Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Raven by Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Raven

Heaven

A/N: Thanks to all who took the time to review for the first two chapters.

For Temporary Insanity, who reviewed on portkey: Please refer to the author's note in the first chapter for the answer to your question!

Chapter 3: People of the Past

"You are very restless tonight," Bellatrix rolled over on the bed and looked at Lucius, who had just gotten up. She slid out of the sheets and walked naked over to what looked like an extraordinarily large candle holder, where a fire was burning brightly. She stuck her hand into the flames and lifted out one single eyeball.

"Just a little hungry is all," Lucius pulled a black satin robe on over his body. He turned around and eyed Bellatrix appreciatively as she sidled up next to him. She ran the bloody burnt eyeball over his lips and he licked at it. "Mmm…" he was about to lean over to kiss her when the doors opened roughly.

"Lucius," Shaitan Shimmer walked into the room, his hard black boots clonking on the floor. "We need to talk."

"I'm just slightly busy right now," Lucius didn't turn around, but he did shield Bellatrix with his body. He wasn't keen on the idea of his other men seeing her nude.

"One of my guys got himself killed tonight," Shaitan snapped. He was a man of little patience and one of the only ones to stand up to Lucius.

"Who might that be?" Lucius wasn't really interested. He moved his hands back to caress Bellatrix as she moved the eyeball over his lips again.

"Opius Gavet," Shaitan sat down at the long stone table. "Someone used his own knives against him."

"Well then by all means, I think we should have a moment of silence for poor old Opius Gavet," Lucius said sarcastically, moving away from Bellatrix as she pulled her robe off a hanger and wrapped it around herself. "You're working for me tomorrow night right?" he asked.

"I suppose," Shaitan smirked at Bellatrix.

"Well that's reassuring," Lucius sat back as Bellatrix perched in his lap. "Now get out of here," he snapped.

*** *** ***

Ginny Weasley walked along the wet streets. She wasn't sure why she had stayed out, but the thought of sitting around in her dismal apartment alone was almost too much to bear. She thought briefly of the invitation that Draco Malfoy had given her in the afternoon as she left work, to meet him at a local restaurant that evening, and a smile came and went on lips that seemed to have forgotten how to do so.

Draco Malfoy. She hardly knew what to think of him. Back in school he'd been a snivelling daddy's boy who seemed destined to be one of the Dark Lord's followers. Yet when the time of the battle had come, Draco had turned and helped Harry and the rest of them defeat Voldemort.

For some reason that Ginny couldn't fathom, Draco seemed to fancy her. And she was torn about what to do with him- while the idea of a relationship and a companion was nice; she didn't want to grow attached to anyone only to have them ripped cruelly away from her again.

"I just don't know what to do?" Ginny sighed to herself as she wrapped her cloak tighter around her body and quickened her pace. She had turned down and was walking past the entrance to Knockturn Alley when she heard some raucous laughter and some dark figures started walking behind her.

"Hey baby!" one of them called out. Ginny closed her eyes and began to walk faster, and to her horror, they began to catch up to her. "I want to take you and shag you till the sun comes up!"

"Go away!" Ginny turned and shouted. It was in that moment that a black figure came from the alcove where she was walking past and pulled her in, back out of sight of the thugs coming for her. Ginny struggled but a hand was clamped over her mouth making it impossible to shout out.

"Where'd she go?" one of them asked angrily.

"I don't know," another responded. They stood around debating on whether or not to look for her as Ginny stood frozen in fear, wondering if she was better off with the thugs or in the alcove with the person who currently stood with their hand over her mouth.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, the thugs moved away. Ginny violently jerked away from the person and went back out on the street. "Who the hell are you and why did you do that?"

"They would have hurt you," the person sounded strangely familiar but Ginny couldn't place their voice.

"I'd have been fine, thank you very much," She replied snappishly. "What, you allergic to light or something? Disfigured face?" she didn't know why she was behaving this way to someone who had most likely just saved her life.

"Something like that," the figure stepped out of the alcove but faced away from her immediately.

Ginny watched him for a moment, trying to place him in her mind. "I have to go," she muttered, feeling close to tears for some reason. She began to walk away when the skies suddenly opened on top of her. "Ugh I wish it would stop raining! Just once!" she called out to no one in particular.

