Unofficial Portkey Archive

After the Morning After by kyc639
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

After the Morning After

kyc639

A/N: Despite working like a dog, I got the next chapter out. Who da man? WHO DA MAN?! Oops, sorry, I need to act my age.

Thanks to everyone who reviewed: you make writing worth writing (if that makes any sense). Anyways, here's the next chapter. I sorta experimented with the style in the first part of this chapter, but don't worry, it won't happen again, and hopefully it makes sense as well.

******

Still the Best of Friends…Now with Benefits!

"Well."

"Yes. Well."

"That was…unexpected."

"Mm-hmm. Unexpected."

"…"

"Hermione?"

"Yes?"

"Er…never mind."

"What is it Harry?"

"Nothing. It's nothing. Forget it."

"Harry Potter, you better tell me."

"Really Hermione, it's noth - hey! Wait! Don't…stop…all right, all right, I'll tell!"

"…"

"Well?"

"Oh, right. Erm…Hermione?"

"Yes?"

"Was it…I mean, did you like…erm…"

"Yes, Harry. It was wonderful."

"It was?"

"It was."

"Did you…you know."

"Did I what?"

"Did you…finish?"

"Yes Harry. Twice."

"Twice?"

"Twice."

"Really?"

"Well…"

"Oh."

"No, it was definitely once, and I think a little one after…like a short, but sweet encore."

"Ah, okay."

"You're looking awfully proud of yourself."

"Well, when you got it, you got it. Ow!"

"…"

"Harry?"

"Yes?"

"Did you…did you like it?"

"Me? Well, let me put it this way: you know how the guys back at Hogwarts sometimes talked about this?"

"What guys?"

"That's not important Hermione."

"Sorry."

"Anyways, the guys sometimes talked about this. But with you, it was infinitely better then how they described."

"Really?"

"Yeah…like comparing Ron's singing to Phoenix song. No comparison."

"Good."

"…"

"Hermione?"

"Yes?"

"What does this…what does this mean?"

"What do you mean?"

"What does this do to our friendship? Your friendship means everything to me; I don't want to risk it because of what happened."

"Oh Harry…your friendship means the world to me too. This won't ruin anything; I mean, it's happened before and we're still friends, right? Even if we don't remember what happened. However…"

"Yes?"

"It's probably best if this was the last time, you know?"

"Yeah. You're right. We wouldn't want to risk it anymore."

"…"

"Harry?"

"Yes?"

"What are you…ooh...doing?"

"Giving you a massage. You don't like it?"

"No…it's not…I mean, we shouldn't…you should…oh, never mind."

"…"

"Harry?"

"Yes?"

"What's that?"

"Hermione, I can't believe that you don't know what that is. After all, you were intimately acquainted with that just a few minute ago."

"Harry, I know what that is; why is it like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like…you know…awake?"

"Why not?"

"I thought…I thought afterwards, it takes a long time…?"

"Oh. Yeah, it usually does, but it's your fault, you know."

"My fault!?"

"Yes, with all your whimpering and wiggling around."

"Well, you were massaging me."

"So? You didn't have to move around or make sexy noises."

"Oh, you think I'm sexy now?"

"Well, you're noises at least."

"Just my noises?"

"Okay, I suppose there are a few other things too."

"Ah. Well then, if it's my fault that he's awake now, I imagine it's up to me to do something about it, right?"

"I imagine so."

"How's…this?"

"Ah…it's…it's…a start."

******************

"Hawrbry..whc pr"

"…"

"Hwweryb rwb"

"…"

"Harry…wkenwe"

"…"

"Harry wake up!"

"Hm? Wha?"

"Wakie wakie Harry."

"Wha…what time is it?"

"Almost dinnertime."

"Oh."

"We should get up."

"What? Why?!"

"If we hurry, we can still make it back to the Burrow before the party ends. But we have to come up with a good excuse first for where we've been."

"And what we've been doing."

"Yes, that too."

"Urgh. Okay fine. You're right. We should go."

"Okay. Turn around."

"What?"

"Turn. Around."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes I am. Turn around."

"Hermione, after what we just did, twice I might add, you still want me to turn around?"

"Yes."

"It's not like I haven't seen it before."

"Yes, but that was different. That was - what do you think you're doing?!"

"Hermione, I'm just trying to explain that I've seen this…and this…and especially, this."

"Harry, we have to go…"

"And not only did I see them, but I also did this to them…and this…and this…"

"Harry, you have to stop…we can't…hey! Why'd you stop!?"

"Well, you did say that the last time was the last time."

"Oh. Oh, I did, didn't I? Well, I think you misunderstood me."

"I did?"

"Oh yes indeed. When I said the 'last' time, I actually meant today would be the last time."

"Today?"

"Yes."

"As in the whole day?"

"Yes."

"Ah…well, my apologies then. It's all clear now. What time is it again?"

"Um…almost six."

"So we have about six hours until midnight, then?"

"I believe we do."

"I don't think I want to go to the Burrow anymore."

"Me either."

******************

Six weeks later found me outside the interrogation room at the Ministry of Magic. Earlier in the morning, a drifter was picked up south of London who matched the description of a wizard wanted for questioning on a case of mine. In order to get the information I wanted, I had to play the 'scary and intimidating' Harry; unfortunately, I was currently the 'aroused and subsequently creepy' Harry.

