Unofficial Portkey Archive

Septanic Dueling by Nappamort
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Septanic Dueling

Nappamort

Chapter Number: 04
Chapter Name: A New Bookworm & the Gifts

It didn't hit Harry until he had read the first twelve pages that the pages of the book that the pages were turning by themselves. As slow as he was in realizing this, he was faster at remembering that Hermione had said that she put a page turning spell on the book so that once the page was read, it would automatically turn over. She said it didn't have another to do with lazyness. It was more to do with speeding up reading.

It occurred to him that the spell allowed for him mind to be registered as a person who was reading the book. Even if he was astral Projecting. Yep. He had a proper name for him odd ability. According to Hermione, muggles called it on television. Though their version was strictly different to the one that Harry had. For one thing, real people could see the astral Projected person. For another - in their version, astral projected people could see and touch and interact with objects. Hermione also told him that there seemed to be no references to her knowledge about Astral Projection in all the things she had read about the wizarding world. She didn't think it was a wizarding power - since Hogwarts: A history didn't mention it.

As Harry began to read, he did not notice how quickly he seemed to be reading the passages, or the pages for that matter. Not did he understand that he was keeping most of what he was reading in his mind. Unlike other times when his mind was more of a seive, this time he was keeping a lot of information.

It was at eight o'clock in the morning when Harry snapped the book. He had finished reading the book, back to back several times, since it was the only book he had with a self turning charm in it - Harry had kept reading. Harry wished himself to wake up and it usually took about a ten minute delay from the time he wished to enter his body again to waking up. This time Harry noticed the delay was only two minutes. Either he was improving, or his time counting was off - Harry betted on the latter.

Harry quickly leaped from his bed, quickly taking off his pajamas and started to collect clothes so that he could get into the shower. It was the last day of the long weekend (Queen's Birthday), so the rest of the family was still in
bed. As Harry left the room, he collided with Paul - who looked suspiciously at Harry.

After a moment Harry realized that he was wearing only his boxers. He took the towel on his shoulder, and wrapped it around his waist. He didn't say anything Harry, as he walked away towards the kitchen. Harry didn't know it, but Paul or Mr. Granger was very pleased with himself that he saved his daughter from seeing a half-naked man running around the house. He was heading into the kitchen to cook - it was his turn on the roster to cook that day.

Harry only took a few moments in the shower, as he didn't like to be wet for too long. At breakfast the Granger's had all wished him a Happy Birthday. Then Hermione's parents told him they had a gift for him as they handed something to him. It was a return ticket to Morocco.

Apparently the whole family was supposed to go, including one of Hermione's cousins but at the last moment she had pulled out. So now Harry was bound for Morocco. They told him, it was only going to be for a week and they would be back a day before school. Harry was ecstatic, and didn't even know that he needed to passport and all those other things ready. If he even had a passport. He had never traveled overseas and now he was going to the mystical Morocco. This almost had him in tears.

Hermione joined in on the conversation and said she choose the location so they could research some exotic magical creature for their Care of Magical Creatures. Hermione was quick to remind him that in the next three weeks they had the monumental task of doing homework essays excluding the one for care of magical creatures. Not to mention, house chores, self-imposed extra studies (by Harry's will and Hermione's insistence) and flying lessons to get through.

At this point a swarm of package carrying birds invaded the Granger kitchen. Though Mrs. Granger shrieked and ran away, Harry, Hermione and her father (though he a little shaken) stayed. There was in total five owls carrying two parcels and three letters.

Harry took the one that had been dropped on his bowl of cerial. It had beautifully
penned writing on the envelop and he was surprised to see it was from Fleur.


To Harry, my sister's Saviour
Thank you again for saving my sisters life last year. I'll be your Defence Against Dark Arts teacher this year. I'm sending you this book about the marine-based dark creatures. This book will help you next year and there is a section at the back that will help you write your homework essay. I know I'm not the best with water demon, but I'm fairly adept at others. Perhaps your head master is giving me this task so that I may improve or because he had a lack of candidates, I don't know. I will try my best to be your teacher. If for nothing else, then to pay you back for saving my beloved sister.
Many thanks from Fleur

The letter had been quite straight to the point. It highlighted a lot of things about the situation with the light side. There were not many candidates that Professor Dumbledore could choose from. Harry didn't know if it was that he had his people deployed elsewhere or because there was a shortage - but it was clear either way that there were few people that were aware of the situation with the dark lord.

