Unofficial Portkey Archive

Septanic Dueling by Nappamort
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Septanic Dueling

Nappamort

Chapter Number: 32
Chapter Name: Ancient Magic

" Is he all right?" asked someone from the back of the small, but growing crowd.

" Yeah... when will he be back in classes?"

" What happened?"

" Did the snake thing bite him" asked Parvati.

" Is he feeling better?"

" Is..." it went on for a whole minute as they all asked Hagrid and Madam Pomfrey about Harry.

" QUITE DOWN!" bellowed Hagrid, finally having had enough of the questions.

" Children..."said Madam Pomfrey in her softest voice, " We need the corridor cleared...now! It's an emergency"

" But we want to stay" said Ginny, who looked like the ringleader of the whole of the crowd, when they all nodded behind her.

" I'm sorry ter do this Ginny.... but its got to be done."

" But..." she protested

" Not buts, young lady" came the harsh voice of Madam Pomfrey, but it softened when she saw Ginny's hurt face, " It's going to be all right, child. Professor Dumbledore is looking after him, but we need the corridors cleared." Said Madam Pomfrey.

" Everyone out!" yelled Hagrid, but this time there were no objections.

After all the children were gone, Hagrid and Madam Pomfrey had their discussion.

" I'll go and look for the head boy and girl" said Madam Pomfrey, " while you keep and eye on the doors."

" Hurry back soon..."

" I will..." she said going out of the exit, leading to where the staff offices were. She needed to find the register to look up where the head boy and girls were.

A few minutes later, inside the closed room, Professor Dumbledore was deep in thought as he paced the small distance to the next bed, when he sensed the arrival of the two students that he had been expecting. He could almost imagine what they were talking about, but that came from over sixty yeas of teaching at Hogwarts, not one of his many powers.

" It seems we have to start..."

He waved his wand at Harry's bed and with a small flash all the beds in the room were gone, though Harry floated in mid-air, with his arms draping by his side. He waved his wand again, this time four glass spheres appeared.

* Now the elements...* he thought to himself.

He pointed his wand at the one that was by his left leg, and said, " Elos es domine echos maran Incendio", making something that looked like fire, appear inside the translucent sphere with a small bright flash. He tapped the top of the sphere and a stream of fire like rope connected to Professor Dumbledore's wand. Then Professor Dumbledore connected the streams to Harry's body by tapping the end on Harry's chest.

He went to the other sphere near Harry's leg and did something similar, though the incantation was slightly different, " Elos es domine echos maran Aquae". This time water appeared inside the sphere. Professor Dumbledore did the same thing on the top of the sphere to connect Harry and that sphere, as he had done for the fire one.

Professor Dumbledore repeated the process, until he had wind (blue misty vapor - " Elos es domine echos maran Tundra" and earth ("Elos es domine echos maran Gaea"). When it was all finished Harry's unconscious body was connected to the four elemental spheres by a thread of that element and Professor Dumbledore was on the brink of his own unconsciousness.

Using this magic to heal something was not a hard task, but to heal someone very sick, like Harry was, required the summoning of massive amounts of elemental powers. It tended to weaken the wizard and if the summoner became unconscious in the process, then the elemental powers called up vanishes - rendering all healing done totally useless. Professor Dumbledore watched as the four spheres started to move about on an imaginary shell of a sphere, occasionally stopping on top of Harry's chest before continuing.

Once he had recovered from summoning the elements, Professor Dumbledore started gathering his powers again to summon the fifth and final element. Void. His element.

It was the forbidden element and as such it was only used in the very advanced ancient magic. Most ancient magic however needed so little magic to be called up that they did not show up like it had for this particular healing spell (exception was the protection that Lily had cast on Harry). Void was also the element that only he could call upon, since it was he who was the guardian of the forbidden element. Because of Professor Dumbledore's mastery of this element, lord Voldemort feared him.

Professor Dumbledore was afraid that Harry's growth in magic would be stalled, if he were to infuse Harry with this type of magic, but then again he had no choice. At the rate that Harry was deteriorating (Professor Dumbledore did not want to worry anyone... very fast), if he was not treated quickly, he would die of magic poisoning.

When Harry unknowingly used his power, he had caused magic to flow into his bloodstream. His human body had not yet gone through a metamorphosis, which would have had prevented excess magic to go into his muscles by coating the walls of his veins with a substance that would have had absorbed the excess magic. The reason Harry fell unconscious was because the magic had started to seep into his brain, making it impossible for him to controls his own body any more.

' The fifth and final element...,' he thought, as he made something sharp appear at the end of the wand. He used it to puncture one of his fingers, letting a drop of blood appear where it had been punctured.

The blood without any incantations did the will of its master. It formed a sphere of glass around itself, much like the one around all the other elements. In his blood Professor Dumbledore carried the forbidden element and only the one who is the guardian and master of the element can use this power. That is why Lord Voldemort had not tried to take the blood of Professor Dumbledore to rise back into the world of the living. If he had, he would been destroyed from within.

Void can be summoned in two forms...one like he had done here, and the other...was to call upon on it, like he had with the other four elements. He did not dare do it this time as in his weakened state after summoning all the other elements, he was sure his mastery of the element would not prevent the destruction of the whole school if something went wrong.

The fifth element however did not move around like the other three, but it stayed over the exact spot where the threads were connected to Harry's chest, though out side the sphere that the other four elements made.

Then the most amazing part of the magic began.

First Professor Dumbledore sent a red spark at the ceiling to make it disappear, leaving the room exposed to the sun. Something else happened as well. Then the four elements started to move so fast that they would only be viewed when one of them stopped between Harry and the sphere containing the void element. Professor Dumbledore sent another spark into the sky above, it was different this time. It was orange and it was more like a sustained burst.

Where it disappeared into the sky, a few seconds later, a small dark cloud appeared. It grew rapidly, too rapidly to be a natural phenomenon, until the sky (as far as the eye could see) became as dark as the night. Unearthly shades of lightning dance from cloud to cloud. Though the darkening of the sky was not noticed, the loud rumbling noises made everyone, wherever they were, look up to the sky.

Three separate lightning strikes of different colors danced to one cloud and connected. It was almost as if it were fuelling something in there clouds there, then with a brightness and loudness not usually attributed to thunder, the combined might of the three sizzled through the air and into the room containing Harry.

There it passed through the blood in the smallest sphere and then the sphere of Fire that had stopped below it, before striking Harry's body. Every nerve endings in Harry's body was set alight with fire of seven hells. Harry though unconscious before this, woke up. He screamed in pain... but both he and Professor Dumbledore were powerless to stop this. Once it had began, he didn't not have the power to stop it.

For the next three and a half-hours...this torture continued. The lightning would gather before striking Harry, after passing through the blood (void element) and then one of the other elements. Each time, Harry would scream in pain. And Professor Dumbledore closed his eyes as the white hot lightning smashed into Harry's body.

When the final lightning strike hit his body, it had passed through all the spheres, destroying them as it went through.

Still in pain from the magic done on him, Harry barely managed to squeak out, " He's after Karkaroff...." before fainting.

One of the hardest things that Alicia had to do in her whole life was to hear the screaming coming from the room where Professor Dumbledore was with the unconscious body of Harry. She had to force herself to stay where she was, keeping the silencing charms replenished on one of the two doors that lead into the hospital wing.

Very soon after she had cast her spell, as ordered by Madam Pomfrey, the screaming started. That had been well over three hours ago.

<<~~~>>

END OF CHAPTER
READ AND REVIEW