Unofficial Portkey Archive

Think What You Want by Olivia Weasley
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Think What You Want

Olivia Weasley

A/N: Thanks again for the reviews, I'm glad everyone is enjoying this fanfiction; I know I'm having fun writing it! I have sooooo many rants about this chapter, please forgive me of it being slightly rushed (to me it seems that way) and all kinds of other things. I'm switching to Ron's POV for once, and I am probably going to be doing it quite frequently. Since I'm going to Galveston tomorrow, I tried to get this chapter up for ya'll! Hope you enjoy it!

Chapter Three

Luna grabbed her book bag hastily and headed out of the girl's dormitory behind several other girls in front of her. She entered the Common Room, walked straight through it unlike the other girls who stayed, and headed straight into the Entrance Hall. It wasn't a very bright day, the sky was gray and she could hear thunder rumbling from above. She loved dreary weather, it was the kind of weather that you took you your advantage and read a good book or study for the next test. Not very many students were already in the Great Hall this early, only the staff and a few students from each house. Walking past a small group of Slytherins who were crowded around the doors, Luna finally got to the Ravenclaw table, which was pretty empty. Over the next ten minutes, students began filing into the hall, chatting with the person walking beside them. She lazily took another bite of her toast when she saw Cho Chang and her tiny but loud group of girls surrounding her. Even though Luna and Cho were in the same house, they had never uttered a word to one another. Well, maybe Cho had teased Luna at some time, but nothing more. They were also two years apart, which meant barely any interaction. In the next five minutes, she saw Hermione walking into the hall. She was walking slowly, as if dragging her feet, which was very unlike her. She usually was bustling around, never taking a second look. But today was different; she plopped down onto one of the seats, and started getting some eggs from one of the bowls in front of her. Luna looked away from Hermione, and looked at the oak doors. Harry and Ronald came in (which caused Luna to take a deep breath), and Harry sat next to Hermione, while Ron sat next to Harry. Hermione shot a quick glance at Ron and then put her face on her hand. The rest of the students filed into the hall, and then people started to leave. Luna almost always watched everyone in the mornings; it was how she woke up. She couldn't think about anything else, it was like all of her thoughts were attached to the room she was in. After finishing most her breakfast, she shot a glance in Ginny's direction, and saw her eating with Ronald, Hermione, and Harry. Ginny smiled when she saw Luna looking over at her. Luna grinned back as she picked up her book bag and got up from the table. She saw Ginny get up too, and they met at the doors of the Great Hall.

"Did you sleep at all last night?" asked Ginny, yawning. Luna nodded her head and made her way to the History of Magic classroom, where her other classmates were filing inside.

"I hate this class, I really do," said Ginny irritably.

"It's not that bad, it's just a tedious subject," said Luna. Ginny just rolled her eyes and walked into the room where students were conversing about the first class of the term. Luna sat down at a desk in the back, beside Ginny. She wasn't talking to Ginny for five minutes when Professor Binns came through the chalkboard, announcing the beginning of class. Luna watched him for some time, he was talking about how they'd be studying Goblin Rebellions this term, and was also saying how they'd be on the OWLs at the end of the year. Luna took down notes through the class period, but stopped when there was 15 minutes to spare until class was over and gathered her things. Ginny was fast asleep before they had even reached the first hour of class, and Luna didn't bother to wake her up since she wasn't disturbing anybody.

"Why the hell didn't you wake me up?" asked Ginny angrily on their way to Charms. The bell had woken her up, and she accidentally fell out of her chair.

"Well you weren't bothering anyone since you weren't snoring, you needed sleep, and I took notes which you can copy later," said Luna matter-of-factly. Ginny thought for a moment, then nodded her head. She was always the one who wrote notes, and Ginny copied them. Especially since it was OWL year, and notes were essential in studying. The History of Magic OWL wouldn't be too hard… Luna was slightly startled at the sound of shrill laughter coming from behind her.

