Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Cruelty of Fate by SoraSummers
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Cruelty of Fate

SoraSummers

A/N: Here you go finally! This will cover everything from the bogart to the flight of the fat lady, leaving you with a nice little cliffy. R/R! Oh! And obviously, I don't own many of the convos in this chapter, you know the ones. They belong to JKR, I just did them in Remus' POV.

*****

Chapter Eight

- Peter -

Peter had a lot of things on his plate now. First there was Sirius, who had now escaped from Azkaban and was on his way to Hogwarts. Most of the wizarding world thought that he was after Harry, but only Peter knew the truth. Sirius was coming after him.

He had no idea how Sirius had figured it out, but that was the only solution in Peter's eyes. And Sirius rarely failed in his conquests. He had failed in killing Peter once, he would not fail again. This thought sent shivers down his spine every time he thought about it.

His other problem was that maniacal cat of Ron's friend Hermione Granger. It wouldn't leave him alone! Every time they were within the same vicinity, the damned cat tried to kill him. He had no idea why, but it was the truth.

Things were looking very bad for Peter Pettigrew.

- Lupin -

"Good afternoon," Remus addressed the class with a smile. "Would you please put all your books back in your bags. Today's will be a practical lesson. You will need only your wands."

Remus had to suppress a smile at the response that he got for this, apparently the students hadn't ever had a practical lesson before. He hadn't been as nervous for the other classes as he was for this one, but then again the other classes hadn't had the son of his deceased best friend in them either.

When everyone had finished putting their things away, he spoke up again. "Right then," He was amused to see how many heads snapped to attention at his voice. "If you'd follow me."

He lead them through the hallways and down to the staff room, impressing Dean Thomas along the way after he shot a wad of gum up the school poltergeist Peeves nostril. Professor Snape was residing in the staff room when they entered, quite an unpleasant surprise for Remus, who still hated Snivellus with a passion, and hated even more that he had to pretend to be civil with him.

Remus was reluctantly about to shut the door when Snivellus spoke, "Leave it open, Lupin. I'd rather not witness this."

Thank Merlin for that, Remus thought to himself, happy that he would not have to deal with the greasy git for the next hour.

Snape strode across the classroom, his black robes billowing behind him, but just before Remus thought he'd be rid of the man for the rest of the class period, he spun around to address Remus once more. "Possibly no one's warned you, Lupin, but this class contains Neville Longbottom. I would advise you not to entrust him with anything difficult. Not unless Miss Granger is hissing instructions in his ear."

Remus was silent for a moment, raising his eyebrows at Snape, only the two of them knowing that the gesture was one of hatred. How dare he pass judgment on Neville like that! After all that kid's been through…of course, that's probably the smarmy git's intention anyways.

"I was hoping that Neville would assist me with the first stage of the operation," Lupin responded coolly, trying not to let his hatred of the man show too much. "and I'm sure he will perform it admirably." Just as his parents would have, Snivellus. He added as an afterthought in his head. Remus took satisfaction in seeing Snape curl his lip in a sneer, making his already ugly face even more difficult to look at, and leave the classroom without another word.

"Now then," Lupin said, returning the class' attention onto him. They obeyed wonderfully, and Remus began his speech on boggarts, having his questions answered by Hermione, who no doubt knew everything there was to know about everything, and he forced an answer upon Harry, so that he could use it as an excuse to not allow Harry to go against the boggart. He most certainly did not want to set Lord Voldemort on a class of third years.

So after a long period of screams and laughs - Remus almost died when he saw Snape in a dress, but thankfully none of the students took notice - the period finally ended. Remus noted that it didn't seem that anyone had realized that his greatest fear had been a full moon - no one except for that Hermione Granger. He had seen her brows scrunch together in thought at the sight of it, but he doubted that she had discovered anything…yet.

- Peter -

Peter currently sat curled up at the bottom of Ron Weasley's bed, shivering in fear. What was with that cat? He thought, as the previous day's events flashed in front of him. That mad cat had tried to kill him again! and how had it known where he was? And why did it want him dead?

Peter was scared at the only conclusion that he could come to - Sirius had befriended that cat. And now he had recruited it to catch Peter for him. Life had become a living hell for Peter, and it showed no signs of letting up.

- Lupin -

Lupin was leaning against the wall of his office, taking a casual glance out the door when he saw a certain emerald-eyed third year walk by, looking very downtrodden. "Harry?" He said, hoping to catch the young man's attention.

