Unofficial Portkey Archive

Return of the Lion by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Return of the Lion

E. C. R. Potter

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter series belongs to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bros. Inc., Scholastic, Bloomsbury, Raincoast, and any other affiliated party.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms."

1 Peter 4:10

Chapter 4: Return to Hogwarts

Once the sight of the greatest school of witchcraft and wizardry in the world, Hogwarts castle was now the headquarters of the largest resistance organization against Voldemort. The leaders of the resistance were the former professors of the school as well as a number of powerful witches and wizards, and the castle was still the citadel of hope and citadel against the war against the Dark Forces.

On Christmas Day, the leaders of the resistance were discussing their next course of action against the Dark Lord. Present in the Great Hall were some of the most powerful wizards and witches on the light side.

"Is everyone here and accounted for?" asked Minerva McGonagall. She was one of the leaders of the Hogwarts resistance.

"We are all here but I don't think we're all accounted for," said Severus Snape sounding as oily as usual. He gestured toward Sirius Black who was dozing on the table across from him. Remus Lupin, who was sitting next to Sirius, nudged him with his elbow. Sirius sprang up.

"Did we win the war yet?" he asked still half asleep. Remus rolled his eyes.

"Its like I always say," mumbled Alastar "Mad-eye" Moody. "People don't have enough CONSTANT VIGILENCE!"

"Let us begin right away," said McGonagall with her usual no nonsense tone. "Hagrid, have you been able to contact the giants?"

Rubeus Hagrid straightened up in his much too small seat. "Most of 'em haven' chosen sides professor," he said. "But some a 'em went ta You-know-who's side. I know that at least me cousin, Fanir went ta the dark side."

McGonagall sighed. "I wonder what Albus would say about that if he were here," she muttered. She turned to Arthur and Molly Weasley. "Arthur, have you been able to contact some of the muggle resistance groups?"

Arthur sighed as he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "Yes, but they haven't been to forth coming. Most of them have a deep-rooted fear of wizards and frankly, I don't blame them. It's going to be very hard convincing them to fight along magical resistance groups."

McGonagall was about to say something when the doors suddenly swung open. The members of the resistance all held their breath thinking it was a Death Eater attack, but they all let out a gasp when Ron Weasley entered leading an 18-year old girl dressed in muggle clothes with long auburn hair. Without a word, Molly Weasley ran forward and pulled her son into a strong bear hug.

"Owe Mum. You're cutting my circulation," complained Ron.

"Ron where have you been all this time?" scolded Arthur as he pulled Ron into a hug.

"Er, Dad. You're not going to believe this but I was attending a muggle university in New York." Ron turned to the bashful looking girl right next to him. "Mum, Dad, this is Margaret Chapel. Maggie, these are my parents."

Margaret made a polite curtsey. "Hello Mr. Weasley. Mrs. Weasley," she said a little shyly. Margaret was completely startled when Molly suddenly pulled her into a fierce hug.

"Any friend of Ron is a friend of the entire Weasley family," she said. She pulled away from the flustered looking Margaret and turned to her son. "Ronald Weasley, you have a lot of explaining to do. What were you thinking, just running off to America."

"Uh, Mum. Before you say anything, there's someone else with us." He and Margaret stepped out of the way to allow another man to enter the Great Hall. All of the Hogwarts resistance gasped when Harry Potter walked in.

For about a full minute, there was pure silence in the hall. Then, Sirius suddenly bounded up, grabbed Harry by the collar, and started to shake him senseless. "Where the hell have been?! Do you know how much we needed you here while you were away at God knows where?" he demanded.

"S...Sirius. Can I have my circulation back?" said Harry. Sirius released him. "I'll explain everything later. For now, please just accept the fact that I'm back."

Sirius stared at Harry for a while before he smiled and pulled Harry into a hug. As if the hug was a cue, all of the other members of the ganged up on Harry, either wishing him a welcome back, or scolding him for leaving them without a word.

* * * * * * * * * *

After all manners of explanations on part of Harry and Ron were given, it was decided that Margaret would be given a crash course education in magic while the others prepared for battle. The first move was to get Margaret a wand. Mr. Ollivander was amongst the resistance and with him, his entire stock of wands.

"Ah yes, Mr. Weasley," said Mr. Ollivander. "Fourteen inches, willow, unicorn tail-hair, was it not?"

"Yes it was," said Ron. "We were able to get it with prize money my Dad won in a Daily Prophet Draw. It was actually my second wand, but the first one was a hand me down so it doesn't really count."

Mr. Ollivander nodded before he turned to Harry. "Mr. Potter. Holly, eleven inches, and phoenix feather: excellent for dueling. One of the most powerful wands I ever sold, along with its brother."

Harry nodded and pulled out his wand. "Still the same one," he said.

Mr. Ollivander turned to Margaret and smiled. "Now lets see which wand will chose you, Miss Chapel. Which arm is your wand arm?"

Margaret timidly lifted her right arm up: Mr. Ollivader scared her out a bit with his eerie nature. Mr. Ollivander set the tape measure on her arm and Margaret jumped a little when she noticed that it was taking measurements on its own. Mr. Ollivander finally emerged with a wand.

