Unofficial Portkey Archive

There are no happy endings (Revised) by Kai_Lun_Mau
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

There are no happy endings (Revised)

Kai_Lun_Mau

There are no Happy Endings

Part 2....

God Even now as I remember that kiss I can still feel his lips pressed against mine and for a moment I smile before I feel the emptiness well up inside me again. Instead all I want to do is lay myself down on top of his grave and stay there till I join him on the other side. It all started with that kiss, all memories of Ron's betrayal were swept away in that brief moment and all I could do was cling tightly to Harry's shirt.

Time seemed to stand still at that moment and I have no idea how long we stood there, his lips on mine, but it seemed to be forever, while at the same time being no where near long enough. His tongue grazed my lips and I opened my mouth to accept his gift and his tongue slipped across my teeth and slowly caressed my own in a slow burning dance of passion. My hands grasped the front of his shirt bunching the cotton in my fists. We would have stood there for hours if I hadn't heard a gasp of horror.

Even now I can still see Ginny's face when she caught us, me her brothers girlfriend and Harry her long time not so secret crush, and it still hurts me to think about some of the things she called me that day. Even now we still don't talk to each other much outside simple greetings.

That was nearly the end of five years of friendship between the once inseparable trio. When Ron finally got out of the infirmary, the first thing he did was blame all of this on Harry, no mention of his little tryst with Lavender, just that Harry stole his girl. An argument that culminated in a brawl in the middle of the great Hall, which ended with Professor Dumbledore stupefying both of them. That was the only year that we ever lost the house cup to another house because after their display of male testosterone Professor Mcgonnagal literally wiped out every point we had in the hourglass. Thank god it wasn't to the Slytherins though or we would never have heard the end of it.

We all split up after that, I would avoid Ron because of his betrayal, I would avoid Harry because I was scared, and Harry and Ron would avoid each other because of the fight. And both were avoiding me because I threatened to hex both of them if they didn't back off. Wasn't until the Christmas break when things started to change. I was going home to spend Christmas with my parents. Ron was going to the Burrow, and Harry, Harry was the only Gryffindor staying behind this year.

The day we all left for the train was one of the hardest things I have ever done. As I walked down to the carriages I glanced up at Gryffindor tower and there he stood at a window his fingers pressed against the glass watching with a heart broken expression. I looked away but inside my heart ached.

********************

A week went by and soon it was Christmas day but I wasn't enjoying myself. I couldn't because every time I closed my eyes I could see Harry's face in the window and when I awoke that morning I was met by the strange sight of Hedwig sitting at the foot of my bed with a small package tied to her ankle. Shakily I reached for her and gently untied the package and the small letter.

Hermione

Some things like your present will last forever and will never fade

Love Harry

I could barely open the small box my fingers were shaking so badly but when I finally opened it my heart was in my mouth. Hanging from a fine gold chain was a tear drop diamond that seemed to glow from the inside casting sparkles all over the dim interior of my bedroom. I couldn't think I just stared at the diamond as it spun on the chain. I never heard my mum calling my name or even when she entered my room, but I did hear her gasp when she saw what I was holding. She looked at me questionably, saying nothing but her gaze quietly asking me who had gave me such a gift. I simply replied.

"Harry."

She nodded, there was a look of understanding in her eyes and she smiled. "I wondered how long it would take him to get the courage." I looked at my mum with my brows furrowed an annoyed look on my face.

"Meaning what exactly."

Again my mum smiled that knowing smile. "Exactly what I said to you dear." With that she stood and made to leave my room. "You know we still have some of that floo powder left from last year, I think there's someone you need to speak to, and when your done why don't you invite him to Christmas dinner.

I nodded somewhat stunned and almost mechanically rose from my bed and quickly got dressed in my warmest clothes, I put the pendant back into the small box and tucked it into my pocket.

Even now two years later I still hate using the floo, but I used it that day and with a grunt as I lost my balance found myself lying on my back staring up at the ceiling of the three broomsticks. Without stopping to apologise to Madam Rosmarta, I rushed out the pub and started the long cold trek towards Hogwarts. It took almost an hour for me to get to the main gates and when I got there and pushed the door open I was shocked to see Professor Dumbledore standing at the foot of the staircase.

He smiled and his eyes were like fairy lights that day, they twinkled so brightly. "He is in the Gryffindor common room." His smile got a bit bigger as I nodded and bolted past him taking the stairs two at a time, hopping over the false step and running to the tower and the portrait of the fat lady. I gasped out the password and she gave me a knowing wink as she slowly swung open and I climbed through the passage.

He sat there on the oversized red velvet armchair staring into the fire, so preoccupied with his thoughts he never heard me come in. I don't know why I didn't say anything to him at first, so I just stood there watching as the firelight danced over his skin. Finally he turned in his seat and just looked at me, a small smile tugging at the corner of his lips. "Hey."

"Why?" I asked him, my hand in my pocket toying with the box.

He smiled knowing what I was talking about. "Because like I said in the note like the diamond something's are forever and will never fade."

I growled at him. I growled at bloody Harry Potter and found myself at that moment wishing I had my wand. "Don't play silly buggers Harry, why did you give this to me?"

He sighed and stood and slowly crossed the floor till he stood over me, it was at the point I realised how much bigger he had gotten, he was no longer the scrawny little first year I first met on the train 6 years ago. He smiled his green eyes alive with life and an emotion I knew but couldn't put a name to. "Because I love you." I gasped and tears began to well in my eyes and slowly trickle down my cheeks. He smiled again and he lowered his head down and his lips very gently kissed away the teardrops from my cheeks. My arms flung themselves around his neck and this time I think I surprised him because I pulled his face to mine and I kissed him.

TBC...