the doubt. "I understand, but think that Sirius is bodyguard enough." Turning to the preoccupied James, she asked, "He'll be Padfoot?"

Prongs reply was a curt nod.

Nodding to herself, she stood to dig up the book she'd found a few days ago. Magical Diagnoses should prove to be interesting reading right about now.

.oOo.

The Dog was Man, yet the Man was Dog.

The huge Grim trotted down the halls of the castle, his nose automatically finding the scent for which he searched. His unerring senses shortly brought him alongside the redheaded witch.

Flopping open, the muzzle of the Grim gave a wide doggy smile when she didn't notice his presence for a few minutes. Finally, she gave a start when she noted the two hundred pound dog walking next to her.

"Dammit, Padfoot! You scared the shit out of me," Lily chastised the Dog with a smile on her face.

His soft wuf wuf was his only reply.

Frowning, she asked, "Are you my bodyguard?"

Becoming Man once again, Sirius replied, "There are two Death Eaters in the castle, LIls. I knew you'd hurt Prongs if he trotted after you, so I came instead."

Nodding absently, she muttered, "Thanks," before resuming her trek.

Knowing her mind was driving her body to move, he didn't take her behaviour seriously. Becoming Dog again, he fell into step with her, a dozen or so paces behind her. It was far enough back so that she wouldn't be distracted by his presence, but close enough so that he could intervene should something untoward occur. He had enough practice in the Forbidden Forest keeping Moony under wraps to know the full capabilities of Dog.

The scents of the castle were always overwhelming. Food from the great hall, the horrid stink from the potions laboratories, the rank smell of unwashed teenager and the funk of a castle that had stood for over a thousand years combined to create a series of odours that were decidedly unpleasant.

Used to it from so many years ago, he shoved it aside, focusing on his hearing to discern any threat to his cousin-in-law who was a sister in all but blood.

There was a rustling ahead that preceded a haughty voice which called, "Look, it's the Mudblood-Who-Wouldn't-Have-The-Good-Manners-To-Die."

Beginning to run, he heard Lily reply, "You little shite. I've killed better men than you'll ever be. Run away, little boy. I'll let you live if you say sorry before scuttling back to your hole. I've not forgotten your part in my son's injuries not that long ago."

Dog could now see a group of youngsters who were thoroughly cowed by the irate witch. He could smell alcohol and a potion that was fashionable amongst the young, wealthy and stupid as it created a high that was unmatched by muggle narcotics.

"Apologize to a Mudblood whore?" Malfoy laughed. "You stupid cunt…" The intoxicated boy never finished his thought as the enormous Dog landed on his chest after a mighty leap. Both tumbled to the ground as the other intoxicated teens shouted incoherently.

Quickly becoming Man again, Sirius stood over his undesirable cousin's spawn. Draco paled when he recognized the Lord of the house of Blackmoor. "My Lord…"

The slap to the boy's cheek silenced him.

"Maggot," Sirius hissed. "You dare say those things." The hand on his shoulder stopped him.

"I've already summoned Minerva. She'll deal with these children." Her dismissal of the Malfoy heir seemed to infuriate the boy further. Catching her drift, Sirius smiled as he casually placed his foot on Draco's hand. He put just enough weight on his foot to hurt the boy, but not break any bones.

"Are you well, milady?" Sirius asked with a serious expression behind the light tone.

"I'm well, thank you, my Lord. These little vermin have actually helped me solve a little piece of my riddle for the evening."

The other students groaned when they heard the exchange. Sirius smiled, as he knew their parents were going to rout them for this incredible insult. The Potters and Blacks were not only incredibly well known, but also incredibly wealthy. The approaching hurried footsteps of Minerva made the crowd groan once again.

"You just wait, you fucking Mudblood," Draco hissed from the ground. Glaring at Sirius, he said, "You Blood Traitor, you and your whore there will get what's coming to you soon enough."