After he finished reading, he looked over the book. It was called "So You need to know about SeaMonsters by Ruben Psidong". The next one was from Professor Dumbledore, and it was carried to Harry by one of the school's better regal
looking owls.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc. Chf. Warlock,
Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Mr. Potter,
This is not a birthday card, though it may have appeared at this time. Please know that I have arranged for you and Ms. Granger to meet Mr. Ali Pasha. He will be your guide to the Magical community in Morocco.

He was one of you father's dear fiends and that you have my blessings for the trip. In times such as these it is important to keep international alliances. I expect your visit to be of the highest importance and as such please do not get yourself into trouble.

Headmaster of Hogwarts
Professor A. Dumbledore

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc. Chf. Warlock,
Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Ps: Happy birthday

Harry could not help but smile at the postscript. The next letter was from Sirius, as always carries by tropical bird of many colours. Harry couldn't help but think that using such birds will end in disaster for Sirius one of these days.


Dear Harry
I hope you are Ok. Dumbledore told me that you are going out of the country. I don't know whether it's a good idea or not. The last time I thought it was a better idea to go along with Lily and James's plan, it did not turn out well, so the old man is probably a better bet. Keep your wand in your hand, Harry. ALWAYS! I can't stress it enough. The rules about under aged wizards are not applicable over there. There are danger there already, and you're going to a place that's barely above nomadic.

You might want to look up one of our friends from the by gone era. His name is Ali Pasha. Last I heard of him, he was selling flying carpets. Just tell him PADFOOT said hello. Be safe. OWL me if you have a dream.
SNUFFLES

The letter kind of left Harry thinking about who this Ali Pasha character was, but he didn't have time to think much. The next parcel was from Hagrid and an eagle brought it.


HARRY
Hi. Heard you're with Hermione. I can't tell you where I am, but I'm with Madam Maxime. I got good news. I'll write more when I can. I sent ye some of me Rock cakes. Olympe loves them.
Bye
Hagrid


Harry loved Hagrid. He was the man who told him of his real life. He trusted Hagrid with his life but he would not eat anything that man made.

Mr. Granger however was not aware of the perils of Hagrid's cooking. So when he saw Hermione open the parcel for Harry, sitting next to her, He reached for a portion. It was then that both Harry and Hermione shouted, "NO!"

Paul Granger was shocked but put the piece down. To demonstrate why they stopped him, Harry took his spoon and hit the cake hard making a loud clink noise as if it had hit another metal. Mrs. Granger entered the room again when she realized that only the snowy owl that belonged to Harry was gone. She sat herself down next to Hermione and started to quietly finish off the food. Her moment of embarassment being over.

The next one was a big parcel that Hedwig and Pig carried it together. It contained sealed envelopes from most of the members and gifts of food and clothes from Mrs. Weasley. The first letter picked out of the parcel was covered in little pink heart that moved all over the envelop. Hermione saw it and snatched it away from him. She quickly took out the letter and to Harry's embarrassment started to read it out loud.

" ooh. Perfumed!" Hermione snickered. " Harry! I'm shocked. Why didn't you tell me about your grrrlfriend" said Hermione trying intentionally to be annoying.

" It's because, SHE. IS. NOT. MY. GIRLFRIEND!" shouted Harry, surprising both Mr. & Mrs. Granger. Harry's face was red but he did not try to get the letter back. Since it would only make Hermione more determined to nag him about Ginny. Harry had realised that though Hermione was a lot more docile at school, she was a lot different in the muggle world.

" Lets see what says than...

Dear Sweet Harry (**GIGLES ** from Hermione)
On your birthday, I hope you are well and know that love from me (and my family) is there with you. My present to you is in the parcel. See you soon... Love

GINNY


While Hermione was reading the letter, Harry found and finished reading the inscription (from Ginny to H.P.) and the instructions for his present from Ginny. It was in a packet covered in similar sort of patterns as the envelop. He thought it was a great way to get back at Hermione. He put on the watch, and did as the instructions had told him. He stood up from his chair, and turned to look at Hermione. Then he pressed the glass on the watch and spoke.
"Hello. Bet you're sorry now!"

But it came out in not Harry's voice but a bit deeper, slightly booming voice and to top it all off in another ancient language. Hermione jumped back twice before hitting the wall behind her. Her parents fell out of their chair and scrambled away to what they thought was a safe distance. There was another effect that Harry did not see nor hear. His eyes were glowing. Satisfied that Hermione was sufficiently and her parents unintentionally scared, he pressed the
glass on the watch. Once he did, his voice became normal and eyes lost some of its glow. But there was still a lingering glow.

