Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Cruelty of Fate by SoraSummers
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Cruelty of Fate

SoraSummers

A/N: Here's chapter five of the fic (the first four were in the prequel), it covers everything else that happened in the past after Lily/James died. More torture in this chapter, so beware! Once again, I implore that you read the L/J Cruelty of Fate fic before this one.

*****

Chapter Five

- Sirius -

An eerie wind chilled the bones of a dashing, slick haired man. His hair was nearly invisible in the black of night, as it blended in with the darkness. The man had a determined walk about him, whistling casually, his gray eyes fastened on the small cottage that lay a few hundred meters in front of him.

Sirius Black had come to check on his friend Peter Pettigrew, who had only the night before performed the Fidelius Charm, entrusting the protection of Lily and James Potter's whereabouts to him.

An uneasy feeling of dread settled over Sirius as the house grew larger in his vision, a feeling so uneasy that he broke into a run. Why were the lights off? Surely Peter was expecting him, they had discussed this only the night before! And if Peter wasn't there, then what did that mean?

Finally, lungs screaming for air, legs aching in distress, Sirius arrived at the stoop of what Peter Pettigrew was supposed to be calling home. It had been a brilliant idea really - everyone knew how loyal Sirius was, how great a wizard he had become. He would be the obvious choice of Secret Keeper, who else would it be?

That was why the honor had been given to Peter, as no one would suspect the bumbling, clumsy, poor wizard of being trusted with such vital information. There were no flaws seen to Sirius, it was perfect. Voldemort would chase him for days, weeks, months, years, even, if need be and luck prevailed, all while he had never been the secret keeper at all.

But there was a condition that he had not considered, had not believed to be possible. No, Peter could not have been the traitor! Could he? Was he a good enough wizard to fool them all?

There was only one way to find out. Sirius preformed an unlocking spell on the door to the cottage, and was treated to a scene of horror.

Not many people would be horrified of an emptied cabin, one that had absolutely nothing in it. Except for one who knew his best friend's life, as well as that of his wife and son, depended on the safety of the one living there.

The house had been filled only a few days before, and now it was empty, Peter was gone. And there could only be one reason why.

In a rage Sirius ran back to his motorcycle and took off for Godric's Hollow, where he knew the answer to his burning question would lie.

*****

- Albus Dumbledore -

Albus Dumbledore was working silently at his desk in the headmaster's office of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, when suddenly, one of the wards he had set up around England, wards that notified him whenever the dark mark was cast, started to hum in the back of the room.

Out of his chair much quicker than a man of his age should be able to do, he glided over to the alarm, and cursed silently at what it was telling him.

Godric's Hollow had been attacked.

*****

- Sirius -

A loud roar filled the air over Godric's Hollow as Sirius floated in from above, his question answered. A large, misty cloud floated above, Number Twelve, Godric's Hollow. The cloud was green, and in the shape of a skull, with a serpent protruding from the mouth.

Tears of sadness and anger welling up in his eyes, Sirius pushed past the crowd that had gathered around the house and made his way inside, preparing himself for what he was about to see.

Everyone recognized him, and the man standing guard at the house's entrance let him by without a word. Inside, the house was in shambles. A massive amount of magic had obviously been used, so much that it was going to cause the house to fall apart.

But none of that mattered now, as he saw a single figure slumped in the corner of the living room. His face and hands had been sliced multiple times, most probably by the tea glasses that were now laying in shards all over the room. One lens of his glasses was shattered, the other merely cracked, closed eyes hiding beneath them.

Sirius couldn't take it any more and let out an anguished sob, turning away from the dead body of his best friend. But something wasn't making sense. Voldemort had com, obviously, but why had he gone? Sirius thought he would have stayed and gloated, knowing full well that no one could oppose him any longer.

As he approached the nursery, his dread overwhelming, he heard a sound that made his heart leap into his throat. It was short, it was quiet, but it had been there. Harry had just let out a little cry.