"Mister Malfoy!"

Minerva had arrived, it was time for Padfoot and Lily to depart.

.oOo.

Holding hands, they headed back to the tower. "I have no idea how to feel right now."

She looked at him with a small smile, "I know how you feel."

Harry shook his shaggy head, "I was all ready to hate Mr Weasley or find more reasons to hate Dumbledore but now…"

"Now we've one more riddle in front of us," Hermione finished for him as she wound her arm behind his back. She lay her head on his shoulder for a moment before adding, "Which is just the latest mystery."

Searching his memory, he eventually twigged her meaning; who were the Death Eaters who attacked her and Sirius in the Alley? Were they acting on their own or under orders from some unnamed (or worse yet a named) leader?

The entire family had discussed this many times. It was highly unlikely that Voldemort had forgotten that he'd sent the Potters forward in time, so James had been adamant that everyone in the extended family be on their guard. As the Dark Lord had shown in the teens' first year, even as a wraith he could command his followers

Harry had snarled, "Pettigrew," to which all present nodded in agreement.

They'd all been expecting attacks from the remnants of, or a reconstituted force of Death Eaters, but none had happened. That, combined with Dumbledore's games, had the family cycling from tense to relaxed and back.

"So, the Weasleys'?" Harry asked, bringing her back to the present.

Shaking her head in mild exasperation, she told him, "I think we play it by ear. Ron's stopped his stupid comments, which is nice. Ginny's cold shoulder has run its course." Smiling she leaned into her boyfriend which caused a shiver of thrill to run up his spine, "You know she still wants you."

"Too bad. I'm yours," he growled playfully before pulling her into an alcove to snog for a moment. A few moments later, they were back on the move.

"I guess we just play it by ear. "

"Hmm," he mused. "I hate to say it, but I don't think that I can trust Mr and Mrs Weasley. Even if we find out that they were completely innocent in this whole matter, I don't think…" he trailed off, his tone bleak.

Wrapping her arm in his, she was silent. Much was learned, yet little had been resolved.

.oOo.

"Is everyone ready?"

"Not yet, my Lord. I've contacted all but three names on the list. The rest are ready to do your bidding at the appointed hour."

"And the other three?"

"We know where two are: one is faithful, the other is unknown. I've just learned that the last is also with the other two. He is a traitor."

"Very good, Wormtail. You've done surprisingly well. Surprisingly well…"

A/N

1. I own nothing. Thanks to all who reviewed the first eight chapters. Story status, as always, can be found on my Author's page on FanFiction(dot)net.

2. Recommendation for the chapter is Mage Rising by DeusExMatty. An interesting story about how a few changes during the Battle for the Department of Mysteries change the timeline. Hopefully, the author will continue.

3. My apologies to all. Last chapter I said that the Black Forest was in Bavaria. Barkeeper has informed me that it is NOT in Bavaria, but rather in Baden-Württemberg. Thanks Barkeeper for the pickup.

4. I'm scared. This story was going to end when the family returned to Hogwarts after becoming better acquainted. I was going to do some quick fades through the tasks and we'd be at the end. I figured about 50-60k words. The problem was that Chapter Five wouldn't stop. It was supposed to be the end of the story, then Snape had to show up being his nasty self after which Lily handed him his arse. The story just kept rolling. Here I am at Chapter 9 and am approaching 110k words. Oh, crap.

This chapter has broken the story wide open. You see, I don't sketch out a story ahead of time. That approach to a story kills my muse quickly (that's what happened with To Stand Against the Darkness). Usually, I have an opening scene/image that starts it along with a general direction e.g.: kill Voldemort. I try to get my head around the characters in order to let them drive the story. Their decisions and actions drive the plot (you know, like in real life?). I've no idea where the story is going, but I feel like I just stepped into the abyss. This story is going to be fucking huge and that scares the crap out of me. Stand by for much much more.

Chapter complete 9/25/2011

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->