Unofficial Portkey Archive

Awakening the Dragon by Kai_Lun_Mau
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Awakening the Dragon

Kai_Lun_Mau

Awakening the Dragon

Chapter 2

It was early when the pair of runaways arrived at Diagon Alley, barely eight o'clock in the morning as Harry and Hermione slipped through the Leaky Cauldron into the back yard where the entrance to Diagon Alley was located. Harry stared at the wall for a moment. "Bugger what was it Hagrid said that day, uh, three across four up?"

Hermione shook her head an amused smile on her face as she drew her wand and gently tapped the portal bricks and stepped back as the archway widened revealing Diagon Alley as it slowly got ready for a new day.

"Smarty pants"

Hermione just stuck her tongue out at Harry as he reached for her his hand fitting around hers like a glove. "Where to first?"

Harry glanced around as if looking for something. "Gringots, I need to make arrangements for my money, if we do this we do it properly. Are you sure about this Hermione, cause some of the things we'll need won't be easy to get or in pleasant places, hell some of the things we'll need are probably dark artefacts."

Hermione pulled her hand away from his and folded her arms across her chest giving him the glare she had learned from Professor Mcgonnagal. "I'm not having this conversation with you again Harry, where you go I go, end of story, no further discussion, bring it up again and I'll use the curse of the bogeys on you."

Harry stepped back waving his hands in front of him to ward her off. "I promise, I promise!" He sighed in relief as she switched off the glare and slipped her hand back into his. "Gringots first then we split up, there's something I have to do, while I'm doing it you can go to Flourish and Blotts and pick out whatever you think can help us." He looked at their two packs and frowned. "No more than five though ok, we can find others when we get to where ever we are going."

Hermione nodded slightly. "Any idea's where we will go?" She asked curiously as the pair made their way along the winding cobblestone streets to the bank. The Goblin at the doors eye's widened slightly when they came into view and bowed as he pulled the massive doors open ushering them both inside before he darted off into the shadowy recesses of the bank.

"What was that all about?" Harry glanced at Hermione who just shrugged her own confusion clearly mirroring his own. Moments later an elderly looking Goblin approached and flashed them his shark like grin. "Mr Potter, we were not expecting you so soon."

Harry's brow furrowed. "You were expecting me, has Albus Dumbledore been here recently?"

The Goblin shook its head a confused look on its face. "My apologies Mr Potter but you aren't here in conjunction with your late God Fathers last wizarding will and testament?"

Harry felt as though he'd been sucker punched as his hand clenched reflexively around Hermione's. "I-I wasn't…I didn't know Sirius made a will…"

The goblin shook its head once more. "The letter was forwarded to Albus Dumbledore a week ago informing you of the conditions of the will itself. Am I to believe you have not received this letter, this is highly irregular." It snapped it's fingers and one of the junior Goblins Hermione supposed scurried to its side and was given several whispered instructions. "Mr Potter if you and your friend would like to follow me I will explain, I can only offer my deepest apologies in regards to the letter."

Harry nodded at a loss for words but inside a tiny spark flared as the thought that once more Dumbledore was interfering with his life. Quietly the two teens followed the goblin through a door into an office that stacked floor to ceiling with account books and other items. The Goblin gestured to a pair of chairs. "First allow me to introduce myself, I am Chief of accounts Ragnar. Now you were aware that your godfather was the last heir of the house of black." He waved Harry off as he opened his mouth to answer. "Yes yes we know there are still several relatives of the family but wizarding law is very specific, the heir can only a direct descendant of the eldest child of the founder of the family, that is why your god fathers mother could never fully disown her son. Wizarding law prevents such acts and as he was her eldest son his will is legally binding."

Harry nodded. "Sorry but can you please tell me where this is going because I'm a little lost here."

"Of course." Ragnar flashed Harry his toothy smile and lay a roll of parchment on the table and unrolled it. "In his will Sirius Black left everything to you, making you heir of the house of Black holdings, the reason a letter was sent to you was to inform you that several papers needed signing transferring all funds to from his account to yours."