"It can't rain all the time!" the figure called back.

Ginny's head snapped up. "Harry?" she raced back to the alcove but he was already gone. She looked around wildly for several minutes but the figure was gone. Several tears rolled down her already wet cheeks as she stood still in the pouring rain.

More minutes rolled by and Ginny still waited. It had to be Harry- it had to be! It was one of his favourite sayings…

Ginny and Hermione sat glumly on the window seat, looking out at the fat raindrops pounding on the walls.

"Stupid bloody weatherman," Ginny said angrily. "Never trust Muggles to do anything right! He said it would be sunny today!"

"I know," Hermione replied, tracing one of the drops with her fingertip. She and Ginny had wanted to paint pictures of the garden that day, and had been looking forward to it all week long. The two girls had been dismayed that morning to see the rain clouds roll in while they were having breakfast.

"Come on you two," Harry draped an arm over each of them. "It can't rain all the time." He grinned at Ginny and kissed Hermione just below her ear. "If it makes you feel any better, I'll let you two paint me instead."

Ginny smiled, remembering how she and Hermione had looked at each other and then pushed Harry back on the floor, grabbing pillows from the sofa and pounding him with them. She sighed then, looking around one more time, now reluctant to leave the spot. If it was Harry who had grabbed her, he would have come back by now.

"I'm so stupid," she muttered as she began to walk away. "Harry can't come back. It was just a coincidence." Her steps quickened, not wanting a repeat of the thugs returning to find her again. She reached her flat promptly, and was about to open the door when a hand on her arm surprised her.

"Draco!" Ginny pulled away in surprise.

"I'm sorry," Draco replied, running a hand through his wet blond hair. 'It wasn't so white when it was damp,' Ginny thought. 'It suited him better.'

"No, it's all right," she answered, pushing a fiery red lock behind her ear and looking down at the floor. "It's… it's just been a rough evening. I'm sorry I didn't show up but…"

"I know," he answered quietly. "It's been a year, tonight, hasn't it?"

Ginny nodded wordlessly, biting on her lower lip as her eyes brimmed with yet unshed tears. Draco stepped forward and she surprisingly but willingly went into his arms.

"I miss them," she began to bawl. "I miss them so much, and no one understands it."

Draco closed his eyes as he bent his head to bury his nose in her damp red hair. He cared about Ginny so much yet he couldn't understand if she felt the same way. They saw enough of each other, but she never let him through the wall she had built up so high around herself.

She had no idea how long she cried in his arms, but he didn't seem to mind when she pulled back and wiped at her eyes. "I'm sorry Draco," she murmured.

"I didn't mind." Draco replied. "I know things have been hard on you… you're very strong to take them on like you have."

"I'm hardly strong," Ginny searched in her pockets for a kerchief to blow her nose when Draco pulled one out of his cloak and handed it to her. "Thank you," she looked down again. They stood together in a somewhat comfortable silence. "Um… do you want to come in or something?" Ginny finally asked.

"I'd like that," Draco replied.

*** *** ***

Harry moved quickly down the streets after leaving Ginny. He'd had a desire to see her, but it wasn't the right time to reunite with her just yet. Perhaps when all his revenge had been finished, and he had just a few precious moments left on earth, he would see her and tell her not to worry anymore.

Sweeping down the street towards Murdock's, Harry's jaw set and his eyes narrowed. He forced the memories of Hermione and Ginny out of his head and concentrated on what Opius, Anton Storinson, Skank Whitmore, Shaitan Shimmer, Lucius Malfoy, and the rest of his group had done, and what would be done to them before the night was over. The Raven flew alongside him, providing the never ending strength that Harry desperately needed. His body ached, he felt as if he'd been severely beaten over the course of several days, but the feel of revenge, the look on Opius Gavet's face as he died spurred Harry on, spurred him on with the knowledge that his soul would be at rest when he was finished.

He looked up and he could see the Raven perched on a windowsill. With one single cry from the bird, Harry was able to fly up and perch next to it. It looked at Harry with its beady dark eyes and cried out again as it looked at the two people on the bed in the dingy room.

