Unofficial Portkey Archive

Night before the final battle by heaven85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Night before the final battle

heaven85

A/N: Sorry for taking so long at first I had writers block and then I was incredibly busy with school and

work. Sorry if there are grammar mistakes and all but my beta's been really busy and I don't know how

long it'll be before she has time to do it so I decided to post it up right now but if I do get it back I'll post

this back up with the corrections if necessary. Thanks for sticking in there and please review!!!

Part 3

Harry had woken up in the middle of the night and smiled at the sight of the beautiful girl laying

next to him. He closed his eyes for a second to gather up his thoughts. He was still contemplating whether

or not he should do what he knows he must do. In the end he realized he really had no choice. He turned and watched Hermione carefully to make sure she really was still asleep. Then he carefully got off the bed carefully being careful not to make any sound. He quickly grabbed some parchment and scribbled down a quick note for her. As he walked out the door he saw Dumbledore outside.

Harry closed to door and Dumbledore asked him , "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"I'm positive." Harry nodded.

"You do know that what you are about to do is a very advanced protection spell and that once she wakes up she will be furious with you?" Dumbledore asked.

"I do know that but I can't risk putting her in danger. The fact that it is a very advance protection spell is why I wanted you here to watch me do it." Harry replied.

"If you're sure then let's proceed." Dumbledore answered.

Harry then closed his eyes to focus on the incantation that Dumbledore had showed him being very cautious of the fact that it was very important to do it correctly.

"Now Harry, it's really important that you concentrate really hard on what exactly you want to protect Hermione from and how much you want to protect her. The strength of the spell comes from whomever casts it." Dumbledore advised him.

Harry then pictured in his mind Hermione's face, her smile, and everything he loved about her and how desperately he wanted to keep her safe and away from harm and Voldemort. He then opened his eyes and concentrated on that thought and held up his wand and spoke the incantation " Candium mos incantardo proteccio" and he felt this light of power come from within him and it formed a invisible barrier behind the door and saw it float inside her room.

Harry knew from his research on the spell that it would form a protection or barrier around Hermione. He then put it wand back inside his robe and asked, "Is there a way to break through this barrier?"

"As I have told you before that it is a very powerful and ancient spell that you have just cast and it can not be broken easily so she should be safe in that regard but there is one way that it can be broken." Dumbledore answered.

"How?" Harry asked.

"By Hermione herself. If Hermione really wanted to break through the barrier she could. As long as you want to protect her, the spell will be in place but it won't keep her from walking out this door. It won't be easy to break it but she will be able to and I'm sure you know why." Dumbledore spoke.

"If she loved me enough." Harry answered.

"Love is an important part of the spell that you just cast." Dumbledore added.

"Well I know that Hermione's smart but I'm pretty sure that it will hold her for a long enough for me to do what I have to." Harry replied gravelly.

"Are you ready for this Harry?" Dumbledore asked seriously.

"As ready as I'll ever be. It'll be all over one way or another." Harry replied seriously.

"Harry I want you to know that I am very proud of how much you have accomplished and how you have survived everything that you have been through to become the great man that you are today is very miraculous indeed." Dumbledore told him quietly.

Harry smiled slightly as it gave him pleasure to hear these words coming from a man whom he admired and respected and thought of as his mentor, friend and family. He then walked away to try to find Ron and try to see if he had cooled down enough to listen to him explain.

Harry walked down the dorm room that Ron stayed in. Harry opened the door quietly so he wouldn't wake up the others and noticed that Ron wasn't there.

Not seeing Ron there worried him just a little because when Ron was mad he usually walked and stomped around a lot which made him somewhat hungry so he decided to see if he could find him around the kitchen eating. So Harry decided to walk to the kitchen to see if he could find him there but when he got there he was no where to be found.

This made Harry really nervous as a horrible thought entered his head, ` What if Voldemort took him or set a trap for him and he fell for it?'

`No, Ron wouldn't fall for anything like that. The only thing would be that he was captured but please let me be wrong.' Harry thought desperately.

Harry looked at his watch and realized that it was time to go. Time to meet him and he truly hoped that he had trained well and hard enough to defeat him and protect all those around him and those people that he cared about.

As Harry started to walk over to where he would meet his fate, the prophecy kept on popping up in his head and he couldn't help thinking that `the one that might not survive' could be him. He tried to banish that thought from his head.

Harry gave himself a quick pep talk as he walked towards the woods, as he knew that having confidence in himself would be really important in being able to defeat Voldemort.

When he got there, he saw a figure walking in the shadows and Harry braced himself for seeing some Death Eaters. Although it was supposed to be one on one, he knew he couldn't really trust Voldemort's words since he was evil.

However what he saw there was no way to be prepared for. He saw Ron but not really Ron. He looked like Ron but something about him was different.

*~*~*~*~

Hermione woke up from a nice comfortable dream with a huge smile on her face. Despite what happened with Ron, she thought last night was perfect. She was perfectly happy about admitting her feelings to Harry and vice versa. At first she had been a little scared but now she was sure that she did the right thing.

Hermione turned and saw that Harry had left and got up and stretched and yawned. She figured that Harry must have gone back to his room because they didn't want to get caught. She walked down to the desk and there found a note in Harry's familiar scrawl. She read it, `Didn't want to wake you up, you look so peaceful sleeping there. I love you more than I could possibly imagine loving someone. Don't forget that. Harry.'