Hermione glanced at Harry as she felt his hand tighten around hers painfully she could see the pain etched in all his features. She leaned over her breath soft and caressing his face startling him from his thoughts as her whispered voice filled his ear. "You didn't kill him Harry, you're not to blame, Bellatrix Lestrange did this, Voldemort did this. I know what you are think Harry, you're thinking I killed him now I'm getting all his money. But you didn't kill him."

He turned to face her his eyes bright with unshed tears. "He was there because of me Hermione, I led him to that place and that got him killed."

Hermione nodded slightly. "Yes he was there because of you, but you were there for him and because of Voldemort, it's terrible and it hurts and I know you want to curl up and let the world rot but Sirius would be the first to curse you if you tried." She wrapped her free arm around him hugging him tightly. "Take his final gift Harry and let's use it to finish this fight."

Harry clung to her like his life depended on it as waves of grief smashed into him. Blindly he reached for the quill and scrawled his signature at the bottom. Ragnar nodded slightly as the parchment rolled it's self up and vanished with a pop. "If you would like to follow me I will escort you to your new vault."

*************

It was almost an hour later when two somewhat shell-shocked teens walked back into the lobby of the bank. Hermione stared at the floor. "That was a lot of gold…I mean I knew you were rich Harry, Merlin Ron goes on about it often enough but I never thought it was that much." Harry jut nodded dumbly his vault was almost three times the size it had been originally. A cough alerted them to Ragnar's presence.

"Will there be anything else Mr Potter?"

"Huh? Oh yeah, look my friend and I will be travelling extensively for a while and It will likely be between wizarding and muggle worlds and I think heft a hundred lbs. of gold around would be a little conspicuous, is there anyway you can help us out?"

"Ragnar frowned for a moment. "Yes…yes I believe there is a way, it is a relatively new feature established for the recent rise in muggle born wizards, and it is called the Gringots gold card. It works along the lines of a muggle credit card, and in the muggle world appears as such and can be used in the muggle world as one."

Harry nodded. "That will work, can you arrange for two for me, one for myself and one in the name of Hermione Granger."

Hermione looked shocked. "Harry I can't accept that!"

Harry smiled slightly. "You are coming on this journey with me Hermione, you saw my vault, we'll need money to buy supplies and other things and this way you won't need to come find me every time you see something you think we'll need."

She sighed. "I thought I was supposed to be the logical one, ok but I'll only use it for emergencies ok?"

Harry just shook his head; there was no way he'd convince her otherwise. "Ok Mione, Mr Ragnar can you arrange those cards for me?"

The Goblin nodded. "If you would follow me please." The goblin led them both to one of the counters and withdrew to golden coloured pieces of parchment. "Please draw your wands and tap the parchment and clearly state your names."

"Harry James Potter."

"Hermione Jane Granger."

The parchments flared brightly for a brief moment and in their place where two golden cards with the words Gringots across them. "Now unless there is anything else Mr Potter I really must get back to work." Harry shook his head in the negative and the Goblin hopped from its seat and vanished once more into the back.

Hermione glanced at her friend. "So where now?" She tucked the card away in her pocket and reached for his hand squeezing it gently. "Flourish and Blotts?"

Harry nodded. "No Knockturn alley, there are to many ways for us to be tracked magically, we need something and somehow I don't think that's gonna be available here in Diagon Alley."

Hermione frowned. "Are you sure that's wise Harry, Knockturn Alley is practically DeathEater central."

"I know but we don't have any other choice."

Grabbing there bags the pair left Gringots and made there way to the junction where Diagon Alley and Knockturn met. Drawing their wands and holding them by their sides the pair entered through the dingy arch and proceeded down the twisty turning paths till a sign caught their eye `Caliko's Emporium`. Harry glanced at Hermione who shrugged in silent reply and Harry twisted the doorknob and both entered.

"Hmmm Welcome to Caliko's Emporium, I am Caliko and how may I help such fresh faced teens this dreadfully bright sunny morning."

Hermione squeaked in fright and Harry spun his wand drawn as what they first thought to be a Dummy greeted them. "Bloody hell!" Harry lowered his wand. "Sorry you startled us. I'm hoping you can help us we are looking for Aura shielding charms, cost is no object."