Pansy Parkinson leaned back as her lover (for the night anyways) moved his mouth down her neck. Anton Storinson was a good but slightly messy lover, but he paid well and she didn't complain. And he always had a good supply of thorphine on hand- the best wizarding drug in the world. She pulled away from him now, eager for another dose.

"What are you doing?" Anton growled playfully as she reached for the needles sitting by the bedside.

"I need another hit," Pansy gave him her best smile as she filled the needle.

"That's coming out of your pay tonight," Anton grabbed it away from her.

"Anton!" Pansy put on her best pleading voice. "Then I'll just have to get it elsewhere and you know that no one else has thorphine as good as yours," she let her fingers travel down his arm. "And what if someone gives me bad stuff, I could die and then who would shag you?"

"No one," Anton replied, pushing the needle into his skin. Pansy made a face at him and took the needle when he was done, refilling the syringe. Shooting the drug through her veins, she leaned back against Anton, letting him kiss her again.

The Raven let out a cry as it watched them from on top of the almost black dresser. Pansy opened her eyes and looked straight at it. "Anton, there's a big bird over there…"

Anton pulled his mouth away from her skin, turning to look at his bureau. Sure enough, a large black crow like bird was perched on top, looking down on them. As the drug moved through his blood, Anton began to grin stupidly.

"Come here birdie!" he cooed, making Pansy shriek in laughter. "Birdie! Birdie, come here birdie!"

"Here Anton," Harry drawled dangerously, coming into the window. "Here, Anton, come here!"

"What the fuck?" Anton sat straight up and Pansy shrieked again, although it was in fright this time. Harry grinned and rushed up, pointing Gavet's wand straight at them.

"Don't DO that!" Anton yelled. "Get the hell out of here! And take your damn bird with you!"

Harry kicked over a chair from the corner of the room and straddled it, looking straight at Anton, who had grabbed his wand and was pointing it directly at Harry. He leaned into the wand so it was pointing directly between his eyes. "Take your best shot Storinson," he sneered.

"Crucio!" Anton yelled and Harry fell off the chair, screaming. Anton whooped, jumping out of the bed. "I never miss…." His voice trailed off as Harry's scream turning into a rather sinister laugh.

"It'll take more than that to get me down for the count," Harry stopped laughing and glared at Anton. The other man shot another spell out of his wand and it hit Harry, who barely staggered backwards. Harry kept coming forward until Anton was shooting out another spell, and in one sudden move, pushed the wand down so it was jabbing into Anton's leg.

"AHHHHH!" Anton Storinson was screaming in pain. He had inflicted the Cruciatius Curse upon himself. Harry didn't notice Pansy rush off the bed and into the bathroom, locking the door behind her. He was too involved in watching Storinson writhe as the curse took over his body. A grim smile stayed on his lips as Anton's body started to grow still, with a twitch every now and again.

"Finite Incantatum," Harry pointed Gavet's wand at Anton and stopped the curse. Not caring if he banged the other man up, he pulled at Storinson's ankles, sliding him off the bed.

Pansy was huddled against the opposite side of the bathroom, shivering and crying. She cried out as Harry burst through the door, still dragging Anton Storinson by his ankles. He dumped the body in the tub and turned on the water full blast so it was hitting the other man in the face. She couldn't stop crying out as Harry turned to face her.

"Potter?" she gasped. "But… but I thought you were…"

"Dead?" Harry yanked her up and pulled the back of her body against him. "You're right, Pansy, I am. Did you miss me?"

"No!" She struggled to get away but he gathered her long hair in his hand and yanked on it, making her head snap back.

"Thorphine is bad for you," Harry grabbed her arm and squeezed, and they both watched as clear liquid streamed back out of tiny holes in the front of her elbow. Once he was satisfied he'd gotten all of the thorphine out of her body, he twisted her around, his hand on the back of her neck. "You have a daughter out there Pansy, don't you?"

"Yes…" she squeaked.

"Living off the streets, waiting for you," Harry glared down at her. "Go to her. Clean yourself up. And get out of my sight."

With a strangled cry, she tore herself away from Harry. She looked at the still out cold Anton in the bathtub and covered her mouth, backing out of the room. She grabbed her clothes and left in just her torn negligee.