Remus still had not told Harry about how he knew James, as did Sirius and Peter Pettigrew. He hadn't seen the point in it, not yet. From what he had collected about Harry, learning that his father's best friend had betrayed him would crush the poor boy.

When Harry spun around and peered into his office, Remus spoke again. "What are you doing?" He asked sympathetically. "Where are Ron and Hermione?"

"Hogsmeade," The young wizard responded, trying and failing to sound casual.

"Ah," Remus responded, now understanding Harry's foul mood. "Why don't you come in? I've just taken delivery of a grindylow for our next lesson."

"A what?" Harry questioned, interested, as he followed Lupin into his office.

"Water demon," Remus answered, looking at the ugly green creature in the large tank of water situated in the corner of the room. "We shouldn't have much difficulty with him, not after the kappas. The trick is to break his grip. You notice the abnormally long fingers? Strong, but very brittle."

The creature showed it's long, spiky teeth to the duo before darting behind a clump of weeds in the center of the tank.

"Cup of tea?" He questioned the young man, hoping that he would accept and he could get his first true impression of James' boy. "I was just thinking of making one." He added as a cover. No need to allow Harry to figure out that he was - in a sense - interrogating him.

"All right," Harry responded, sounding indifferent. Lupin suppressed a smile. The boy had no idea what this was going to be about, but he didn't want to defy a professor, and he also didn't want to continue moping around the castle in solitude, so apparently having a cup of tea with his professor was the only option left to him.

Remus tapped the tea kettle with his wand, heating it up for them to drink. "Sit down," He said, pulling the lid off the kettle. "I've only got teabags, I'm afraid - but I daresay you've had enough of tea leaves?" He finished with a slightly lighter tone, hoping to lighten the mood a little.

"How did you know about that?" Harry asked.

"Professor McGonogall told me," Lupin responded, passing a mug of tea to Harry. "You're not worried, are you?" He asked, hoping to get his first look into how alike Harry was to James. James had hated Divination with a passion, but had not asked questions about Harry's prophecy, he knew better than to question Dumbledore. But as far as school Divination Professors went, James would have laughed in their face and then stuck a filibuster in their morning tea the next day.

"No," Was the short response he got from Harry. That didn't really tell him much, but at least he didn't believe in the stupid tea leave prophecies - what a joke. But Lupin quickly became alarmed by the look on Harry's face, as if something was troubling him.

"Anything worrying you, Harry?"

"No," Harry replied, and by the look on his face, Remus knew that he was lying, he had seen the same look on James' face a thousand times before when he was confronted by his professors. "Yes," Harry amended quickly, startling Lupin and setting his tea back down on the desk. "You know that day we fought the bogart?"

"Yes," Lupin responded slowly, not knowing where this conversation was headed.

"Why didn't you let me fight it?" Harry asked, surprising Lupin..

Remus raised his eyebrows. "I would have thought that was obvious, Harry."

Harry looked shocked that Remus had even answered the question at all, but was obviously no closer to the answer when he asked again, "Why?"

"Well," Remus said with a frown. At least I know he doesn't have the quick wit and intelligence that Lily had. "I assumed that if the boggart faced you, it would assume the shape of Lord Voldemort."

Harry gaped at him, making Lupin frown even further. Did he inherit any of Lily's traits, aside for the eyes? "Clearly, I was wrong," Remus continued, still frowning. What's he so surprised about? "But I didn't think it a good idea for Lord Voldemort to materialize in the staff room. I imagined that people would panic."

"I didn't think of Voldemort," Harry said with sincerity. "I-I remembered those dementors."

"I see," Remus responded, now deep in thought. "Well, well, I'm impressed." He smiled slightly at the look of astonishment that crossed Harry's face. Yup, he's James boy alright. "That suggests that what you fear most of all is - fear. Very wise, Harry."

"So you've been thinking that I didn't believe you capable of fighting the boggart?" Remus asked, finally understanding Harry's mood towards the boggart lesson.

"Well…yeah," Harry said, sounding much happier than he had been before. "Professor Lupin, you know the dementors-"

What Remus knew about the dementors though, he never found out, because just then someone knocked on the door. "Come in," Remus called, and Snivellus came through the door with a steaming potion in hand, his eyes narrowing at the carbon-copy of James at age 13, except more mature, of course. Once again genuinely trying to be civil with Severus, he spoke, "Ah, Severus," He smiled, realizing that the potion was his wolfs bane. "Thanks very much. Could you leave it here on the desk for me?"