Caliko reached out with gnarled skinny fingers and flicked Harry's fringe. "Hmmm the boy who lived yes?" He turned to Hermione and sneered. "You would the little mudblood he hangs around with, oh yes I know all about you, kindly leave we don't serve you kind here."

Caliko flinched as a plane of glass in one of his display cabinets shattered and Harry's quiet voice seemed to fill the store. "Hermione can you wait outside for a moment, Mr Caliko and I need to discuss something."

Hermione frowned, her fingers tightening over her wand as she backed away and outside into the street. Harry glanced up and Caliko met the boys crimson gaze. "Now, what did you call her again?"

***********

It was twenty minutes later when Harry left the store with two pendants in his hands. He smiled to Hermione as he slipped one over her head before slipping the second over his own. Hermione glared at him. "What happened?"

Harry flashed her that crooked grin that made her heart thump in her chest. "Let's just say I explained why he should never use that word again."

Back inside the shop Caliko picked himself up off the floor his ears ringing, he stared in horror at the remains of his business, every pane of glass, every piece of pottery basically in a word his entire store had been smashed. Books were strewn across the floor and on shaky legs he pushed himself to his feet and staggered towards his stockpile of parchment and quickly scribbled a note. Bellatrix the whelp and his mudblood girlfriend are alone in Diagon alley. He climbed the stairs to his quarters and attached the note to his eagle owls foot and set it loose. Shakily he lowered himself onto his bed and closed his eyes trying desperately to erase the memory of the boy's eyes.

***********

Finally the two left knockturn both happy too once more be in the bright cheerful Diagon alley. Harry grinned. "Now you can got to Flourish and Blotts and I'll met you there, there's something I want to, no need to do."

Hermione folded her arms across her chest. "Promise me you won't go running off and try to leave me behind."

"Marauders honour."

She glared at him. "And I'm supposed to trust that with a motto like I solemnly swear I'm up to no good?"

"Personally I can't think of a better motto can you?" Harry flashed her that crooked grin. "Look I'm going to get something done and I swear that I'll meet you at the book shop."

"Ok…" She leaned over and hugged Harry tightly before she slipped around the corner leaving Harry alone. He turned and ran his gaze along the shop signs till he found the one he was looking for and grinned.

*********

Dumbledore paused in Diagon Alley as he saw his young charge leaving Magical Maladies and Curious Cures. "Harry!"

Harry turned and frowned as his eyes met that of his former headmaster. "What do you want Dumbledore?"

"Harry you must stop this foolishness at once and come with me, it's not safe for you or Miss Granger."

Harry flashed Dumbledore a dangerous look. "Not safe, come with you?" He stood there just staring at his former headmaster. "And go where exactly, back to privet drive?" He laughed bitterly. "I know how about back to Hogwarts where you can teach me how to transfigure a goblet into a Rat, I'm sure that will help me fend off the next attack."

"Harry you aren't thinking clearly!" Dumbledore began to walk towards the boy he thought so much of. "I did what I had to do, I had no other choice."

"No other choice?" Harry sneered and finally he met the old mans gaze. "And for the first time I am really thinking clearly Albus. I am no longer playing your game."

"Forgive me." Dumbledore's hand raised his wand gripped tightly. "Stupefy!"

Harry snarled in rage as his magic reacted instinctively a crimson corona of light surrounding him as Dumbledore's spell struck and suddenly expanded outwards. All along Diagon Alley windows smashed and shop signs smouldered as the magic blast roared away from Harry. Dumbledore staggered falling to one knee as the corona washed over him. Finally he managed to raise his gaze and meet those of his student and in the moment he knew he had failed.

All around harry the energy field crackled, his hair floated in an unfelt breeze and small items of litter, rocks and dirt floated, he stared down at Dumbledore and smirked. "I am no ones pawn any more Dumbledore, I decide my own fate, I decide my destiny, not some bloody prophecy by some batty old fraud."

