Unofficial Portkey Archive

Their Little Secret by Bingblot
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Their Little Secret

Bingblot

Disclaimer: See Prologue

Author's Note: Apologies for the time it took to post this chapter. Enjoy!

Part 2: Between Friends

Harry apparated into his empty flat with a pop. He hung up his cloak, sighing as he did so.

He was tired after three days away, tired and dispirited and wondering what on earth had possessed him to agree to this job as special agent of the Ministry. He wasn't officially an Auror, a blessing in that he didn't need to deal with the bureaucratic nonsense that tended to bog the Aurors down. He worked with the Aurors frequently but he answered to the Minister for Magic alone. His basic job description consisted of going to investigate reports of Dark activity anywhere in the United Kingdom and then, if possible, putting an end to it. He liked the freedom and he knew too that he was good at it. He didn't have the patience to sit behind a desk all day and Defense Against the Dark Arts was one of the few things, besides Quidditch, which he knew very well. He disliked knowing that having the defeat of Lord Voldemort on his resume was the cause of his current position but had resigned himself to it. The problem was that every one of these investigations into Dark activity, whether they turned out to be real or imagined, was upsetting and brought back memories of the Voldemort years, memories he'd much rather forget. These were always the times when he wished he'd gone into professional Quidditch instead.

He closed his eyes wearily, as he threw himself into a chair. He wondered if it was too late to Floo Hermione, too late to see her. He had missed her, missed seeing her, missed kissing her, missed touching her… Beyond that, she was the first person he always wanted to talk to when his work got to him. She would understand and she would comfort him…

His tired thoughts were interrupted when he heard the tell-tale popping noise of Apparition behind him and then Ron's voice.

"Hello, Harry."

He managed a grin and waved Ron into a seat across from him. "Hi. You've got good timing; I just got back home."

"I know," Ron said simply. He didn't add that he'd been coming by the flat every night for the past three days to see if Harry had come home.

Ron studied Harry for a minute, seeing the tired shadows under his eyes. Unlike Hermione, he didn't comment on them, only asked casually, "Where have you been?"

A half-smile crossed Harry's face. "The Isle of Man, of all places. There were some reports of suspicious activities there."

Ron nodded. "Did it turn out to be real?"

"Unfortunately, yes. Nothing major, really, mainly some bullies pretending to be evil over-lords." He shrugged. "They'll spend some time in custody, see what that does."

"Mm hmm," Ron responded somewhat absently, wondering how he was going to bring up his reason for coming, finally deciding to simply show him the newspaper.

He pulled the Witch Weekly from four days ago out of his robe pocket and handed it to Harry. "You should look at that."

Harry took it, a muscle beginning to work in his cheek as he scanned the article and glanced at the pictures. Damn the media and their insinuations! Asking why he'd kept his private affairs private while demonstrating the very sensationalism and constant need to try to vilify him in some way that was the main reason he tried to avoid media attention to his private life.

His annoyance at the press was fleeting, overtaken by the realization that everyone else he knew, especially Ron, now knew they'd been hiding this from them. Dismay at the thought was quickly followed by concern for Hermione. Merlin only knew what kind of intrusiveness she'd had to endure these past days since he'd been unreachable.

"How's Hermione?" Harry looked up and met Ron's eyes, an apology in his gaze, even as his concern for Hermione over-rode everything else.

"She's been coping," Ron started, before admitting, "She's had a hard time of it though, with reporters at her doorstep every day."

Harry winced at the thought. "I'll have to go see her," he said quietly, before meeting Ron's eyes squarely. "Sorry I didn't tell you. Are you angry at us?"

He waited tensely, until Ron answered, "No," and Harry relaxed slightly.

"We talked already, Hermione and me, and she explained it and I understand. Merlin knows I know just how much you hate the press getting involved in your life," Ron continued, smiling a little. He sobered. "There's just one thing I want to know." He met Harry's questioning gaze. "You know I need to ask, just to make sure." Ron paused for a moment, studying the floor between his feet before looking up again. "Do you love her?" His tone was quiet, rather belying the stark directness of the question.

"I…" Harry swallowed and looked away, his eyes going to a picture of Hermione on the mantelpiece. His throat worked for a moment as he stared at her picture, that smiled and blew him a kiss.

He hadn't allowed himself to think of the word, 'love', to describe his feelings for Hermione. It seemed such a final word, the last step in completely committing his heart and soul to her, even as he realized his mind and body were already hers… He cared for Hermione more than anyone else in the world; needed her… He-

He looked at the picture of her again, seeing her familiar smile that he loved to see, and he knew.

He looked back at Ron, green eyes meeting Ron's blue ones. "I- I do."

Ron nodded slowly, beginning to smile. "Then it's all ok, and I'm happy for you."

Harry held out a hand to Ron in a gesture unconsciously reminiscent of what Hermione had done a few nights ago, and Ron shook it as they each grinned, feeling an odd moment of male bonding after Harry's confession.

Harry broke the silence by asking, "How did your family take the news?"

Ron smirked slightly. "Ginny swore she wasn't at all surprised, had seen it coming a mile away. Fred and George, well, they just laughed about it, saying they never knew you and Hermione had it in you to act like people in a soap opera or a romance novel with secret liaisons. Mum was surprised but she's also been telling everyone who asks that this is all much ado about nothing and you had a perfect right to keep this a secret and there's no way you had any sinister motives."

Harry smiled. "Remind me to thank your mum next time I see her."

"Also, for what it's worth, Lucinda Throckmorton said that there wasn't anything going on between you two; the lunch had been purely accidental and only a friendly meeting. She also said she wishes you and Hermione well." Ron rolled his eyes slightly, as he added, "Her boring answer helped the initial buzz to die down though, so you should be fine once another more exciting story comes along."

"Thank Merlin for small mercies," Harry murmured.

Ron allowed himself a teasing smirk. "Well, really, Harry, you know all this media attention is your fault for being the most eligible bachelor and having such a 'charming smile'" He said the last two words in an exaggerated imitation of the languishing voice of a swooning girl.

Harry groaned. "When are you going to let me live that down?"

Ron grinned unrepentantly. "Never. It's much too entertaining to make fun of you." He paused before adding, "Following Gilderoy Lockhart's footsteps."

Harry grimaced and threw a cushion at Ron. "Prat," he said with mock annoyance.

Ron ducked, laughing out loud.

Harry tried to look irritated but finally gave in and laughed along with Ron and knew that Ron really was ok with him and Hermione being together.