" That's what you get for taking other peoples letter" Harry said taking off his watch.

From the shocked look on her face it was obvious she did not get it as to how Harry had scared her. He held up the watch and said, " the present from GINNY".

Hermione looked embarrassed for not noticing the silly toy. She mumbled something about needing to go to the toilet, and headed out of the room with a pink face.

Harry noticed that Mr. & Mrs. Granger had already recovered and were back to eating their food. He looked apologetically at them, they both gave him a look of sympathy at him. Paul Granger actually thought it was a really good joke. It wasn't often that he saw his daughter with surprise written all over her face. Harry decided he would quickly read the other two letters. First one was from Fred & George.

Harry
Happy Birthday. We're both sorry, you couldn't spend your holidays with us. But we hear you're with Hermione. We hope you have a good time there. We were not allowed to send you our gift before because of Professor Dumbledore. The gift is in the white packet. It looks like a ball with a switch on top. When pressed it displays a memory that Ron had of you guys and one of your certain "friend". When we say you'll love it we mean, you'll laugh your head off.
Your buddies
Fred and George Weasley.

PS: Did you ever wonder what happens when you hit someone with the Streaming Rainbow curse - while he's already under the tickling curse? Well enclosed is a picture of Ron. Enjoy.

The picture was funny. But before he could show save it to give it to Hermione, The picture became blank. Then a small message showed up. " Sorry mate. Your three seconds are up - Another wonderful trick item by the WWW. Then it turned dust in his hand. Harry brushed it off.

Harry was a little apprehensive about pressing the switch, but he decided that the twins would not give him something really bad on his birthday. He did give them a lot of money the year before. That ought to have had given him immunity from their tricks. No matter how hard Harry tried to make himself think that what he was trying to think was true, he could not help but feel otherwise.

Harry held the small spherical object as far from his body as humanly possible, before pressing the button. A small rectangle appeared out of thin air and it showed the event of the fateful day when Barty Crouch masquerading as Professor Moody turned Malfoy into a ferret.

While Harry laughed he noticed that a slightly less colored Hermione had entered the room. She too joined in, as Draco Malfoy was her worst enemy. Hermione started on her cereal again, Harry took out the last letter. He could tell by the messy penmanship that it was from Ron.

HARRY
Did you hear? Probably no. I don't think you get the Daily Prophet. Anyway, they caught Lucius Malfoy for the using a Flying carpet. Well, as good as that was, he was released by Cornelius Fudge after he donated a lot of money to the hospital - Again. Dad was furious and Percy… Well you know ho he is, we had to hold him down and then tie him to his bed. He wanted to go after that slimy git! It was one of the laws that he helped pass - again - in the
ministry.

I was disappointed when Dumbledore told us you couldn't visit us. Not sure how better off you can be with Hermione. I mean the Dursleys were mean but atleast they didn't nag you to do homework. I bet that's what's she's doing right now.

And You're wrong. I wasn't going to ask about how Hermione was doing. What do I care if she went to Krum's or not? I'm glad, I'm not in your shoes. I feel sorry for you- being told to study all day long and doing nothing else. It must be awful.

Well, I'll see you soon at school in a few weeks. If not before. By the way there is a present for you that I found in Diagon Alley.
Yours
Ron Weasley

Harry put the letter down and started to look for what could be his present from Ron. He found it inside one of the folds of the black sleeveless sweater with the Griffindor emblem that Mrs. Weasley had knitted. It was a Chocolate Frog card to be precise it was a Harry Potter Chocolate frog card. The picture was of Harry getting the golden egg from the dragon. Harry was absentmindedly looking at the picture when a loud shriek from Hermione interrupted him from a depressing reminder of the past. Mr & Mrs. Granger were scared once again.

" WHAT??... ...What does he think I am? Does he think I'm always studying? ... Says he feels sorry for you... Wait till we're on the train...," said a fuming Hermione who was reading the letter Harry had deposited on the table. Slightly scared Harry slid his chair a back a bit. Hermione continued in a cold and almost an evil voice "... yes. The tel'shia curse. That's it... a whole week of itching his bottom would sort him out... yessss..."

* Great Merlin! She looks positively evil! * though Harry.

Harry thought of doing a "Hermione" and give her a lecture about reading other people's mail but decided against it seeing as her eyes had glazed over and he was not sure Hermione was Hermione anymore.