Hermione put it down with a smile while shaking her head. There was on way that she could ever forget that he loved her because that was exactly the same way she felt about him. Why would he need to tell her that? She went into her bathroom to take a quick shower and brush her teeth before heading over to see Harry before he went to meet him. She still felt really scared and nervous for him and she wanted to do everything she could do to help him. She had spent most of the past year reading up on skills and spells that she thought would help Harry defeat Voldemort.

She still shudders at the mention of his name but saying his name gave her more of a sense of accomplishment and was a strange victory in itself. But she knew that wouldn't help Harry face him and truly hoped that Harry was powerful enough to defeat him. She knew that this was a difficult question to answer and the outcome was one that nobody could really predict. She felt tears come to her eyes but she shook them off. She knew that she would have to be strong so that she could show him that he didn't need to worry about her.

She walked to the door to open it but strangely found to be stuck. She tried to pull harder but that didn't work. Then she took out her wand and said, `Alohomora'. That still didn't work so she tried some other spells but those also didn't work.

`What was going on?' Hermione wondered with fright.

`Stay calm.' Hermione told herself. `There has to be a logical explanation for this after all Hogwarts was one of the safest places to be in.' She took a deep breath and tried the door again. The door was locked but something was blocking it from opening. She went back to her desk to look at some of the numerous books in her bookcase to see if she could find a spell that would be able to unblock the door.

As she quickly flipped through some of her books her eyes fell onto Harry's note once again. As she read it once more, the thought that had been bugging her came back and she couldn't shake the feeling that she was missing something in that note that could be somehow connected to the situation at hand.

`Don't forget that' the note had read. There was something strange about that comment but she couldn't really put her finger on it. Then it suddenly hit her `Maybe Harry locked you in.'

That thought somehow came as a relief to her because then it would mean that it wasn't Voldemort but she couldn't believe why Harry would lock her in here. `He wouldn't' She thought but a nagging voice said, "He would to protect you and make sure you were safe."

She went to her door and began hitting hard while crying, "Harry, let me out of here. You can't keep me here. You have to let me help you. How dare you make my decisions for me? Harry if you don't let me out right now, I'll hate you forever."

There was no response as she continued to hit the door. She slumped down on the floor as she continued to tap on the door both with tears in her eyes as well as feelings of anger towards what Harry had done.

"There's no use Miss Granger. Mr. Potter has already left" a familiar voice responded outside the door.

"Professor Dumbledore." Hermione exclaimed.

"Yes Miss Granger." Dumbledore responded.

"Can you do anything about this? What kind of spell did Harry put on here?" Hermione asked.

"There's nothing I can do about this and Harry used a pretty powerful ancient protect spell that is not easily broken." Dumbledore answered.

"Then nothing can be done about it?" Hermione asked.

"The spell can be broken but only by you alone." Dumbledore answered.

"But how?" Hermione asked.

"You'll know. There is something else I think you should know" Dumbledore responded.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"There was another prophecy made regarding tonight's situation." Dumbledore added.

"There was?" Hermione asked surprised.

"Yes there was and I think you should hear this." Dumbledore answered.

"Okay." Hermione stood waiting….

*~*~*~*~*~

"Hello Harry." Ron replied with a slight hint of a sneer.

"Ron. What are you doing here?" Harry asked both shocked and somewhat a little scared.

"I came here to see you." Ron replied with a grin.

Harry just looked at him and thought, ` This is pretty strange. It looks and sounds like Ron but there was definitely something wrong with him.'

"Did they do anything to you?" Harry asked.

"Of course not. Who are you talking about?" Ron asked.

"You know who? The death eaters and Voldemort." Harry replied quickly.

"They wouldn't do anything to me. They're not really that bad Harry." Ron answered with an evil grin.

"Ron, whatever they said to you, don't believe a word they say. Look what they did to Hermione." Harry replied.

"Oh that was just a misunderstanding unlike what you did to me." Ron said with a lot of anger.

"What on earth did they say to you? They almost killed her." Harry protested.

"It was because of you though. It's always because of you." Ron spat out.

"Okay maybe it had to do with me but I didn't want it to happen to her." Harry answered.

"You never want anybody to get hurt but they do. Not only did you almost get Hermione killed but you also stole her away from me and stabbed me in the back. You stabbed one of your best friends in the back." Ron added.

"We never planned any of it. The last thing that we wanted to do was hurt you. You have to believe me." Harry said cautiously.

"You know what. I don't need to hear you say anything else. Just because you're famous and all that you think that you can just take whatever you want no matter who gets hurt in the process." Ron shouted and pulled out his wand.

"Calm down now." Harry responded.

"I don't have to listen to you anymore. In fact I just figured it out. If you weren't around, the world would have been a better place." Ron answered with an evil grin.

"I know you don't mean that." Harry said feeling the sting of those words from one of his best friends.

"I assure you I do. I know exactly what I'm saying." Ron replied and pointed his wand at Harry and continued, "Put your wand up now and now let's get going."

"I don't want to hurt you Ron." Harry responded staring straight at him.

"You already did. Now it's payback." Ron responded and turned his head into the shadows.

Harry took this moment and knocked the wand out of Ron's hand.

"Bravo Harry." A familiar evil voice spoke.

Harry turned and saw the cloaked figure walking out of the shadows and he had a sinking feeling about who he was and he was right. It was Voldemort. Then he saw something much worse he saw Ron bowing down to him.

"What have they done to him?" Harry thought desperately.

-->