Snape complied and set down the goblet, his eyes wandering from Harry to Lupin, obviously in confusion over what was being discussed. Probably hoping that I'm not telling Harry about the pranks we pulled on him back when we were all at Hogwarts. "I was just showing Harry my grindylow," He said, smiling pleasantly.

"Fascinating," Severus replied, in that all-to-annoying drawl of his, never even bothering to take a peek at the tank. "You should drink that directly, Lupin."

"Yes, yes I will," Remus said, hoping that Snape would leave now.

"I made an entire cauldron," Snape continued. "If you need more."

Remus knew full well what Severus was trying to do now, reading the glint in his eyes. He was trying to get Harry to figure out his werewolf status. Well, the time had not yet come for that, so Remus decided to end the conversation there.

"I should probably take some again tomorrow. Thanks very much, Severus."

"Not at all," Were the last words Snape spoke before retreating from the room.

Remus smiled when Harry looked at the goblet in curiosity. "Professor Snape has very kindly concocted a potion for me," Remus said, omitting the fact that Dumbledore had to almost threaten him to get Severus to make the potion in the first place. "I have never been much of a potion-brewer and this one is particularly complex." He sniffed in the sickening stench of the potion as he picked it up. "Pity sugar makes it useless."

"Why-"

Remus answered the question before Harry could ask it. "I've been feeling a bit off-color," He said truthfully. "This potion is the only thing that helps. I am very lucky to be working alongside Professor Snape; there aren't many wizards up to making it."

"Professor Snape's very interested in the dark arts," Harry said suddenly, looking like he was ready to tackle Lupin's goblet to the ground as he sipped from it.

"Really?" Remus said, trying not to sound like he already knew this very well.

"Some people reckon-" Harry paused for a moment. "some people reckon he'd do anything to get the Defense Against the Dark Arts job."

Remus finished the goblet to cover his smile. Harry hardly knew him at all, and he was already protecting him. He screwed up his face as he pulled the goblet down to rid himself of his smile. "Disgusting," He commented. "Well, Harry, I better get back to work. I'll see you at the feast later."

"Right," Harry said, and putting down his teacup, nodded and left without another word, the goblet still smoking.

Remus chuckled lightly as the door creaked to a close. He is definitely James' son.

- Sirius -

It was now late at night on October the Thirty First. It was not lost on Sirius that it was twelve years ago this night that James and Lily were killed, and Voldemort temporarily defeated. How fitting that he would kill Peter on this very night; an anniversary present, of sorts.

Sirius knew that by now, every student and professor in the school was gathered in the Great Hall, filling their stomachs with some of the best food in all of Britain. It saddened him that he was not going to get any of that great food, but it provided him with a great chance to attack Peter, as he would be unprotected in the boys dormitories in Gryffindor Tower.

Sirius quickly transformed into a large, black dog and bounded out of the whomping willow, then slowing down his pace, trotted to the entry hall, where he was able to slip by the dementors without a problem.

He felt a bit nostalgic as he wandered his way to Gryffindor Tower, taking many short-cuts along the way, slightly put-out that it was obvious no one had used them since the marauders themselves.

After nearly a half hour of wandering, Sirius arrived at the portrait hole, the same fat lady portrait there now as had been when he went to school at Hogwarts, nearly twenty years ago…

Taking a swift look around to make sure no one was there, Sirius assumed his natural form and slowly walked up to the fat lady.

"Please let me in," Sirius asked her pleasantly.

"Password?"

"Damn!" Sirius spat, cursing the portrait. "Don't you recognize me? I am Sirius Black, I was in Gryffindor House quite a few years ago. Can't you just let me in?" He knew he was losing his temper, and fast, but he couldn't help it. This close to Peter, only to be denied by a damned painting?

"I cannot allow you access unless you give me the password."

Sirius clenched his hands in an effort to keep his calm. "There is something very important in that tower, something that only I know the importance of. It is imperative that you open - this - ruddy - portrait hole!" He was nearly screaming at the end, but was just able to hold his temper.

"Once again, I will not allow you inside without the password, so unless you have some kind of power to get past me without a password, than I suggest you leave, or I will be forced to summon the password."

Sirius gave the fat lady a sickening smile. "You're right - I do have means of getting past you - a pocketknife!" His temper finally broken, Sirius whipped out his trusty pocketknife and slashed at the portrait, seemingly trying to cut straight through it and into the common room.

The fat lady gave a loud screech and fled the portrait, which Sirius cut to shreds until he could no longer lift his arm. When he was finished, he leaned against the portrait, panting. He closed his eyes, forcing back the tears that were threatening to form from his failure, when he heard a loud cackling noise from up above.

