Unofficial Portkey Archive

She was Luna like that. by CandiceMarie
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

She was Luna like that.

CandiceMarie

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter and any of the characters mentioned hereafter. They belong to the incredible JK Rowling. I am not making a single cent out of this. I wish I did, and was.

[A/N: Because you've all put away your pitchforks, and haven't burned me at the stake, I've decided to write a sequel to She was Luna like that, and here it is. See how well I played with the title? Now it's He Liked Luna like that? I'm telling you, I'm a genius. I do geniusy things, too. All bow down to my great geniusness. (insert eye-rolling here, please)

This ficlet is just as plotless and pointless as its predecessor, and I thank all of you who have reviewed that :)

As I did before, I slipped in a fandom term in this ficlet. In my defense, I found it cute in the middle of the day ^.^ See if you can find it :D

This is my attempt at fluff and humor together. Please refrain from flaming me again. I know, I know. It's hard. But I am stubborn, and probably won't even listen to you *smiles*

Reckon I should shut up now. Please enjoy. I insist :) ]

He liked Luna like that.

Ron Weasley felt different. It was the sort of different he couldn't quite explain. He went back to the Halloween Dance that night, and looked around the Great Hall. The live band was still playing their popular songs, Harry and Hermione were still dancing, the teachers and students were, too. Well, except Snape. He looked like he'd just swallowed something awful.

Nothing was different, really, other than how he felt. It was like he had found a new feeling. Or was it a new person to feel the feeling for?

Ron shook his head violently.

No, it wasn't possible. He fancied Hermione. Hermione was… annoying. No, no. Hermione was amazing. She knew exactly how to make Ron …angry. No, she knew exactly how to make Ron think. Luna didn't mind him angry, though… wait…Luna?

Ron shook his head violently again. Where did Luna come from, he asked himself. Yet, there was a small part of him that knew Luna had made quite an impression on him tonight, and he liked it. Perhaps it was this small part that was different about him.

But Ron denied it. In fact, he denied it so much, he failed to notice he was comparing every dress and pair of shoes to Luna's. None of the other girls had their dresses compliment their hair the way that Luna's did. None of the other girls were brave enough to wear such an odd combination of glass and wood for shoes, either.

Nope, Ronald didn't notice all that at all. And nobody even has flowers in their hair.

By the end of the night, Ron, failing to notice his growing interest in pink orchids, headed straight back to his dormitory. Harry and Hermione seemed to have gotten themselves lost… in the grounds of Hogwarts.

***

Over the next few of days, Ron found it very hard indeed not to smile a little at Luna whenever their eyes met. He didn't know why, really. She would return the smile, sometimes. Other times, she would just stare. Then he would go red. Then people would point this out, and he would go further red.

He still felt a bit unhappy that Hermione had chosen Harry, instead of him. It had been quite an awkward few days, too. So it was within reason when he found himself sitting all alone in one of the Quidditch stands this evening. He chose Gryffindor's, naturally, and sat in the corner, so that no one would see and bother him.

Then, as he was wallowing in self-pity, something hard and wet hit him in the face. He rubbed his cheek, and was ready to curse the person that threw it until Mrs Norris and Crookshanks made little Norrshanks and Crookises, when he realized what the hard and wet something was.

Ron looked at the bench in front of him, where the thing had landed, and saw a wet, dead fish. There was a note attached to the hook that was stuck in the fish's mouth. Ron raised his eyebrow in disbelief. Why would anyone throw me a fish?

He took the note, opened it, and read what it said:

There are plenty of other fish under the sea.

Ron felt himself smile, in spite of himself. He looked around the big Quidditch pitch. The only person that was there, apart from himself, was Luna Lovegood, on the Ravenclaw stands. From the looks of it, she was about to leave, with a dreamy, yet satisfied look on her face.

He didn't know whether or not he should follow her. He didn't even know why he wanted to. All he knew was, he missed the smell of pink orchids.

`Hey, Luna, wait!' he shouted. But she was now nowhere to be seen.

Ron ran down to the Quidditch pitch and saw no one still. He wondered why he felt so strongly about seeing her. Then for some reason, he couldn't for the life of him know why, he thought about looking for her in the Astronomy Tower.

***

`Hey, Ron. Where are you off to?' asked Ginny, as he passed through the oak doors.

`Astronomy Tower. Bye Ginny,' he said.

`That's funny, I just saw Luna head that way. Dunno why you'd want to go there now,' she said absentmindedly.

Ron stopped.

He turned to face Ginny. `What makes you think I don't want to go anyway, knowing full well Luna would be there?' he asked irritably.

`Well, I have no idea. But why are you so cross all of a sudden?' she asked, just as angry.

Ron was at a loss for words.

`I … I … I have to go. See you, Ginny.' he said.

This whole thing was driving Ron crazy. He had no idea why he felt this way, and no idea at all why he even liked it. But he was, and he did.

He knew the only person who could help him was-

`Luna,' he panted, having almost ran the whole way.

`Oh, hello, Ronald,' she said delightedly, looking at him. `What a pleasant coincidence! Did you come here to look at the moon, too?'

`Er, actually, no,' said Ron. `I wanted to - '

`I did it,' Luna said dreamily.

`Yes, I thought - wait - did what?' Ron asked, confused again.

`I threw the fish at you earlier,' she said, not bothering to hurry up answering.

`I - I sort of gathered as much. But that's not what I came here to find out.'

`Oh?' she faced the moon now. `What did you come here for, then?'

What did he come here for?

`I … don't know, exactly,' he admitted.

`Hmmm …,' said Luna serenely. `Well, I can't help you, sorry.'

`You can't - Why not?' asked Ron in disbelief.

Luna looked at him, her red Christmas ornament earrings swaying happily.

`Because I told myself I wasn't going to make you fall in love with me. Now it's your fault that you have,' she said matter-of-factly.

Ron gaped at her.

He couldn't believe her nerve. He couldn't believe he was telling her such nonsense. She really was loony.

Luna stared at him for about two more minutes. Then, she once again gazed up at the moon.

`Is it just me, or does that seem like an unusually red moon to you?' she asked Ron, tilting her head dreamily.

Ron, in spite of himself again, walked towards the window and next to Luna.

`Why, exactly, does that moon look red to you?' asked Ron, staring at the moon, which looked silver rather than red.

`It just does,' she said simply. `Sometimes you have to open your mind more than your eyes.'

It was the first time Ron had actually thought about opening his mind more than his eyes, but he couldn't quite help thinking, no matter how ridiculous a red moon sounded, that Luna was right.

`Luna,' he said quietly a few minutes later. `When you said you weren't going to make me fall in love with you, were you serious?'

Because Ron was not talking to a normal person, and was talking to Luna Lovegood, the answer he got was:

`Yes, Ronald, you may kiss me.'

Ron was taken aback by this answer. But he smiled awkwardly, and took her cheeks in his hands, and did what he had unconsciously wanted to do for days, and kissed Luna Lovegood.

As they broke their kiss, Luna looked into his eyes.

`Ronald?' she said sweetly.

`Yes, Luna?' he said, caught up in the moment.

`When people ask, tell them I didn't make you fall in love with me.'

It took a great amount of self-control not to roll his eyes, and shake his head smiling at this. Luna was close to insane and creepy, but then again, she was so sweet and believed deeply in herself … and he had to admit, as Luna playfully brushed her lips against his… He liked Luna like that.

--- The End ---

[A/N: Oh my… the pitchforks again >.< ]

-->