He flinched when he felt a hand on his arm and spun almost lashing out only to meet the chocolate gaze of his best friend. She stared into his eyes, her only bright with fear, but not fear of him but for him. "Please Harry, stop, this isn't why we are leaving, they need him and you are better than this."

He reached up and gently touched her cheek and let his eyes close, he opened them and once more emerald eyes met chocolate brown. "I'm sorry."

A high pitched cackle filled the air disturbing the moment. "Well, well, well seems like little Potty baby has a girlfriend, oh, oh, oh, can I kill her please, please, please?" Harry and Hermione turned and blanched in a mixture of hatred and fear. And the end of the street stood their greatest fear.

"Now, now Bellatrix, we wouldn't want to disturb such a tender moment, it would seem Potter that you didn't learn your lesson at the department of mysteries, and yet again you find yourself running head long into danger." Voldemort smiled his serpentine smile as he stroked the head of the snake wrapped around his neck.

"Tom…" Harry laughed and pulled Hermione behind him as he started to back away. "I wouldn't be here Tom cause I'm kinda having control issues and you know what, you're making them worse." Crimson gaze met crimson gaze and Voldemort smiled.

"You should have listened to that old fool Potter."

Harry just laughed a confident sound that echoes off the buildings as he felt Hermione squeezed his hand. "I know the full Prophecy Tom, I KNOW IT!" He smirked. "I know what happens Tom I know how to beat you, would you like to know?" He tapped his forehead. "It's all in here you know you just gotta risk finding it."

"Die Boy!" Voldemort raised his wand several of his followers mirroring his actions. Cries of Avada Kedavra filled the air and several bolts of emerald death roared through the streets towards the two teenagers and the elderly headmaster. Once more the corona of crimson energy of Harry's wild magic flared and the very cobblestones of the street tore them selves loose and started to spin rapidly around the three of them. Harry flinched as the spells connected with the spinning shield of cobbles as red-hot fragments sprayed across him.

The deatheaters wands lowered and they stared at the sight before them, Harry flashed a bitter smile and the corona of energy exploded outwards like before slamming the cobblestones into their ranks bowling them off their feet all except Voldemort who staggered backwards from the onslaught but remained upright.

"Clever trick Potter but not enough to defeat me!" Voldemort sneered as he raised his wand and once more aimed it at Harry but before he could utter the curse the air was rent with the sounds of multiple Apparations as Aurors and Order members finally appeared on the scene.

Curse flew thick and fast as DeathEaters and Aurors duelled Voldemort snarled in rage as he fired the killing curse dropping an Auror dead before turning to Harry. "This is not over Potter, it will never be over till I kill you!"

Harry just smirked. "I know how to beat you Tom and I'm going to get it and then we'll see who dies and who lives." Harry he tapped his forehead. "Remember what you want is in here Tom, I dare you to go in and get it cause trust me you won't like what you find."

Voldemort yelled in anger firing one more killing curse at the Aurors before apparating away and with their leader gone the DeathEaters soon followed. Harry spun around and wrapped a shaking Hermione in his arms whispering soothing words in her ear before he turned his attention to Dumbledore who stood several yards away. "That is why I'm done with you Dumbledore, you won't teach me what I need to know to beat him, so I'll find someone who does."

Dumbledore sighed sadly. "That it comes to this, I thought that we could work this out Harry, but one final question, do you know something, someway to beat Tom Riddle?"

Harry laughed. "If I knew that Albus I wouldn't be leaving, I told him I knew it to keep him focused on me and give all of you some breathing space till I really do figure out a way to kill him." Harry bent over and grabbed his and Hermione's packs from the floor and turning from Dumbledore he faced her. "After everything that just happened do you still want to come with me?"

She shook herself and glared. "Ask me that question once more Harry and remember my earlier threat I will transfigure your manhood to resemble a cocktail sausage." Harry grinned as she took his hand and almost as one the two teens made a break for it vanishing through the archway towards the leaky cauldron and out into the muggle world.

TBC…

AN: sorry for the delays on ALL my stories but If I ain't been sick someone else has or my ISP was restricted and my phone line was disconnected…but no longer so hope you enjoy it's taken me all day to write it

Yours truly

The Evil known as Kai Lun Mau