Before he even knew what happened, Sirius was standing in Harry's room, taking in the sight before him. Lily was dead, laying on the floor beside Harry's crib. Sirius once again had to divert his eyes, trying to keep the tears at bay, but failing miserably.

But inside Harry's crib, there was movement. A cold shiver tingled down Sirius' spine. Could it be?

It was. The tears flowed freely when Sirius peered over the edge of the baby's crib to see a wide-awake and perfectly healthy Harry Potter staring back at him. Harry looked a little worse for the wear, but for the most part he looked normal, his emerald eyes showing that he was too young to understand what had just happened to his parents.

But there was a new feature to Harry, something that had not been there before. Just off-center, on Harry's forehead, there was a scar. The shape of a lightning bolt, the scar burned a deep red, as it had obviously only just been created.

Sirius gasped in realization…and the dark lord will mark him as his equal…

Even in the harsh reality of the deaths of his best friends, Sirius was able to form a small smile. Voldemort had tried to kill Harry, tried, but failed. And now he was gone. Not forever, no, Voldemort had taken precaution against that, but for the time-being, the world was a safer place.

He picked up Harry softly, wrapping the young child in a blanket, and cradling him, walked out of the house, to a crowd filled with expectant neighbors and foreigners alike. He saw the eight foot six inch Hogwarts groundskeeper, Rubeus Hagrid, near the front of the crowd.

Sobbing, he walked up to him and placed young Harry in his arms. "Take him to Dumbledore for me Hagrid," He whispered, fighting through the tears. "Lily and James are dead,"

Hagrid's face paled to the ghostly white that had once been the color of the now defeated Voldemort's skin. He gave Sirius a soft pat on the back, a pat that nearly toppled Sirius over. "There, there now, Sirius. It's horrible-" He choked on the words, tears spilling out onto his humongous face. "Horrible, what 'appened to Lily and James, but you've still got young 'Arry, 'ere, don't' ya?"

Sirius shook his head sadly, and gestured at his motorbike. "Take my bike Hagrid, I won't need it where I'm going. Oh," He figured he better tell the good news as well. "Voldemort's gone, by the way. Harry drove him off."

Without waiting for the crowd's startled reaction to this, Sirius dissapparated, determined to find and kill the traitor who had murdered his best friend.

*****

- Dumbledore -

Dumbledore had received a short letter from Fawkes, who he had sent to Hagrid, that told him everything that he needed to know.

James and Lily are dead. Harry is still alive, no idea how. He's got some scar on his forehead now, dunno what that all about.

Albus had shed a sad tear when he received the note, wondering how he had never figured it out. Sirius was their secret-keeper, and apparently, Sirius had been the traitor all long. How had he not picked up on the signs? Well, that was easy, there had been no signs.

How could he have let this happen? How could he, Albus Dumbledore, the most powerful wizard in all the world, have let James and Lily die? This never should have happened, and now he had to do one of the most difficult things of his life, writing a letter to Harry's only remaining family, Lily's muggle sister Petunia, and her husband Vernon.

Dear Petunia Dursley,

I am afraid that this letter is a bearer of bad news. Your sister, Lily Evans Potter, and her husband, James Potter, were murdered tonight by an evil wizard. Miraculously, their son Harry survived, but he is still in grave danger.

The only reason Harry was able to survive was because of the love that your sister had for him, a love that flows in your blood, and your blood alone. I implore that you please take Harry in and raise him as your own, your home is the ONLY place in the world that he will be safe. While under your care, no harm will be able to come to him.

Do not allow Harry the truth until you feel he is ready to handle it. Sometime before his eleventh birthday, he will receive a letter from the school that I am Headmaster of, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This is the same school that your sister attended, more detail will be given to you when the time for Harry to come to Hogwarts has arrived.

In return for Harry's safe-keeping, I will charm your residence with some of the most powerful protection spells known to wizard-kind, not only to repel from our own kind, but these spells will also protect you residence from ever being the target of theft, or vandalism. No man or woman with malicious intentions will ever be able to set foot in your house while these charms are intact.

