Unofficial Portkey Archive

Summer of Despair and Hope by Golasgil Sindar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Summer of Despair and Hope

Golasgil Sindar

Chapter 1: At Hermione's

Hermione was worried. This was nothing new to her; certainly the subject of her worry was nothing new. Hermione had been worrying about Harry Potter for most of the last six years. She sat in her room, in her favorite reading spot, the book nook as she called it. Her father had built several large bookshelves into the corner by her window and a nicely padded bench in front of the window itself.

Two days ago she had started reading this massive volume on Occulmency. She was beginning to get tired of reading. "Well" she thought, "I have been reading nearly the entire day." She got up and stretched. Then walked around her room, pausing to pickup Crookshanks and pet him as she walked. She decided she was making progress, Occulmency now made sense and she felt she could start helping Harry learn it when next they were together. "Oh why didn't I work with him on this during school Crookshanks? He just can't learn from Professor Snape."

Her thoughts went back to three days ago, when she had last seen Harry. It was on platform 9 3/4, just after their train ride home from a disastrous fifth year at Hogwarts. Harry had seemed so lost that day, he hadn't even said goodbye, just waved and walked away. Hedwig had arrived at her window yesterday morning with no message. Apparently Harry had just sent her. She had immediately sat down and written him a letter.

Dear Harry,

I think Hedwig lost your letter, she arrived without it. What are your plans for the beginning of the summer? I know you can't leave there for the next four weeks but you could certainly get all that homework done so you would have August free when we can get you out of there. I have spoken to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley they agree that on August 1st they will pick you up and take you to the Burrow. Wouldn't that be just great? I hope to hear from you soon.

Love Hermione

NO

She glanced at her letter again, still surprised. He had simply written NO on her letter and sent it back. Just what was that supposed to mean? No WHAT? Grrr that boy could be so frustrating sometimes. When she had gotten that reply this morning she had written Professor Dumbledore.

Professor Dumbledore,

I am very concerned about Harry. He needs our help now! He cannot be allowed to stay alone at that house for four whole weeks. I think Harry needs a counselor, someone whom he can trust with all these emotions he is keeping bottled up inside of him. Please send Remus to check on him immediately!

Thank you for your help in this.

Hermione Granger

Hedwig had returned an hour ago. Dumbledore had sent only a short reply.

Miss Granger,

I agree with your assessment. Harry needs help immediately. I believe I can arrange exactly what is needed.

Thank you

Albus Dumbledore

Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Hedwig was still here. Hermione had gotten her a bowl of water and after draining nearly the entire thing she had settled down on the perch she had bought last year, and gone to sleep. Hermione decided not to worry too much right now, Dumbledore would do what was needed. She looked at the clock and saw that she had an hour left before her parents called her for dinner. She dove back into her book on Occulmency determined to learn this as fast as she could so she could help Harry.