"Ooh…wee ickle Sirius Blackikens have a wittle tantrum?"

"Peeves." Sirius muttered, not even bothering to look up. Giving the poltergeist a one-finger salute as he walked by, Sirius disappeared into one of the many hidden passageways in the castle and began to try and devise a new way into the Gryffindor Tower.

- Lupin -

He was running down the hallways, towards whatever the ruckus in the Gryffindor Tower was, wondering what the problem was. He was slightly surprised at the sight of every Gryffindor student standing outside the portrait hole, peering at the spectacle that had been the fat lady, but was now an empty portrait that had been slashed to shreds.

Sirius.

But why? Remus thought with a frown, not understanding Sirius' motives. He knew that all the students would be at the feast, so why would he try and attack now? Maybe he wanted to hide and surprise Harry when he came in?

Quickly scanning the crowd, Remus instantly spotted the boy in question, the muggleborn Hermione Granger clutching his arm as if it would be the last time she ever saw him.

"We need to find her," Dumbledore addressed the professors, apparently he had arrived on the scene before the rest of the teachers had. "Professor McGonogall, please go to Mr. Filch at once and tell him to search every painting in the castle for the fat lady."

"You'll be lucky!" Cackled a voice that Remus knew all to well to belong to Peeves, the school's extremely annoying poltergeist.

"What do you mean, Peeves?" Dumbledore asked him, in a very calm and collected voice. Remus had always marveled at how Dumbledore was able to stay calm in a time of crisis, but he supposed he could have never defeated Grindelwald if he couldn't.

"Ashamed, your Headship, sir. Doesn't want to be seen. She's a horrible mess. Saw her running through the landscape up on the fourth floor, sir, crying something dreadful," His voice was sounding quite amused. "Poor thing." Remus doubted that anyone in the corridor actually believed for a moment that Peeves felt sorry for the fat lady at all.

"Did she say who did it?" Dumbledore asked quietly, knowing full well what the answer would be.

"Oh yes, Professorhead," Peeves said mysteriously. "He got very angry when she wouldn't let him in, you see." The poltergeist flipped over and grinned at them. "Nasty temper he's got, that Sirius Black."

The corridor, which had been bustling with activity and sound, was suddenly deadly quiet. "Very well, thank you Peeves." Dumbledore said calmly, breaking the tension. "All Gryffindors, please make your way to the Great Hall, where you will be sleeping tonight. Percy, do lead the way please."

Percy nodded and stuck out his chest as if he had just been assigned with the most important task in all the world, then barked orders and led all of the students out of the corridor and to the great hall.

Dumbledore in turn began to give out orders of his own. "Minerva, please alert the other Heads of House to the situation, and move all students to the Great Hall. Severus, please find Mr. Filch, and begin a thorough search of the castle. Remus," His eyes twinkled as they fell on the Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor. "Please conduct your own search, in your own way, if you please."

No questions were asked, and the teachers split up immediately to do their jobs. Severus tore down one passageway, looking for Filch, while McGonogall went down another, presumably to Flitwick's office. Remus, on the other hand, swept across the corridor to a portrait of an ugly midget dancing around a roaring flame.

"Rumplestiltskin."

The short one stopped running around the fire and turned to face Remus. It considered him for a moment, then nodded. The portrait swung open, to reveal the cold stone wall behind it.

Taking a deep breath, Remus dove head first into - and through the illusionary wall, landing on his stomach on the other side. He smiled as he stood, looking around. Good memories. His smile broadened when he saw that the lamps had been lit.

Sirius was here.

But how long ago? Well he would find out, but Sirius knew these tunnels better than he ever had, so the likelihood of that was about equal to Remus becoming Minister of Magic. Nil.

But he had to try.

- Sirius -

Sirius panted as he sped around yet another corner. He knew Remus wasn't far behind him. He mentally chastised himself for this. If he wasn't so intent on beating himself up for moping around after not being granted entrance to Gryffindor Tower, he would have realized that he could have put an end to all of this nonsense tonight.

Remus had been one of his very best friends for eight years. Surely he would have not killed Sirius right away, and he would have been able to tell him his story. They could have gotten Peter that night, but Sirius was to fatigued to think well, he had also missed one of his turns.

So he and Remus had a long goose chase through the hidden passageways of Hogwarts that night.

*****

A/N: Okay, that's the last update for a while, cuz I'm going on vacation. Hit me up with a review if you can! I love 'em! (And as I've said before, they're good for the ego, lol)

Cheers!