It wasn't my fault, honest. It was all Hermione's fault. Ever since that 'last time,' we've had more than a dozen 'last times.' By this point, we have about three 'last times' a week, and, as it was Tuesday, I was thinking about the 'last time' we would have tonight, explaining my current state of arousal.

At first, I resisted the idea of spending another one of those nights with her. Despite what she said, how could sleeping together not affect our friendship? I was more than prepared to fight the attraction and keep things on truly friends-only level. I knew what I had to do. My willpower was strong. My determination was high. My resolve was unbreakable.

For about two days, anyways. I truly am weak.

Hermione's really something. Although I always appreciated her studious nature (wouldn't have done nearly as well in school without her), it wasn't until she applied her research skills to our nocturnal activities when the true benefits became evident. I would have thought that Hermione's preferences in the bed would be rather tame - she seems the rather tame type, y'know? But, to my pleasant surprise, she was quite the experimenter. She would often have suggestions or ideas that I was more than eager to help explore. And tonight, she would be wearing her Hogwarts uniform with those shiny leather shoes, knee-length stockings, and her Prefect's badge. Naughty Harry's been caught out after curfew…

Ah well. With that image now in my head, any semblance of professionalism was hopelessly out-of-reach. But I had to try; I had a job to do.

God, sometimes I hate my job.

******************

Hermione and I have been sharing a bed for about three months now, and there didn't seem to be an adverse effect on our friendship. True, we haven't exactly discussed what exactly was going on here - what it means - but that was fine with me. Life was going well which, since my name is Harry Potter, obviously meant that something had to go wrong. Hermione and I were over at Ron's place one Saturday afternoon when that tall, gangly redheaded dummy tried to ruin my life.

It was once suggested that Ronald Weasley had the emotional range of a teaspoon, though I shouldn't judge since I'm not exactly on speaking terms with my own emotions. But back to Ron. Despite being the best friend of both Hermione and myself, he somehow managed to miss the fact that Hermione and I were keeping a rather significant portion of our relationship from him. So far, his obliviousness was an asset. Unfortunately, it would soon become a liability.

"Hermione, I found the perfect wizard for you," he said rather gleefully as we sat down to lunch.

I choked a little on the orange juice I was sipping. I looked over to Hermione to gauge her reaction. She met my eyes for a second before replying to Ron.

"Ron, you know I'm not interested in a blind date."

"C'mon Hermione, you haven't been on a date in months! And besides, Evan isn't blind; he can see perfectly well."

Hermione opened her mouth to respond, but I caught her eye and shook my head slightly; if Ron still can't figure out a telephone or pronounce the word 'electricity,' then I'd say he's a lost cause when it comes to all things Muggle.

"Well," Hermione said, deciding to let the 'blind' comment pass by, "unlike some people, I don't feel the need to go out on a date every week."

"Surely you're not referring to me, are you?" Ron asked innocently.

"No, of course not," Hermione said. "Sometimes you wait a week and half between dates."

"Ha, ha," Ron said. "But seriously Hermione, it isn't healthy."

"Isn't healthy? Need I remind you about the health dangers involved with dating multiple witches without-"

"No no!" Ron said quickly, interrupting Hermione. "Maybe 'healthy' wasn't the right word."

"Then what is the right word?" Hermione challenged.

Ron was silent for a second, before obviously coming up empty. "All I'm saying is that I know a nice wizard who would be perfect for you. He works for Fred and George."

"No thanks."

"C'mon Harry, help me out. Don't you think Hermione should go out on a date?" Ron said, looking to me for support. It suddenly felt like there was a spotlight on me, and now I knew what all the suspects I questioned must feel like. Talk about pressure! If I say no, then Ron might suspect something, wondering why I wouldn't want Hermione to go out on a date. But if I said yes, then Hermione might be mad at me and - wait, what am I thinking? Hermione and I aren't dating, so she wouldn't care either way. We're just best friends. Phew, no problem.

"Yes I do," I said rather proudly, having figured out the right answer all by myself.

Hermione looked at me a moment, her expression blank. Then she looked at Ron and smiled. "In that case, tell your friend I'd love to go out on a date with him."

At that point, Ron started to tell Hermione all about Mr. Wonderful. I knew I had made the right decision by saying she should go out on the date, but for some reason, I couldn't help but think maybe it was a little less 'right' then I thought.

*********

A/N: Sorry it's a bit of a short chapter; I find it's a lot harder to write long chapters in 1st person then in 3rd person - no narrative to fill up pages. Anyways, this seemed a good place to stop, and I couldn't think of anything to add. Unfortunately I have to get back to work so I can't write a lot here, but…

First, a big Thank you! to tome_raider, who mentioned me in her nifty LJ. Because of the firewall here at work, I can't access LJ except through my little cell phone, so I can never respond. But I wanted to let you know I definitely appreciate everything you've ever written about my stories.

And second, hi gallandro_83! Unfortunately, because of that same firewall, I can't access ff.net so I can't update anything there. But sorry, I don't think I'll ever go back to CoC. I regret leaving it unfinished, but I lack the motivation.

Have a safe holiday weekend (in the States) and see you next week!