The fate of the wizarding world lies in your hands, Petunia. I implore that you take Harry in and raise him as your own, so that in the future, he may make this world a safer place for all of us.

With Utmost Compassion and Sorrow,

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Sighing, the old man sadly placed the letter into an envelope, sealing it slowly. When the letter was finished, he took a long walk to Hogsmeade, wanting to collect his thoughts and piece together the evidences of what exactly had happened.

As he reached Hogsmeade some time later, he let out a long, sad sigh, still no closer to his goal of the truth than he had been an hour ago when he began to ponder upon it. With one swift look around the small wizarding village of Hogsmeade, he apparated to Pivet Drive, in Little Whining, Surrey.

*****

- Peter -

He had never been so terrified in all his life, at least not that he could remember. Peter had never thought of what implications the prophecy could have, of what could happen when Voldemort attacked the Potter's.

All the death eaters knew of the plan, they all knew that Peter was the one that had given the information that sent him there. And now they all knew that the dark lord had met his downfall.

Peter's dreams of power and, more importantly, acceptance, were vanquished as he realized that he no longer had a place in the world. He was a traitor to those of the light, although they did not know it.

To the death eaters, he was a traitor, because he had caused the dark lord's downfall. Somehow Snape was avoiding any and all criticism, even though it was he who had started this whole thing when he told Voldemort about the prophecy.

Peter didn't know what to do. By now, Sirius had no doubt found out the truth, and knew that he, Peter, had been the traitor all along. But he, Sirius, had no proof. In fact, when the evidence presented itself, it would be Sirius who looked the culprit.

Sirius wasn't stupid, Peter knew this. Black knew that he was going to take the blame for this, but he wasn't going to do it without a fight. Peter knew how fiercely loyal Sirius had been to James, how much the two loved each other.

Peter knew that Black was going to come after him, and then kill him.

But what Peter had was time, time to devise a plan, and time to cover his tracks. If he planned everything just right, he may just come out of this alive, which to him, was all that mattered in the end.

*****

- Petunia Dursley -

It was an early morning for Petunia Dursley on the day of November 2, 1982. She had not slept well the last two nights, and she had no idea why this was. But because she was up early, she decided that she may as well go downstairs and retrieve the milk cans, then begin making breakfast.

Slowly she rolled off of the bed that she shared with her husband of only a few months. Dudley had been quite the surprise to them both, but they had taken responsibility and married, just like they should have. Petunia was a very responsible person, unlike that…freak…her sister.

Throwing on a warm robe to keep the early morning chills from getting to her, Petunia left the room she shared with her husband, wincing at the creaks that the floor under her emitted, but thankfully her husband did not awake and she was able to make it the rest of the way in peace.

Petunia frowned at the untidiness of her living room, one of the pillows on her couch was off-center! She remedied that quickly, then tidied up the kitchen refrigerator ( a few magnets were slightly skewed, and there was a minor smudge spot in the corner) before heading to the front door so that she could retrieve the milk cans.

What she saw when she opened the front door to the house was not what she expected. "AHHH!" She screeched, seeing a baby boy sleeping peacefully on her stoop. There was a letter laying on top of him, and with trembling hands, Petunia picked it up, undid the seal, and read it slowly.

When she had finished it, she closed her eyes and let out a small sigh. One thing she had learned from her sister was to always follow her first instinct, no matter how much she didn't like it. Wondering if it was wise to follow the advice of a woman whose instincts had gotten her killed, she nevertheless picked up the baby basket and brought it inside along with the morning milk.

*****

- Remus Lupin -

He couldn't believe it. They were dead. He had come as soon as he heard the news, and was instantly in tears at the sight that lay before him. The Potters house, where he had endeavored in so many great memories, had fallen to the ground, dying with the tow people who had built it.

He didn't know how Sirius could have done this. Why would he have done this? Were he and James not the best of friends? Sirius had always been so loyal and faithful, it seemed impossible for him to be a traitor. But here was the evidence. Sirius was the only person who could have given away the Potters location, and their safety, as he was their secret keeper. He had told him himself!