"Hey Loony, where'd you get those horrid shoes and socks?" asked none other than Parvati Patil, one of the girls who had a particular interest in teasing Luna about her clothes. Lavender was standing there with hands over her mouth, giggling hysterically. Luna looked down at the socks she had on, which were grey and purple, and her shoes, which were black and had faded flowers embroidered on them. While thinking of a good comeback,

"At a resale shop in London actually; don't you just love them?" asked Luna sweetly. Parvati's smile faded, and she stalked off, with Lavender Brown trailing behind her. Ginny was laughing with her hand to her mouth, and Luna grinned. She thought of how she just told off Parvati and shrugged. She had done it on many previous occasions, mostly because of her strange fashion sense. It was very old and fringed, which was what she loved about it. Parvati was the type of girl who had all of the name brands and had everything matched, which drove Luna crazy. She never had anything matched; even her earrings weren't the same. That train of thought was broken when Ginny grabbed Luna by the arm and took her into the Charms classroom.

Luna and Ginny found two seats in the back, right next to Michael Corner and some of his friends. Luna saw Ginny stop in her tracks and glare at Michael for a few moments, then sigh and sit down. Luna looked intently at Michael for a few moments as he joked about Ginny, then sat down and watched Professor Flitwick with boredom. She knew this period would already be boring as usual, but to make things worse…Flitwick didn't even ask them to take out their wands, but gave them another lecture about OWLs instead.

"These examinations will take place towards the end of the year, and will determine your life after Hogwarts as well. I wish all of you take this seriously, and do your best to take furtive notes this term. We will be reviewing information from the previous years, and new things will be brought into your education." At that, the bell that ended the class sounded and students started gathering their books. It seemed like the class was rushed to Luna, but maybe it was just because lunch was the next period, and she was starving to death.

.+.

Luna sighed as she finished writing her last word on the Potion's essay she had to finish. She knew it wasn't due for two days, but she just wanted to get it over with. She packed up her books and headed out of the library, passing Hermione Granger on her way out. They caught each other's glance for a couple of moments, and then Luna walked into the Entrance Hall, where students were buzzing around. She made her way through the traffic on her way to Ravenclaw Tower, but was having no luck whatsoever. Suddenly, as if someone pushed them out of her hands, her books fell to the floor with a clatter. As she bent down to pick them up, she heard the drawling voice of the one person who made her cry at night.

"How is Loony Lovegood today? Did you find everything I hid in the Astronomy Tower last term?" Luna didn't dare look up as she heard Draco Malfoy, whose brand new shoes were tapping the ground in front of her. Quickly and clumsily, she grabbed her books and tried to walk past him.

"You think you're going to get off that easy?" he asked, as Vincent Crabbe guffawed behind him.

"Leave me alone Draco…" she mumbled, so that the statement was barely audible.

"What was that Loony? Your Snorkak ran away? How dreadful," he said. Luna shook her head as she tried to walk past him again, but didn't succeed as he moved in front of her.

"What exactly do you want with me Draco?" she asked loudly, as she stared at him with her piercing eyes.

"Nothing really, it's just that it's fun taunting a mud-blood every once and a while," he sneered. Luna heard laughter all around her, along with gasps and squeals. She could feel the burning tears coming into her eyelids…

Malfoy muttered a spell and Luna's books flew high into the air, and fell to the ground about a few yards away. Everyone laughed and jeered, then slowly started walking away. Students kicked them and sent them in the opposite direction as she tried to pick them up. She sighed deeply as she packed her Arithmancy book in her bag.

"Malfoy is a prat, don't listen to him," came a warm voice from beside her. "Here, let me help you," said Ronald Weasley, as he handed her a Charms textbook. She hastily wiped away a tear, and looked at Ronald. While she took the book that was in his hand, she noticed that he still had that look on his face that he had the day before, which bothered Luna immensely. She hated to see him sad, and it was strange to see him not being his normal self. He was usually joking around with his friends, or hanging out with Harry Potter after a Quidditch Match. But now he was sad, and it was because of one of his best friends.

"Thank you," said Luna quietly as they both stood up from the ground. She barely reached his nose, and she looked up at him as he brushed himself off.

