Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Terror Nights by Songbird21
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Terror Nights

Songbird21
Harry Potter and the Terror Nights

Chapter 1

(Part of the Emerald Spellbook series)

NOTE: This fic is a sequal to "Harry Potter and the Soul Crystal". If you haven't read it, go do it now or nothing in this story is going to make sense. "Soul Crystal" is also hosted here.
This fic doesn't acknowledge OoTP. None of the sequals to this fic will acknowledge it either.
Harry Potter and all the characters are not mine blah blah blah. The only character that is mine is Wendy Potter in this chapter. Please do not use her in a story without telling me. Thoughts are in italics.

Please read and review. Thanks!

The ghosts of Hogwarts have disappeared and been replaced with malevolent spirits with a taste for bringing pain to the living. To make matters worse the entire Hogwarts grounds have been surrounded with a magic force field that not even Dumbledore has figured out how to break. Harry and the gang have to find out how the evil ghosts got there. But the answer may be even more frightening then the ghosts themselves......

==========================================================================
==========================================================================

Harry trudged through the giant field that was behind Sirius' house, heading for the woods beyond. He grumbled to himself as he passed the multitude of wild blueberry bushes that peppered the upper third of the field. "Why can't she ever remember to come in for dinner?", he thought in irritation.
He entered the woods and walked until he found the giant tree he was looking for. It was a massive ancient oak tree. Its base was nearly ten feet in diameter. He looked up into the branches and, sure enough, there was his sister. She was just sitting in the crook of one of the branches, staring up at the sky. "Wendy!" he called up to her.
Wendy blinked back her daydreams and looked down at her brother. "What's up?" she yelled back.
"It's time for dinner, you prat!" Harry scolded.
Wendy frowned and climbed down the rope ladder she had tied to the end of the branch. "Sorry," she said as she jumped the last few feet to the ground.
The Potters walked back through the field to Sirius' house. Harry sighed. He loved his sister, but he hated going out to find her all the time. He didn't understand it. When they were at Hogwarts she had been so bubbly, so full of life. Ever since they had gotten home she had become a recluse, always disappearing into the woods.
They crossed the line of trees that divided the field from the back yard and the house came into view. To Harry it was an odd sort of house for someone like Sirius. It seemed too.......normal. It looked like your average two-story farmhouse. It was pale blue with a white, wrap-around porch. The porch had a gazebo connected off the front right corner which contained a large porch swing and a small breakfast table. The doors and shutters were white and wind chimes hung from the porch ceiling. There was even a birdbath on the front lawn. The only things that could identify the house as one owned by a wizard were the owl nest box attached to the roof and the gnome traps in the garden. Truthfully, Harry liked Ron's house better. Though he'd never tell Sirius that.
Harry and Wendy walked up the gray cobblestone path to the backdoor. It was lined on both sides by rows of flowers. Sirius was waiting for them in the doorway. "There you are. I was just about to go look for you two," Sirius said as he shooed them inside.
Harry ducked and chuckled as he tried to avoid Sirius' attempt to ruffle his Godson's hair.
=============================================================
"So you two want to tell me who died? Or should I guess?" Sirius asked, breaking the silence that had settled over the dinner table.
The Potters looked up. "Sorry Sirius," Wendy replied. She sighed heavily. "Now my mood's affecting Harry. May I be excused?"
Sirius nodded. "Of course."
Wendy pushed back her chair and stood up. Harry frowned as her watched her climb the stairs.
"Do you know what's bothering her?" Sirius asked.
Harry shook his head. "I wish I did."
Sirius put down his fork. "Have you asked?"
"No," Harry replied with some regret in his voice.
Sirius stared at Harry with a look that said 'Well?' Harry sighed.
"Alright I'm going," Harry relented.
Harry was deep in thought as he climbed the curved staircase to second floor. He had been worried about her, but he had wanted to give her some space. Not to mention privacy.
He knocked on the door to his sister's room. Footsteps sounded on the hardwood floor and the door opened. He was surprised that Wendy looked like she'd been crying.
"What's up Bro?" Wendy said softly.
Suddenly, Harry was a lot more concerned. "Are you okay?"
Wendy shrugged. "I'll be alright," she replied and walked back into her room.
Harry frowned as Wendy laid down on her bed and stared at the ceiling. He considered going back down stairs but he decided that if she had wanted to be alone she would have shut the door. "What's going on? You've been like this for weeks," he said as he walked in the room and shut the door. The room was horribly quiet save for the chirping of the summer crickets and the sound of Hedwig ruffling her feathers in the room next door.
Finally, Wendy spoke up. "If I tell you, you'll feel bad," she said in a choked voice.
Harry sat down on the floor next to the bed. "Just tell me. You need to get it out," he said gently.
Wendy rolled over to face her brother. "I didn't get to talk to them."
Harry was confused. "Huh?"
"Mom and Dad. I didn't get to talk to them," Wendy repeated.
"You were there with me. You said hello," Harry offered.
"I had so many questions. But I didn't ask them.......for you," Wendy said as she bit her lower lip. Fresh tears rolled down her already moist cheeks.
"What do you mean.....for me?" Harry asked.
Wendy seemed to consider her answer. "I......you......you'd known about them for so much longer. I.....I didn't feel right taking that moment away from you. So I kept quiet.........and now I can't go back." She began crying again.
Harry felt like he had been slapped. He felt horrible. "You didn't have to do that. I would've understood. They're your parents too."
Wendy sat up, tucking her knees to her chest. "See that's just it. You seem to have some kind of bond with them that I don't. They're with you..........always. I can practically see them standing next to you. Me........I feel like as soon as I was stolen, what ever string that tied me to them was cut. I think it's because they thought I was lost. Their spirits didn't call out to me because they didn't know I was still alive."
Harry sat next to her and put a hand on her shoulder. "Well.....they know now," he said as he smiled.
Wendy sniffed and smiled slightly. "Thanks," she said as she gave him a hug.
"Are you okay now?"
"Not yet. But I'm better than I was. I'll survive," she said with a half smile.
There was a knock at the door. "Come in Sirius," Harry said.
"Everything okay?" Sirius asked.
Wendy sniffed and wiped her eyes. "Yeah. I think I just needed Harry ta kick the shit outta my doom-N-gloom fairies," she said with a small laugh.
Sirius cocked an eyebrow and then laughed. "You are a strange girl," he said as he shook his head.
Wendy smiled. "Thanks. I work at it."
"You two need to get to bed. You have a long train ride ahead of you in the morning," Sirius pointed out.
The Potters nodded and Harry left the room. Once the door to her room clicked shut Wendy rolled over and fell into a troubled sleep.
........TO BE CONTINUED