"Try this, eight inches, maple, and a single feather of a phoenix. Wave it around." Margaret took the wand and waved it but before she was able to bring it down, Mr. Ollivander snatched it out of her hand. "No? Well, how about this? Twelve inches, cherry, and dragon heartstring." Margaret waved it but it was snatched away again. This continued on for another couple of wands, all with no success. Margaret started to get worried that no wand would be suitable for her. Mr. Ollivander on the other hand seemed to be enjoying what he was doing. "Tricky customer eh?" said Mr. Ollivander with glee. "Well, maybe this one. Twelve inches, pine, and a single tail hair from a unicorn."

Margaret took the wand timidly. Immediately, she felt wand get a little wand and buzz with an electric tingling. She waved the wand around and blue sparks shot out.

"Bravo," said Mr. Ollivander while clapping his hands.

"All right!" shouted Ron as he made a victory pose. Harry was also beaming. Margaret smiled at them.

"Well, let's go set up your magical education why not?" said Harry as they made their way back to the Great Hall. They met McGonagall there.

"Well Miss Chapel, I ask that you brace yourself because we are going to cram in what students usually learn throughout seven years into a couple of weeks. It is going to be a lot of hard work."

Margaret smiled and said, "I'll be ready for anything Professor."

McGonagall nodded and said, "Of course it would be a lot easier to work out a curriculum if we could get you sorted."

"That would be no problem," said Harry. "Margaret, could you sit on that stool?" Harry pointed to a stool in one of the corners of the room. Margaret shrugged and sat on the stool. Harry whipped his hat off of his head and placed it on Margaret's head. He pulled it down below her eyes and ears. After about a minute of silence, Ron made a double take when the hat yelled, "RAVENCLAW!"

Ron timidly pointed at the tattered hat as Harry put it back on his head. "Um, Harry, is that hat..."

"Yep, it's the school Sorting Hat," said Harry. "Brilliant companion but can be a bit annoying at times."

"It said that I have the strong qualities of a Gryffindor but that my intelligence points more toward Ravenclaw," said Margaret with a faint smile.

"Well, that settles it," said McGonagall. "Miss Chapel, we will begin your training tomorrow. You will learn Transfiguration with me, Potions with Professor Snape, Defense against the Dark Arts with Professor Lupin, Herbology with Professor Sprout, and Charms with Professor Flitwick."

"I'll make you proud professor," said Margaret. After McGonagall had left, Margaret turned to Harry and Ron. "You got any advice?" she asked.

"Just keep an eye out on Snape," said Harry.

"Yeah, Snape, our most brilliant potions master. Just loved us," said Ron sarcastically.

"You're also lucky you're only taking the core curriculum," said Harry. "Otherwise you might've ended up with Trelawny in divination." Ron snorted with laughter.

"Oh yeah, never failed to predict Harry's death," he said. Both he and Harry burst out laughing.

"I'm still a little scared. What if I'm no good at magic?" asked Margaret, looking a little worried.

"Don't worry about it Maggie," said Ron. "Trust me, before you know it, you'll be out-dueling me."

* * * * * * * * * *

A few days later, the leaders of the resistance were discussing their next plan of action. It was decided that some wizards were to free the prisoners in a labor camp near Manchester. It was also hoped that the move could convince some muggles to combine their resistance movements.

"So do we have any volunteers who want to go on this mission?" asked McGonagall.

"I volunteer," said Harry before anyone else could speak up. All of the leaders stared at the young wizard.

"Harry, I would've thought you'd want to stay in some position of leadership," said Sirius.

"Wouldn't your skills work better in a place of authority?" asked Remus.

"I appreciate the confidence everyone has in my leadership abilities," said Harry with a small smile. "However, the place where I can use my abilities the most is out on the battlefield. It was what I was trained to do these past two years."

Murmurs filled the hall as the leaders discussed, Harry's decision to go straight into the line of fire. Finally, Snape spoke up, "What's with all the discussion? Surely, if Potter wants to go get himself killed, let him go get himself killed. It would do us all a favor."

"Love the confidence you have in Harry, Snape," said Ron. He turned to Harry and said, "You know I'm not going to let you go alone, right?"

"Ron I'm not letting you come with me. Its too dangerous," said Harry.

"Oh, like we all don't live during dangerous times," said Ron. "What right do you have to order me around, Harry?"

"Look Ron. I can't bear putting you in danger. There's too much responsibility on this mission."

"Oh, and I suppose you can handle all the responsibility," snapped Ron. "Look who's talking! You disappeared for two years without a word! I admit that I can fully accept your excuse but it still doesn't take away the bloody fact that you were gone!"

"Ron, I..."

"Don't 'Ron' me, Harry! I'm coming with you and that's final!"

Harry finally gave up. "OK Ron, you can come with me." Harry sighed while Ron grinned and slapped Harry on the back.

"Oh, but Ron, Harry's right it's too dangerous for you," said Molly.

Arthur however, said, "Molly, Ron's a grown up man now, he can make his own decisions." Molly sighed and gave in.

"OK then," said Remus. "You two should leave first thing in the morning. Oh, and you should probably take this with you." Harry gasped when he saw Remus pull out his father's invisibility cloak.

"OK Remus," said Harry while grinning. "And thanks for looking after the cloak while I was away."

The next morning, Harry and Ron took off on broomsticks, flying south to the realm of Voldemort's empire.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A/N OK, I got so many complaints that I'm going to have to tell you now: Hermione will get her legs back, just not yet, and not for a while. So please, keep that in mind as you read this. So please R/R and wait for the next chapter.