Unofficial Portkey Archive

Moonlight Sonata by Tayler
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Moonlight Sonata

Tayler

"What have I done?" Ginny slid down the wall, scolding herself for doing what she had just done. Ask to take piano lessons, from a Malfoy? Had she lost her bloody mind? Why had she even followed the music when she had no idea who or what would be on the other end?

She buried her face in her hands, trying to clear her thoughts. Why could she just keep her nose out of things? She was always getting in trouble for snooping at home and now she'd been stupid enough to do it here.

Groaning audibly, she pushed herself to her feet and made her way to the Gryffindor Tower. She let her fingers trace the creases in the wall as she walked, the sad music floating through her mind. Something about it made her feel sympathy for the snobby Slytherin git, which was a surprise in itself seeing as she had never felt sorry for him. He looked so sad when he was playing it and the sound that came when his fingers danced on the keys was breath taking.

Ginny had seen a piano before. Having her father in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts department at the Ministry of Magic had its perks. He had brought one home once, returning it soon after because he had no idea what to do with it. He knew it made sounds when you pressed the 'keys' but he didn't know how to put the notes together. Ginny had been fascinated and attempted to make her own music in the short period of time that it was in the Burrow. Her brothers had complained, begging her to ask her father to put a silencing charm around the room where it stood. She had snapped at them and told them to go elsewhere if they were going to whine. She had however asked her father to bring her a book or someone to teach her but he had shook his head, saying teachers cost money and he didn't know where to get a book for such a contraption.

Well now she had her chance to learn and didn't want too. She didn't like him one bit and now she was going to spend more time with him than necessary. It wasn't that she was afraid or anything, she brought him down to size last year with her little Weasley special but there was something about him that just didn't make her feel right. He was…strange. And now she was going out of her way to be with him! Why the hell did she ask?

Once again the music danced in her mind, the sad melody telling her the reason. Yes, she would go, despite everything inside her telling her to back away and never go back. She looked down at her watch. Eight forty three the crooked hands told her. 'This time tomorrow,' she thought to herself, 'I'll be on my way to my first piano lesson'.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Where is that girl?" Draco grumbled under his breath. He leaned against the wall beside the open door, staring at the open space and drumming his fingers impatiently against his upper arms. He did say nine o'clock didn't he? Yes, he was sure of that. He didn't know why he had allowed this waste of his time happen. Company or not, if she didn't get here soon he wouldn't bother showing up tomorrow.

He groaned softly under his breath and moved to shut the door. It swung into place with a satisfying click. After letting his fingers linger on the door handle for a moment, Draco retreated to his beloved. He gracefully sat on the bench and opened gently lifted the cover that protected the sacred black and white keys. Did he really want another touching them? He slid his fingers over them with care, relishing the smoothness of their touch.

His hands took their position over them and began to dance. The same sad music lifted into the air, almost drowning out the sound of the approaching footsteps. He heard the door fly open behind him and someone breathing hard.

"You're late," he drawled, continuing to play as if he was still the only one in the room still.

"I-I'm s-sorry," a soft voice panted. The harsh breath began to calm and quiet down. Muffled footsteps approached him and then stopped a few feet away.

Draco wasn't bothered by her closeness but he felt her eyes on him and it was…unsettling. His father had watched over his shoulder his whole life but it wasn't his father here. Why was this so bothersome?

He finished the last notes and turned to the flushed face girl. Her crimson hair hung down to just below her shoulders in loose curly locks. She played with the hem of one of her robe sleeves while her she shifted her weight from one foot to the other in either nervousness or impatience. Biting her lower lip, her innocent ocean blue eyes stared sown at him.

Draco realized he was staring, What was wrong with him? How was this girl getting to him by just looking at him? He regained composure and tilted his head to the side, meeting her gaze with his own.

"Are you going to just stand there or are you going to sit down?"

Author's note: What was I thinking?!?!?! Ginny timid! Bah! I'm sorry for the mess up and hope you can all forgive me. Please keep reviewing and thanks for catching that when I didn't.