Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dreamscape by DigitalFeonix
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dreamscape

DigitalFeonix

Author's Note

Let me start by saying that I hate excessive author notes, so I avoid doing them myself. I would reply to most of your questions in the reviews, but often if I did that, it would ruin any plot twists/points/secrets that I have planned. When my fics are complete, I will try to answer any lingering questions either in the reviews or more likely in an Author's Note chapter like this at the end.

--

I want to start by telling you why and how I wrote this story. I wrote it for the smut. The idea of a series of sexual dreams that Harry shared with Hermione that finally culminated with them consummating their relationship in real life was the base of the story. I had to come up with a reason that they would even share dreams in the first place and that's how I came up with the Occulmency/Legimency flip. I didn't want them to share the same dream night after night. Even similar ones would have gotten boring. So I can up with a series of dreams that I though Hermione would have about Harry. (I happen to think that the quidditch dream would be one of her worst nightmares. Watching as he doesn't pull out of one of his dives and is injured so bad that he will die, coupled with the fact that she can't do anything about it makes her feel completely useless by not helping keep him safe.) Then I arranged them so the progression made some sense. The library dream had to be the last one before it crossed-over. By far the hardest part was writing the daytime events. They needed to parallel and prop up the dream sequences, give reason for Hermione to have each dream in the first place.

By now you should know why I didn't simply make the dreams italic text or some other way to easily distinguish them from real events, it would have ruined the twist at the end. I was surprised about how many of you made the leap and guessed at what was going on before I revealed it. I tried so hard to conceal it, but like JKR I still gave you plenty of clues. If you go back and read it, I never made mention that they were Harry's dreams (except out of Harry's own mouth). The dream sequences also started the same way every time, the five senses where introduced in the same order. The night Hermione snuck into his room, the order was different and he was "trying to lose himself in those cinnamon pools". He never made the legimency connection. Add the light taste of blood on her lips from biting them all day, and the obvious awkwardness of them and I was sure I had blown my twist.

Some of you said that Hermione was a little OOC. Now being that this was entirely a smutty fic to begin with, I had to push her in that direction. Hermione figured out what was happening and knew she would be the one who would have to do something about it. I thought I keep her somewhat shy and nervous, even the next morning. Being sexually active at 16 is quite normal these days, and need I remind you that those two have never been described as normal. That's part of the reason Harry enjoyed those dreams. They made him feel normal.

Now it seems a few are confused/frustrated by my ending and some of you didn't really realize that it was an ending. I felt that after Harry could no longer hold back anything from Hermione, especially nothing as important as the prophecy. Lots of you wanted to see Hermione's reaction to the prophecy or Ron's reaction to them being together. I thought that other authors have covered those subjects well enough, that to do it here would be too cliche. I tend to like these open-ended endings anyway.

As for a sequel, I'm happy people like my work and want to see me continue this story, but I wrote what I wanted to, a short smutty story. I have no plans on continuing the story and I won't unless a workable plot pops into my head. If I were to continue this I would have to go in some new direction, like radcliffeluvslave's idea of some time in the future.