Lupin now realized that he was alone. James and Lily were dead, Sirius was a traitor, Peter had fled, no doubt afraid that Sirius would come after him next. Let him come, Remus thought to himself. Let Sirius come and try to kill me, Merlin knows I'll be ready for him.

*****

- Alice Longbottom -

A few weeks had passed, and even now, the parties were still raging, celebrating the 'death' of the dark lord, even if Albus Dumbledore maintained that he was till very much alive, just weak, and near power-less.

Alice had shed many tears for her friends over the last few weeks. So many memories, such a tragic end. Why had Sirius done this? Never in a million years did she think Sirius would ever have been capable of betrayal, especially of James Potter.

Now she was at home in Godric's Hollow with her husband, Frank, for a day of peace and quiet, as Frank's mother had taken Neville for the day. They had taken the Fidelius off of their selves, seeing no need for it now that Voldemort was gone. Oh he wasn't dead - of that they were sure - but he was of no threat to anyone right now.

But that didn't hold true for his supporters.

Her and Frank were sitting silently in their living room together when it happened. The front door to their house was blown inward, the explosion so strong that it knocked Alice and Frank from their loveseat and to the floor, their wands being summoned away.

Into their house stepped Bellatrix Lestrange, Barty Crouch Jr., and two other death eaters that she did not recognize. Bellatrix sneered at them, Barty smiling at her side, flicking his long, straw-colored hair aside.

The two unrecognized death eaters were casting multiple sealing and silencing charms around the house. Frank and Alice were completely helpless. "What do you want death eater!?" Frank spat at the woman, wanting to get right down to business.

"Oh, Bella, looks like quite the feisty one, eh?" Said one of the death eaters that Alice didn't recognize.

Bellatrix smiled at him. Yes, Rodolphus, quite the feisty ones. Well, the more energetic they are, the louder they scream! Crucio!"

Alice watched on in horror as her husband was hit by the unforgivable curse, and his large body dropped to the ground, writhing in pain. "Stop it!" She screamed, unable to watch her husband in such agony.

"Only if you tell us what we want to know, Longbottom," Barty Crouch Jr. broke in, raising his wand at her. "Or will we have to do the same to you?"

"I'm not telling you anything!" She screamed, tears already flowing.

"Oh really? What I pity. Bella, take the curse off of him, let's have some fun." Crouch turned his maniacal gaze on Alice just as Frank was released from the curse. Frank shakily rose to his feet, and the moment he looked over at Alice…

"Crucio!" A thousand knives felt as if they had been simultaneously stabbed into her body, and then it felt as if a bag of salt was tossed over her open wounds. She had felt the pain before, but never when she was so helpless. She was screaming, of that she knew, and no doubt they were interrogating her husband as she writhed on the floor.

Suddenly, the pain was gone, and only the ache remained. Her scream was replaced with that of her husband's, who was now under the Bellatrix's Cruciatus Curse. Barty Crouch kicked her solidly in the jaw, sending her sprawling backwards. "Now tell us what the prophecy entailed! Or face more pain than you ever can imagine!"

"Over my dead body!" She spat, despite the scream of pain in her throat that her screeches of pain had caused.

Barty sighed, raising his wand. "Very well then. Crucio!"

Once again Alice felt as if she was on fire, burning alive while being stabbed to death, the pain was so great. This time the pain lasted much, much longer, she was not released of her pain until the sun was no longer gracing the sky with it's presence, but rather had been replaced with the black of night and an ominous storm front.

It took her a moment, but she was finally able to get enough strength to open her eyes and look at Frank, who had passed out from pain. "Ready to tell us the prophecy now?" Barty sneered, yawning as he watched Bellatrix kick Frank in the gut.

Prophecy? Alice thought. What? Oh - that prophecy! "NEVER!" She screamed, blood rising up and out of her throat as she did so.

"Foolish woman," Crouch spat, obviously angered at the woman's resistance. "Crucio!"

