Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Terror Nights by Songbird21
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Terror Nights

Songbird21

This chapter was automatically imported from the story archive available on /r/HPharmony.

Please report any issues by using the Report as broken button!

Harry Potter and the Terror Nights- by Songbird21

Chapter 8

(Part of the 'Emerald Spellbook' series)

Harry Potter and all the characters are not mine blah blah blah. The only things/people I own are Wendy Potter, Tea Mason, Esmeralda Carney, Kimberly Gellar, the spell creation course, the mermaid language course, the broom making course, the blue magic flower ball, and "The Secret Lives of Spirits". Please do not use them in a story without asking me.
Oh, and to clear something up. They are in seventh year. I don't know why nobody seems to know this. I mentioned twice in my previous fic that they had been in sixth year, so I thought it'd be obvious that this was their seventh. Oh well.
Please read and review. It really makes my day! Thanks!
=======================================================================
=======================================================================
Harry and Ron sat on Harry's bed while they sorted through a pile of Berti Botts Every Flavor Beans. They had them piled together according to flavor. At least, that's what they were trying to do.
"Blech!" Ron said as he spat out a chewed bean. "Harry, you put spinach in the lime pile again."
Harry shrugged. "Sorry, mate. Some of the colors look almost identical."
Ron was gulping down the pitcher of water that had been on the night stand next to Harry's bed when Hermione came in. She sighed loudly. "Ron," she said accusingly. Ron just stared at her with his cheeks full of water with a look that said 'What now?'. She sighed again. "Oh never mind," she said as she waved her hand dismissively. She walked over and sat down next to Harry. "How are you feeling?" she asked as she stroked his cheek.
Harry smiled. "Better now that you're here," he said as he leaned up for a quick kiss.
Ron rolled his eyes. "Oy, you two. You mind? I just ate," he said with a big grin. He moved out of the way just in time to avoid Harry trying to whack him one.
"Where's Wendy and George?" Harry asked once he'd given up on reaching Ron.
"They're only letting a few students down from the common rooms at a time," Hermione explained. "They're worried about more attacks," she said as she bit her lower lip.
Harry nodded. "Makes sense," he said as he grabbed his glasses off the bedside table.
"And they've canceled classes until further notice," Hermione said with a scowl on her face.
Harry laughed. "You're probably the only one who's upset about that."
Hermione pursed her lips in annoyance.
"Alright Harry," said Madam Pomfrey as she walked over to the trio, "You're all set. You may leave any time you wish," she said with a smile. She walked back to her desk and sat down.
Hermione put a gentle hand on Harry's shoulder. "I'll leave so you can get dressed," she said. She gave him a small kiss on the cheek and walked out the door.
=======================================================================
Harry and Ron walked the long route back to the Gryffindor common room. Harry yawned. "Those beds are awful. I barely slept all night," he said as he kicked a piece of stone that had come loose from the floor.
Suddenly, Ron stopped in his tracks. Harry took a few more steps before realizing he was alone and walked back to his best friend. "Ron?" he asked. "What's the matter?"
Ron shook back the dazed look on his face. "I just remembered something Esmeralda said to me," he said in a quiet voice.
"What?" Harry asked as he pushed his glasses higher up onto his nose.
Ron cleared his throat. "She said something about the basement of the dungeons. I think we need to go down there," he said as he slowly started walking again.
"Hmm," was Harry's temporary reply. Ron could see his friend was thinking, and so remained quiet. "I'm actually not the who's the only target for a change......Is it really worth it? But what if they come after Mione next....?" Finally he nodded. "Okay. But this time I want to talk to Dumbledore first," he said as he yawned again.
The two friends headed towards the direction of the Great Hall. Once there, they peered inside through the small space between the large doors. Dumbledore, who had apparently just entered the room before Harry and Ron got there, seated himself at the head of a long table. All other teachers that were not guarding the students filled the rest of the elegant, high-backed chairs.
"Did any of you find anything?" Dumbledore said in a concerned voice.
"No," replied Madam Pomfrey. "Albus, we must get the children out of here," she said tensely.
Dumbledore frowned. "I am aware of that Poppy. Unfortunately this force field is something that is beyond my powers."
Every teacher in the room instantly looked nervous. "How is that possible?" Madame Pomfrey asked.
