Unofficial Portkey Archive

sweeten my life by ayumi-nb
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

sweeten my life

ayumi-nb

A sweet (pun intended), short little fic. All fluff and no drama. Or plot. I think.

Rating is for one tiny curse word.

.
.
.

"sweeten my life"

(post-ootp, 6th year au // Harry pops the last piece of the sweet candy into his mouth.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is an odd sight.

Harry doesn't think he's ever seen Ron pestering Hermione about something, really, the bloke's probably the laziest person alive. But, there he is, trying to convince Hermione to eat some new candies he ordered from Honeydukes last week (and he should know better than to try and force Hermione into something, the girl has an iron will-plus, she's deathly accurate with her hexes when pissed off).

"Come on, Hermione! I can't believe you don't like sweets!"

"I'm not asking you to believe me, Ronald."

"You ate some during summer, at Harry's birthday. Why can you eat some now?"

Hermione huffs, turns the page of her book and looks up at Ron from her confortable place on the armchair. "First of all, I made an exception this summer because it was Harry's birthday. Second, I won't do it again."

Ron's face grows slightly red and he glares at her. "So, you'll do things for Harry but not for me?"

"Yes."

At this point, the Common Room is silent, all Gryffindors watching the verbal match, but Harry starts to think it'd be better if he broke the argument now before it escalated into insults (but the little voice in his head that tells him his interruption will do more harm than good stops him).

"Don't you think that's unfair? We're both your best friends."

"Ronald, my parents are dentists. They pretty much ruined all kind of sweets for me with their endless lecture about oral hygiene."

"That doesn't answer my question."

Hermione sighs and fidgets with the pages of her book before raising her eyes. "Yes, Ron, you're both my best friends. But what I feel for you it's completely different compared to what I feel for Harry."

There's a lull in the conversation, and someone gasp aloud. That seems to catch the attention of the duo, making them aware of the audience they'd gathered, of which Harry now realizes he is right in front.

"Er…"

Hermione looks at him briefly, blushes ever so lightly, and turns back to her book. Harry looks at Ron for help but the red-haired boy is giving a withering glare that almost has him stepping back (you never know with the Weasley temper).

Ultimately, Ron only lets out a sigh and hands over the candy bars. "Here, Harry, you try it."

Smiling slightly, Harry takes the offered sweet. "Thanks, Ron," he says, unwraps one of the candy bars, and takes a bite. "Hm. They're good."

But instead of agreeing, Ron groans in frustration. "No, you idiot! I meant to say that you try to convince Hermione eat the candies!"

"Oh."

Hermione grins at this, but otherwise does nothing to show she's interested in anything other than her book. When Ron plops down on the couch and motions for him to go with it, Harry turns his attention to Hermione, while still savouring the sweets. He walks towards her, stops right in front of her, and tilts his head in concentration. Now, he knows he could try to persuade her, but she's obviously been mentally preparing herself to argue her way out of it. Not only that, when it comes to words, there's no one better that Hermione, Harry knows this well.

So, it'll come down to actions, but… Huh.

Well, there's always… that.

"It's not going to work, Harry."

Oh, but he has a highly unconventional idea that might very well work now. Still, he tilts his head again and shrugs. Hermione smiles in triumph, not looking away from her book, and from a brief second Harry is aware of all his housemate sighing in disappointment at what they perceive is his obvious surrender, but then his world narrows down to the girl sitting in front of him.

Harry pops the last piece of the sweet candy into his mouth, bends over Hermione, grabs her chin and without waiting for a reaction, kisses her.

If he had been aware of his surrounding, Harry would have seen the shocked expression of his housemates. As it is, he's too busy enjoying the feel of her lips, that although unmoving at first, are slowly returning the caress. He takes that as his cue to pry her lips open and push his tongue inside her mouth. Hermione lets out a tiny, inaudible moan and just like that, Harry pulls away from her. He counts the seconds it takes her to realize what just happened, then her jaw drops, and he smiles.

Because the last piece of the candy bar he'd eaten is in her mouth.

Hermione glares at him, placing a hand over her mouth. "Did you… do that only to make me eat the bloody candy?!"

His smile widens, but he only hums in response.

"How… how could…?"

Before the hurt settles over her, as he's sure it will, he makes his move-hoping it will be enough for her to get what he really wants to say. Kneeling at her feet, Harry grazes his finger over her cheek gently, and gives her his best mischievous smile. "Hermione, if you ever want to taste these candy bars again, just… let me know, yeah?"

When the realization shines in her eyes, he knows they're going to be good. So, he stands up and goes straight to his room, wondering if the candy bars are really necessary and if so, how much it will take to arrange weekly deliveries from Honeydukes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~

fin.

.
.
.

Was it good? :)

(fixed some tipos)

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->