Shaitan Shimmer was sitting downstairs next to Rim Tin, who had just gulped down his fourth shot of the most potent Absinthe they had behind the bar. "You'd best finish that up soon." He fingered his wand. "Lucius wants to see you."

"Should I be honoured?" Rim Tin was bitter. "Should I curtsy in front of him?" they were both startled as Pansy ran through Murdock's half dressed, crying.

"Wait here," Shaitan drew his wand and went towards the stairs. He took slow, careful steps in case whatever was up there was waiting for anyone else to show. At a snail's pace, he opened the door and looked in.

Anton Storinson lay in the middle of the room, spread eagle, with about eight needles stuck in his chest, and around those needles were the blood red markings of a raven. A sudden noise made Shaitan turn quickly to his left and he saw a large black clad figure hunched in the window.

"Shhhh!" Harry grinned nastily at him and jumped. Shaitan aimed his wand but the person was already gone.

*** *** ***

Sirius Black sat in his living room, surrounded by old news articles and pictures. He took a sip of FireWhisky from his glass, and jumped when he heard a noise in the kitchen. Grabbing his wand, he slid noiselessly off his chair and crept into the kitchen.

His window over the sink was wide open, the night wind making the dark blue curtains flutter.

"Freeze!" a loud voice came from behind Sirius and he jumped.

"Don't DO that!" he shouted. The person came closer and he had to stifle his gasp. "Harry…" Sirius was about to reach out. "Are… are you a ghost or something?"

"Boo," Harry sent him a bitter smile. "Actually Sirius, I don't know what I am."

Sirius sat down, not able to take his eyes off the man in front of him, and barely able to breathe. "Harry… I was there when they buried you and Hermione…"

"I need you to tell me what happened to us, Sirius." Harry sat down but leaned forward.

Sirius looked down, and then reached for his glass. "You uh… you got hit with the Avada Kedavra."

Harry nodded, knowing what he was about to hear could destroy him again. "And Hermione… what happened to her?"

"Hermione," Sirius looked up at his eyes. "Oh God Harry… she was beaten… she was raped…"

Harry put his head in his hands and let out a long, shuddering sigh.

"She held on for a few hours, but the pain… they said the pain was just so much that she had to let go," Sirius felt a tear trickle down his cheek as he remembered. Harry's jaw was set and his eyes looked cloudy. "I saw it… I was there. I couldn't do a damn thing for her!"

Harry suddenly lurched forwards out of the chair, putting his hands on each side of Sirius's head and his thumbs over his eyes.

Instantly, images were flooding over his closed eyelids, images of Hermione laying in a bed at St. Mungo's, her gorgeous face marred with pain, swollen from beatings… Harry flew backwards and toppled over the chair he had been sitting in, knocking it on its side. He let out several anguished cries as he curled himself up into a little ball.

"What?" Sirius was frantic as he knelt on the floor next to his godson.

"I saw her," Harry choked out. "I saw her through your eyes… I felt her pain… I felt her die." He looked up at his godfather's sympathetic eyes. "You stayed with her until the end."

"I had to," Sirius replied, touching Harry on the shoulder. "I wanted to be there if she woke up…"

Harry nodded, staring off into space. "Thank you Sirius." He turned and wrapped his arms around the older man, who in turn hugged him back.

They stayed together for a long time, until Harry finally pulled back. "I should go," he said reluctantly.

"You don't have to," Sirius replied.

"I know," Harry turned and smiled at Sirius, his first real smile since he'd come back. "But I'll see you again."

"Were you going to vanish into thin air again?" Sirius asked as Harry got up.

"I thought I'd use your front door," Harry said, pushing his hair back. Sirius followed him down the hallway.

"I'm sorry Harry," Sirius said quietly as Harry slipped out the front door and closed it behind him.

A/N: Just a note to say, I do not in any way, shape or form encourage drug use… especially the sharing of needles. It was a part in this fic to show how dirty the characters are, but I have never touched drugs in real life so I don't know how true I wrote it.

Also, I have no idea how long this fic is going to be. I'm writing it along how the movie goes, and I find a place to stop that I think is good in each scene of the movie.

Thanks again to all those who have taken the time to review. Your comments have made this story truly worth writing.