"It is created by these spirits. Thus far we have seen three of them. I believe there are more. When a force field is created by the dead it is much more powerful since they have no bodies to inhibit the flow of magic." He sighed and interlaced his fingers, resting his chin on the tops of his knuckles. "We have no choice, but to find the source of these spirits."
"Their source?" Professor Flitwick asked as he re-adjusted his position on the stack of dictionaries being used to bring him to a proper seating height.
"Their graves," Dumbledore replied solemnly.
The entire teaching staff sucked in a breath. Wizards or not, the idea of digging around in someone's grave was not appealing in the slightest.
Harry had heard enough. "We have to go in there," he said as he pushed his way through the doors.
Ron was less than enthusiastic about this course of action. He knew he would get in trouble for interrupting a teacher's meeting, but he followed anyway.
The two friends had failed to notice the young male ghost who had been watching them. "Hmmm." He turned to leave. "I'd better report this to Jacob," he said as he floated away.
Professor Dumbledore looked up when Harry and Ron entered. Ron expected to be told to leave at once but.....
"Harry? What is it?" Dumbledore said with concern as he rose from his seat.
"I'm sorry for interrupting Professor, but we think we might know where you need to start looking," Harry said as he stepped forward. He glanced at Ron and then continued. "Esmeralda told Ron to look in the basement."
Dumbledore's face instantly became stern. "Then we must search the dungeons immediately." The teachers all gave a quick nod and stood.
As they walked out of the Great Hall Harry and Ron made to follow, but Dumbledore stopped them by holding out his arm. "Not this time you two."
"But..." Harry began.
"For once, your life is not in immediate danger. I should like to keep it that way," Dumbledore said with a warm smile. "Please return to your common room and inform Professor McGonagall of what is happening."
Harry sighed and nodded, then he and Ron left the area.
As Harry and Ron were walking back to Gryffindor tower Harry looked out the windows as they passed by them. He shuddered at the lack of sunlight. If it was possible, it seemed even darker than before. "It's just creepy. It's the middle of the day and it's pitch black out." he thought.
As they stepped up to the door to the common room they noticed it was unusually quiet. It made them nervous, so they were as silent as possible as they slid through the door. They saw that all the Gryffindors were huddled together in the center of the room, with Professor McGonagall and George on the outside edge, wands drawn....and pointed in their direction.
The moment Harry and Ron were completely through the door George and McGonagall visibly relaxed and lowered their wands. McGonagall let out the breath she had apparently been holding and put a hand over her heart. "For the love of Merlin, boys! Don't sneak up on us like that!"
Harry smiled a little. It was rare to see McGonagall so flustered and for some reason, he found it amusing. "What's going on?" he asked.
"We were attacked earlier. Paravati's finger was broken. Hermione is attempting to fix it now," McGonagall said as George and the students sat down in various places through out the room. Harry then relayed the information of what Dumbledore and the other teachers were doing. When he had finished she sat down heavily in one of the soft armchairs. "I do wish he had asked me to come along. She looked at the floor and said in a soft whisper, "Be careful Albus."
=======================================================================
Professor Dumbledore and the teachers cautiously headed down the halls to the dungeons. The walls seemed much closer than normal. The closer they got to the basement stairwell, the colder the air around them became.
"It shouldn't be this cold down here," remarked Professor Sprout as small puffs of white escaped from her mouth with each breath.
"I know Pomona," Dumbledore replied. (A/N- I took the first name for Sprout from the trading card game. It may or may not, be accurate.) His heart pounded in his chest as he walked, more from adrenaline than fear. Something wasn't right, and it wasn't just the cold. The path to the stairs kept taking turns where it shouldn't have. Not long after he had spoken to Sprout he stopped walking. "Everyone. Turn around."
Professor Flitwick eyed Dumbledore warily. "Why?" he asked, his voice trembling slightly.
"This is a trap," Dumbledore quickly replied.
On that note, everyone turned to go down the hall they had just come through....except that it wasn't there. A straight, stone wall stood in front of them.
"What now Albus?" Snape asked in his usual calm growl.
"It would seem that we have no choice," Dumbledore said as he turned around. "We must go forward," he said calmly, and began walking.
The teachers nervously followed the Headmaster of Hogwarts down into the cold, uninviting depths.

.........TO BE CONTINUED

=======================================================================