"So what were you doing in the Entrance Hall at this hour?" asked Luna in her usual dreamy tone of voice. He heaved a sigh and said,

"I was on my way to Gryffindor Tower actually, but I heard Malfoy and decided I was going to help whoever it was he was torturing," he made a disgusted look on his face. "Sorry, but does he usually do that to you?" he asked hesitantly.

"Yes…He's done far worse. Thanks for helping me with my books Ronald, my book bag is about to burst already," she smiled at him, which probably caused her eyes to look much larger than they already were. She searched for his brown eyes, which were avoiding her. He grinned weakly as she still stared at him disappointedly.

"Yeah. Well, I'll see you later then…" he said flatly as he walked away without looking back at her. Luna frowned. Why was it that he wouldn't look at her straight in the eyes? Maybe it was just because he was thinking elsewhere, maybe he was thinking about Hermione. Luna, don't think like that! You're not jealous of Hermione! She took a deep breath and watched him walk around the corner. At least she wasn't really having the butterflies anymore, but she did feel a rush of adrenaline when she saw him at first.

.+.

(Ron's POV)

Ron Weasley dragged himself into the Gryffindor Common Room, where a few students were doing their homework or chatting with friends. He looked around for Harry, Dean, or Seamus, but had no luck whatsoever. His eyes rested on Hermione, who was settled at a desk not to far away from him, and he had to resist the urge to go and talk to her. Ever since the fight they had had a few weeks ago, everything had changed. They weren't talking, she was always caught glancing at him, and there were many unnerved moments. She loved someone else. Not him, the person who loved her dearly. He watched as her hair came out of its messy ponytail and she tucked it behind her ear annoyingly while she finished an essay. He remembered her being in the library earlier, but maybe it was too noisy in there for her liking, and she decided to retreat to the Common Room. Ron watched her for a while in silence, until-

"You okay?" asked Harry from behind him. Ron tore his eyes away from Hermione. "Not really…can we talk upstairs?" asked Ron. Harry nodded his head and they both headed up the stairs into the dormitory, which was empty for the time being. Ron sat down on his bed and put his face in his hands.

"So what's going on?" asked Harry, his face frowning with confusion.

"I just can't stop thinking about her lately, ever since the row between us…" Ron said suddenly to Harry. It took Harry a few moments to comprehend who Ron was talking about, but caught on fast.

"I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about her either. But…" Ron shook his head at Harry and stood up, he couldn't stand sitting down right now. "There are other girls out there Ron, many girls…"

"Don't you understand? I loved her. I loved her with everything I had, but she loves someone else. How am I supposed to deal with that?" he asked hotly. Harry shook his head again unknowingly and looked down at the floor. "I told Hermione the way I felt about her, and what do I get? After almost 6 years of holding it inside myself, I built up the courage all summer to tell her my feelings. Then, the first time I'm alone with her at Grimmauld Place and confident enough, she says the one thing that I feared most. Who could that someone else be?" Ron stopped pacing and looked at Harry. He was playing with a piece of thread off of the pillow case, not looking at Ron. "Who do you think it could be?" asked Ron weakly as he sat in a chair beside his bed, running a hand through his hair.

"I don't know…" said Harry quietly. Ron moaned in frustration.

"Sorry I'm venting on you mate, but there's no one else to tell anything to," said Ron. Harry nodded his head, still not looking at Ron. What was up with Harry? Ron asked himself.

"Well it's too early to go to sleep, how about going back down to the Common Room?" asked Harry uncertainly.

"Nah, you go on. I need to think about some things…" said Ron. Harry muttered an `Okay' and then headed out of the dormitory. Ron wondered why Harry was barely talking to him. Whenever Ron talked about Hermione to Harry, he was always unusually quiet. He usually was never quiet about Hermione to Ron, but now…he just didn't want to talk about her. Ron sighed deeply as she thought about what had happened this afternoon to get his mind off of Hermione. He thought about how Draco teased Luna but Luna didn't do anything to defend herself. Ron always was perturbed by Luna, but today was the first time he'd ever felt pity for her. He remembered the look on her face and the tears on the verge of spilling out of her eyes. Ron lay down on the bed and situated himself so that he was staring at the ceiling. Before long, his eyes were drifting off into a slumber.

.+.

-->