Alice felt as if the pain would ever stop, it hurt so much that it got to the point where it didn't hurt at all, but it was rather just a normal feeling. When the curse was taken off of her, the sun had risen yet again, the outside grass wet from the storms the night before.

But Alice knew none of this. What? Who are these people? Where am I? Who? What? WHAT'S GOING ON!

"Ready to talk yet, woman!" Barty spat over the screams and moans of Frank Longbottom, whom Bellatrix was torturing only a few feet away.

"W-hat? Who - who are you?" Alice responded, wondering what the man wanted, and why he seemed to be so angry.

"ARRGGHHH!" He screamed, picking up a plate and hurling it across the room. He turned to Bellatrix, though Alice had no idea who she was. Had she ever seen these people before?

"It's no use Bella," Crouch said in dejection, hanging his head. "She's gone too, we held them under the curse for to long. Bloody, it's been three days! They've both lost their minds!"

Bellatrix, defeated, nodded, but not without an evil smirk. "Well, let us leave them then. Some fates are worse than death,"

Alice didn't understand what was being said, and was utterly astonished when the four black-robed occupants of the room simply vanished into thin air, making loud popping noises.

But minutes later she had already forgotten about them, and, deciding that she was tired, closed her eyes and fell asleep.

Her and Frank never truly awoke ever again.

*****

- Sirius -

It had taken him two weeks, but he had done it. Sirius followed the leads, followed the rat's tail, and finally, he had found him. Sirius could see him now, only a few meters down the road, a few more steps and he would have him cornered.

He waited until an opportunity presented itself, and then, not caring that he was in a muggle city with many muggles watching, pulled out his wand and came up to the traitor from behind.

"Hello Peter."

*****

- Peter -

"Hello Peter."

Pettigrew stopped, paralyzed with fear. Or at least, putting on the show of being scared. He knew that Sirius would find him, and he also knew that Sirius had been following for quite some time now.

Working up all the cunning he could muster, he spun around to face the handsome face of his once best friend.

"How could you Sirius!" He screamed, making sure all the muggles in the area could hear him, which they did.

Sirius, so startled by the outburst, said nothing. "How could you betray Lily and James like that? I thought you were their friend! And you got them killed! Well now I am going to avenge them!"

*****

- Sirius -

Sirius couldn't believe what was happening. What was Peter doing? Suddenly, Peter winced in pain, and Sirius noticed his wand moving behind his back. Quickly he swung his wand upward, ready to scream a spell.

"MAXIMUS REDUCTO!"

*****

- Peter -

Peter screamed the explosion spell before Sirius could react, and took the time the distraction had given him to transform into a rat and crawl straight through the hole he had created, making his escape. He smiled inwardly.

The whole street had seen Sirius raise his wand, and in the confusion of the moment, there was no way anyone could have been able to tell who had actually spoken the spell. But to the onlookers, they saw him make and accusation, Sirius raise his wand, and then the street explode, all in perfect order. It would appear to anyone that Sirius had been the one who cast the spell.

He had escaped.

*****

- Sirius -

He stood, unbelievingly, at the spot where Peter had once been, now nothing but a crater with a finger inside of it. He surveyed his surroundings, and noticing the looks he was on the receiving end of, knew he was doomed.

Peter, there worst wizard in their class, had just gotten the better of him. Peter had set him up perfectly, and played out the scene to make Sirius look the traitor, and the killer.

There was nothing he could do about it, except to wait for the hit-wizards to come and pick him up.

The irony of it struck him like nothing else, and he laughed.

Sirius Black spent the next ten minutes before he was shackled up and taken to Azkaban laughing, a cruel, deep laugh that haunted all those who had heard it.

Sirius knew that he was probably going to spend the rest of his life in Azkaban, but he didn't care. On the off-chance that he may get out, one quota stayed with him.

Irony is sweet, but payback's a bitch.

*****

A/N: Okay, so that about wraps up the L/J era, the next chapter is going to start with Sirius in Azkakban, before he has spoken with Fudge and received the Daily Prophet article where he sees Peter.

I really hope you like this fic, cuz I'm lovin' writin' it!

Cheers!