Rest of the holidays until the day of the trip was pretty uneventful, except for the fact that Hermione kept getting messages from Krum, and she would spend half the day dreaming about him. Two days before the trip Harry was just plain fed up and told her to check his
essays for errors. " You're just jealous that I have a boyfriend"
" Yeah... Whatever. So. Are you going to check my work or not?" though he was a bit angry with Hermione for ignoring him for the last few days, he made puppy dog eyes at her.

Hermione looked startled for a second, and then said, " Yes. Leave it on the desk, I'll do it tonight or in the morning."

Just before lunch Hermione burst out of her room, calling for Harry. Fearing something was wrong Harry ran to where the yelling was coming from, wand ready. (A/N: He's really paranoid... isn't he)

When he saw Hermione just standing at the entrance to her room he was confused. He was going to ask what was wrong, but Hermione spoke first. " Look, Who's here?" said Hermione with something in her voice that Harry could not identify.

" What? I came as soon as I heard. Why did you call by the way?"

" I didn't have anytime last night to check your essays. So I sit down today to find thirty odd scrolls on my desk. And to top it off it you did it! Now I say ..."

Harry was getting annoyed and could not help but say, " Get to the point!"

" Well.. Answer this. Did you write all those scrolls?"

" Yes! Of course I did. Unless there is another wizard in this house by the same name I wrote the- wait one-minute... Is something wrong with my essays." Harry panicked. "OH. Great Merlin! What am I gonna do... Oh... It's not long till the start of the school. Oh... Maybe..." but Harry did not get to finish his panic attack as Hermione rushed over and gave him a big hug.

" I'm so proud of you. You have any idea how surprised I was... The quality of research, analogies, anecdotes and even the penmanship..." If Harry had been confused before it was nothing compared to what he was feeling at that moment.

" What're you on about?"

" It's good... too good. Snape is gonna have a fit... he'll give points to Griffindor... well... not really.... Not taking any off..." Harry was getting more and more confused, so put his hands on her shoulder and shook her hard to stop her from babbling.

" Calm down. What. Are. You. Saying?" In response to Harry's questions, she dragged him into her room. She sat herself down on the bed as she shoved Harry into the nearest chair facing her bed.

Harry had been there quite a few times, though they spent most of their time studying in his room. Her room had light pink wallpaper with slightly darker floral print all over. It was well decorated and in one corner she stored all her plush toys from when she was young. The room was always neat and tidy, but her bed was a different story altogether. It was littered with Harry's scrolls and her schoolbooks which where open in different places.

" There were only spelling mistakes that I had to fix other than that it was all well above your usual quality. Look this one..." said Hermione as she handed him the essay but did not pause. "... You potions essay was good. A tad bit on the short side, but you covered all the points and some not mentioned... And here...Your Transfiguration essay it was captivating, fully researched, historical anecdotes and good layout. Oh look... there your Charms essay on
"Kitchen charms and possible dangers to young children" was really good. I think you were the only 4th year to choose it. Personally I didn't think you could pull it off but I was wrong"

* for someone saying they were wrong she was surprisingly happy * though Harry, as he was amazed how confusing Hermione really was to him. "...Hold these...Defence Against Dark Arts. You wrote twelve scrolls and you only had to do six. It was well researched and I especially liked the detailed comparison about some common misconception about some creatures. You even listed some of the good creatures that are sometimes mistaken as evil. See... You worked hard and now you will reap the benefits." Harry was so stunned that he did not speak while she was talking. Several times he opened his mouth but then closed it soon after. Harry knew he had done more work than usual, but did not realize that he had really done quite so well.

Hermione was positively beaming at "her" accomplishment. She had done the impossible task of make Harry like studying. She was well on her way to fix "Harry Potter the boy who lived" to be her idea of what he should be - A high achiever and someone that the Dark Lord would be afraid off.

The day of the trip approached very quickly and except for his Care of Magical Creatures essay, he had nothing left to do, so he read up on Morocco and practiced his astral projection. Harry's skill at it actually had decreased from not using it enough. He only used it at night to read "Hogwarts: A history." So Harry basically had to go through all the pain and suffering he went through to become proficient in it again.

Harry remembered to pack his schoolbooks. He wanted to put page-turning charms on them as soon as he was in Morocco. Harry had an unexpected thought just before they boarded the plane (the Grangers did not want to use Floo powder even though it could have been faster and cost them nothing.) * Wonder how the Dursley's vacation was? *

Review? If you like it please tell me. Tell me what I do to improve.